PDA

View Full Version : Router networking help

Androidpk
05-02-2009, 11:42 PM
I've been trying to figure this out for a couple hours now. I have cable internet through Comcast which goes into the cable modem and then into a Linksys router and a desktop computer. I'm writing this on a laptop using the wireless connection just fine but I have a second desktop pc upstairs that I want to connect to the internet with as well. The desktop upstairs doesn't have any type of wireless card but I do have a second router, would I be able to use that as a connection point?

Mr. Dallas
05-03-2009, 12:01 AM
If the second pc has a network port - you can wire it directly to your router downstairs via a cat 5 cable.

Other choice would be to pick up a USB wireless card. ($39+) - or internal wireless card.

Androidpk
05-03-2009, 12:14 AM
I might just pick up a usb wireless card but I was told I could set the second wireless router into bridge mode and use it that way, just haven't figured out how.

Xaerve
05-03-2009, 08:46 AM
yea you could use the second router as a bridge -- not hard to set up.

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3639271

Androidpk
05-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Isn't the DD-WRT firmware for the linksys wrt54g only or will it work on other routers as well? I have the wrt54g router downstairs, the one i'm trying to use upstairs is a netgear wgr614.

The Ponzzz
05-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Going to be less frustrating to just get the CAT5 and run it to the downstairs one. My experience with bridging has been bad for bandwidth.

AMUSED1
05-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Any time you get the chance to use power tools and drill a hole through a wall, ceiling, or floor is a good to be had by all! Go Tim Allen on this project!

septus
05-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Isn't the DD-WRT firmware for the linksys wrt54g only or will it work on other routers as well? I have the wrt54g router downstairs, the one i'm trying to use upstairs is a netgear wgr614.

dd-wrt works on all sorts of routers. the wgr614 looks like it'll probably work, I'd check on the dd-wrt wiki. And find out the revision of the router.

Loyrl
05-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Any time you get the chance to use power tools and drill a hole through a wall, ceiling, or floor is a good to be had by all! Go Tim Allen on this project!

Always fun crawling under the house and drilling up when no ones expecting it hehe... and watch out for the mouse / rat skeletons ... yes they are there.:medieval:

Androidpk
05-21-2009, 08:17 PM
I ended up ditching the router/wireless approach and snagged 100ft of cat5 for $12. Took me less than 30 minutes and I actually didn't have to do any drilling.