PDA

View Full Version : Why does my router do this?

Jahira
04-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Without fail, I have to reset my cable modem and router (unplug both - plug in modem, plug in router) at least once a day because nothing can connect wirelessly. Sometimes I have to do this 4 or 5 times

My router and modem sit in my basement and are never touched unless i am resetting it.

Why does this happen, and what can I do to stop it? Getting really annoyed with it.

Numbers
04-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Next time don't unplug both.

Just unplug/replug the router. If that fixes it, something's wrong with your router.

If it doesn't fix it, unplug/replug the modem. If that fixes it, something's wrong with your modem.

septus
04-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Could be overheating, loss connection somewhere internally, cold solder joint, or just badly coded. What make/model is it?

Jahira
04-26-2009, 03:57 PM
It is a Belkin Wireless G

Ryvicke
04-26-2009, 04:18 PM
This has happened to me with a number of different routers/modems in different houses. Currently I have to reset it at least once every 2 or 3 days or the connection is just shit (and it goes back to being great after I reset). In the past I've had to do it about every week or so (with another router/modem set).

I went crazy googling and going to tech sites on this, they all just kinda say, "it happens, no big."

Renian
04-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Because your router sux, lol.

No, really. My Trendnet TEW-633GR doesn't pull that shit.

The Ponzzz
04-26-2009, 04:45 PM
It can really be a number of things. Unplugging just the router won't always show you it is the router that is having trouble, though. It could be the signal from the actual cable line being really really low. I wouldn't suggest splitting the line at all with your cable modem, if possible. That's if you do that. I have a Netgear Wireless G that craps out ONLY on my vista machines. If you have Vista, it most likely isn't your modem or router, but a security update you downloaded which is worse than a virus. There is no clean fix for it either.

But, if it's nothing that I said above, you're most likely looking at either a weak router or modem.

iJin
04-26-2009, 05:27 PM
This has happened to me with a number of different routers/modems in different houses. Currently I have to reset it at least once every 2 or 3 days or the connection is just shit (and it goes back to being great after I reset). In the past I've had to do it about every week or so (with another router/modem set).

I went crazy googling and going to tech sites on this, they all just kinda say, "it happens, no big."

Well not all of them are in Jesus land, babe. ;)

AnticorRifling
04-27-2009, 01:12 AM
Without fail, I have to reset my cable modem and router (unplug both - plug in modem, plug in router) at least once a day because nothing can connect wirelessly. Sometimes I have to do this 4 or 5 times

My router and modem sit in my basement and are never touched unless i am resetting it.

Why does this happen, and what can I do to stop it? Getting really annoyed with it.

There are a lot of variables there. Unplugging both isn't really going to help you trouble shoot to the root cause. They sit in your basement, where is everything else? Have you tried moving them to a different physical location? If if everything else (laptop, printer, whatever wireless device you're trying to connect) is sitting on the second floor you might just be running into signal issues.

As mentioned above only reset one at a time and check your connection.

Check to see if there are any known/reported issues with compatability between your router and your modem. Sometimes different models say "FUCK YOU" even though they are supposed to work generically.

Trouble
04-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Mine does that when it overheats. I put spacers underneath it to increase airflow.

Skeeter
04-27-2009, 02:14 PM
mine kept getting progressively worse until it just stopped working altogether. I assume it is dead and I will buy another.

Warriorbird
04-27-2009, 02:17 PM
It could be interference.