PDA

View Full Version : Psinet Update (XP)

Sylvan Dreams
04-27-2009, 04:42 PM
The new Psinet update doesn't work for me, and I can't find any help on the problem. It installs and migrates my settings from Psinet2 without issue. When I try to log in from the SGE, SF opens and then I get a pop up box that says "Connection Failed!" and Unable to connect to the game. I get the options to Retry or Cancel. If I hit Cancel, the process stops and I am completely removed from trying to enter GS. If I hit Retry, it stays in this endless loop of SF opening and the Connection Failed message. I never get connected to the game.

If I uninstall Sage and rerun the Psinet2 install, I can log in just fine.

I did a complete uninstall, reboot, and reinstallation - same problem.

Any ideas?

Allereli
04-27-2009, 04:50 PM
is your firewall blocking it? sometimes you have to go in manually and change it.

Sylvan Dreams
04-27-2009, 04:55 PM
That was it. The firewall for some reason did not give any notification of the connection attempt like it normally does.

Thanks. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

Allereli
04-27-2009, 04:56 PM
woohoo!

Morrff
04-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Since an XP thread got started, I'll shuffle what I previously said over here...

I'm running xp and after the update I cannot get the game to launch with either SGE or psinet's Sage. It says it has no parameters when I try and run the Psinet Sage. When I run the old SGE how I always have, it opens the normal Psinet box. Never opens the WFE or recognizes the character being logged in.

Edit: Cannot get it to open WFE through the web site either

I restored system prior to psinet update, still unable to access the game via launcher. However I was able to access the game via web site. Going to pull a full system wipe down of the boot sector and go from there.

I've backed up everything I should need, anyone know how to properly migrate the backed up psinet folder to the new folder I'll be installing? Every time I've tried the "Migrate" option, it has not worked. Any ideas?

Avaya
05-13-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm having lots of issues myself. I'm getting a file not found error message, Specifically, now cannot repair, cannot remove, and cannot install psinet. I went into the registry, deleted it all, started over, same issue. I've had two people try to help me in the last two nights, both of whom are tech folks. No one seems to know what to do. I'll re post with the specific message in few. Any help would be appreciated-

Avaya
05-13-2009, 06:42 PM
1. I use Firefox. Windows XP. I downloaded the launcher again. I went to the site, downloaded Sage.
2. Click on Sage Set up, Run, I get these options ONLY- Repair Sage, or Remove Sage. So I try to Repair. . . it says it's installing. . then I get the error message. . Cannot Find File 'C:\Program Files\PsiNet Sage\2\SageInstaller_v1.0.0.80.Installstate.' . . click ok, The staller was interrupted you need to retry again. . .
3. I check for the missing file- Don't see it. Ok, so I delete the installer and try again. Same message.
4. Start, Run, Regedit, HKEY LOCAL MACHINE, SOFTWARE, go down. .
I see PSINET-
I have default
install directory
open command
version
Wininicommand

I have Simu-
Launcher
SGE32
STORM32
WIZ32

Last Night, I went through the help section of Jamus' page. So I've already tried this-
Uninstall PsiNet
You can uninstall PsiNet by running the Setup.exe file in your PsiNet directory. If you can't find that, or if it's been deleted, you can even use a freshly downloaded copy of the setup program from the downloads page (http://psinet.dynalias.net/download.html). See the help page for more help if you can't uninstall.
Re-Install the Simutronics Game Launcher
It doesn't matter if you already had it, have it, or anything. Reinstalling it certainly won't hurt, and it will usually restore the default associations/registry settings associated with the game. You can find this also on our downloads page (http://psinet.dynalias.net/download.html).
Install PsiNet
Install PsiNet again using a brand new fresh copy of the setup files from our downloads page (http://psinet.dynalias.net/download.html). If you want to be especially thorough, use the .ZIP file for this step, and be extra confident that you're installing with ease.Still didn't work.

So I went here- and did all this-

I can't uninstall.

Failed to uninstall
Failed to load appropriate autolaunch command from the registry or psinet.ini for uninstall!
This error is extremely unusual, and is usually only found after a severe system crash or if you've done something to badly corrupt the PsiNet installation. Reinstalling the Simutronics Game Launcher from the downloads page (http://psinet.dynalias.net/download.html) will get you back into the game, but you won't be able to use PsiNet.
There is not much that can be done once you have reached this point. However, there are a very few things that can be tried.
The suggestions on this page, if incorrectly performed, can cause serious and irrecoverable damage to your computer's operating system, possibly causing data loss and high repair costs. <-- this is me :)

Therefore, I cannot be held responsible for any further damage or misconfiguration on your computer; the safest choice at this point may be to install the Simutronics Game Launcher and continue without PsiNet.

PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK
This error occurs when there is information in the registry indicating that PsiNet has been installed, but no uninstallation information included; basically, half an install. Because PsiNet does not know what settings to return your computer to if it were removed, it does not uninstall.
The first correction to this problem is to manually insert fake uninstallation information:

Save this file to your computer: psinet-uninstall.reg (http://psinet.dynalias.net/help/psinet-uninstall.reg)
This file contains fake installation/uninstallation information for PsiNet.
Run the psinet-uninstall.reg file by double-clicking on it.
You will receive a warning about merging the information into your registry- this is a windows protection verifying that you want to modify your registry with the contents of the file. Please remember that you are proceeding at your own risk.
Uninstall PsiNet
You can use the steps outlined on this help page (http://psinet.dynalias.net/help/notrunning.html). Often this is able to fix the problem, and you will be able to uninstall (and reinstall) PsiNet. However, in some rare cases (two to date) even this step does not succeed. In this case, you will need to manually delete the PsiNet registry key using RegEdit.
You can access RegEdit by clicking Start, then Run, then typing REGEDIT, then clicking OK.
MODIFYING THE REGISTRY CAN CAUSE SERIOUS PROBLEMS IF DONE INCORRECTLY, PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK
You will need to delete the following key (folder) from your registry:
HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\PsiNet
After deleting that key, there should be no record that PsiNet was ever installed; reinstall the Simutronics Game Launcher, and then optionally PsiNet again.

Still doesn't work. I still get the same fricken error message. I'm sure I totally messed something up big time now.

I'm frazzled at this point. Technically challenged, and just pretty frustrated. What to try next? I can get into the game using SGE, but wow I forgot how awful the game is without psinet! All my sacred alias'esesese OMG. Thanks in advance for help.

Avaya
05-14-2009, 04:13 PM
Jamus and I ironed it out. Was because of me not having a "D" drive :) :club:

Drunken Durfin
05-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Was because of me not having a "D" drive :) :club:

What difference...how the...who does...whut?