PDA

View Full Version : Simu hampering RP by being silly

Pierat
02-18-2004, 12:31 PM
See the news article below at the bottom of my post.

Now, thats great, help people RP. But come on, I found a moldy Dougnut on a Illoke Shaman the other day, a moldy doughnut! Arent there enough other little things for them to "catch" up on if they wanna get all.... I dunno up to par on the RP aspects?

Dateline 2/18/2004: ROLEPLAYING TIP: TONE

"Don't take that tone with me, missy!"

TONE has been a great addition to the game, enhancing the ways in which we can portray our characters while roleplaying. But like any system or tool, it needs to be used wisely or it can end up as a detriment, rather than as an enhancement.

The best use of tone is for a single sentence or a few sentences in a row, when your character is taking on a certain tone of voice that reflects their mood or attitude at that moment. The tone list is extensive and almost any sort of tone can be found to be used in specific instances like this. Most experienced roleplayers agree that this is the best and most appropriate use of the TONE verb.

Another way to use TONE, one that should only be used after careful consideration, is setting your tone and then leaving it in place indefinitely. There are very few tones on the list that are appropriate for this type of usage, such as quiet or slow. But even then, most experienced roleplayers agree that any tone left on a single setting ends up not making sense at some point and becomes an annoyance, rather than a benefit to roleplay.

A character who is feeling flirtatious for the moment looks darn silly still speaking flirtatiously half an hour later when talking about the new armor she just bought. A character who makes a mysterious comment or two looks very foolish when an hour later he mysteriously announces he will cast mass blurs for everyone present.

Use TONE to enhance the moment and to make your character come alive as a fantasy character. Be careful in how you use it and think about whether or not your tone is appropriate for what you are saying at the moment, in order to avoid making silly mistakes.

You can type SAY and TONE for usage information.

Czeska
02-18-2004, 12:34 PM
Hey, if you were an Illoke Shaman, maybe you like donuts and just forgot you had it.

Cheers for politely yelling at TONE abusers.

crazymage
02-18-2004, 12:35 PM
im pretty sure i can sound grumpy whether im talkin about armor or eating dinner.

Ambrosia
02-18-2004, 12:36 PM
I'm glad they finally decided to explain what tone use is for. Although most people that read that will have already known, others need to read it, but then they probably need someone to explain it as well. Those are usually the ones that keep one tone all the time. :whistle:

Czeska
02-18-2004, 12:36 PM
The only tone I usually bother to set is "sleepily" near the end of the night.

Bobmuhthol
02-18-2004, 12:38 PM
I used to have it set constantly at stupidly.. then clearly.. I thought it made sense all the time. With the new format, though, I just ignore people who use tones and don't use them myself.

Fallen
02-18-2004, 01:01 PM
This is the second of such announcements Simu has released and I applaud their efforts. Subtle reminders like the one above and the short release on racial/cultural history are a definite step in the right direction.

On the moldy whathaveyou? shrugs. Its stupid, but its been going on for a long time.

Meos
02-18-2004, 01:05 PM
Now instead of sounding like a dick and saying "stop using the same tone all the time you mindless fucktard" you can say "please refer to news artical blah blah blah." yay! now I sound like a GM.

[Edited on 2-18-2004 by Meos]

Galleazzo
02-18-2004, 01:08 PM
Is there ANYONE here who likes dealing with the fuckwits who use the same TONE all the time?

Hulkein
02-18-2004, 01:19 PM
My personal favorite is

Bilbo knowingly asks, "which way to kobalsd????"

Mint
02-18-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by crazymage
im pretty sure i can sound grumpy whether im talkin about armor or eating dinner.

And I am pretty sure I can sound amused all the time cause y'all just crack me up.

Artha
02-18-2004, 05:17 PM
My personal favorite is

My favorite was some chick seductively asking if someone could take care of her box.

Miss X
02-18-2004, 05:46 PM
hahahahahah. You know you said yes.....

Hulkein
02-18-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Artha

My personal favorite is

My favorite was some chick seductively asking if someone could take care of her box.

ROFL

Soulpieced
02-18-2004, 05:54 PM
Sad. I hate tones anyway and don't use them.

Zeyrin
02-18-2004, 08:29 PM
I think tones are a total waste of time. I mean, I was pissing this guy of in the cul de sac the other night and in a happy tone he tells me to kiss his ass. Is this dude on prozac or what?

I'd rather use things like squinting, trudging up to someone or other things to display how my character is feeling. The words I use indicate the overall tone of my conversations. Frankly, I think tone usage is a waste of time.

Fallen
02-19-2004, 12:58 PM
I enjoy using tones in conversation though I will often forget I have set it on when next I speak. I know there is a way to use the command so it only applies to one message, though I tend to be a creature of habit.

If used correctly and with movement and ACT verbs, tone can make log reading similar to reading a good book.