PDA

View Full Version : hauberk

complac3ncy
05-26-2009, 07:00 PM
currently chewing up the idea of going from augmented chain up to hauberk. Any rangers out there that are sporting hauberk want to give some first hand comments?

I love the chain, and since my build is more of a all out open ranged ranger I like the redux and the hindrence is bearable....although I do use spike alot and love to toss some fury bombs every now and then. Comes in handy in Nelemar.

-Tenalin

Stunseed
05-26-2009, 07:02 PM
It's why I moved to hauberk.

BriarFox
05-26-2009, 07:17 PM
I wear hauberk - I like it better than augmented mostly for the AvD and CvA advantages. Higher crit divisor on the head doesn't hurt either. Also, it's easier to find a good set of hauberk.

Totally worth it, in my opinion.

kgolfer
05-26-2009, 09:54 PM
I'm in hauberk also, and haven't regretted it once. AvD/CvA/redux/head coverage......and don't mind the 11% hinderance.

AK

droit
05-26-2009, 10:13 PM
I cast a bunch, so I've stayed in aug chain.

Hecates
05-27-2009, 03:34 AM
since i moved into chain, i tossed up the hauberk idea, and prefered to stick with my augmeneted

The Ponzzz
05-27-2009, 03:59 AM
Not a ranger, but I was in hauberk and got the AsG service at CCF and placed my armor down to aug chain. The head coverage was nice, but the extra hinderance did get annoying (as a casting rogue). If you cast a lot, the extra percentage blows. Because 11% is more like 45%.

graysun
05-27-2009, 07:09 PM
I posted a similar question after CCF was announced, when I learned it may be possible to have my chain mail's ASG bumped up a bit.

The thread is here (http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=42005), but the responses appear to be similar to those posted in this thread.

I ended up choosing augmented chain, but I don't think there is a clear-cut, better answer between these two options.

The arguments for hauberk:

(1) chain coverage from the neck up

(2) better CvA (by 1 point) and better AvD (by 4 points against most attacks)

The arguments for augmented chain:

(1) lower spell failure (9% vs. 11% for rangers)

(2) lower manuever penalty

(3) requires 70 ranks of armor use instead of 110

Additionally, the new armor training mechanics provide for a reduction in the manuever penalty for each 50 ranks a character is overtrained in armor use. So, at 110 ranks - with augmented chain - one could either throw on a greathelm for hauberk coverage OR benefit from having a manuever penalty equal to wearing chain mail.

I'd say that if you can find a nice set of either type, it probably won't make a dramatic or life-changing difference compared to the other.

complac3ncy
05-28-2009, 11:06 AM
I posted a similar question after CCF was announced, when I learned it may be possible to have my chain mail's ASG bumped up a bit.

The thread is here (http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=42005), but the responses appear to be similar to those posted in this thread.

I ended up choosing augmented chain, but I don't think there is a clear-cut, better answer between these two options.

The arguments for hauberk:

(1) chain coverage from the neck up

(2) better CvA (by 1 point) and better AvD (by 4 points against most attacks)

The arguments for augmented chain:

(1) lower spell failure (9% vs. 11% for rangers)

(2) lower manuever penalty

(3) requires 70 ranks of armor use instead of 110

Additionally, the new armor training mechanics provide for a reduction in the manuever penalty for each 50 ranks a character is overtrained in armor use. So, at 110 ranks - with augmented chain - one could either throw on a greathelm for hauberk coverage OR benefit from having a manuever penalty equal to wearing chain mail.

I'd say that if you can find a nice set of either type, it probably won't make a dramatic or life-changing difference compared to the other.

Great response, and I agree. Another 40 ranks of armor is going to have to cut into my summoning lore. I am 2x in ambush so I have burned alot of TP's up. Thanks for the other responses.

AKOE!
05-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Are there any penalties for adding greaves or a helm to armor to bring it up to hauberk? I wasn't sure if there was a difference between just wearing hauberk or wearing chain mail with the other armor accessories added. I was thinking about getting a good set of chain mail and finding some nice accessories to go with it. Any reasons why this would be bad?

Izzy
05-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Are there any penalties for adding greaves or a helm to armor to bring it up to hauberk? I wasn't sure if there was a difference between just wearing hauberk or wearing chain mail with the other armor accessories added. I was thinking about getting a good set of chain mail and finding some nice accessories to go with it. Any reasons why this would be bad?

Yes.

1) Weight: accessories are generally heavy-ish (relative to a full suite)
2) Loss of CvA & AvD
3) Hindrance of the full suit without the benefits

Basically torso chain plus accessories = heavy hauberk without CvA/AvD benefits.

kgolfer
05-28-2009, 12:02 PM
If you add a helm to augmented chain, it is now treated as hauberk as far as training off the hinderances.

AK

AKOE!
05-28-2009, 01:17 PM
oh wow... well I actually wear double chain and was about to add leg greaves to go up to augmented chain. I guess I should start looking for a set of augmented chain instead... My double chain is spiked and hcp. Adding greaves will only give me half the padding and kill the spikes on my legs completely won't it?

graysun
05-28-2009, 02:00 PM
If your base armor is padded, then the last part of the following 620 update announcement may be of interest to you.

----------------------------

Mestys posted the following on the ranger boards in December 2007:

Resist Nature, Ranger spell 620, has been updated to allow the spell to imbue certain armor accessory items with resistance. Any armor accessory items comprised chiefly of wood, leather, cloth, or bone are eligible for resistance.

620 resistance benefits for armor accessories will only apply when used in conjunction with rigid leather torso armor or below -- no benefit will be garnered from wearing them with chain or plate class torso armor. However, armor accessories imbued with resistance via 620 will also not cause the typical reduction in effective padding when worn with crit or damage padded chain or plate class torso armors, while the reduction will still apply when worn with rigid leather torso armor or below.

-M.

This message was originally posted in Rangers, Ranger Spells.

droit
05-28-2009, 02:24 PM
The greaves won't halve the padding on your leg unless they have flares/padding/spikes. If they're just enhancive, your padding will not be affected. Your leg spikes will be covered, though.

thefarmer
05-28-2009, 02:26 PM
However, armor accessories imbued with resistance via 620 will also not cause the typical reduction in effective padding when worn with crit or damage padded chain or plate class torso armors.

620 stuff still won't work with chain and above class armors....

graysun
05-28-2009, 02:40 PM
620 stuff still won't work with chain and above class armors....
Yes - in terms of resistance, imbued greaves will not work with anything above rigid leather.

AKOE!
05-28-2009, 03:06 PM
so adding those engraved mithril legguards with the perm very fire resistance won't half my padding? I'm willing to give up the spikes I guess

thefarmer
05-28-2009, 03:18 PM
so adding those engraved mithril legguards with the perm very fire resistance won't half my padding? I'm willing to give up the spikes I guess

Perm resistance will halve padding. Ranger resistance will not.

BriarFox
05-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Actually, what I'm pretty sure Mestys was saying there is that while you get no benefit from having ranger-resisted accessories over any armor above rigid leather, neither do you get the normal negatives (i.e. halved padding).

AKOE!
05-28-2009, 11:04 PM
hmmm so what if the leg greaves have perm. resistance and flares? Is the padding only halved still? I'm trying to figure out if I'm better protected by adding greaves and only getting half the padding or leaving the greaves off and keeping all the padding..