PDA

View Full Version : Rp&Whatnot

Poppatrunk
05-03-2009, 01:01 AM
So, I been away from the game for a few years now and have had the itch to return. A few questions if I may...

1.) One of the things I struggled with while playing on&off for about 10 years was throughout the hundreds of characters I made they all were basically the same.

Despite different professions, races etc. I always Rp'd "good" characters, I almost never got into any pvp or any kind of conflict of any sort. This may be why the game grew stale for me.

2.) Before I would worry about stats and number crunching and how much loot I could get on hunting trips.

I want to focus more on player interactions.Which is where GS shines, it is what we the players make it.

How would my character react to this person, how does he feel about that theif that just lifted some coins from an elf mark. My character may hate thieves but may hate elves even more.

Maybe I roll up a warrior who's a little crazy and off a bit and thinks he's a wizard and and decides that all the rats in the catacombs are his pets and brings them cheese.

I am just interested in hearing what others do when rolling up a new character, their progression from start to finish.

thx
________
HALF-BAKED (http://half-baked.com)

Jayvn
05-03-2009, 01:05 AM
that's more something to do on a night you get drunk.... I once rolled up a bitchy old human woman and pretty much just caused hell in tsc calling everyone young whipper snappers and taunting most of the empaths... i ended up getting an rpa that night..then deleting her a few days later...

Poppatrunk
05-03-2009, 03:47 AM
nice...have yet to get an RPA I'm jealous
________
COACH PURSES (http://icoachhandbags.com/)

Lord Orbstar
05-03-2009, 05:59 AM
You could roleplay an old lady sitting in Friths or some other Inn, drinking too much then throwing up all over other people and the floor. You should pick a couple other characters the interact with...make them roleplay inbreds with no fashion sense. real hard drinkers.

Asha
05-03-2009, 06:27 AM
Jesus Christ. I haven't had an RPA since 06?
I gave up RP for combat maneuvers and mad bow skillz since then anyway.

Winowyll
05-03-2009, 08:54 AM
I think one of the most interesting RP'ing exchanges can be between servant and their master. The response from the general crowd is a great chance to bring out the rp and cvc of people in large groups.

Your Mistress.

Asha
05-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Actually I lied, I think I RPed with you. Heh.

Winowyll
05-03-2009, 09:31 AM
You did. You're a lot of fun to talk to.

Your Mistress

Asha
05-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Hmmm I don't know why this just came to me but does anyone believe GMs spy on people cybering and wank?

Winowyll
05-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Yes.

Asha
05-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Brilliant.

Methais
05-03-2009, 02:32 PM
So, I been away from the game for a few years now and have had the itch to return. A few questions if I may...

1.) One of the things I struggled with while playing on&off for about 10 years was throughout the hundreds of characters I made they all were basically the same.

Despite different professions, races etc. I always Rp'd "good" characters, I almost never got into any pvp or any kind of conflict of any sort. This may be why the game grew stale for me.

2.) Before I would worry about stats and number crunching and how much loot I could get on hunting trips.

I want to focus more on player interactions.Which is where GS shines, it is what we the players make it.

How would my character react to this person, how does he feel about that theif that just lifted some coins from an elf mark. My character may hate thieves but may hate elves even more.

Maybe I roll up a warrior who's a little crazy and off a bit and thinks he's a wizard and and decides that all the rats in the catacombs are his pets and brings them cheese.

I am just interested in hearing what others do when rolling up a new character, their progression from start to finish.

thx

Get a scale trap box, a tunic and a turban, and do this:

You belt out, "ALLAHU ACKBAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
You become visible again.
Tackle what?
Arkans traces a sign that contorts in the air while he forcefully incants a dark invocation...
>cast at my che
Washee cackles!

You gesture at a plain iron chest.
The chest vibrates slightly but nothing else happens.
[Spell re-prepared]
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>
* Razcor just bit the dust!
>
cast at my che
cast at my che
cast at my che
Arkans gestures at Washee.
Arkans stares deeply into Washee's eyes.
CS: +384 - TD: +264 + CvA: -21 + d100: +56 == +155
Warding failed!
Washee collapses to the ground screaming!
Washee is stunned!
Rern leaps from hiding to attack!
Rern swings an uber 10x permablessed falchion at Augie!
AS: +326 vs DS: +525 with AvD: +27 + d100 roll: +83 = -89
A clean miss.
[Spell re-prepared]
[Spell re-prepared]
>
cast at my che
You hear a soft click from the chest and it suddenly flies open.
Suddenly, a plain iron chest gives off a loud sizzle, and explodes in a bright flash!
Being closest, you take the brunt of the blast!
... 50 points of damage!
Massive blow to your chest collapses your sternum!
You are stunned for 8 rounds!

The chest's casing is blasted into hundreds of tiny flechettes!

You are severely perforated!
... 35 points of damage!
Shot destroys eye and the brain behind it!
The brilliant luminescence fades from around you.
A luminescent aura fades from around you.
Your concentration on the image fades.
You no longer bristle with energy.
The tingling sensation and sense of security leaves you.
You feel less confident than before.
You feel the extra courage wane.
You feel your extra magical awareness leave you.
You feel the surge of magic depart.
You notice the faint image of yourself disappear.
The bright luminescence fades from around you.
You come back into focus.
The layer of protection fades away.
You become solid again.
The silvery luminescence fades from around you.
The translucent sphere fades from around you.
You feel your extra strength departing.

It seems you have died, my friend. Although you cannot do anything, you are keenly aware of what is going on around you...

You mentally give a sigh of relief as you remember that the Goddess Lorminstra owes you a favor.

...departing in 10 mins...
Augie is struck by flechettes!
... 15 points of damage!
Surgical strike removes Augie's left eye!
She is stunned!
... 15 points of damage!
Strike just below the jaw, nice shot to the neck!
Washee is struck by flechettes!
... 15 points of damage!
Shot to the hand slices a finger to the bone!
... 15 points of damage!
Well aimed shot, punctures upper arm!
Dozens of flechettes fly off to the northeast!

>
You are a ghost! You must wait until someone resurrects you, or you decay. Either way, it won't be long now! (HELP for more details).

Try to make sure other people die too though.

<---fails at e-terrorism

Asha
05-03-2009, 02:34 PM
:lol:

Tisket
05-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Wear a mask and gloves and run around casting 104 while mentioning a fear of pigs.

Methais
05-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Wear a hooded trenchcoat and run around casting Disease while giving people strange looks while yelling YOU GONNA GET RAPED!

DoctorUnne
05-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Get a scale trap box, a tunic and a turban, and do this:

You belt out, "ALLAHU ACKBAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Hilarious.

I want to see more shit like this in the game. Maybe I should move to the Landing.

Anothi
05-05-2009, 01:57 PM
nice...have yet to get an RPA I'm jealous

That is because you probably don't roleplay.

Anothi

The Scholar
05-30-2009, 07:53 PM

Personally, when I roll up a new character, that is, before I even start, I think about what I want them to do. Say, with Teffor. A warrior who uses scrolls, is it possible? The idea rolled around for a month. Ah, sure, why the hell not. Took a look at stat bonuses for each race. Hmm, dark elven. A dark elven warrior who uses scrolls. Dhe'nar or Faendryl. Not having played a dark elven before, I had to read up on it. Eventually his story came to me, as to why a Dhe'nar warrior used magic and finally I rolled the character. His personality evolved from there, as I played him. To date, he's my most fascinating persona.
I have a Luukosian undead cleric on a shelf somewhere who is also a lot of fun, with a great story to go with him. His creation was more of a -hey, this is a great story, let's make him- than a mechanical thing like Teffor was.

Fallen
05-30-2009, 08:45 PM
It all starts with the documentation, whether official or player born. Read what interests you, look at what has been done before, and try to find a race/culture/profession combination that makes sense, and interests you. I don't personally believe you need to write an entire book on your character's backstory, but try to have at least an idea of where your character came from, and what has brought him to the point he is now.

If you're truly interested in joining RP instead of building it, look for established roleplay in the forms of MHO's, CHE's, and town-based communities. I wouldn't go running off at level 0 to interact with these people. Try to get a sense of your character. Get a few levels under your belt. Have some random interactions with people, and see how your character reacts. Then, once you believe you've an understanding of who this character is in relation to who you planned him out to be, show your interest in whatever it is you're looking to get into. Stay consistent, be open to change and roleplay opportunities, and you should soon have yourself an established character in Elanthia.

Warriorbird
05-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Hmmm I don't know why this just came to me but does anyone believe GMs spy on people cybering and laugh?

Fixed.

The Scholar
05-30-2009, 10:39 PM
Try to get a sense of your character. Get a few levels under your belt. Have some random interactions with people, and see how your character reacts. Then, once you believe you've an understanding of who this character is in relation to who you planned him out to be, show your interest in whatever it is you're looking to get into. Stay consistent, be open to change and roleplay opportunities, and you should soon have yourself an established character in Elanthia.

I totally agree. I can't count how often my idea for a character has changed once they 'arrived' in the lands. Or how often some strange RP twist occurred and they'd changed completely Sometimes you just have to let them live a little and they'll tell you how they want to be.