PDA

View Full Version : 8x ancient rolaren warshield

Vivina
05-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Warshield for auction, just in time for CCF! I deliver to Illistim and FourWinds. Please post or PM here.

>examine war
Crafted of well polished rolaren, the golvern-bound warshield appears to have been handed down from generation to generation. Its face displays a pattern of ancient runes which have been carefully patterned into the shape of a raging elemental tempest inset with powerful bolts of lightning. Two thick leather straps emerge from its underside to support a firm grip. If you look closely, engraved around the rim are the words, "The power of thought -- the magic of the mind." You also notice a small enchanter's glyph.

a golvern-bound ancient rolaren warshield
8lbs, +40, medium shield, 73/250

MB: 10M
BO: throw something yummy my way
CB: 15M - JSE - SOLD

Since there are no other bidders and JSE is going to honor his bid, I am going to close this auction (b/c CCF is starting in 2 hours and I want to deliver the shield).

Thank you for looking!

Wrathbringer
05-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Any chance that's an unconverted tower shield?

thefarmer
05-19-2009, 07:43 PM
warshield isn't a noun for a towershield

Izzy
05-19-2009, 08:25 PM
10m

JSE
05-19-2009, 09:38 PM
12 m

Wrathbringer
05-19-2009, 09:55 PM
warshield isn't a noun for a towershield

So? Neither is phalanx shield but I've got two of them and they're both unconverted towers.

Lucos
05-19-2009, 10:52 PM
So? Neither is phalanx shield but I've got two of them and they're both unconverted towers.

So basically, they are medium shields....

Mateius
05-20-2009, 01:59 AM
How does shield conversion work?

Kitsun
05-20-2009, 02:04 AM
Most town armorers have a conversion tub or bin or something. Put it in and have it "fixed" to the appropiate base to match the noun.

Wrathbringer
05-20-2009, 07:34 AM
So basically, they are medium shields....

Correct, but they have the potential to be tower shields if they are unconverted tower shields. I didn't think I'd have to get into the minute details with people who are supposed to be "experienced" with the game. You all are supposed to know this stuff.

Donquix
05-20-2009, 08:31 AM
I think his point was that warshield is not a tower alternate noun, and from what I understand of the converter it just checks the noun against the approved list.

Phalanx i think is on the approved list, just not listed on the website (shocking) which would explain your phalanxs being towers.

Wrathbringer
05-20-2009, 11:35 AM
The shield could have been an unconverted veniom-bound rolaren tower shield altered into a "warshield", which would then make it an unconverted tower. I've made both tower and medium shields into warshields in the past, so "Any chance the shield is an unconverted tower shield?" is thus a valid and simple question requiring only a simple yes or no answer from the owner. If I wished to know the list of approved nouns, I would have asked, "Does anyone know if warshield is on the approved noun list for tower shields?"

However, I'm always amused by the ignorant "answers" to questions from people who have nothing to do with the item in question, and thus have no business answering it. It's usually the same "know it all" people each time, I've noticed. Ah, the stupid... It does indeed burn.

Sorry Vivina, for the sidetrack. This could have been avoided if folks had minded their own business and not presumed to speak for you. Still interested in the answer though, if you have any knowledge of it. Thanks.

Izzy
05-20-2009, 11:58 AM
13m

Donquix
05-20-2009, 12:07 PM
The shield could have been an unconverted veniom-bound rolaren tower shield altered into a "warshield", which would then make it an unconverted tower. I've made both tower and medium shields into warshields in the past, so "Any chance the shield is an unconverted tower shield?" is thus a valid and simple question requiring only a simple yes or no answer from the owner. If I wished to know the list of approved nouns, I would have asked, "Does anyone know if warshield is on the approved noun list for tower shields?"

However, I'm always amused by the ignorant "answers" to questions from people who have nothing to do with the item in question, and thus have no business answering it. It's usually the same "know it all" people each time, I've noticed. Ah, the stupid... It does indeed burn.

Sorry Vivina, for the sidetrack. This could have been avoided if folks had minded their own business and not presumed to speak for you. Still interested in the answer though, if you have any knowledge of it. Thanks.

True enough. Though no one said it couldn't be a tower, nor was any answer suggested ignorant. 90% of warshields are going to be medium.

Your apparent collection of a dozen or so tower warshields notwithstanding.

Wrathbringer
05-20-2009, 12:41 PM
True enough. Though no one said it couldn't be a tower, nor was any answer suggested ignorant. 90% of warshields are going to be medium.

Your apparent collection of a dozen or so tower warshields notwithstanding.

1. Yes, the answer suggested by farmer was ignorant. He didn't know the answer to the question, but answered anyway. That, by definition, is answering out of ignorance and is thus an ignorant answer. Let's call a spade a spade, shall we?

2. Unless you're aware of the properties of every warshield in the game, your statement about warshields being 90% medium is also ignorant, since there's no other way you could reliably arrive at that figure.

3. As for my collection, I've played off and on since the early '90's, so I've seen and done a little bit over that time. Doesn't mean I kept everything I ever altered though. My warshields are long gone.

Lucos
05-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Correct, but they have the potential to be tower shields if they are unconverted tower shields. I didn't think I'd have to get into the minute details with people who are supposed to be "experienced" with the game. You all are supposed to know this stuff.

It's like this. If the noun isn't on the approved list of tower shields, then you cannot convert it to a tower shield. I don't care what is USED to be...it could have been a tower shield back in GS3, and then you altered it into a phalanx shield....and as soon as you did that, it is no longer an "unconverted tower shield". It is an unapproved shield name.

Now you can ask that phalanx be put on the approved list of names for tower and then you can convert it to a true mechanical tower shield, but until then, it is a medium shield.

Phalanx could also possibly be in the approved noun category in the conversion chamber and not on the list posted on the website, but I doubt it.

Expierienced enough for you, or do you need more minute details on how the process works?

Vivina
05-20-2009, 01:51 PM
I do no mean to be rude, but would you please create another post and move this discussion to a more appropriate topic? I would rather this auction not get clouded with banter back and forth.

I will be more than happy to link to your topic/post for all of those interested in this discussion. Please PM me the link.

Thank you.
~Vivi

Wrathbringer
05-20-2009, 03:33 PM
It's like this. If the noun isn't on the approved list of tower shields, then you cannot convert it to a tower shield. I don't care what is USED to be...it could have been a tower shield back in GS3, and then you altered it into a phalanx shield....and as soon as you did that, it is no longer an "unconverted tower shield". It is an unapproved shield name. This isn't true. I've assisted and had it done with an unconverted tower shield altered to be a warshield. It was made into a tower.

Now you can ask that phalanx be put on the approved list of names for tower and then you can convert it to a true mechanical tower shield, but until then, it is a medium shield.
Also not true. Phalanx is already on the approved list for towers, just not listed on the website, and can be converted at any time.

Phalanx could also possibly be in the approved noun category in the conversion chamber and not on the list posted on the website, but I doubt it.
Actually, this is the case (whether you doubt it or not makes no difference) and so you've just contradicted your entire argument as you've stated it above- "It is an unapproved shield name". Why you'd make the first argument only to contradict it later makes no sense. Maybe you're stating both sides of the argument so that you can say you're right no matter which position is correct. I can only guess at this point.

Expierienced enough for you, or do you need more minute details on how the process works?
To sum up, you were wrong twice, then made a statement that you doubted which turned out to be correct and proved yourself wrong. Well done. No, I think your job is finished here. Thanks.

But I can agree with you here: The stupid... It does indeed burn. Vivina, I'm finished here.

Donquix
05-20-2009, 03:50 PM
My experience with shield conversions has been the same as Lucos'. Including being denied on an assist for an altered eonake tower shield after the conversion.

It's gemstone....results may vary by what gm you get, what time of day it is, and what color underoos warden happened to have put on that day.

Switch to decaf. :)

JSE
05-20-2009, 06:03 PM
15m

Vivina
05-21-2009, 06:39 AM
morning bump - love those ;)

JSE
05-21-2009, 09:58 AM
I have a question. Nuc is running an auction in the auction folder. I see he has essentially the same shield for sale with mb of 12 which Izzy has bid on. He also has a 10X rolaren for sell. I would prefer the 10X to the 8X, but seeing how I have bid on this and the next lower bidder, Izzy has bid on the 8X there, I feel duty bound to honor my bid here. I am not sure what the correct procedure is in a case like this. I really would prefer to try to buy the 10X on Nuc's auction, but if in a case like this I am expected to buy this one I will do so. Comments would be appreciated.

Fallen
05-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Ask the seller if he minds you backing out of the bid. If he doesn't, then you're in the clear. Otherwise, honor your bid.

Morph
05-21-2009, 10:26 AM
I have a question. Nuc is running an auction in the auction folder. I see he has essentially the same shield for sale with mb of 12 which Izzy has bid on. He also has a 10X rolaren for sell. I would prefer the 10X to the 8X, but seeing how I have bid on this and the next lower bidder, Izzy has bid on the 8X there, I feel duty bound to honor my bid here. I am not sure what the correct procedure is in a case like this. I really would prefer to try to buy the 10X on Nuc's auction, but if in a case like this I am expected to buy this one I will do so. Comments would be appreciated.

Good sir, you are well within your rights to retract your bid. Uniform Commercial Code Article 2-328(3), which governs Sale by Auction, states as follows "In an auction with reserve the auctioneer may withdraw the goods at any time until he announces completion of the sale. In an auction without reserve, after the auctioneer calls for bids on an article or lot, that article or lot cannot be withdrawn unless no bid is made within a reasonable time. In either case a bidder may retract his bid until the auctioneer's announcement of completion of the sale, but a bidder's retraction does not revive any previous bid."

And here I thought law school was a waste of my time :D

Lord Orbstar
05-21-2009, 12:25 PM
harumph harumph!

JSE
05-21-2009, 02:31 PM
After thinking this over I have decided I should honor my bid and will do so.

Nuc
05-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Morph cracks me up.