PDA

View Full Version : Stupid people and animal companions

BriarFox
04-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Ranger companions aren't the animal equivalent of town bicycles. Log for your amusement:

[Town Square, Small Park]

As you scratch the golden brown fox behind the ears, she tilts her head into your hand, attempting to offer up the best angle to reach the itchiest spots.

Goddi just arrived.

Goddi giggles.

Goddi gives the golden brown fox a kiss on the top of her head.

Goddi giggles at a mischievous golden brown fox.

You give your eyebrow a little workout.

Goddi says, "MIschievous."

Goddi squints at a mischievous golden brown fox.

Speaking to Goddi, you ask, "You did bring her the price she charges for letting you kiss her?"

Speaking to Goddi, you say, "She might get very upset with you in a moment otherwise."

You see Goddi the Swordsman.
He appears to be a Half-Elf.
He is tall and appears to be very young. He has black eyes and dark skin. He has long, braided black hair worn in elaborate braids.
He has minor cuts and bruises on his chest.
He is wearing an engraved gold crown, a vaalin chain, a crystal amulet, a deeply hooded elven-crafted robe, a massive iron-bound back scabbard slung over his shoulder, a midnight black leather shoulder sheath slung over his other shoulder, some lion engraved full plate, an intricate gold ring, a tightly woven spidersilk sack, some black silk pants, a black vaalin-threaded anklet, and a pair of ankle-tied sandals.

Goddi mischievously exclaims, "Stolen! even better, for free!"

Speaking in Sylvankind to a mischievous golden brown fox, you say, "He probably didn't know."

Goddi winks at a mischievous golden brown fox.

Speaking to Goddi, you say, "She's not exactly tame. You should go and get a rabbit quickly."

You rub your chin thoughtfully.

Speaking to Goddi, you suggest, "Otherwise, running might be good?"

You nod to Goddi.

Goddi mischievously says, "I'm just being playful."

You ponder the meaning of a mischievous golden brown fox's existence.

Speaking to Goddi, you say, "Probably best that way."

Goddi's eyes glaze over as he stares, unfocused, into the distance.

Goddi narrows his eyes.

Goddi closes his eyes for a moment.

Goddi is admiring himself again.

Goddi wrinkles his nose.

Speaking to Goddi, you say, "She's get very antsy."

You lean against the statue, taking a momentary rest.

A mischievous golden brown fox drools with ravenous hunger!

Your companion senses your atavistic feelings and her raw untamed emotions begin to surface. With a last bit of effort, she picks up on your desire to do violence to Goddi and begins to focus on him.

You shrug at Goddi.

Speaking to Goddi, you say, "Warned you not to tease her."

Goddi exclaims, "Bet she's waiting for the next chicken to scare!"

A mischievous golden brown fox snaps her jaws forward faster than Goddi can snatch his left arm out of the way. The jaws snap closed with the arm between them!
... 5 points of damage!
Minor puncture to the left arm.

You feel outward to your companion and impress upon her your desire that she cease her current endeavor.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

Goddi exclaims, "Well this chicken is accounted for!"

You glance appraisingly at a mischievous golden brown fox.

Goddi blinks at a mischievous golden brown fox.

Speaking to a mischievous golden brown fox, you say, "Tit for tat. That's probably enough."

You shrug at Goddi.

Speaking to Goddi, you say, "Though I don't know that I'd linger."

Goddi rolls his eyes.

Goddi just went north.

You remove a darkly burnished sylvan longbow inlaid with whorls of fireleaf from in your leather baldric.

Goddi just arrived.

Goddi picks up a small apple.

The golden brown fox turns her head away from Goddi as he brings the apple near her.

You laugh softly, trying to hide your amusement.

Speaking amusedly to Goddi, you say, "Foxes are carnivores."

Goddi licks a small apple in his hand.

Goddi giggles.

Goddi takes a bite of his small apple.

Goddi just went north.

Goddi just arrived.

The golden brown fox turns her head away from Goddi as he brings the stew near her.

The golden brown fox turns her head away from Goddi as he brings the drumstick near her.

You say, "Try dropping it on the ground by her."

Goddi says, "MmmMmmm."

You say, "You already teased her once."

You shrug.

Goddi carefully places a juicy roasted drumstick on the ground.

You concentrate on the tastes and smells of food and focusing it down the link to your companion. After a few moments you feel the hunger pangs that this induces in your companion.

You nod to the golden brown fox.

A mischievous golden brown fox takes a bite of a juicy roasted drumstick.
Your mouth waters slightly as the taste of good food floods the link from your animal companion.

Goddi looks at a mischievous golden brown fox and cheers!

A mischievous golden brown fox takes a bite of a juicy roasted drumstick.
Your mouth waters slightly as the taste of good food floods the link from your animal companion.

Speaking to Goddi, you say, "Wise man."

Interlocking your fingers, you slowly extend your arms up over your head in a long, satisfying stretch.

Speaking to a mischievous golden brown fox, Goddi exclaims, "Roasty!"

A mischievous golden brown fox rushes in!

A mischievous golden brown fox pads west.

Goddi mischievously exclaims, "I wanna get into a fight with dat fox!"

Goddi snickers.

Goddi steeples his fingers together, quietly observing his surroundings.

You cock your head at Goddi.

A mischievous golden brown fox pads in!

Speaking amusedly to Goddi, you say, "I don't really recommend that. She eats Vvrael."

Goddi says, "Animal lovers, I'll Never understand..."

You raise an eyebrow in Goddi's direction.

Speaking to Goddi, you ask, "Understand what, exactly?"

Goddi says, "How you could love an animal more than a human."

Goddi says, "Or elf."

You chuckle.

Goddi says, "For that matter."

Goddi shrugs.

Goddi says, "Or..."

Goddi says, "The best is..."

Speaking to Goddi, you say, "They're better company by far, some of them. And you're inferring a lot anyway."

You yawn.

Goddi exclaims, "The ENvironment!"

As you scratch the golden brown fox behind the ears, she tilts her head into your hand, attempting to offer up the best angle to reach the itchiest spots.

Goddi cackles!

You ponder the meaning of Goddi's existence.

Goddi says, "Tree huggers."

Goddi snorts.

Speaking to Goddi, you say, "Tell you what. If you're so confident you're better than nature, you can see if Tawny wants to duel you."

You shrug.

Speaking to Goddi, you say, "I'll give you 3 to 1 odds she wipes the floor with you."

Goddi shrugs.

You raise an eyebrow in Goddi's direction.

Goddi says, "I doubt that."

You say, "Doubt all you like, but as the humans say, "Put up or shut up."."

Goddi says, "I guess we're all strange and lonely in our own different ways."

Goddi gently rubs the golden brown fox on the head.

Your companion senses your atavistic feelings and her raw untamed emotions begin to surface. With a last bit of effort, she picks up on your desire to do violence to Goddi and begins to focus on him.

Speaking to Goddi, you say, "She really doesn't like you, you know."

A mischievous golden brown fox lunges at Goddi!
A mischievous golden brown fox grabs Goddi's hand in her mouth and shakes her head back and forth viciously!
... 15 points of damage!
Shot to the hand slices a finger to the bone!

Goddi says, "No."

Goodi says, "She likes me fine."

You glance at a mischievous golden brown fox.

Goddi says, "You don't."

Goddi removes a mithril claidhmore from in his iron-bound back scabbard.

A mischievous golden brown fox snaps her jaws forward faster than Goddi can snatch his right arm out of the way. The golden brown fox's fangs sink deep into the arm!
... 20 points of damage!
Strike pierces forearm!
He is stunned!

Speaking to Goddi, you say, "You're a presumptuous sort."

A mischievous golden brown fox snaps her jaws forward faster than Goddi can snatch his right leg out of the way. The jaws snap closed with the leg between them!
... 10 points of damage!
Strike pierces thigh!
He is knocked to the ground!

Goddi says, "If that's what they call good judgement these days..."

Speaking to Goddi, you ask, "I've travelled with Tawny for 20 years, and you think you know her better than I do after two minutes?"

Goddi exclaims, "I'll Take it!"

Goddi rolls to the right, then springs to his feet, ready again for action!

A mischievous golden brown fox snaps her jaws forward faster than Goddi can snatch his right leg out of the way. The jaws snap closed with the leg between them!
... 10 points of damage!
Strike pierces thigh!
He is knocked to the ground!

You feel outward to your companion and impress upon her your desire that she cease her current endeavor.
Roundtime: 7 sec.

Speaking to a mischievous golden brown fox, you say, "Stop. He's not worth killing."

Goddi swings a mithril claidhmore at a mischievous golden brown fox!
AS: +288 vs DS: +713 with AvD: +32 + d100 roll: +50 = -343
A clean miss.

Your companion senses your atavistic feelings and her raw untamed emotions begin to surface.

Goddi snickers.

You notice Goddi botch an attempt to conceal himself.

Speaking to Goddi, you say, "Your death."

Goddi stands up.

Goddi put a mithril claidhmore in his iron-bound back scabbard.

A mischievous golden brown fox snaps her jaws forward faster than Goddi can snatch his right leg out of the way. The golden brown fox's fangs sink deep into the leg!
... 20 points of damage!
Strike pierces calf!
Goddi screams and falls to the ground grasping his mangled right leg!
He is stunned!

Roundtime: 5 sec.

Goddi says, "Bloods on your hands, poor fox had to get involved in this."

Goddi says, "Bloods on your hands, poor fox had to get involved in this."

You gently rub the golden brown fox on the head and neck. The fox breathes out a quick sigh.

Goddi says, "Poor little mischievous fox."

Speaking to Goddi, you ask, "You have the capacity of a mental midget, don't you?"

Goddi says, "Finish the deed."

You say, "Tawny's already proved her point."

You shrug.

Goddi exclaims, "I dunno, I sort of think that midgets tend to pack a power whopping of energy and insight!"

Speaking to Goddi, you say, "Whatever helps you sleep at night."

Goddi says, "Oh it doesn't..."

Goddi says, "Midgets and clowns give me nightmares."

You sigh.

Goddi chuckles.

Goddi says, "Eww...."

Goddi exclaims, "Midgets!"

You gaze up into the heavens.

Goddi snickers.

Goddi says, "Stupid little low capacity beings."

Speaking to Goddi, you suggest, "Why don't you go find one to extol its virtues?"

Goddi says, "A hired clown."

Speaking to Goddi, you say, "You ... are obviously a mad man. One instant midgets are intelligent, the next they're stupid."

Goddi exclaims, "Is like an assassin of funny!"

Speaking to Goddi, you say, "No, that's you."

You grimace.

Goddi says, "I might point out.."

Goddi says, "That it was you who belittle the hobbits."

Speaking to Goddi, you say, "Hobbits are meant to be the way they are. I said you were a mental midget, which implies deformity."

Goddi exclaims, "Oh!

Speaking to Goddi, you say, "But you almost managed something there."

You applaud Goddi.

Goddi asks, "So I'm ugly am I!?"

Speaking to Goddi, you say, "Just stunted intellectually. Perhaps you can crawl back into your cocoon."

Speaking to Goddi, you say, "Give it ... fifty years or so."

You shrug.

Goddi says, "Man."

Goddi says, "People sure are mean."

Goddi says, "I don't get it..."

Goddi says, "It must be.. Nature."

Goddi snickers.

Goddi just left.

You say, "There you go. Play up the victimization. Woe is you."

Endlin
04-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Goddi swings a mithril claidhmore at a mischievous golden brown fox!
AS: +288 vs DS: +713 with AvD: +32 + d100 roll: +50 = -343
A clean miss.

He almost had her.

MotleyCrew
04-05-2009, 09:44 PM
You called it right BF...my favorite part:

Goddi just went north.

You remove a darkly burnished sylvan longbow inlaid with whorls of fireleaf from in your leather baldric.

Good boy scouts are ALWAYS prepared! ;)

Baelog
04-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Remind me not to piss off your fox

Rolton-Sammich
04-05-2009, 11:25 PM
I understood all of this until the part about midgets. It appears that at that point the conversation became quite drunk and wandered off.

After "It must be.. Nature." would have been a perfect time for the fox to go for the throat.

BriarFox
04-06-2009, 08:50 AM
I understood all of this until the part about midgets. It appears that at that point the conversation became quite drunk and wandered off.

After "It must be.. Nature." would have been a perfect time for the fox to go for the throat.

Yeah, I had no clue what the guy was talking about after a little while either. It was tempting to kill him, but it was in town, and it was a bit unnecessary.

Winter's Kiss
04-06-2009, 03:14 PM
I've noticed that more and more players are thinking that ACs are easy targets. I had some chick in Fourwinds during the invasion try and attack Lady, Luna's albatross thinking it was part of it. Took me 5 minutes to explain to the thick-headed girl that she wasn't an invasion critter... Because invasion critters wear ribbons around their legs.. :rolls eyes:

Asha
04-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Do all ACs have a high DS?
I always found their sorc TDs pathetic btw.

Drew
04-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Luckily most PCs can't hit companions.

Drew
04-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Do all ACs have a high DS?
I always found their sorc TDs pathetic btw.

Yeah they have boss DS. TD is not so great, but capped ACs have decent TD.

BriarFox
04-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Yeah they have boss DS. TD is not so great, but capped ACs have decent TD.

I've never checked TD, actually. I'll have to pay attention next time a Grimswarm or something casts at her.

BriarFox
04-06-2009, 03:41 PM
I've noticed that more and more players are thinking that ACs are easy targets. I had some chick in Fourwinds during the invasion try and attack Lady, Luna's albatross thinking it was part of it. Took me 5 minutes to explain to the thick-headed girl that she wasn't an invasion critter... Because invasion critters wear ribbons around their legs.. :rolls eyes:

I'd like to say I'm constantly amazed by stupidity, but ... I'm not. That girl sounds as brilliant as this guy, who couldn't take my several hints that Tawny would kick his ass ("wipe the floor with you," "she eats Vvrael," etc). Maybe he thought I was exaggerating.

Tea & Strumpets
04-06-2009, 04:25 PM
I've never checked TD, actually. I'll have to pay attention next time a Grimswarm or something casts at her.

Critters are much more likely to attack (or search for) you, as opposed to your AC. I doubt many rangers ever bother to intentionally tell their AC to attack (as opposed to it auto attacking if you get disabled), but there was a GM post on the ranger boards a while back that said that critters are still more likely to attack you, rather than your AC (as opposed to if you had a player character hunting with you, in which case the chances of either of you getting attacked is 50/50).

I wonder if sorceror animates have that handicap. If not, nerf sorcs.

BriarFox
04-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Critters are much more likely to attack (or search for) you, as opposed to your AC. I doubt many rangers ever bother to intentionally tell their AC to attack (as opposed to it auto attacking if you get disabled), but there was a GM post on the ranger boards a while back that said that critters are still more likely to attack you, rather than your AC (as opposed to if you had a player character hunting with you, in which case the chances of either of you getting attacked is 50/50).

Thanks for the info. I actually really like it this way. If our companions get killed, it usually knocks us out cold for at least sixty seconds. It also fucks up our attunement with them. I FAR prefer to have things attack me rather than her.

Tea & Strumpets
04-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the info. I actually really like it this way. If our companions get killed, it usually knocks us out cold for at least sixty seconds. It also fucks up our attunement with them. I FAR prefer to have things attack me rather than her.

That would be great if they could actually be hit by like level critters. I dunno how things scale down at lvl 30 and above, but critters can't hurt my AC. A like level player character at cap easily could, but not a critter.

TheWitch
04-06-2009, 04:51 PM

Nerf away. Two people use the spell, and they won't notice because they have auction items that make 730 actually worth using.

/sarcasm

FYI, animates don't attack unless we tell them to. PC's can't attack animates unless they're in attack mode. Animates do not seem to draw fire away from the sorcerer all that much, no. But if you can work your way through the buggy "guard" mode, they will attack when you're disabled.

I know this because I had one of the wands for awhile. Since I don't have the wand anymore, I ceased using the spell. It's been a couple months, maybe some of the issues were fixed.

:rofl:

TheLastShamurai
04-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Nerf away. Two people use the spell, and they won't notice because they have auction items that make 730 actually worth using.

/sarcasm

FYI, animates don't attack unless we tell them to. PC's can't attack animates unless they're in attack mode. Animates do not seem to draw fire away from the sorcerer all that much, no. But if you can work your way through the buggy "guard" mode, they will attack when you're disabled.

I know this because I had one of the wands for awhile. Since I don't have the wand anymore, I ceased using the spell. It's been a couple months, maybe some of the issues were fixed.

It's all moot anyways til Demonic Control comes out and you can summon Cthulhu.

Tea & Strumpets
04-06-2009, 05:20 PM

/sarcasm

I don't think any of the spell-based hunting partners (singing sword, animates, AC) are really worth anything combat wise. It's much easier for all of those professions to just kill anything themselves.

I dunno if it's even possible for critters to attack that singing sword thing that bards do, and I dunno if there is a 50/50 chance for critters to attack an active animate or the sorceror, but I do know that the chance for a critter to attack an AC or a ranger is a not a 50/50 chance. The odds are weighted for the critter to attack the ranger unless I am hallucinating about a GM post on the ranger boards a few years ago.

yesicj
04-06-2009, 06:43 PM
It's all moot anyways til Demonic Control comes out and you can summon Cthulhu.

The dreamer has awoken...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Z6XQSaZ9E

TheWitch
04-06-2009, 09:20 PM
I don't think any of the spell-based hunting partners (singing sword, animates, AC) are really worth anything combat wise. It's much easier for all of those professions to just kill anything themselves.

I dunno if it's even possible for critters to attack that singing sword thing that bards do, and I dunno if there is a 50/50 chance for critters to attack an active animate or the sorceror, but I do know that the chance for a critter to attack an AC or a ranger is a not a 50/50 chance. The odds are weighted for the critter to attack the ranger unless I am hallucinating about a GM post on the ranger boards a few years ago.

I wouldn't even guess at a ratio, but I know my animate (when I had them) usually didn't get more than a minor. But then, neither did I...

730 actually is a decent spell, in very specific situations. Dead PC's, for instance, in OTF where dragging past a construct is impossible. Or, killing said construct (anti-magic) so you can drag.

AC's look (and I've never played a ranger, but I hunted with one pretty constantly for about three years) much less lethal, but much less work to have. Of course, I don't know how much macro spamming he had to do to make it look that way.

I would largely agree, though, the companion spells are ... clunky.

And in GSIV, Cthulhu summons you.

DaCapn
04-07-2009, 01:37 AM

I've never attacked an animal companion but I could see how someone not in the know could get confused. They appear in all regards to be a creature and if they shamble in during an invasion, it could get confusing to some people (more so demons probably) especially if they don't look as non-threatening as "a mischievous golden brown fox." Aside from that, a lot of people probably don't appraise before they attack.

ANyway the guy in the original post did seem to be pretty lame all around.