PDA

View Full Version : The big leap.

Trinitis
02-21-2004, 01:41 AM
Ok, I'm pondering this..and wondering what I should do.

I started playing around with my training plan on Adredrin today..mainly because everyone keeps telling me I'll be a lot stronger with a weapon/shield combo rather then my runestaff.

so I worked it out.

To pick up .5x shield and 1x edged...I loose all 10 of my tripples in spells, 36 ranks of perception, 33 ranks of elemental mana control, and 33 ranks of spirital mana control.

Does this seem worth it? I'd loose about 10-15 DS from 102, and 10-15 DS from 120..gain about 3-4 CS.

Any thoughts?

-Adredrin

Drew2
02-21-2004, 01:44 AM
People who tell you a sorcerer would be better with weapon/shield are idiots. Kill them immediatly.

His DS may be higher, but his casting goes down and he doesn't pwn as much. Stay with Runestaff, I say.

Also he won't get OHC bonus with sword in hand.

[Edited on 2-21-2004 by Tayre]

Betheny
02-21-2004, 08:52 AM
I've never had a problem with runestaff DS. On any character. The only reason you'll get a little higher DS is because you'll get set increases, and you'll get an extra bonus from whatever weapon and shield you use. Not really worth it in my opinion.

02-21-2004, 09:11 AM
its not worth it for sorcs, if you were a cleric yes, sorc no

Fallen
02-21-2004, 10:16 AM
Im a brawler. Cant help you.

StrayRogue
02-21-2004, 10:51 AM
My sorc has edged/shield. I can up hunt against critters whom have larger attacks quite easily. The points lost, to me, is moot, as Scroll Infuse or MIU aren't really worth the points (I .5x each). However, I'm also in studded leather armor and a giantman whom can take some beefy hits.

Another point that none of the above Mechanical Einstein's raised was the availability of runestaves. I can get a nice edged and 10x shield for the price of an 8x runestave. I can also count on one hand how many high enchant runestaves are out there. If you want defense, go shield/edged. If you want to be a whimp whom my rogue at the mid-thirties can kill in one ambush (ask Tierus about this), go runestave.

[Edited on 21-2-04 by StrayRogue]

CrystalTears
02-21-2004, 10:56 AM
A runestaff doesn't have to be of a high enchant to work effectively (or any other weapons for that matter). I'm not a magic user but my fiance is and he uses a regular 4x runestaff and he has no problems at all as a wizard. Not sure how differently it would be as a sorceror, but from the ones I know, they mostly use 4x and don't die as much as they did in GS3. <shrugs> Different strokes for different folks I guess.

crazymage
02-21-2004, 10:59 AM
54 mage i had a 9x runestaff, sold it i do fine with my 5x one.

Wezas
02-21-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
My sorc has edged/shield. I can up hunt against critters whom have larger attacks quite easily. The points lost, to me, is moot, as Scroll Infuse or MIU aren't really worth the points (I .5x each). However, I'm also in studded leather armor.

Another point that none of the above Mechanical Einstein's raised was the availability of runestaves.

I was actually thinking you had a helpful post up until that point, turns out you're still a fucktard.

StrayRogue
02-21-2004, 11:58 AM
A fucktard so very much smarter than you Wezas. I know which I'd be. HA.

StrayRogue
02-21-2004, 12:09 PM
My own sorc is on a frozen account at the moment, but this is the results of a level 42 sorcerer whom uses edged/shield:

10x shield
5x leathers
Voln Symbol
DS = 464

Trinitis
02-21-2004, 12:27 PM
See, without voln symbols. My level 65 Sorc pulls about the same DS with a runestaff.

Your argument about a rogue killing me is moot. I have no battles with others, and if one does occure, I will win a long time before the rogue knows I'm comming to begin with. ;)

I've pretty much desided to stick with the runestaff. As for the lack of high enchant runestaves..well, I've got unlimited, so ::shrug:: Same with shields, and armor..etc etc. The boons of having access to your girlfriends enchanter :)

-Adredrin

StrayRogue
02-21-2004, 12:32 PM
Thats your choice. I definately think it is becoming the norm, which is cool, as I feel its alot more characterful of the pure's in a fantasy setting. Just remember though, with my ambushing example, ambush takes down the targets DS to their offensive DS (+ spells of course). Now I don't think you'll come across many critters whom ambush, but I recently read a post saying their offensive DS was higher WITHOUT a stave than with it.

Overall though, you have more tps with the Staves (thats the payoff for having a lower DS). Those triples add up to something I can't replicate: TD. However, the fact I wear heavier armor (CAvA) slightly off-sets this.

If it was still the period where you could reallocate with impunity, I'd suggest you try it out. However, I wouldn't waste your Fix Skills on something you are unsure of.