PDA

View Full Version : Psinet Update

HSB
04-27-2009, 09:46 AM
So... I run a Vista box, and managed to balance lich into my setup, and have been loving life. The new update ruined everyone's life and ate all the steak.

I ran the update after backing up my files, and it hung about 98% of the way through. I gave it 45 minutes, then cancelled it. I then ran it again, and it completed successfully. Go to enter the game? Nope. Get an error as soon as I launch the game that Psinet2.exe has stopped working, and I can't log in. So I uninstall Psinet, go to the website, download the fresh .msi, and run it. All it gives me for options are Repair and Remove. So I Repair. Nope. Still can't log in. So I go in and try Remove. It Removes, I think GREAT! Launch it again... still just Repair and Remove as options, so it obviously thinks it's still there. So I manually go into my registry and scrub every entry for Psinet and Sage I can find... launch the install... still just Repair and Remove. So I remove the files manually from the install directory, and then launch the setup again. Repair/Remove, only now neither of those options will function because the files are missing.

I finally gave up in frustration, and restored my box to a Restore Point. I can now log in, but all my character keys are missing.

:headdesk:

Help?

Fallen
04-27-2009, 09:54 AM
That new PSInet server is finally out?

HSB
04-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Ayup. I guess most people had no problems?

Fallen
04-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Yours is the first post i've seen (obviously). I kinda follow the Officials folders on 3rd party FE's. We'll see if complaints roll in there. A ton of great updates with that server. I hope you can get it up and running. I imagine Jamus is swamped with IMs/E-mails asking for help, but give it a bit and perhaps try contacting him directly.

kgolfer
04-27-2009, 10:15 AM
I installed last night and haven't had any problems. I'm running Vista.

peam
04-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Running Windows 7 here.

Had some issues getting everything back up and running at first.

Scrubbed all Psinet/Sage from my system.
Reinstalled the Simutronics Game Launcher.
Reinstalled Psinet.

Worked fine.

Jamus was very helpful in getting me up and running.

HSB
04-27-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm back up and running, with the update. Reinstalling the launcher did it. Now I just have blank character keys? Going to see if I can copy those from my backed-up files.

Success! Win!

... I hate mondays.

Parkbandit
04-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Running Windows 7 here.

Reinstalled Psinet.

Worked fine.

On a totally unrelated note.. how do you like Windows 7? I want to get a new laptop and was considering putting either 7 in or going back to XP.

Danical
04-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Win7 on my laptop rocks my fucking socks.

Color me impressed.

peam
04-27-2009, 11:12 AM
On a totally unrelated note.. how do you like Windows 7? I want to get a new laptop and was considering putting either 7 in or going back to XP.

Not terribly impressed. It's just a little less of a resource hog than Vista and still has that aura of "Here, let us make that task even more simple for you, and please, don't try to do things on your own." that Microsoft seems to pile into their new products.

If I'm ever not lazy, I'm going back to XP.

Renian
04-27-2009, 11:38 AM
I tried installing it and it's all like NO BITCH YOU CAN'T RUN THE GAME NOW. I always get an error message on attempting to start the game.

It's not Lich doing that if Gnimble doesn't have that problem though.

SolitareConfinement
04-27-2009, 11:58 AM
for the new psinet to work for me i had to pull an old school lich move and put it in a home directory with no spaces in it...then it worked fine

HSB
04-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Definitely had to install to a directory with no spaces... left that part out of my soliloquy.

Jace Solo
04-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Went through all that and never got it to work together.
Was just going to update to Lich since we had a PSIUpdate but I'm just running psinet now.
I'd rather just run that then start on some new program that I can't get to work.
I'm sure Jamus will get back to me soon with what I did wrong. We spent about an hour or two uninstalling and reinstalling.

Inspire
04-27-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm running Vista and mine did the same thing.

There is a HIDDEN window that popped up BEHIND all the other windows that you had to click ok on to get it to move past the 98% stop part.

Drunken Durfin
04-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Running Windows 7 here.

Reinstalled Psinet.

Worked fine.

Tips on scrubbing psinet/sage since control panel/uninstall obviously does not do the trick.

I uninstalled everything and am trying to start from scratch, but the stupid game launcher install is still looking for Psinet2.exe.

Sean
04-27-2009, 02:03 PM
I run vista but not lich I had 0 problems.

Morrff
04-27-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm running xp and after the update I cannot get the game to launch with either SGE or psinet's Sage. It says it has no parameters when I try and run the Psinet Sage. When I run the old SGE how I always have, it opens the normal Psinet box. Never opens the WFE or recognizes the character being logged in.

Edit: Cannot get it to open WFE through the web site either

Donquix
04-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Tips on scrubbing psinet/sage since control panel/uninstall obviously does not do the trick.

I uninstalled everything and am trying to start from scratch, but the stupid game launcher install is still looking for Psinet2.exe.

Then you didn't scrub hard enough. Clean your registry.

*Uninstall psinet, lich, launcher (in that order if possible)
edit: forgot to add, when you uninstall lich, before you remove it using add/remove programs or the "uninstall" shortcut, make sure you run the "remove from registry" option in the start menu -> all programs -> lich, folder

*Do registry searches for psinet, lich, and simu. Get rid of them (normal caveats about messing with registry causing your computer to explode apply) You can leave simu entires about SF/Wizard, just make sure you get rid of the launcher ones.

*Install the launcher

*install lich, should work in any directory but you can be safe and put it in one with no spaces, i.e. c:\lich

*install psinet...MAKE SURE IT IS INSTALLED IN A DIRECTORY WITH NO SPACES. This is a problem with lich fyi, not psinet. Mine is in c:\psinet

*You should be able to log in with no problems through the website (non activex) or SGE.

If you hang at "Waiting for FE" in psinet, exit and check your LICH directory for a lich-debug.txt file. If it says it can't access the hosts folder (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc by default) check in that folder and see if there is a "hosts.bak" or "hosts1.bak" file, if there is rename it to something else or move it someplace else. My system has done this twice and it was causing lich to hang.

Drunken Durfin
04-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the step-by-step. it is very much appreciated.

Then you didn't scrub hard enough. Clean your registry.

On a personal note, I should not have to clean my registry. But, I'll just chalk that up on my limitless list of why Windows sucks.

Donquix
04-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the step-by-step. it is very much appreciated.

On a personal note, I should not have to clean my registry. But, I'll just chalk that up on my limitless list of why Windows sucks.

True enough, but it just has more to do with the fact that you have 2-3 programs all screwing with the same registry setting. I might be bored enough sometime this week to make a quick little batch script or VB program that cleans out all the registry entries.

Loyrl
04-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Win7 on my laptop rocks my fucking socks.

Color me impressed.

Same, run it both on my laptop and my desktop.

I had to uninstall everything and go thru my reg to get everything to work again =/

justincredible
04-27-2009, 10:11 PM
"The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2869."

I've uninstalled, deleted, scoured registry. Reinstalled Inchinst.exe and then tried SageSetup-beta-2.2.0.2736. Tried the regedit to add the lines of code and then run as administrator. When I try to reinstall psinet I get the fix or uninstall options, uninstall runs into the 2869 error as well...

Anyone got some advice for me please?

Donquix
04-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Their might be a problem with your installer, try redownloading it. Here is the link for the latest build: http://www.psinetsage.com/beta/SageSetup-beta-2.2.0.2736.msi

It could also just be a generic problem with the microsoft installer, if the redownloaded setup package doesn't help try this maybe:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555175

Swami71
04-27-2009, 11:25 PM
I had to do a system restore. Uninstalled and cleaned again from there.

Drunken Durfin
04-28-2009, 12:06 AM
Keys I deleted:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\PsiNet2.exe
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Simutronics.Autolaunch\Shell\Ope n\command
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.sal\OpenWithList

Login works fine now.

justincredible
04-28-2009, 02:06 AM
Alright, deleted everything I could find relating to simu/psinet and now instead of the annoying "error 2869" message I'm now getting: "This advertised application will not be installed because it might be unsafe...."

I am the admin on my computer. I've tried run as admin, install, run, hell the message even comes up if I try to uninstall. Still looking to get this up and running, thanks all

justincredible
04-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Update.
Updated my windows installer to 4.5 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555175)
Right clicked on the program and "repair" once repaired I uninstalled, reinstalled and now I I can get the psinet2: sage dialog box to open and tell me it's "Waiting for FE"
Checked firewall and it's set-up to allow psinet through...

Any more help please?

Euler
04-28-2009, 06:36 PM
I am getting a "process is being used by another application" message.

By the way, is the character key stored in one of the psinet files? I seem to have misplaced....

Donquix
04-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Update.
Updated my windows installer to 4.5 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555175)
Right clicked on the program and "repair" once repaired I uninstalled, reinstalled and now I I can get the psinet2: sage dialog box to open and tell me it's "Waiting for FE"
Checked firewall and it's set-up to allow psinet through...

Any more help please?

Are you running lich and psinet?

If you're running lich and it's hanging at waiting for FE, it is likely a problem with lich. If this is true, paste the contents of your "lich_debug.txt" file whch is located in whatever directory you installed lich to (c:\program files\lich by default)

justincredible
04-28-2009, 09:35 PM
naw, no lich. I've uninstalled and reinstalled way too many times. I guess I should go back and clean-up the registry but I just don't feel like going through that crap and the more times I mess with it the more chance I have of screwing something up, although I'm still open to any and all suggestions

Donquix
04-28-2009, 09:35 PM
I am getting a "process is being used by another application" message.

By the way, is the character key stored in one of the psinet files? I seem to have misplaced....

Character keys are stored in the "Profiles" directory of psinet. So check your old psinet directory profiles folder, should be a file in there for all characters you loged on with, copy them all to the new install's profiles folder.

Not sure about the process being used error...that's a new one. I don't know what would cause this, especially if you have restarted and tried again.

Donquix
04-28-2009, 09:36 PM
naw, no lich. I've uninstalled and reinstalled way too many times. I guess I should go back and clean-up the registry but I just don't feel like going through that crap and the more times I mess with it the more chance I have of screwing something up, although I'm still open to any and all suggestions

hrm...k. Not what would cause that without lich. My suggestions would be to, regrefully, try from scratch again or reinstalling Stormfront/Wizard

Fatsix
05-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Its installed and i can open and play gemstone, but i cannot connect to psinet with character keys, its telling me i have the wrong keys? for all of my characters...

You automatically cast your mind out again, in search of the PsiNet.
You connect with the PsiNet, and prepare to link.

The PsiNet was unable to confirm your identity. You have submitted the wrong PsiNet Key for this character.
* The key you sent was: V9******************** The correct key begins with YPI* Your key will automatically reset: 5/16/2009 9:52:36 AM.
(Keys are stored in your character profile in the Profiles folder within the Sage installation folder. You may manually enter your key by typing PSINET OPTIONS.)

even if i open options its the correct key for the character, i made a file up of all the character keys..... but now its telling me otherwise..

Mashiek
05-23-2009, 11:17 AM
Okay, I used to use PSInet on my old XP box, but I'm having a bastard of a time installing it under Vista.

Setup was unable to modify the registry. Please make sure you are running as an administrator, and try again.

The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2869.

Psinet's help says this:
Administrator Rights Needed
Failed to create the PsiNet registry key. This is most likely because you don't have sufficient access priveleges. You need to be logged on to your computer as an Administrator before installing.

PsiNet will display this error message during installation if it tried to update your registry for its installation and failed. Make sure you have enough permissions on the computer! Some anti-spyware software can cause this as well.

I am an admin, and I disabled Norton...but I still get this message. Any thoughts?

Neo
05-23-2009, 11:47 AM
I got this same error the other night when trying to install it on a Vista machine too. :wtf:

Not sure of the fix though, didn't play with it too much.

Mashiek
05-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Glad I'm not the only one, at any rate. Any help from the greater community would be appreciated.

JamusPsi
05-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Please see this thread:

http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=42823