PDA

View Full Version : Cyber-Security - The Next Big Job Field?

Apotheosis
04-23-2009, 10:55 PM
Ok.. yeah, I know cyber security is a huge business... but with what has been going on lately, is this potentially a good field to get into?

I could see gobs of money being thrown at computer "security" experts dealing with hackers and all that other good stuff.

Warriorbird
04-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Always been a decent field if you're talented.

Apotheosis
04-23-2009, 11:16 PM
well, yeah.. but I mean, should we expect growth/demand in that sector?

i could care less about it myself, wouldn't mind getting in on the marketing side of it....

Mtenda
04-24-2009, 01:21 AM
Tara Wrists is attacking the intrawebs right now on these very forums. Seriously though, do it. Do it.

Mistomeer
04-24-2009, 06:35 AM
There's always been plenty of security jobs out there and if I remember correctly security and database admin jobs have the highest average salary for computer jobs.

Sean of the Thread
04-24-2009, 09:17 AM
Database Administrator on my resume is getting me no where around here. That and my certs are old as shit and the pay here is fucking terrible unless you can score a super corporate job.

Here is an example... they offered $12 an hour ffs and said uhmmm no.

We are a online entity running ASP 3.0 and ASP.Net 2.0 throughout our system on SQL Server 2005/Windows. We have a mission critical software that requires 100% uptime and bug fixes/updates completed. Fast turnaround a must!

Good communication and interpersonal skills required.
Good Analytical and problem-solving skills required

Please send resume with current location/city and hourly 1099 salary requirements. If this info is not included you will not be considered.

Compensation: TBD

That being said now that my shoulder is fucked I'm planning on going back to school in June to finish up my last 2 years and was considering the cyber security B.S. they offer... or secondary education... or even something in the marine biology or or oceanography fields.

That is if I'm not in jail.

Trouble
04-24-2009, 09:29 AM
IT Security is big biz here in DC. Digital Forensics is probabaly the hottest category at the moment. Incident detection/response is probably the next hottest. If you want a less techie angle on IT security, Information Assurance involves a lot of documentation and testing for compliance with various industry or government policies/standards. If you like to program, there is a market for testing and/or correcting lazy programmers' code so that it is not vulnerable to attacks.

Salaries range from 45k to 120k, depending on experience and clearance.

I think healthcare is the place to be in the next 30 years. A job that combines it with IT security would be a nice combo. Like being a contractor who provides data protection services to the companies that own hospitals and nursing homes, ensuring that the patient data is protected according to whichever standard applies to it (HIPAA/etc).

Sean of the Thread
04-24-2009, 09:35 AM
Actually I've been having trouble landing good work mostly because of my credit which is bullshit in my opinion.

LMingrone
04-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Sounds like an alright deal if there is job openings. I'm missing one semester of my CS degree. Maybe I should go back and finish. Since I've gotten fired yesterday the only thing I've been looking at is state/city jobs. Sick of the blue collar stuff though. Once again I'm sean2JR, bad credit, debt, etc. Sucks. Doesn't help that I just got engaged and bought a new car. I'm f'd.

phantasm
04-24-2009, 12:54 PM
http://theinvisiblethings.blogspot.com/

Keller
04-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Ok.. yeah, I know cyber security is a huge business... but with what has been going on lately, is this potentially a good field to get into?

I could see gobs of money being thrown at computer "security" experts dealing with hackers and all that other good stuff.

I have a buddy that started in 2004 at KPMG in their digital forensics. He makes bank and loves his job. He walks into an executives office, tells them he needs their computers, and the executive starts packing his shit into boxes because he knows he's fucked.

Now that is power.