PDA

View Full Version : USG condemns land for Flight 93 park

Trouble
05-07-2009, 01:17 PM
By DAN NEPHIN, Associated Press Writer Dan Nephin, Associated Press Writer – Thu May 7, 9:57 am ET (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090507/ap_on_re_us/us_flight93_memorial;_ylt=AgpBeEv1DlHWT_9Bplwzv8gD W7oF)

PITTSBURGH – The government will begin taking land from seven property owners so that the Flight 93 memorial can be built in time for the 10th anniversary of the 2001 terrorist attacks, the National Park Service said.

In a statement obtained by The Associated Press, the park service said it had teamed up with a group representing the victims' families to work with landowners since before 2005 to acquire the land.

"But with few exceptions, these negotiations have been unsuccessful," said the statement.

Landowners dispute that negotiations have taken place and say they are disappointed at the turn of events.

The seven property owners own about 500 acres still needed for what will ultimately be a $58 million, 2,200-acre permanent memorial and national park at the crash site near Shanksville, about 60 miles southeast of Pittsburgh.

"We always prefer to get that land from a willing seller. And sometimes you can just not come to an agreement on certain things," park service spokesman Phil Sheridan said.

"Basically, at this point, we have not been able to acquire all the land we need," he said.

Even with willing sellers, Sheridan said title questions, liens and other claims can arise that would have to be worked out and could delay the project.

"We had a group of people who took some very heroic actions. It's just fitting and right that we get this done in time for the 10th anniversary," he said.

The next step will be for the U.S. Justice Department to file a complaint in federal court. A court would have to decide the matter and would set a value on the land.

Two owners account for about 420 acres the park service plans to condemn, including Svonavec Inc. — which owns 275 acres, including the impact site where 40 passengers and crew died. About 150 acres are owned by a family that operates a scrap yard.
Most of rest of the land to be condemned are small parcels, two of which include cabins.

Tony Kordell said the park service visited him late Friday afternoon and made him an offer for his 150 acres. He declined to give the price, but said his attorney requested the appraisal used to determine the value on Monday.

He's not gotten that appraisal, he said Thursday. On Wednesday, he was told the park service would condemn the land.

The property Kordell owns includes the scrap yard, which must be relocated and he said cost to move the business also hasn't been determined. The property includes where the visitor center, parking lot and park walkways will be placed, he said.

"We've been working with (the park service) all along. We've given them rights to come on the property" to do planning, he said.

"All it's going to do is cost a huge amount of money for attorneys," he said.

Randall Musser owns about 62 acres that the park service wants to acquire.

"They apologized about the way it's come together, but what's sad is they had all these years to put this together and they haven't," he said.
Musser served on the committee that helped establish the park's boundaries and said landowners were promised in 2002 that eminent domain would not be used.

"It's absolutely a surprise. I'm shocked by it. I'm disappointed by it," said Tim Lambert, who owns nearly 164 acres that his grandfather bought in the 1930s. The park service plans to condemn two parcels totaling about five acres — land, he said, he had always intended to donate for the memorial.

"To the best of my knowledge and my lawyer, absolutely no negotiations have taken place with the park service where we've sat down and discussed this," Lambert said.

Lambert said he had mainly dealt with the Families of Flight 93 and said he's provided the group all the information it's asked for, including an appraisal.

While he knew that condemnation was a possibility, he thought it was an unlikely scenario and that the park service and family group had wanted to acquire the larger parcels before dealing with owners of smaller properties.
"I was never told that May was the drop-deadline," he said.

Patrick White, the vice president of Flight 93 Families, welcomed the park service's action and had planned to ask for it at an upcoming meeting with Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar.

"We appreciate the timely nature of this decision, which will keep us on the timetable for the tenth year dedication of the permanent memorial," he said in a statement.

Sheriden said condemnation is rarely used. The last time the park service used it, he said, was to acquire a tower at the Gettysburg battlefield in 2000. The tower was demolished to return the battlefield to the way it looked in 1863.

In February, government officials and representatives of the 33 passengers and seven crew members killed when the plane crashed on Sept. 11, 2001, pledged to dedicate a memorial on the site by the 10th anniversary. Officials said then that more than 80 percent of the needed land had been secured.

United Flight 93 was traveling from Newark, N.J., to San Francisco when it was diverted by hijackers with the likely goal of crashing it into the White House or Capitol. The official 9/11 Commission report said the hijackers crashed the plane as passengers tried to wrest control of the cockpit.

----------------

Ok we obviously don't have the whole story here but it does seem pretty underhanded what the government is doing. Why do they need 2200 acres for a park? No disrepect to the people who died on that flight but I think it insults their heroic actions by having other citizens' freedoms infringed upon in their name. There has to be another way.

Atlanteax
05-07-2009, 01:39 PM
*Why* the Memorial?!!? Just add 93 and the list of names to the one in NYC/DC

Parkbandit
05-07-2009, 01:45 PM
I used to laugh at my Father in Law for being so suspicious about the Government.

I'm no longer laughing...

Kuyuk
05-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Thats fucked up..

If they fucked me like that I'd probably blow up whatever building they built there.

fucking dicks.

K.

Proxy
05-07-2009, 08:20 PM
How is any of this a surprise?

AestheticDeath
05-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Yeah I wouldn't take it well if the government tried to take my land, or any other belongings. Theft is theft as far as I am concerned.

Trouble
06-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Apparently the Govt is backing off a little:

SOMERSET, Pa. – The federal government backtracked Friday and decided not to seize the western Pennsylvania property needed to build a Flight 93 memorial, saying instead it would renew negotiations with landowners.
Interior Secretary Ken Salazar and U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter, D-Pa., met Friday with people who own the land where the hijacked flight crashed on Sept. 11, 2001. The meeting came a month after the National Park Service announced that talks to get the remaining land for the memorial were unsuccessful and they would use eminent domain.
The government has said it wants the memorial built in time for the 10-year anniversary of the terrorist attacks.
"They too were the victims of 9/11 in terms of what happened," Salazar said of the landowners. "I do believe we will find a good way and a positive way to move forward."
Landowners will receive fair-market value for their property, Salazar said. Going forward, the head of the National Park Service's acquisitions program will be directly responsible for communicating with the families, he said.
The announcement, though, doesn't take eminent domain completely off the table. The government said it still has the option to use it, but will do so only as a last resort.
Christine Williams, who along with her husband owns about 6 acres at the site, said that she believes the announcement will help the process move faster — but that it doesn't make giving up the land any easier.
"This was to be a property that we retired to," a tearful Williams said. "We didn't want to leave, and we still don't want to leave."
Some landowners also still questioned whether there was enough time to negotiate and have the memorial ready for a 2011 opening.
Specter said the "landowners have been good neighbors and there have been some miscommunications. Here and now we have to recognize the contributions of the landowners," he said.
The government also announced that it planned to include something in the memorial design to recognize the contribution of the landowners. They didn't give details of what that would be.
Flight 93 was en route from Newark, N.J., to San Francisco when it was diverted by hijackers. The official 9/11 Commission report said the hijackers crashed the plane while passengers tried to take control of the cockpit.

Khariz
06-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Thats fucked up..

If they fucked me like that I'd probably blow up whatever building they built there.

fucking dicks.

K.

:rofl:

MrTastyHead
06-05-2009, 08:59 PM
So they're not going to go in and take the land...unless the owners don't agree to give it up. That's just awesome.

Thats fucked up..

fucking dicks.

K.

Fire is easier and leave less evidence. I'd burn the whole fucking park to the ground.

thefarmer
06-05-2009, 09:01 PM
They should have sold a long time ago. Fair market value now is in the shitter.

Back
06-05-2009, 09:07 PM
In some ways its disappointing that they did not just donate the land.

AestheticDeath
06-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Yeah even fair market value in better times wouldn't be enough for me to just up and sell land just cause some jackasses want to build a memorial.

And maybe I am just an ass, but WTF is with people and their memorials? And gravestones. Earth is going to be covered with nothing but this shit.

Here lies a dead person. There lies another dead person. And here we had a plane crash. And here is where grandma fell and broke her hip. (Gov. tore down our home after she fell down the three steps, just to put up the memorial.) And over yonder lies a memorial for the memorial we set up a decade ago about memories!

AestheticDeath
06-05-2009, 09:12 PM
In some ways its disappointing that they did not just donate the land.

Fucking retard. Yeah, someone who owns nothing else is going to give it away so someone can build something that doesn't benefit them in any way. Here, I may not be rich, but since you wanna build this, I can be poor. Not much difference right?

thefarmer
06-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Fucking retard. Yeah, someone who owns nothing else is going to give it away so someone can build something that doesn't benefit them in any way. Here, I may not be rich, but since you wanna build this, I can be poor. Not much difference right?

The seven property owners own about 500 acres still needed for what will ultimately be a $58 million, 2,200-acre permanent memorial and national park at the crash site near Shanksville, about 60 miles southeast of Pittsburgh.\

Two owners account for about 420 acres the park service plans to condemn, including Svonavec Inc. — which owns 275 acres, including the impact site where 40 passengers and crew died. About 150 acres are owned by a family that operates a scrap yard.
Most of rest of the land to be condemned are small parcels, two of which include cabins.

I wouldn't say all of them are poor.

I also wouldn't say that Backlash isn't retarded, either.

MrTastyHead
06-05-2009, 09:48 PM
I honestly wouldn't care if Bill Gates owned the land. It's still the government forcibly taking the land of a citizen to build something which serves no practical purpose whatsoever.

Upon further thought, I wouldn't be able to burn the park down, because they'd have to shoot me to get me off my land.

Back
06-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Well fuck me for thinking Americans would donate said acreages to a monument of American history.

But hey, capitalism is the American way.

Skeeter
06-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Thats fucked up..

fucking dicks.

K.

You should do something creative. Like fly a plane into it.