PDA

View Full Version : Why I'm leaving

Allereli
04-21-2009, 02:20 AM
my x-post from the Discussions folder (https://www.play.net/forums/redirect.asp?URL=https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=102&category=8&topic=3&message=43764), just so it's saved somewhere. I know I'll get the hate comments, I don't care. If anyone wants to have a real discussion, I'll be happy to have one.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is going to be long. I apologize, but I have a lot to say.

There are many reasons to enjoy GS, the amount of detail and depth of the game is incredible; however, everything I am interested in seems to be going in the wrong direction. I speak only for myself as someone who has little interest in RPing tea parties and designing text Barbies or hunting until all my skills are maxed. I play because of the complicated systems in the game, specifically alchemy, scroll infusion and animate dead. My other major interest was running Twilight Hall, which I took seriously and had a vision to bring the House into the present, where the population is sparse and the game is geographically huge.

I leave with the hopes that things will change for the better and I'll feel good about coming back, but at this point I feel I cannot put my money and time into supporting the game. I have no delusions that all will be changed to everything I suggest, but the game needs to be more about fun and less about tedium, and I hope the staff can take my experiences to heart and can use my ideas, or find solutions of their own to make the game better.

I came back in January '07 after being gone for 5-6 years with nothing from my past experience in GS3 (1996-2001)--characters, items or friends. I started Allereli from scratch after I looked at the spell lists and decided I still wanted to play a sorcerer. I did almost no research out of game and looked to figure things out myself in terms of the changes from GS3 to 4. I came back wanting to be a different type of player: to be more involved with the community (house chairmanship was NOT planned), to at least attempt to RP, to not be stuck in the eternal grind, and to do things that no one had done before.

Alchemy

I had a great time learning the game again and I was shocked at everything I remembered. Early on I learned that alchemy was in the not-to-distant future and I wanted to be a part of it. I saw/still see tremendous potential for the system to be fun and its capabilities unlimited, it fit in perfectly with what I wanted for my character. In the beginning the GMs were receptive to feedback and changes were made but as time has passed, and Phase II has been implemented, those of us who actually managed to master are back to square one with the frustration of trying to gather the rare drops/gems for the recipes we actually want to use.

To master alchemy, I had to quit progressing for about four months and powerhunt about 15 levels to get away from the wall because the points per rank requirements were just too much to handle in combination with the amount of stuff needed. This is a failing of the guild system where people, who may not want to play to cap, but want to do alchemy, are forced into doing so much more extra work.

This work, for the most part, is not fun. It is extremely time consuming; I only managed to do it because I could play at work and I broke my arm and was out of commission from other interests for almost 5 months. I mastered alchemy on July 4, 2008 after working on it almost every day for at least 10 hours a day for 3-4 months. This was about 11 months from the time the system came out. I stayed positive about the system because of the people I had met who helped me through it. I had to do very little foraging the entire time, people handed me stuff left and right and in the very early days, I was part of a group that worked together to buy up as many gems as we needed, before they were available in the guild.

During my powerhunting days I started another account to hold all the stuff. My main is on a basic, but I put all my mules on a premium account, so I was now paying three times more per month than before. I also leveled up an empath for the sole purpose of helping with foraging, skinning, and for trading benefits, that I used to gather for the next tasks while I did reps with Allereli. It may seem like an extreme measure to take, but it's not uncommon for those who do alchemy.

Healthy people should not be committing this sort of time to a game. Using a capped sorcerer, mastered in illusions, and playing a normal amount of time (usually a couple of hours a day, sometimes more, while working to attain a post-graduate degree) as an example, it will take the average person about 2 years to master. You can cap a character easily in less time. I know of very few alchemists who have mastered without MAing, but I'm not bothered by the monetary costs as long as the end result is satisfying.

Steps were taken to make alchemy easier, but it's not enough. Why do you need to gather 72 fires for ONE TASK? Other ingredients don't drop enough to use the other recipes on a regular basis. I think having the amount of reps for general tasks reduced by half to a maximum of six--the same amount as in potions and trinkets--would be still be difficult to gather for without being insane, it is still 36 fires. The other rare ingredients for the mana potions, and now some phase II recipes, simply do not drop enough, there needs to be more of them.

Another serious problem is the work versus result. Many recipes produce lesser items compared to imbedding a ranger-made rod. Imbedding takes seconds, making items takes much longer and costs much more. There is really no point to the existence of these recipes except for training reps, to which I say it is disturbing to have to make so many of these inferior items. Allereli and my empath had an obscene amount of deeds when I was done mastering, because for the most part, that's all the items I made for reps were good for.

If the actual system weren't frustrating enough, the QC process has been absent. I can't count all the hours I spent testing new recipes to see if they worked, wandering to different guilds to see if everything needed was being sold and testing the resulting products. A year and a half after the release of alchemy, Phase II recipes are still coming out with serious problems--like they just plain don't work (either process or result), masters are teaching them wrong and loresongs to tell us what they do are non-existent.

The recipes themselves have also been frustrating in the ingredient requirements, and it seems like the GMs designing them do not think about them in terms of actual gameplay. To be able to use our hard-earned skills, we must continue to spend an extreme amount of time gathering materials. As someone who is now healthy, I only play about 2 hours a day on the week days and a bit more on weekends. I've mastered, but I cannot keep up with the material requirements for the phase II recipes. I saved just about every gem for over a year on 3+ gem mules and hundreds of jars, and when the animate healing potion was released, I had enough deathstones to make ONE potion. It's just discouraging. I'm aware that there's another recipe for the potion, but no one's been taught it yet, and still, I'm willing to bet the other recipe includes the glowing violet essence dust, which means we still have to compete with every other alchemist from all professions to make a potion that should be an ability that comes with enough necromancy lore, there will be more on this later.

Of the 12 existing sorcerer guild masters, after I am gone, only five will be truly active under their original players. Alchemy is not working to retain players, and not enough people are taking it up to warrant the development time.

The Sorcerer Profession

I did have a lot of fun playing a sorcerer up to a point, but I was always frustrated by limitations that are arbitrarily put solely on our profession defining spells, and on no other profession.

In telling someone about the sorcerer profession, this is what I would say:

"Well, our profession defining spells are 714, 725, 730 and 740. 714 is great, but there are no workshops anywhere except the Landing and Icemule, which for lower level success is essential. 725 is a pet with some interesting features and can be useful if you train heavily in lores, but mostly for RP. 730 has such great potential, but is full of bugs, the duration stinks, and you have to make or acquire animation crystals, I started using it regularly around level 60, which is early and I had to live with a low CS as a sacrifice to use the skill. You have to do over a year of work to be able to make the potion to heal your animate, unless you have circumstances that keep you at home for five to six months, then you can work 10-12 hours a day on it.

"Once you're done, you can make the animate healing potion, but I hope you were on Teras and saved up every single deathstone possible (they're really not common), because you need four per potion, and they're only found on Teras. Along with that you need a glowing violet essence dust, which drops only levels 35-50ish, I see them sometimes on the tables, and every other alchemist from every other profession wants them.

"740 works and you'll never have to use a gold ring.

"Our regular direct damage hunting spells have no damage factor boosts from our lores save pain, if you want to just kill things straight up with spells, play an immolation wizard, empath, or even a pure bard."

The problems with the profession have been reviewed over and over again by my fellow devoted sorcerers, I won't go into more detail, Strathspey knows the issues and I know he has plans to address them, but his plans are not a contract nor set in stone; I'll believe it when I see it. So far his plan to add functionality to animate dead using alchemy is a complete failure because the recipe is too demanding component-wise for an already component-heavy spell. As one of the few who can actually make it, I have no desire to gather that much stuff.

CHE System

Along with a volunteer GM staff, you have a devoted group of players interested in adding to the depth of the game by planning events and organizing groups through the CHE system. We volunteer a considerable amount of time for absolutely nothing in return in terms of benefits for our characters. As Chairman I had the opportunity to hear a lot of complaints and suggestions from a fairly large group of players, and doing the actual work gave me insight into how things get done behind the scenes.

Xynwen is well aware of my opinions on the system, both the good and the bad. I will simply say that I wish she were more flexible with how we used our points in order to better serve our members and appeal to new ones who don't live near our main structure, but I hope she sticks around and that she's given more support. There are quite a few systems the CHEs have been waiting on for over a year and a half, including dues, raffles and a bouncer capability.

Treatment of the Staff

My final and biggest issue is how the staff is treated. Development timeframes are an absolute joke with RSN and this is because you have a volunteer workforce. There is no incentive for staff to stick around and see projects through. I know it has been this way for years, but it seems to be getting worse and worse, especially on the development team. These are highly skilled people who need to be appropriately compensated for the amount of coding involved.

Some have suggested making the game open-sourced and letting the players learn the language and working on the coding on their own terms. I hope that the product managers consider this as a solution.

Vanessa / Allereli

Renian
04-21-2009, 02:48 AM
Well-written, I must say. It wasn't just a QQing, it was a QQing with very legitimate reasons.

Unfortunately Emeradan's probably gonna get in ur forums, ganking ur post.

EDIT: Your link is fucked up. That right parenthesis on the end is dicking with it.

Fixed link here: https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=102&category=8&topic=3&message=43764

Danical
04-21-2009, 02:57 AM
It's very well thought out and it's also sad not much has been done to rectify the glaring problem that is: pure bard > sorc in terms of CS killing power.

Allereli
04-21-2009, 02:57 AM
Well-written, I must say. It wasn't just a QQing, it was a QQing with very legitimate reasons.

Unfortunately Emeradan's probably gonna get in ur forums, ganking ur post.

EDIT: Your link is fucked up. That right parenthesis on the end is dicking with it.

Fixed link here: https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=102&category=8&topic=3&message=43764

Thanks, link fixed in post. I also emailed it directly to all the parties named, along with the product managers, because Em probably will pull it.

Danical
04-21-2009, 02:58 AM
I don't really see a reason why he'll pull it.

There's nothing against TOS in it.

Renian
04-21-2009, 03:00 AM
It's very well thought out and it's also sad not much has been done to rectify the glaring problem that is: pure bard > sorc in terms of CS killing power.

I don't see that as a problem. What I see as a problem is the fact that bards are more mana efficient in doing it. You can whack something with 10 mana in a single cast. Sorcs should be able to do that with 705 + lores on a semi-regular basis.

Oh, also the fact that for instant-whacking, bards get to keep their loot. Sorcs don't necessarily.

That's why he'll pull it, lolz.

Allereli
04-21-2009, 03:00 AM
I don't really see a reason why he'll pull it.

Em does not like me. Half my unfiled emails in my gmail inbox are pulled posts.

Danical
04-21-2009, 03:11 AM
I don't see that as a problem. What I see as a problem is the fact that bards are more mana efficient in doing it. You can whack something with 10 mana in a single cast. Sorcs should be able to do that with 705 + lores on a semi-regular basis.

Oh, also the fact that for instant-whacking, bards get to keep their loot. Sorcs don't necessarily.

I think 705 should be given a chance to insta-kill like BS/Immolation/Wither with Lore/Mana Controls. That'd go a long way I think.

radamanthys
04-21-2009, 03:17 AM
Aww. One less reason to come back.

Swami71
04-21-2009, 04:33 AM
I think 705 should be given a chance to insta-kill like BS/Immolation/Wither with Lore/Mana Controls. That'd go a long way I think.

Not that I wouldn't like more power but I'm happy with it. I think the strength of 705 is that it works on everything. DC and 720 are our insta-kill spells for most things. 720 usually only costs around 16-17 mana on like level for most sorcerers. 1106 is only for living things with bones. :shrug:

And Allereli come back in a couple weeks after they've learned their lesson. :hug2:

Joe
04-21-2009, 04:37 AM
Hrm... and here I was gonna start being an alchemist.

Asha
04-21-2009, 05:06 AM
The ingredients and fucking infuriating other shit sorcerers have to put up with for their spells to work PLUS the fact Empaths > Sorcs has made me pull on my dick and cry before.
When i tried scroll infusion the other day (im capped btw lol) for the first time I wanted to infuse 611 on a scroll with 6 spells. All in their teens.
Never again.
Same with animate, I used to use it in rift for saving Thoranios and crylone but now I never use it ever. Duration + ingredients = stfu.
WHY CANT WE JUST CAST IT AND IT HAPPEN!!

I hated everyone who asked for components. They are twats.
I can't go on about what I hate about sorcery, I'm flipping out.
I havent even mastered illusions!!!!! WHY IS EVERYTHING MEANT TO BE SUCH A TIME SINK WE'RE NOT ALL BRAIN DEAD POWERFREAKS WITH NO JOB!

Allereli
04-21-2009, 08:27 AM
WHY IS EVERYTHING MEANT TO BE SUCH A TIME SINK WE'RE NOT ALL BRAIN DEAD POWERFREAKS WITH NO JOB!

GS4 tagline: It's exciting to watch numbers count down!

Izzy
04-21-2009, 08:49 AM
(...) the fact Empaths > Sorcs has made me pull on my dick and cry before.

:wtf: That's the strangest reaction to frustration I've ever heard. :P

Asha
04-21-2009, 08:54 AM
I stole it off Ross on Friends. :)

Rolton-Sammich
04-21-2009, 10:22 AM
YEAH THAT DICKHOLE TOTALLY GANKED YOUR POST

o wait

Allereli, good luck in your future endeavors.

~
GM Emeradan

Allereli
04-21-2009, 10:23 AM
I So SO agree on Alchemy. I was so excited when it came out. Then when I realized all the tedium it entailed I was seriously discouraged. I don't have the time of a 14 year old who lives with their parents in suburbia. And that's exactly who it seems alchemy is for.

I don't think it's appropriate for 14 year olds either, they should be in school, getting jobs and being with their friends.

That Jay
04-21-2009, 11:14 AM
I don't think it's appropriate for 14 year olds either, they should be in school, getting jobs and being with their friends.

But, but, those 43 year old overweight housewives with unwaxed moustaches and commitment issues posing as lusty sylvan harem girls are their friends!!!!!

..I'm sorry, I meant "house husbands".

DoctorUnne
04-21-2009, 11:33 AM
"Once you're done, you can make the animate healing potion, but I hope you were on Teras and saved up every single deathstone possible (they're really not common), because you need four per potion, and they're only found on Teras.

I'm sure you've thought of this already, but since you already MA, maybe take one of your alts to Teras and do AG tasks until she gets a deathstone bounty, and then have her harvest deathstones for your main without ever turning in the bounty?

Or is there some limitation that prevents that?

BigWorm
04-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Not that I wouldn't like more power but I'm happy with it. I think the strength of 705 is that it works on everything. DC and 720 are our insta-kill spells for most things. 720 usually only costs around 16-17 mana on like level for most sorcerers. 1106 is only for living things with bones. :shrug:

And Allereli come back in a couple weeks after they've learned their lesson. :hug2:

Woah there buddy. What kind of sorcerer are you? You're supposed to be freaking out. You better turn up the whining or hand over your sorcerer guild membership. ;)

---

Anyway, sad to see you go Allereli. Our characters never interacted much, but I definitely enjoyed some of the things you've done with Twillight and the others things you've done to give back to the game.

TheHof
04-21-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm sure you've thought of this already, but since you already MA, maybe take one of your alts to Teras and do AG tasks until she gets a deathstone bounty, and then have her harvest deathstones for your main without ever turning in the bounty?

Or is there some limitation that prevents that?

I'm pretty sure that after the number drops that you are searching for, that increased chance stops immediately.

~Licel

Anothi
04-21-2009, 11:41 AM
[QUOTE=That Jay;926072]But, but, those 43 year old overweight housewives with unwaxed moustaches and commitment issues posing as lusty sylvan harem girls are their friends!!!!!

ROFL!!

Drew
04-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Good post.

Fallen
04-21-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm pretty sure that after the number drops that you are searching for, that increased chance stops immediately.

~Licel

Correct.

Ker_Thwap
04-21-2009, 01:12 PM
It all makes perfect sense to me, except the "I'm leaving" part.

It is just a game, meant to be fun. We all play for slightly different reasons. I keep my expectations low with regard to my online entertainment, that way I never get too frustrated.

Take some time off to take a breather, or stick around and be patient. There are a lot of rather pointless time sinks in this game, but there's also not a prize to finish a skill quickly. Maybe your post will be a rallying cry to cause some change down the road. Like, months or years down the road.

Change is always a slow process, maybe one of the staff members will have time to fix some little things now, and look at the overall processes later.

Hope I'm not being to preachy, just trying to help.

Allereli
04-21-2009, 01:31 PM
It all makes perfect sense to me, except the "I'm leaving" part.

It is just a game, meant to be fun. We all play for slightly different reasons. I keep my expectations low with regard to my online entertainment, that way I never get too frustrated.

I fully hope to come back, I'm not selling out. I spend about $900 a year on GS. That's a lot of money for me and I have high expectations with regard to the entertainment I receive from it. I have high standards and expectations for everything in life, and I try to live up to them on my end. I can use that money for many other things than just being patient, I have some very expensive hobbies.

The past two years of development, instead of alchemy, could have been spent on fixing the existing sorcerer profession.

Asha
04-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Holy shit that last sentence pwnt

zhelas
04-21-2009, 01:46 PM
The past two years of development, instead of alchemy, could have been spent on fixing the existing sorcerer profession.

Amen!

That and they could have fixed the bugs in other professions as well.

I agree with your comments on Alchemy. I know I have started it but I tell you, it doesn't make the game fun at all for me.

I may decide to wait for Savants to come out before continuing it.

Glad you are not selling your souls. Nothing is more frustrating than bumping into someone you knew only to find they are being controlled by someone else.

Peace

Asha
04-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Wonder if we can convert eventually?

Danical
04-21-2009, 02:18 PM
I've always said Alchemy was the biggest joke/waste of time ever in GS. There's next to zero benefit and the amount of time it takes is just insane.

Sean of the Thread
04-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Wonder if we can convert eventually?

From RP'n a hail twiddling gay sorc?

There's always hope.

Asha
04-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Heh he has gay make up alter now.

Proxy
04-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Post 1

I'll echo that. I've spent a lot of time over the last decade and a half or so with gemstone. And I've had fun. Problem is most of the fun was 5-10 years ago. In my recent experiences with Gemstone the last 5 years, we have seen a lot of change with the sorcery profession(the only profession I every was interested in) Some good, most not so IMHO. In short I use to enjoy playing now that is not longer even possible due to the "balanced" nature of sorcery, and the time factor to use all those fancy bells and whistles that have been add.

In a nut shell, GS is a game, and the point of a game is to be enjoyable. As GS is greatly less then that, from my perspective, I no longer have any interest in playing. And where I once would recommend GS to friends and others I'd meet. I no longer will, and should GS be brought up in any conversation. I will strongly recommend that anyone who may be interested in it, to look else where for a better gaming experience.

EC; Sorcery, Alchemy(guild work in general), Loot systems, Staff issues, Events, Countless "RSN" statements(Monks 2004!), Game Cost, and what ever else, all add to the brand of Fail that now is GS.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii99/Flying_Squirles/GemstoneFails.jpg
Just saying...

That Jay
04-21-2009, 03:12 PM
And where I once would recommend GS to friends and others I'd meet. I no longer will, and should GS be brought up in any conversation. I will strongly recommend that anyone who may be interested in it, to look else where for a better gaming experience.

These days I would only recommend it to those who have a potential to be Simu-Barbies and would get off on virtual dress-up....or raffled Tehir gobbledygook hide.

Jayvn
04-21-2009, 04:25 PM
You said there would be boobs on the goodbye post....

Allereli
04-21-2009, 04:30 PM
You said there would be boobs on the goodbye post....

it's my goodbye GS post, not my goodbye PC post.

Morph
04-21-2009, 06:40 PM
When you say volunteers are you saying that GH's and GM's are unpaid? I did not know this. If this is true then we should probably all treat them with a little more respect.

Warriorbird
04-21-2009, 06:42 PM
GH's are unpaid. Low end GM's are unpaid (theoretically for a probationary type period). The higher end get paid but not that much.

That Jay
04-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Have you seen the physiques of most of the GMs? A lot of them have low ends.

Asha
04-21-2009, 07:05 PM
That was a fuckface thing to say.

Proxy
04-21-2009, 07:08 PM
True, but funny none the less.

CaptContagious
04-22-2009, 12:25 AM
I am very sad to hear that you are leaving. Be it temporary or not.

I left GS for about 4-5 years but came back about 2 years ago because I couldnt find the complexity in other games that I could find in GS. The mechanics to GS are wonderful (the ones that work that is). The fact a pure bard can destroy shit better then a sorc comes at its own price (sorcerers can do it at a lot lower level too). Alchemy is a joke I fully agree to that. But you will find that most if not all other MMORP games out there have nothing close it and the ones that do are almost the same. You have accomplished a lot in your time in GS and its a lot to give up. I hope everything you wish to be changed gets changed so you come back because if its one thing this game needs is people like you who care and put an effort into helping this game get better and not just powerhunt, max out all their stats and become a complete dick to any newbie that asks a simple question. It is quite clear that your leaving will leave an emptiness that all will feel. I wish you the best of luck in your other hobbies!

Allereli
04-22-2009, 12:51 AM
I am very sad to hear that you are leaving. Be it temporary or not.

I left GS for about 4-5 years but came back about 2 years ago because I couldnt find the complexity in other games that I could find in GS. The mechanics to GS are wonderful (the ones that work that is). The fact a pure bard can destroy shit better then a sorc comes at its own price (sorcerers can do it at a lot lower level too). Alchemy is a joke I fully agree to that. But you will find that most if not all other MMORP games out there have nothing close it and the ones that do are almost the same. You have accomplished a lot in your time in GS and its a lot to give up. I hope everything you wish to be changed gets changed so you come back because if its one thing this game needs is people like you who care and put an effort into helping this game get better and not just powerhunt, max out all their stats and become a complete dick to any newbie that asks a simple question. It is quite clear that your leaving will leave an emptiness that all will feel. I wish you the best of luck in your other hobbies!

thanks for the kind words, I'm not even sure if I know your characters.

Gave up my Twilight position tonight, sad panda face

Rocktar
04-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Be safe, find better enjoyment and sorry to see prominant people go. More and more I have to ask myself the same hard questions. Does it return value for the money? Does it return value for the time? Do I enjoy myself playing it?

And more and more the answers are less and less positive.

phantasm
04-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Hrm... and here I was gonna start being an alchemist.

Are you really a restaurant manager.

Sablemane
04-24-2009, 04:40 PM
...I am thankful for being a rogue who knows nothing, and cares nothing, about alchemy, spells, locks, familiars, traps, or glowing essence coming out from critter's bungholes.

Fallen
04-24-2009, 05:16 PM
I know rogues to this day that don't bother with CMANs. They just hide/ambush/loot. Its a good thing.

Stunseed
04-24-2009, 05:29 PM
I know rogues to this day that don't bother with CMANs. They just hide/ambush/loot. Its a good thing.

I normally don't like playing the devil's advocate, but can't you just inc 702/repeat/loot? Rogues die by magic, Sorc's get killed by manuevers. It's been proven that Sorcs in general with a modicum of effort can spell-tank far past what is needed.

Personal opinion, Sorcs are a very versitile class that can do a whole lot. It might be a pain in the ass, but you have the opportunity to do it. Before the armor release, Warriors didn't have anything of worth. Clerics are in the same boat as you, but have plenty of versitility in their spells ( 325, 350 ).

I understand being upset, but in regards to the professions, Sorcs have alot in their camp.

Fallen
04-24-2009, 05:33 PM
I normally don't like playing the devil's advocate, but can't you just inc 702/repeat/loot? Rogues die by magic, Sorc's get killed by manuevers. It's been proven that Sorcs in general with a modicum of effort can spell-tank far past what is needed.

Personal opinion, Sorcs are a very versitile class that can do a whole lot. It might be a pain in the ass, but you have the opportunity to do it. Before the armor release, Warriors didn't have anything of worth. Clerics are in the same boat as you, but have plenty of versitility in their spells ( 325, 350 ).

I understand being upset, but in regards to the professions, Sorcs have alot in their camp.

We could hunt with 701 if we wanted to plink away. The difference is one shot kills. 701/702/705 doesn't provide them, ambushing does. My comment wasn't meant to express how great rogues are compared to anyone else. It was more along the lines of many players don't bother with all the frills. Like you said, they cast 702/705/719 and call it a day, just as a rogue gets their one shot kills by typing ambush head from hiding. Everything else is just gravy. However, when you've been playing a long time, typing ambush head, or 705 705 705 isn't enough to keep you interested.

On a larger point, Alchemy was also a primary reason why Allereli is leaving, which has nothing to do with Sorcery..or professions in general. Giving the complexity of the system, the tediousness of its design, and its overall effort Versus reward, I would describe Alchemy as the single worst release in all of Gemstone. Nothing I personally would quit over, but then again, I never bothered with so much of a rank of it.

As far as spell tanking, it is far easier for most classes to spell tank via MAing than it is for sorcerers. Hell, warriors are BALANCED around spell tanking. A warrior near-at cap is the closest a profession can come to being unviable without outside spells. They have the ability to learn the 100's and the 400's, so they count for less. A sorcerer, to get benefits from MAing would need a wizard to be casting what? 503? 509? We already have the 100's and the 400's. To spell tank we need to get the non-self-cast spells. We already know the standard fair.

Allereli
04-24-2009, 05:34 PM
I normally don't like playing the devil's advocate, but can't you just inc 702/repeat/loot?

sounds like a lot of fun, let's just get rid of all the rest of the spells instead of fixing them.

Allereli
04-24-2009, 05:39 PM
On a larger point, Alchemy was also a primary reason why Allereli is leaving

I think I clearly stated that alchemy is not the only reason I'm leaving, the pointlessness of it is definitely the icing, but I don't separate alchemy from sorcery if it's going to be used to "fix" spells like animate dead.

Fallen
04-24-2009, 05:40 PM
sounds like a lot of fun, let's just get rid of all the rest of the spells instead of fixing them.

He took my comment out of context. He thought I was saying rogues are much better off than sorcerers because they can ambush for kills. Of course they can. That doesn't mean they are any less in need of DEV than sorcerers, or any other profession. Looking at the comments in the Rogue folder, however, it doesn't look like they are going to have very long to wait. Oscuro is going to give them lots of goodies to play with soon enough. If you have ideas for how to improve rogues, NOW is the time to be discussing them on the officials. Further, unless Oscuro goes out of his way to see that these benefits are Rogue-Only, I imagine stealth based rangers will be receiving some love via his updates as well.

Stunseed
04-24-2009, 05:53 PM

I'm no stranger to this fight, believe me.

At the same time, the sheer amount of opportunity a Sorc has is incredible compared to the majority of other professions. Do they cost alot to do well? Ayup. But you have the choice to what you'd like to do. I'd like to have the best of all worlds as a Ranger too, but it isn't going to happen. Let me know when that happens and I'll take the red pill with you.

I'm in all agreement that Alchemy doesn't look oh-so exciting, but it offers benefit for effort. Some people find it worth it, others not so much. I don't see it worth my time, so I don't do it.

My bad in trying to see the point of it, but I don't play a Sorc so I can't relate to your plight in full. However, I think ALL professions feel your pain with the issue at hand.

Fallen
04-24-2009, 05:56 PM
To join in on your playing of Devil's advocate, wouldn't a best of both worlds ranger be one who can make great use of his spells AND hunt from hiding with a bow? Is this not possible now with enough TPs?

Stunseed
04-24-2009, 06:02 PM
You're going to have to ask an archer that one, I fear. Not my cup of tea. You have a preset "image" of what a ranger is, one who fires and hides. If that's the case, you shouldn't be able to train any other way. It'd be like me telling you E couldn't use a shield, because the best of both worlds Sorc should have enough magical ranks to use a staff.

However there are multiple issues with the skill mangler in regards to the profession. Like the Sorc's plight in regards to the lores that improve them, a Ranger only has 101 ranks of lore, period.

Again, I'm not saying OMG U shouldn't leave. I'm also not saying lack of development isn't an issue, I agree. I'm also not trying to make a he said - she said thing. My bad.

Danical
04-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Ranged is also supremely annoying vs undead and especially non-corp undead (or living).

I fucking hate searching for arrows.

But, personally, i'd make ass loads of haste/strength imbeds and 1RT eye-aim.

Allereli
04-24-2009, 07:43 PM
Again, I'm not saying OMG U shouldn't leave. I'm also not saying lack of development isn't an issue, I agree. I'm also not trying to make a he said - she said thing. My bad.

Lack of development isn't an issue, it's spending development time on the wrong shit that no one wants and isn't fun, while other projects go unfinished or broken for years.

let me emphasize that there are a lot of good things about the game including the people and the basic ideas behind the complicated systems, but those ideas need to be implemented better, and the rules need to reflect the size of the game and the small population.

Defeat
04-25-2009, 11:51 AM
let me emphasize that there are a lot of good things about the game including the people and the basic ideas behind the complicated systems, but those ideas need to be implemented better, and the rules need to reflect the size of the game and the small population.

i concur. i welcome you in advance to the retirement party.

- Jack