PDA

View Full Version : I am irate

Celephais
04-06-2009, 04:29 PM
So a few weeks ago (maybe a month) I took my car in for service (30k), that weekend someone was following me somewhere and noticed my middle taillight was out... okay they fucked it up, but I was pretty busy and didn't get around to calling them about it. Now today it rains, first time I've been out in the rain since I got the service... I go out to my car to go home and as I start to drive away I notice water is leaking behind the glove box onto the passanger side floor.

I called the service center, had to leave a message, it's a rather large dealership service center, I'm going to try to demand they (obviously) fix it, and then detail the interior. Any advice on ensuring I get these? What exactly would cause that kind of breech from the exterior to interior?

diethx
04-06-2009, 04:31 PM
How do you know it's something they did?

thefarmer
04-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Get the work order they gave you when they billed you and look at it carefully. Then go to another mechanic and show them the problems and the work order and ask if your original place could have been at fault.

Celephais
04-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Can't think of anything else that could possibly have caused this. It wasn't like it leaked before this. It's not just a simple drip either, it pours in.

Jorddyn
04-06-2009, 04:43 PM

Speaking as someone who worked in the shop of a dealership for ~6 years, let me tell you it is always something they did.

We replaced a radio once for someone who had been in for an oil change. Nevermind that she had jumped the car twice in the interim.

During cold spells, we receive multiple calls of "THIS CAR YOU SOLD ME WON'T START". It's 20 below, and your 6 year old car sat outside overnight. Of course it won't start!

And, my personal favorite was a call from a customer who had one of our loaner vehicles. "Your car went in the ditch." By itself??

Anyway, back to Cele. It's likely not something the dealership did - directly anyway. I'd wager you have leaves/dirt/junk clogging up the air intake. Probably got jostled around while they were servicing.

There's also some tube on the AC condenser that can be screwed up - which could have happened if you have a serpentine belt - but are you running AC this time of year?

Stanley Burrell
04-06-2009, 04:48 PM
I was driving down the Meritt in the rain last week and my windshield wipers snagged together (you only need like a tiny bit of clearance messed up and your whole shit goes kaboom). Suffice to say, even though the dealership put what were those new wipers on the car, I still brought it back to them just to fix it up.

Always go to the dealership. It is scientific fact that even if they jip you, it will still be only one-tenth as bad as if you get ripped off in some other place.

Celephais
04-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Anyway, back to Cele. It's likely not something the dealership did - directly anyway. I'd wager you have leaves/dirt/junk clogging up the air intake. Probably got jostled around while they were servicing.

There's also some tube on the AC condenser that can be screwed up - which could have happened if you have a serpentine belt - but are you running AC this time of year?
They did a lot of shit, a lot of it unnecessary (I knew it too but just wanted the whole thing for peace of mind... that got fucked).

"Performed oil change, topped off all fluid levels, replaced air filter and fuel filter, replaced engine cooland and transmission fluid, performed fuel induction service, rotated and balanced tires, performed safety inspection, all lights, belts and hoses are good, all steering and suspension components are good"

The rear center taillight was fine prior to the service, fucked the next afternoon.

I called them again and they said they'd take a look and fix it free if it was something they did, including a shampooing of the carpet. So I'm happy for now (until they tell me it wasn't them and I have to go on a rampage).

Tsa`ah
04-06-2009, 05:01 PM

That's generally where the heater core is located. It'll be antifreeze/coolant if it's a leak from the HVAC system.

Collect the fluid. If it's just water you probably have a windshield leak. If it's orange or green ... you have a leak in your heater core or the heater hose is leaking or not clamped tight enough for a seal.

Jorddyn
04-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Yea, with that much service, they really should have taken the 10 seconds to make sure the intake wasn't clogged.

Celephais
04-06-2009, 05:05 PM
That's generally where the heater core is located. It'll be antifreeze/coolant if it's a leak from the HVAC system.

Collect the fluid. If it's just water you probably have a windshield leak.
It is water. It stopped once I got in the garage, and there was a shitload of it, I checked all my fluids and they're all still topped.

Jorddyn
04-06-2009, 05:06 PM

Collect the fluid. If it's just water you probably have a windshield leak. If it's orange or green ... you have a leak in your heater core or the heater hose is leaking or not clamped tight enough for a seal.

If it was a windshield leak, he'd likely be seeing water other places, too. And I'd hope he'd be able to tell the difference between antifreeze and water. The sick-sweet smell alone should make him realize it isn't water.

It is possible there's a leak in the gasket that holds the heater core in place - but I'm sticking with my guess #1 - air intake.

Tsa`ah
04-06-2009, 05:11 PM
The chances of water coming through via a bad firewall gromet is pretty slim.

Let's place some bets.

Jorddyn
04-06-2009, 05:16 PM
The chances of water coming through via a bad firewall gromet is pretty slim.

I'm saying that the drain on the air intake is plugged, and water is coming in that way. No bad grommet or gasket necessary.

Tsa`ah
04-06-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm saying windshield.

thefarmer
04-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Invisible Goatse is leaking into your interior.

Latrinsorm
04-06-2009, 06:20 PM
I was driving down the Meritt in the rain last week and my windshield wipers snagged together (you only need like a tiny bit of clearance messed up and your whole shit goes kaboom).I used to have a car whose driver's side windshield wiper would get snagged on the frame sometimes when it was farthest from the rest position. Not good times, but I'm fairly confident it was hexed by Blessed Theobald Rogeri or something because I put Rain-X on once and within half an hour had flipped my car.

Also, I'd like to bet on whatever Jorddyn said over whatever Tsa`ah said, because he doesn't try to be right and she's generally awesome.

diethx
04-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Speaking as someone who worked in the shop of a dealership for ~6 years, let me tell you it is always something they did.

Anyway, back to Cele. It's likely not something the dealership did

??

thefarmer
04-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Jorddyn forgot the italics on the first part I think.

Jorddyn
04-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Jorddyn forgot the italics on the first part I think.

I'm sorry, I'll go back to my remedial italics class :(

Jayvn
04-06-2009, 08:12 PM
You need to have them check your blinker fluid levels if you take it back.... often they wont do this and you need to ask for it to be done specifically..it's no extra charge either.

Celephais
04-06-2009, 08:15 PM
You need to have them check your blinker fluid levels if you take it back.... often they wont do this and you need to ask for it to be done specifically..it's no extra charge either.
Oh good idea, I'll have them check the horn gears too.

Skeeter
04-06-2009, 08:17 PM
I had a windshield leak when they replaced mine. Sounds just like this with water pouring in in buckets. I'm with Tsa'ah

Gan
04-07-2009, 08:16 AM
windshield weatherstripping/seal

or sunroof (do you have a sunroof?)

Drew
04-07-2009, 09:45 AM
If it hadn't rained in a long time you could have had the problem for a while and not noticed it.

Celephais
04-07-2009, 05:11 PM
windshield weatherstripping/seal

or sunroof (do you have a sunroof?)
No sunroof, it's dripping in exclusively from behind the glove box, nothing in the glovebox, nothing on the drivers side.

If it hadn't rained in a long time you could have had the problem for a while and not noticed it.
I would say that at least within a month prior to the service it was fine and in the rain.

I'll know for sure what it is tomorrow... get your bets in.

Ker_Thwap
04-08-2009, 10:35 AM
I would "guess" that you have one of those useless passenger cabin air filters underneath your glove compartment, and in the process of checking/changing that filter they reinstalled it improperly.

Jack
04-08-2009, 01:16 PM
An improperly installed cabin air filter cannot, under any circumstance cause a water leak, unless they used a drill to remove the old one, or some other total nonsense.... Nothing they did would have caused it to leak water, just like nothing they did or did not do could cause your brake light bulb to burn out. Like most typical customers, you bring your car in, knowing that you personally know nothing about servicing or repairing cars, and expect them to take care of it all for you. Then after it's done, whenever anything at all goes wrong, you immediately jump to the conclusion that the technician who serviced your car caused the problems. I see it on a daily basis, "You changed my oil, now my A/C doesn't blow as cold!" or "After you fixed the brakes on my car the engine started leaking oil!"

As for getting it fixed for free, there are several factors that the service manager will consider. Did you buy the car from them, have you bought cars from them previously, have you consistantly brought your car to the dealership for service, basicly he or she is going to decide whether it's worth taking a hit to keep you as a customer, or whether they should just cut you loose. Your best bet is to go in there and remain calm, if you start hooting and hollering all you're going to do is give them all something to laugh about for the rest of the week.

Celephais
04-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Winner.

I took it in, went into the waiting room and asked a guy if he knew if the shuttle left yet (it was 8:14, shuttle goes at 8:15 and 9:30). He said I just missed it, but got a mechanic to drive me to work anyway because he "wasn't going to make me wait that long".

Then I get a call middle of the day, asking for more specifics to reproduce (so now I'm worried they're spending a lot of time figuring it out), then another call later telling me they found leaves clogging the air intake, nothing they did. So no problem, easily accept it's not their fault, and get ready to bend over for it. Total cost... zero. They swapped out the bulb, and vaccumed my passenger side carpet too. I didn't even buy the car there (although I am religious about using them as a service center, better believe that's not changing now).

Anyway I'm rather the opposite of irate now.

That and no surprise Tsa'ah was wrong.

Jorddyn
04-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Where's my cookie?

Methais
04-08-2009, 05:13 PM
I was looking for a cookie for you, but I found this instead:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/LAZZOR/Motivational%20Poster%20Parodies/1202270005161.jpg

Jorddyn
04-08-2009, 05:13 PM

Nice.

But I still want my cookie!

Methais
04-08-2009, 05:14 PM
http://susispice.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/cookie.jpg

Jorddyn
04-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Thank you. My day is now complete!

Methais
04-08-2009, 05:24 PM
http://www.sending-teddy-bears.co.uk/acatalog/th_aw_happy_hugs.gif

diethx
04-08-2009, 05:26 PM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/LAZZOR/Motivational%20Poster%20Parodies/1202270005161.jpg

Fuck, rofl.

Jack
04-08-2009, 06:07 PM
That's pretty good news, glad they took care of it too. If you always do your service at the dealership, you've given them enough money that they can eat the cost of a four dollar light bulb, and the time spent finding the leaves. They've also ensured that you continue to give them buisness in the future, so everyone wins.

Drew
04-08-2009, 06:41 PM
That and no surprise Tsa'ah was wrong.

Refer to my sig quote.