PDA

View Full Version : Help

kallindra
05-13-2009, 12:34 PM
I know this will seem like a retarded idea...

But I'm thinking about making a polearm wielding (sylvan) ranger, and am trying to get the stats right. Anyone have any ideas/help?

Asha
05-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Someone who posts here has done this before to some good effect, same race.
He used a scythe.
Grrr who the fuck was it?

BriarFox
05-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Belnia/Adam tried poles for awhile. He might have some good advice.

I think you just need a high AgiDex score for a decent swing RT ... but I'm not certain.

kallindra
05-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Very good question... who?

Griffinex
05-15-2009, 12:20 AM
I've actually been debating returning in the near future before the next fixskill happens to use up my current leftover one, and had considered switching up to either THWs or polearms just because I haven't tried them out yet. From what I recall on what I was thinking about for the polearm route, ideally you're going to want your agidex bonus to be at least 53 at a reasonable number of trains so you can use a lance/awl-pike at 5 seconds. Also pretty sure there's no ambushing with polearms, so it'd probably be best to skip training in hiding/ambushing. Without ambushing you'll probably want to pick up a combat maneuver like feint or train up your summoning lores if TPs allow for some decent setup moves.

Belnia
05-15-2009, 10:51 PM
Sylvans can achieve a 65 AgiDex combined bonus, plenty to use even a lance in 5 seconds. Polearms are expensive as anything for a ranger, and you don't get Charge. Trip sucks.

I actually found myself using a high enchant naginata more than my fancy forged awl-pike towards the end of my time with polearms. I would suggest Voln, since you'll have an open hand and could conceivably do Polearms/Brawling. Use the kick as a set up to knock something down, then shish-ka-bob it.

Forget ambushing, just work from the open. Sounds and Vine would be your friends.