PDA

View Full Version : Common PsiNet Update problems

JamusPsi
05-12-2009, 11:18 AM
:sorry: (Sticky please)

So, here's the deal with the new update. I switched to using a real installer, using the new .NET installer framework. Problem is, it's buggy, and I had to work around all sorts of bugs to compensate for a frequently-updated application- and one which modifies the registry of OTHER programs as part of its installation.

It's the first one I've done, and it didn't end up as smooth as I'd have liked it.

Scroll down looking for your problem.

My keys are lost!
I'm resetting keys frequently because of this problem. The key system as a whole is going away in the next few months, replaced by a new system to ensure security. Contact me to fix it.

Also, your keys are contained in the Sage folder, under the Profiles folder. (C:\PsiNet\Profiles or C:\Program Files\PsiNet Sage\Profiles). While these are migrated during a normal upgrade, if you've been having problems, you may not have gotten them moved automatically.

Stuck at 98% complete
Check behind the installer window for a popup box with an OK message. Yes, it's retarded, but this is what the Windows Installer does, and I haven't figured out how to tell it to be, you know, sane.

Waiting for FE forever
Two possible causes: PsiNet has the wrong location of the launcher, and is not starting it correctly. Uninstall PsiNet, reinstall the launcher (see below for note), make sure you can get into the game, and then install PsiNet again.

Another possible cause, on Vista: Simu's launcher is sometimes marked as an administrative program in a stroke of brilliance I can't figure out how to replicate. PsiNet2 needs that same level of permissions in order to run it. Find the PsiNet2.exe file (C:\Program Files\PsiNet Sage\PsiNet2.exe). Right click it, click Properties, click the Compatibility tab, and towards the bottom, select Administrator under Privilege Level. Click Ok to submit this change.

When logging in, the file is in use
PsiNet is running itself instead of the launcher. Uninstall PsiNet, install the launcher (see below for note), make sure you can get into the game, then install PsiNet again.

On Vista, when installing, you are either told that you are not an administrator, or you get an error code 2287 (I think?). This means that the Windows Installer is not automatically running as an Administrator, something that appears to happen on about 5% of Vista computers, for no reason I can figure out.

Visit http://www.psinfinity.net/help/vista-install.html for instructions on figuring this out. You may not be able to open the .reg file listed there automatically. If so:

Click Start, click Run, type REGEDIT, click OK.
In the new window, click File, click Import. Browse to the folder where you saved the reg file, and to the right of the filename box, change Registration Files (.reg) to All Files. Choose the file you saved, and click ok.

Once the registry file is installed, right click the .msi installer for Sage and click Run as Administrator.

I can't even reinstall the Launcher!!
Simu's launcher was changed last year to use a different method which circumvented the hijack Sage uses. So I changed Sage to hijack it more. This causes Launcher's install program to choose a default installation directory which does not exist. (It tries to install into PsiNet2.exe as though it were a directory.) When installing the launcher, make sure you choose a directory that makes sense, like c:\Program Files\Simu\Launcher

http://www.play.net/software/lnchinst.exe

I can't link to PsiNet after the upgrade!
Your firewall program is probably blocking it, since the new version is both in a new place and a very different looking executable. You may need to tell your firewall to allow both incoming and outgoing connections for it.

Also, check to make sure that you have actually upgraded. Type PSINET VERSION in the game to see what version is loading. If you see 2.1.2.1873, you are using the OLD version. You should be in 2.2.0.

Other Problems
Contact me at PsiNet Jamus on AIM.

JamusPsi
05-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Please sticky

Giogionni
12-01-2009, 01:04 AM
I still haven't been able to install the new PsiNet. I've tried everything, but I'm still getting error 2869. The link http://www.psinfinity.net/help/vista-install.html takes me to a page about Infiniti cars.

Cephalopod
12-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Try here: http://psinet.dynalias.net/help/vista-install.html