PDA

View Full Version : Worker's Comp. Help

LMingrone
03-31-2009, 12:12 PM
Looking for advice from anyone who has delt with a similar situation before.

I was working on a metal press at work last Monday. You have to put alot of pressure on it for it to work. I heard and felt a crack in my ribs. So I took two days off ( I supposedly had nine vacation days left ). So I put one vacation day on my time card. My boss pulls me aside today and tells me the days don't accrue till the end of the year and he's not paying...he's lieing, I have the employee handbook.

So he tells me to go apply for workers comp if I want 1 friggin day of pay. So I walked out.

Do I call corporate? Do I just go get an X-ray? I hate doctors. How much of a % of your pay do you receive on comp? I'm gonna be searching all day on the net since I'm home. just wondering if anyone had any experience with it. I wish I could just quit, finding jobs is fucking hard right now.

Keller
03-31-2009, 12:22 PM
Do you have any human resource reps on site?

AnticorRifling
03-31-2009, 12:24 PM
If you don't have HR on site you call corp HR ASAP.

Keller
03-31-2009, 12:28 PM
I also think this site is helpful, but I would make sure you e-mail the HR rep, even if you speak to them in person, so you have a record of all of this.

Be as specific as possible.

I see a retalitory firing in your future.

AnticorRifling
03-31-2009, 12:29 PM
Site the whistle blower act if the boss gets ass hurt that you went to HR and proved him to be a douche.

Kuyuk
03-31-2009, 12:35 PM
as a former HR person - document everything..

Document time/date of what happened, who you talked to about it, document what he said at what time. cite the employee handbook

They are going to document everything as well, so if this goes further up the processing mill, it's your documentation vs theirs.

LMingrone
03-31-2009, 12:36 PM
I also think this site is helpful, but I would make sure you e-mail the HR rep, even if you speak to them in person, so you have a record of all of this.

Be as specific as possible.

I see a retalitory firing in your future.

It's a franchise, so I would have to call the main offices. The good thing is they can't fire me, because of my skills, they need me. I would quit today and screw them if I could. But I actually like the work I do, and finding another job in the field is not possible right now. I'll be calling the main HR, and getting an X-ray today. BASTARDS!

Whores. Same time last year I broke my hand and pulled/ripped all the ligaments and tendons in my left hand. They complained about me missing two days.

Two years ago they forgot to clean the ice of the stairs. I fell and bruised pretty much every muscle in my back. Again, they complain, and don't pay me for missing one day. DAMN YOU!

Time to win the Lottery.

AnticorRifling
03-31-2009, 12:40 PM
Two years ago they forgot to clean the ice of the stairs. I fell and bruised pretty much every muscle in my back. Again, they complain, and don't pay me for missing one day. DAMN YOU!

Time to win the Lottery.

See this one I don't agree with. They didn't forget to assume that as an adult you could watch where you were going and assess danger for yourself. I'm sorry but I hate the ZOMG no wet floor sign bullshit that is America sometimes.
I know right foot then left foot then repeat is crazy hard but still....

LMingrone
03-31-2009, 12:52 PM
See this one I don't agree with. They didn't forget to assume that as an adult you could watch where you were going and assess danger for yourself. I'm sorry but I hate the ZOMG no wet floor sign bullshit that is America sometimes.
I know right foot then left foot then repeat is crazy hard but still....

I agree. I'm not one of those people that think making money of dumb mistakes is right, the reason I never followed it up. One of my mom's tenants slipped down the stairs and sued her for a ton of money. I hate sue happy people. At the same time, at least in a work place, the owners have to make sure the workplace is safe.

I'm only complaining about getting reamed for missing a couple days when you hurt yourself on the job. I was fine with just having a vacation day used. But when someone tells me I can't use it when I was making them thousands of dollars....It hurts a little.

And it's not the same as "right in front of left" when your told to carry a 16' piece of aluminum up stairs you think have been salted. Not that I'm making excuses, because I actually do agree with you.

Rocktar
03-31-2009, 01:47 PM
Document everything in INK and keep multiple copies.

Call HR immediatly.

Get your medical condition documented and be sure to tell them that is is a Workman's Comp case and you need it all documented.

Call the local Labor Board or whatever they call it there and ask them for help on what you should do.

Then look at your boss and quietly explain that first, they are paying for the days, second the manual says your time adds up right now and they didn't informe you of a change (something they have to do, don't have to ask you, but they do have to tell you if/when they change things) and lastly that you are going to document everything so that if he continues to disallow you your rights, you will be forced to seek legal help in securing them.

With this kind of record, I would look elsewhere for work, you would be suprized what you may find for someone that is skilled.

Keller
03-31-2009, 01:53 PM
suprized

:help:

LMingrone
03-31-2009, 02:20 PM

Pretty much what I'm doing right now. Stupid bosses are both licensed lawyers though, so I'm screwed. Guess I'll just make sure I'm okay, and keep working till I find a new place.

Keller
03-31-2009, 02:30 PM
Pretty much what I'm doing right now. Stupid bosses are both licensed lawyers though, so I'm screwed. Guess I'll just make sure I'm okay, and keep working till I find a new place.

50% of lawyers are dumber than your average person.

There is no reason to believe that you're screwed because they are lawyers.

LMingrone
03-31-2009, 02:46 PM
Agreed, once again.

They are very smart though, not typical lawyers. Although they don't work as lawyers anymore, they would put me through a horrendous process if I tried anything. And they keep records of EVERYTHING. I should have done the same, but didn't.

AnticorRifling
03-31-2009, 03:59 PM
Tell him that your going to burn his house down.