PDA

View Full Version : The GOOD OLE DAYS!

Blazing247
07-25-2003, 05:50 PM
The topic about myths got me reminiscing a little bit about the good old days of Gemstone. Don't take "good old days" to mean "before AOL" or "before snerts"- I am talking game mechanic wise. What game mechanics from the olden days do you miss the most? Here is my list:

1) The old death mechanics! So many memories...Celtic and Nighthawk helping me get my first vultite weapon back from kral tops my memory list...they both died in the swarm!

2) The old DC...nothing will ever, ever compare to that spell.

3) Being able to hold shaalk/vultite regardless of your level. Helps out being a young caster.

4) The tree being noded (post Harcourt).

5) The old true strike/guard.

6) Granite Triangles/Squares. Best box found items period...

There's plenty more, but that's a start. What do you all miss mechanics-wise from the olden days that you wish never changed/were changed back.

imported_Kranar
07-25-2003, 05:54 PM
I wish #5 and #6 still applied.

Bobmuhthol
07-25-2003, 06:03 PM
The rule that stated 'Any weapon that is 10x and incredibly crit weighted is not rare'. I want me some 10x katanas for 250 coins, damnit.

Taernath
07-25-2003, 06:34 PM
I miss licking my sword and getting a head wound. Red crystals, too. Refresh my memory, what was so good about the old True Strike/Guard?

imported_Kranar
07-25-2003, 06:50 PM
It was uncapped and based on levels, not ranks.

[Edited on 7-25-2003 by Kranar]

peam
07-26-2003, 07:38 PM
I do miss the old treasure system. Now to make decent cash, especially at lower levels, you have to hunt things that have devestating manuever attacks or things that are just downright hard to kill.

Scott
07-26-2003, 07:54 PM
I miss trap door parties in the catacombs..... That was like the huge thing when it was on AOL.

"TP party at the crossroads!"

StrayRogue
07-28-2003, 07:36 AM
The old old treasure system worked in a way that would no longer work now: Basically good treasure was determined by the hour you played (usually at the most expensive times). Hence why Thalior got all the really really cool items.

StrayRogue
07-28-2003, 07:37 AM
Now thats what I miss, old box-founds and cool items. Not the ones these days that have to be play-tested to death to make them balancing for everyone. The fact that Anfelt was nothing but 4x shows how much of a joke the treasure and merchant system has become.