PDA

View Full Version : Fantaisies going a bit too far?

Pages : [1] 2

Xcalibur
02-14-2004, 06:01 PM
So snowdrop claims that it's "acceptable" to be a 10 years old girl living in a world with a bow and a sword at her side USED to kill people.

I said people.

So she's claiming (indirectly) that a 10 years old girl can withstand the whole stress and traumastim of cutting the throad of a person and watching that person bleed out and die...

A bit too far?

What after? someone inviting an imaginary pirate boat? People pretending to have nervous pregnancy? Cyber sex in merchant events?

Her profil

Race: Sylvankind Gender: Female
Clan: Lassaran D'ahranal
She appears to be very young and shorter than average.
She has mischievous, enchanting blue eyes and lily white skin.
She has raggedly cut, scruffy flame-red hair with two braids at each temple interwoven with Imaera lace.
She has a round face, a freckled button nose and small delicate ears swept into slightly upturned points.
Strongest foe vanquished: a storm griffin

Quote: "Fear the ten year old Outlaw and her Owl...wanted in 6 of the 7 Elven Nations, soon to be 7"

[Edited on 14-2-04 by Xcalibur]

Nieninque
02-14-2004, 06:03 PM
She doesnt use a sword and it isnt real life.
Dont like it? Thats up to you, dont roleplay with her.
And she has never cut anyone's throat and watched then bleed to death.

Latrinsorm
02-14-2004, 06:03 PM
You could make the case that no fantasy goes too far, it's all make-believe. However, Simutronics has indicated in several places that they're trying to keep the game kid-safe, so having a fake kid walking around fake murdering fake things would be a no-no, I guess.

Speaking of kid killers, though, check out City of God. I hear it's awesome.

Pierat
02-14-2004, 06:14 PM
Uhm, why you dragging me into this, whats the big deal with my boat? lol.... Its not like I havent TRIED to start a "house" that was on a boat down in the docks in town, jeez

Xcalibur
02-14-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Pierat
Uhm, why you dragging me into this, whats the big deal with my boat? lol.... Its not like I havent TRIED to start a "house" that was on a boat down in the docks in town, jeez

How do you say that? Tongue on the cheek? I was teasing you, man. Still, it's imaginary (real sense of it ;) ) :lol:

Snowdrop, you are the worse roleplayer I ever saw, you created something "unique" but which is impossible physicaly, mentaly (in the short run, even) and socialy.

You deserve my first offical BOOH

Soulpieced
02-14-2004, 06:19 PM
Isn't the very young attribute for a sylvankind about 300? A 10 year old sylvan would be on par to a human child of about 3 in size and stature I'd imagine.

Soulpieced
02-14-2004, 06:23 PM
Lowest age range for a sylvan: 30 to 176. So a 10 year old sylvan can be extrapolated to have the physical capability of a 7 year old human child, but with smaller stature. Not a viable RP, as the youngest a sylvan who could leave home to adventure would be 30 just so you know.

Because knowing is half the battle.

Xcalibur
02-14-2004, 06:32 PM
Not only it's impossible IN REAL LIFE, but it's impossible IN GAME.

Man, that sux :lol::socool:

HarmNone
02-14-2004, 06:56 PM
I have always believed that playing a child in GemStone is poor roleplaying, unless the player of that child maintains the "child" image. That would mean, to me, no hunting (whoops! no leveling!), not being readily accepted into adult groups (whoops! Hope there are other kids around to play with.), and spending large amounts of time being educated (Yep. School.).

Also required would be the aging factor. Nobody stays ten years old forever. A reasonable time factor for aging the child would have to be adhered to. Additionally, the mores for the particular racial culture should be considered. No ten year old Sylvan is going to be out gallivanting around the countryside. It is not the Sylvan way.

I do not consider myself the standing expert on roleplaying in Elanthia, but I do believe there are ways to do it right and ways to get it all wrong. Playing a child in Elanthia is a sure way to get it all wrong, in my opinion, unless you are willing to take your roleplay several levels above bare minimum and subject yourself to the limitations that are part of doing it properly. :)

HarmNone

Pierat
02-14-2004, 06:57 PM
wait....... theres sylvans in RL now?

HarmNone
02-14-2004, 06:58 PM
Yes, Pierat. ;)

HarmNone

Weedmage Princess
02-14-2004, 07:44 PM
I'll have to agree with the others who say it's a bit of a stretch. I can't check now, but what I gather from what Soulpieced says, the mechanics of the game don't allow you to set your age to 10 as a Sylvan. That would mean you're playing out of the boundaries of the game...which...eh...kinda stinks :thumbsdown:

Along the lines of people who try to RP that they are kobolds or roltons and other stuff like that...just not cool.

Pallon
02-14-2004, 08:06 PM
When I hear the name Snowdrop I just wanna toss her a ball of yarn or a rubber mouse or something

Caiylania
02-14-2004, 08:38 PM
yeah, what HarmNone said.

Xcalibur
02-14-2004, 08:50 PM
We're discreting her, a lot. All of her roleplaying is based on being a 10 years old wood elf. That plainly sux. Her character isn't old enough to have boobs, yet, she hunts and kill and destroy and murder.

BOOOOOOOOH

Latrinsorm
02-14-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Xcalibur
Her character isn't old enough to have boobs, Good thing X has his priorities straight. :D

CrystalTears
02-14-2004, 11:13 PM
I'm curious as to what the reason is to have the character 10 years old. And I don't mean a history to support it. I mean, what is the fascination to roleplay a child in a clearly adult-dominated game? The mechanics aren't even built around a child. Why force that particular roleplay?

MaryJane
02-14-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Pierat
wait....... theres sylvans in RL now?

Thank you for the laugh!:P

Sweets
02-16-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Pallon
When I hear the name Snowdrop I just wanna toss her a ball of yarn or a rubber mouse or something

Ditto on the name.

I will add my boo to the 10 year old roleplay as well. Though I maintain a do what you will it's your game, I would not interact with that character. Lamer than a evilsorc or tartlovinghalfling.

Kia
02-16-2004, 02:13 PM
I'm jealous! I want an official BOOH!

:)

Kia.

Trinitis
02-16-2004, 02:16 PM
Historicly thinking, it is known that young children fought, and died in battles. They killed and was killed. A 10 year old is maybe pushing the boundries of that, but I'm sure they fought and died at some point.

Now, as for the aging of a Sylph. I personally have always felt that they elves "grow" the same as a human does, they just do not age the same. So thus, a 10 year old elf would be just as physically "grown" as a human.

Do I agree with the RP? Not 100%. Does it effect me much? Not really. If I see her, and she interacts with me and I treat her like a child and she gets pissed and trys to harm me will she die? More then likly ;)

-Adredrin

Artha
02-16-2004, 02:19 PM
How effective were children fighting with swords? History says, "Not so much. (http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/children's_crusade.htm)"

Betheny
02-16-2004, 02:21 PM
Vonka.

I do n't know if she RP's a 'child' per se, but she RP's a character that's very child-like. And does it VERY well.

Trinitis
02-16-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Artha
How effective were children fighting with swords? History says, "Not so much. (http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/children's_crusade.htm)"

Never said they are good at it..just said it happened ;)

-Adredrin

Xcalibur
02-16-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Kia
I'm jealous! I want an official BOOH!

:)

Kia.

Non official, since you don't "sux" enough to get one (although celeri is a DAMN ugly name as a character (but goes with the idea of women in that era, i guess ;))

But here's one from your request!

DeV
02-16-2004, 05:24 PM
gemstone is a fantasy game in itself. people have characters that do things that would be unhread of in the real world every day. but, who cares, so what, we can either choose to roleplay with the person or not. life goes on.

its very heard of for children to fight, murder, and rape in some countries/cultures. so, although her roleplay may be a bit far fetched we all start off as 0 in Gemstone and we can choose to be who we want, or what we want. Why come down on someone for creating something you have nothing to do with.

i just dont see what the big deal is.

Artha
02-16-2004, 05:26 PM
its very heard of for children to fight, murder, and rape in some countries/cultures.

Currently, that's because they can get their tiny little hands on AKs.

Why come down on someone for creating something you have nothing to do with.

It's stupid, I'm bored, and it's stupid.

Nieninque
02-16-2004, 05:51 PM

Snowdrop, you are the worse roleplayer I ever saw, you created something "unique" but which is impossible physicaly, mentaly (in the short run, even) and socialy.

Erm...first off, I dont believe I have ever seen you in game, so Im not sure how you can judge my roleplay.

Secondly, aside from what's posted here, what is it about my roleplay that you dont like? The fact that I play Snowdrop as a child? Thats not "unique" (sic). I have encountered several players that have attempted to do something similar since I started playing Snowdrop and I very strongly doubt that I was the first.

Thirdly, Snowdrop has been awarded RP awards, so thankfully, not everyone is as narrow-minded as you. Judging by the amount of people who interact with Snowdrop as a child, (and that would be positively and negatively) it seems like you are pretty much in the minority.

You deserve my first offical BOOH

Oh the irony!
The scripting power-hunter is giving me a "booh" in his "fantaisies gone too far" thread...I'm soooooo upset :sniffle:
If you could spell, it wouldnt be as funny.
If you were the greatest roleplayer that ever existed, I wouldnt mind.
As it is, youre lame and you make me laugh. Get over yourself. :P

DeV
02-16-2004, 05:51 PM
Why am I replying to this post?

It's stupid, I'm bored, and it's stupid.

we all have days like that...

Bobmuhthol
02-16-2004, 05:53 PM
<<Thirdly, Snowdrop has been awarded RP awards,>>

So have I. I don't roleplay.

Artha
02-16-2004, 05:54 PM
Snowdrop has been awarded RP awards

To quote the great Methaias: Getting an RPA doesn't mean you're a good roleplayer.

DeV
02-16-2004, 05:55 PM
it sure beats not getting one when you are a good roleplayer

Artha
02-16-2004, 05:57 PM
Stay consistent and don't stop RPing, and you'll get one eventually.

Xcalibur
02-16-2004, 08:59 PM
Snowdrop, I have seen you MANY many times.

I don't play since a bit, but that doesn't mean I never saw you, hell, many characters I had interacted with you. You're not consistent.

You're the kind of roleplayer I call: Opportunist. You play her as what you'd want 50% of the time. Rest is influenced by your immediate feeling toward the situation.

You play her as a child? BRAVO! You're mistaken a part of being a child though. Soulpieced estimated snowdrop's age in human as around 7-8 years old.

Snowdrop is not a 7-8 years old person, maybe mentaly, but that would be with a problem of dedoublement of personalities.

Your third point mean 0 for me, as I was too, awared with RPA, and I even got one when scripting.

Do not compare your RP skills with me, by the way, I was one of the worse roleplayer in gemstone, but I do not try to lie about it :)

Pallon
02-16-2004, 09:02 PM
I got an RPA once while I was AFK in hiding waiting for a merchant to show up at ebon gate

Nieninque
02-17-2004, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Pallon
I got an RPA once while I was AFK in hiding waiting for a merchant to show up at ebon gate

That may have been when you got it, but it wouldnt have been what it was awarded for. I dont know a great deal about the RPA's but I understand they can be received up to a few weeks after the event.

Nieninque
02-17-2004, 03:12 AM
Snowdrop, I have seen you MANY many times.

I don't play since a bit, but that doesn't mean I never saw you, hell, many characters I had interacted with you. You're not consistent.

And that argument would hold some water if you gave examples. The reason you are giving both here and in the other thread is that Snowdrop is a child.

You're the kind of roleplayer I call: Opportunist. You play her as what you'd want 50% of the time. Rest is influenced by your immediate feeling toward the situation.

I dont profess to be the worlds greatest roleplayer...never have. I get pissed off with people who bully other people and I wont hide the fact that Snowdrop's temper comes from me. That having been said, I play Snowdrop how I want to play her 100% of the time. That doesnt mean I remember to keep her in character all the time, but as the person behind the character, she does what I tell her to do. The same as every one else with their character. Its how it is.

You play her as a child? BRAVO! You're mistaken a part of being a child though. Soulpieced estimated snowdrop's age in human as around 7-8 years old.

And Soulpieced is the font of all knowledge on Sylvan physiology? LOL.
I would reply to his claims, Prove it! Someone else wrote that the physiology of a sylvan ten year old was the same as a human ten year old. You ignore that post, or does it just not fit with your argument?

At the end of the day, it doesnt matter what you think. Its a make-believe world where people play all kinds of people, Elfs, hobbits, giants, even creatures from outer space. It's not real. If you asked your average run-of-the-mill person on the street what they thought about people who play the game in any way shape or form, they would say we're all mad. That its all fantasies gone too far. Im at a loss to see where it is any major concern of yours that Snowdrop is played as a ten year old.

Snowdrop is not a 7-8 years old person, maybe mentaly, but that would be with a problem of dedoublement of personalities.

Your third point mean 0 for me, as I was too, awared with RPA, and I even got one when scripting.

Do not compare your RP skills with me, by the way, I was one of the worse roleplayer in gemstone, but I do not try to lie about it :)

But you make yourself out to be the RPing guru of gemstone.
As I have said before, I dont profess to be the worlds greatest RPer. But I sure as hell know Im not the worst. In fact, you havent criticised my roleplaying, only the concept behind the character. Thats the screwed up part of your complaint.

In terms of whether it's viable for a ten year old to be adventuring...sure, the mechanics of gemstone set sylvans at a minimum age of 30. I wanted to do something different.

That arbitrary age of 30 is based upon the idea that people choose to leave their cozy homes and go adventuring. I wanted to play Snowdrop differently.

Whether it is something you like or not, it is the way I have chosen to play Snowdrop. Far from being the worst roleplay, its just an idea you dont like.

Thats fine, I dont expect everyone to like me, but get it into perspective...its a fantasy game. Its all fantasies gone to far.

Take your "booh" and stick it where the sun dont shine.

Trinitis
02-17-2004, 03:24 AM
I did not say they are the same, I just stated I *personally* feel they would be the same. I view the age differences of the races as just a time matter, not a growth difference. *shrug* its just a personal thought, really.

While I do love the idea of being an "expert on all things elven", I am by far not.

Though I do have a theory on the "wondering need" elves are suposed to feel once they reach the ripe old age of friggin old.

They all wonder off to a "human" realm and live in trees, making cookies. :P

Nieninque
02-17-2004, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by LordAdredrin
I did not say they are the same, I just stated I *personally* feel they would be the same. I view the age differences of the races as just a time matter, not a growth difference. *shrug* its just a personal thought, really.

Which is precisely what all of it is. The point I was making is that Xcalibur was using one person's post as if that was the concrete evidence he needed to complete his argument. He didnt mention your post, which is as valid as the other. Not saying either are right or wrong, because its make-believe.:)

Hanksbane
02-17-2004, 05:29 AM
Nice thread you have going. Of course, I liked it better the first time when it was called RP Age.

Anyways, I'll state this again. You can not compare children in our (as in RL) world to children in a fantasy world. Hell, you can't even compare children in our medieval times to children in a fantasy world. Why? Simple. Unless I am missing something, children in medieval times never walked outside, took a stroll and ran into a forest troll.

Its all about environment. I'll use myself as an example. Lets say all of a sudden I find myself in the middle of a desert. As a guy who grew up in the city and suburbs, I don't know how long I would last out there. Now, put me side by side with a 10 year old who was born in that desert. Odds are, he vultures would be pickin on my eyeballs well before the 10 year olds. Why? because I'm pretty sure the 10 year old knows how to survive somewhat out there, because he grew up there.

Get it? No? How about this. Take a knight from our medieval era who is victorious in battle, knows no fear, defeated many a foe. Now stick that guy in GS and put him in front of a bunch of...say...ogre warriors. Think he'd survive? Odds are probably not. Stick a 20 train halfling warrior in the same situation. I bet the halfing would clean house.

If you want to use the argument that a 10 year old can not physically fight, I would point out that gnomes and halfings fight big creatures in GS all the time. Now yes, im sure mature halfings nd gnomes are strong for their size, but really, how much more stronger can they be? Also, I've seen halflings carry claids. Pyhsically possible, I think not yet we all accept it. A dwarf firing a longbow? Nope. The longbow would be quite a bit taller than a dwarf. Maybe the bow was handcrafted to be a longbow sized for the dwarf? Okay I can see that. But if the dwarf gives that longbow to an elf, would it be a short bow for the elf? Nope.

Now its really early in the morning for me (damned insomnia) so maybe those situations won't make sense to me in a few hours but here is something I know makes sense. None of you have ever, Ever, EVER, met a real life sylvan, so you can not say what a 10 year old wood elf can or can not do

Now as for Snowdrops RP of a 10 year old. She does RP it that way. Does she lose her temper? Yes. Do children lose their temper, yes! Good lord yes. Does she act maybe a little too mature for beinga 10 year old, sometimes, but like I said before. that has to do with the environment shes in.

There are loads more people who do not RP at all in this game. X, you yourself said you aren't a great RP'er, so dont critique other peoples RP unless you set an example yourself. I for one do not think that Snowdrop being 10 fits into the category of bad RP. I think that its a unique choice, and I applaud her for keeping it up as long as she has since there are many people out there who want to discredit her character both in game and out of game.

Tsa`ah
02-17-2004, 06:30 AM
If you want to use the argument that a 10 year old can not physically fight, I would point out that gnomes and halfings fight big creatures in GS all the time. Now yes, im sure mature halfings nd gnomes are strong for their size, but really, how much more stronger can they be? Also, I've seen halflings carry claids. Pyhsically possible, I think not yet we all accept it. A dwarf firing a longbow? Nope. The longbow would be quite a bit taller than a dwarf. Maybe the bow was handcrafted to be a longbow sized for the dwarf? Okay I can see that. But if the dwarf gives that longbow to an elf, would it be a short bow for the elf? Nope.

Ah ... but a 10 year old halfling or gnome is a different story all together isn't it? Adult halflings are trained in combat and/or magics just as any race. The training, in my estimation, begins with the youth.

The crux of the argument is maturity and mechanics.

The mechanics of the game do not allow 10 year olds to exist in character form.

The maturity aspect renders it impossible for a 10-year-old child of any offered race to survive combat. The strength is not there to draw a bow, wear armor, or partake in melee combat to any advantage.

Not only does she survive combat, she excels in it. About the only things a 10-year-old sylph would be able to do with mediocre abilities are hiding/stalking and stealing. However, when compared to their adult counterparts, they are but rank armatures with the advantage of not being the usual suspects.

You could argue that a 10 year old sylph wouldn't be suspected of carrying around a cross bow, but she would not be able to knock it with any efficiency, nor would she obtain the advantage of surprise for very long. After the advantage is lost, the child is dead or maimed.

She may RP very well, but she doesn't RP a good, let alone believable, character.

It's a poor argument no matter what comparisons you make. Children are poor combatant against seasoned adult vets.

StrayRogue
02-17-2004, 06:47 AM
She's trying to Rp a certain character which is more than you ever did. So stfu.

Tsa`ah
02-17-2004, 07:14 AM
Mind specifying whom the "you" is in your post Stay?

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
She's trying to Rp a certain character which is more than you ever did. So stfu.

You don't know half of the character I had, so stfu yourself buddy ;)

Snowdrop, I won't give exemples, I don't need to, as MANY PEOPLE saw you. Your idea is unique BUT IT DOESN'T WORK.

Let me say it again but differently: Nice work, good idea, but you lack the knowledge and the consistent to do it fine.

If I would be playing and would saw you, I would see you as your profil says, a very young wood elf. That means 16-17 years old.

Go pretend all you want, it would be that and I'm sure it is for many, as well.

Nieninque
02-17-2004, 08:51 AM

Snowdrop, I won't give exemples, I don't need to, as MANY PEOPLE saw you. Your idea is unique BUT IT DOESN'T WORK.

I repeat...my idea is not unique.
I can think of someone who was in Vaalor who plays a 6 year old (though talks like a 2 year old). I met someone in Icemule the other day who was saying she played a 3 year old, whilst stood around talking like a 30 year old. As I already said, I would not be as arrogant for one minute to claim to be the first to play a child, given the length of time people have been playing GS. For you to continually insist otherwise just shows your own ignorance.

Let me say it again but differently: Nice work, good idea, but you lack the knowledge and the consistent to do it fine.

See now I'm confused. Because it looks here as though you are saying it's a good idea, but I'm too thick to pull it off? Yet earlier in the thread, you were saying its a stupid idea and no matter what I do, I couldnt pull it off. Make your mind up.

If I would be playing and would saw you, I would see you as your profil says, a very young wood elf. That means 16-17 years old.

And that way of thinking rates right up there with Quishd in my Alcoven thread who used the Profile verb to draw conclusions about my character in-game. Your character cant read my profile.

Well that made no sense...but taking the first part of that statement..."go pretend all you want" Thats the idea ;)

crazymage
02-17-2004, 09:02 AM
Who cares.

Amaron
02-17-2004, 09:50 AM
An excellent example of a child in Elanthia is in Solhaven.

Seawilee...

Go and play with her a bit she is great.

She doesn't hunt or very very rarely with her large group of her surrogate parents.

She plays tag all the time...

She plays hide and seek...

And its just fun to interact with her when I don't feel like hunting.

refreshing...

I LOVE to watch her latch onto someones leg and be a pest.

J

J-Tech
02-17-2004, 10:05 AM
Just to add to this, since i came back from GS, i've gotten 2 RPA's from 2 seperate GM's for simply assisting about a problem i had, in which both cases I WAS WRONG, LOL, so i would say getting an RPA doesnt mean shit, except the GM is favoring you for some reason at the current moment....

J.T.

DeV
02-17-2004, 10:41 AM
The argument can go back and forth but the point remains she's gonna roleplay who she wants and how she wants. I say.. shut the fuck up and let her. X, you even admitted you arent the best roleplayer, that means you shouldnt be judging anyones abilities. Why do we care what she roleplays. I have seen adults roleplay adults and suck at it...

Miss X
02-17-2004, 11:07 AM
I have never had a problem with Snowdrop IG, and as far as I can tell her player seems cool too, I dont think her RP skills are the issue here I think its the mechanics of GS.

We had the same issue when someone who posts here played a halfling that was actually a kobold. She RPd it very well, but the fact is the charecter was a halfling, simple as that. Now with Snowdrop, she is playing a sylvan ten year old... Mechanics wise that is not possible in GS, so the charecter is not ten, again very simple.
However, gemstone is a fantasy roleplaying game that people play to escape reality for a while and indulge in fantasy. Snowdrops player has decided to RP a ten year old? Whats the big deal, its not reality its not having an adverse effect on anyone. No one has to interact with her if they dont want to.
Its just like Pattie or Barumples, some people loved them and just accepeted it and let them have their fun, some people hated it and avoided them...

Hanksbane
02-17-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Tsa`ah
[quote]
The crux of the argument is maturity and mechanics.

Mechanics aren't 100% accurate either. Take my longbow example. A dwarf cannot fire a longbow in RL circumstances. Its too tall for him/her. A halfling cannot wear a giantmans armor and vice versa. We can travel across the continent in an hour. all that in RL isn't feasible. Yet we ALL suspend belief because of mechanics.

The mechanics of the game do not allow 10 year olds to exist in character form.

It isnt possible for a half elf to begin "adventuring" until hes 30. If I tried to RP one as a 20 year old due to mechanics, that shouldnt be allowed. But if I did, (and I do) most people accept it withour question.

The maturity aspect renders it impossible for a 10-year-old child of any offered race to survive combat. The strength is not there to draw a bow, wear armor, or partake in melee combat to any advantage.

Not only does she survive combat, she excels in it. About the only things a 10-year-old sylph would be able to do with mediocre abilities are hiding/stalking and stealing. However, when compared to their adult counterparts, they are but rank armatures with the advantage of not being the usual suspects.

There it is again. You assume you know the abilities of a sylph. You don't. None of us do. Unless you study real sylphs. Who is to say a 10 year old sylph can not be trained as well as an adult. Depends on her upbringing

You could argue that a 10 year old sylph wouldn't be suspected of carrying around a cross bow, but she would not be able to knock it with any efficiency, nor would she obtain the advantage of surprise for very long. After the advantage is lost, the child is dead or maimed.

See above argument

She may RP very well, but she doesn't RP a good, let alone believable, character.

I guess we just have to agree to disagree

It's a poor argument no matter what comparisons you make. Children are poor combatant against seasoned adult vets.

Not really. Snowdrop and one of my characters have been adventuring for about the same omount of years (from an RP point of view) She uses a light crossbow and a composite bow which really arent as hard to cock or draw as a heavy crossbow or longbow. So she is as trained as my archer is in regards to number of years in training. So that makes her as skilled as my archer who I guess you would put in the category of a "seasoned adult vet."

It really comes down to this. Some of you people do not agree with her choice, but thats what it is HER choice. You can argue about mechanics, but there are a lot of things we can do , that we shouldn't, regardless of mechanics. You can argue about the physicality of a 10 year old, but you really don't know what a 10 year old sylph is capable of.

So like I said before, those of us with opposite views will just have to disagree, and leave it at that.

Bobmuhthol
02-17-2004, 11:28 AM
Okay, we don't agree with her choice, that's exactly our point. In fact, we fucking despise it. Your choice is to agree with her.

So how does that make you right?

Iriscience
02-17-2004, 11:30 AM
Unless you study real sylphs

Uhhhhhhh

CrystalTears
02-17-2004, 12:02 PM
People can roleplay anything they want, however that gives me the right to roleplay that their character is a fruitcake.

Trinitis
02-17-2004, 12:14 PM
Of course, this all goes without mention that people are taking OOC information as too what her age is. When you look at her, she is "very young". Your gathering information that is OOC to tell you her age range. Your PC should not know these things.

As for being too young? I know a 10 year old that lives in this town that can draw a short bow, and hit targets dead on at over 75 feet away. Its all about what the kids are into. *shrug*

CrystalTears
02-17-2004, 12:28 PM
The thing is, it's almost as though it's understood, so to speak, that all PC's are of adult age, same as knowing that none of the races give the ability to fly or have moving tails. It's very hard to roleplay with someone when you start off with a preconceived notion and then be told "no I'm 10". Ugh.. how do you respond to that? All this time you're speaking as though they are adult and they're not?

No it's not hurting anyone, but when confronted with that, it makes it hard to roleplay with. The same with changing races. You can't physically be a halfling and then expect people to agree with you being a kobold if you don't look or act like a kobold. You can't throw that boomerang of a change on someone and expect them to comply with it just because you had this desire to go against the grain of what is expected of player characters.

Playing a 10 year old, or saying you're really a rolton, or that you're a fairy, doesn't mean that in essence you're a bad roleplayer. It just means that that one aspect is something people won't agree on and won't acknowledge in your roleplay and consider you a little bit of a freak.

And believe me, an empath that I adore says she's a rolton. I don't even acknowledge that fact about her to not get into the whole "you're not a rolton" and ruin her fun. She's a great person, great friend and a joy to be around. But that one aspect, I ain't even touching.

Trinitis
02-17-2004, 12:29 PM
::holds Vixen back::

You just had to say rolton damnit! arrg

DeV
02-17-2004, 02:57 PM
CrystalTears I have to disagree with you there. In essence it makes it hard to roleplay with someone who is bad at roleplaying be it them roleplaying a child or an adult. Plain and simple. If she is roleplaying a 10 year old.... and has been for however long, and no one has complained till now.. how much has it really been hurting people that her character is 10? There is a guy named Squirrel who acts like a squirrel, talks like one if you want to call it that, but still interacts with people. I see it as a character flaw, and just that, cause when you stop to look at it hes funny, and Im sure he has fun with his character, so where's the harm?

StrayRogue
02-17-2004, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by StrayRogue

You don't know half of the character I had, so stfu yourself buddy ;)

Considering you scripted loads, and even admitted here you didn't even bother trying to RP, I doubt the above has any value. And yeah, I do remember your character. Do they have the words boring, run-of-the-mil and pointless in your country?

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 03:23 PM
I never scripted with my 2 oldest, you pathetic excuse of weakness ;)

They were too old for the scripts available.

Scripting characters = those I didn't played long enough to "enjoy em"

If you want to prove i was a bad rper, don't try, I knew I were. I played sallazarre as I am and Silthar as I love to play (evil).

Fact is, she is the worse roleplayer ever. Remove "10 years old" with "child" and it would be... less... problematic.

Snowdrop, just shut my mouth by doing an assist and asking directly if it's allowed to play a 10 years old wood elf.

... A 10 years old murderer, rogue, bandits, outlawed... HAHAHAHAH

Gemstone at its finest.

Warriorbird
02-17-2004, 03:38 PM
Heck. Seawilwee seems far too stupid for ten to me. She also speaks a lot worse than any ten year old I know.

If it's done reasonably, I don't have a problem with it. My favorite example of a young character in fantasy literature is probably Jimmy the Hand in Raymond Feist's work. All the children in George R.R. Martin's latest saga are also a good example....as is the young Matthew Broderick in Lady Hawk.

:played a feral child in a different game, fairly well he thinks, too..though more inspired by the Mad Max series than anything else:

Nieninque
02-17-2004, 03:49 PM
Fact is, she is the worse roleplayer ever. Remove "10 years old" with "child" and it would be... less... problematic.

So it isnt my roleplay, its the idea? Curious...

If I am playing my adult character, am I a better RPer?

previously stated by Xcalibur
You see? Here you were saying the idea is good...but a little beyond me. You started off by saying the idea was bad.

It couldnt happen in-game or in real life, I believe you said.

We seem to have come full circle... :shrug:

I notice you havent slagged off Seawilwee, who someone else mentioned. Same idea you see...child in Elanthia.

But maybe that's because you think the idea is shit, and maybe you think its my roleplay thats shit. Maybe its both, or maybe you wouldnt know good roleplay if it jumped up and bit you on the arse.

Your arguments are flawed. Your logic is shot to pieces. I truly dont give a toss what you think about my roleplay or my characters because you dont seem to know your arse from your elbow. :smilegrin:

Snowdrop, just shut my mouth by doing an assist and asking directly if it's allowed to play a 10 years old wood elf.

Why are you so worried about what I do?
Do you feel threatened?
Do you feel inadequate?
Geez...get over it.

CrystalTears
02-17-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by DarkelfVold
CrystalTears I have to disagree with you there. In essence it makes it hard to roleplay with someone who is bad at roleplaying be it them roleplaying a child or an adult. Plain and simple. If she is roleplaying a 10 year old.... and has been for however long, and no one has complained till now.. how much has it really been hurting people that her character is 10? There is a guy named Squirrel who acts like a squirrel, talks like one if you want to call it that, but still interacts with people. I see it as a character flaw, and just that, cause when you stop to look at it hes funny, and Im sure he has fun with his character, so where's the harm?

I was speaking about good roleplayers with their "flaw". It's a bit annoying to be roleplaying along with someone and then all of a sudden they say "I'm 10 years old" or "I'm a rolton" when nowhere in their roleplay was that ever hinted or implied. That doesn't make them bad roleplayers, per say, it's just information that you wouldn't pick up from an online text game unless it's said.

You have to give people boundaries to know where to go on. And eliminating children helps because you start with the illusion that they are at least adult and sentient. Once you start roleplaying children and animals, elements that are not allowed in the mechanics of the game, it starts to cause problems.

There is nothing wrong with coming here and posting your grievances over it. That's what we're here for. Just because other people haven't come HERE to post about someone playing a child doesn't mean that others don't feel that way, it just means that these boards haven't heard those comments.

Warriorbird
02-17-2004, 04:01 PM
Deal with the world from the notion of age descriptors rather than ages and it gets better. Then again, with a good roleplayer you should have no doubt of their age.

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 04:03 PM
In fact, I think it's just that. She's trying to get the best of both worlds in that game.

IF she wants to be a 10 years old wood elf, go for it. Play it as it is, though. Put your stats as it is, also. I'm sure your strength is above 80, by the way.

And so on, be consistent.

Show your stats?

Nieninque
02-17-2004, 04:06 PM
In fact, I think it's just that. She's trying to get the best of both worlds in that game.

IF she wants to be a 10 years old wood elf, go for it. Play it as it is, though. Put your stats as it is, also. I'm sure your strength is above 80, by the way.

And so on, be consistent.

Show your stats?

So now it's ok if my stats are low enough?

Warriorbird
02-17-2004, 04:06 PM
A druid mutant Ranger might actually be a more effective player killer. :snicker: Very few people roleplay their stats.

[Edited on 2-17-2004 by Warriorbird]

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 04:07 PM
No. As they won't be "ok"

Stats = skill and info

Warriorbird, NO 10 years old wood elf could lift, let's say, 200 pounds.

[Edited on 17-2-04 by Xcalibur]

DeV
02-17-2004, 04:10 PM
That is correct CrystalTears in applying only to yourself. What makes you think you have the right to set the standard on how someone roleplays or how you feel their roleplaying should be perceived? People create characters that, even if you dont see it, have intricate personality traits. Many times in game we have to let people know things about our character that are not otherwise implied from first glance. Thats just the merchanics of roleplaying as a whole.

Its okay to come here and state your grievences, Yes. But all Im saying is to at least have a valid one.
And I also believe that no one has complained before because no one really gave a rats ass when it came down to it. Like I said, sensible complaints I can see. Complaining because you dont like the way someone roleplay's or cause its not at the standard you set for yourself---get real.

Nieninque

but if they were, it would be ok to play a 10 year old?

Warriorbird
No person with charisma "influence" as low as 95% of Elanthia would ever make it to Silvergate. Yet they still do. None of the weights make any sense either.

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Nieninque

You'd had a good start, but we all know that you play her as a teen, as you hunt regulary, kill people without remorse, is outlawed, carry stuff that you and me, TOGETHER, in real life, would had problem carrying, et cetera.

POST THE STATS!

Nieninque
02-17-2004, 04:13 PM

You'd had a good start, but we all know that you play her as a teen, as you hunt regulary, kill people without remorse, is outlawed, carry stuff that you and me, TOGETHER, in real life, would had problem carrying, et cetera.

Would it be ok if she was a teen?

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 04:13 PM
Define the real (in real life) years of teen.

Ambrosia
02-17-2004, 04:14 PM
10 year olds are impossible in GS and if you took it to a GM, they would say the same thing, there is a reason the age limit is set to 30, people should stick by the limit and leave it at that.

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 04:15 PM
What's the minimum age a human can have?

Nieninque
02-17-2004, 04:15 PM
Define the real (in real life) years of teen.

Really?

OK, for me, a teen is someone whose age ends in "teen"

So from thirTEEN through ninTEEN.

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 04:18 PM
We don't have that in french. 13 is not prononced in any way related to teen.

You just made me realize that, in english.

I would say teen is between 13 and 17, by the way.

So, if snowdrop was around 15 and plus, yes, as an hunter, i would agree that it could be possible.

Nieninque
02-17-2004, 04:22 PM
We don't have that in french. 13 is not prononced in any way related to teen.

You just made me realize that, in english.

I would say teen is between 13 and 17, by the way.

So, if snowdrop was around 15 and plus, yes, as an hunter, i would agree that it could be possible.

Which completely screws your mechanics arguments because, as has been posted earlier in this thread, the minimum age mechanically for a sylvan is 30.

Now, I dont think the mechanics are especially important, because for me, the game is about having fun. Thats what I try and do with all my characters, regardless of some sap who think's he is the RP guru or whatever. So one of the characters I play is a child? So what. Thats up to me. Dont like it, dont interact with her. Easy innit?

Your arguments have gone round in circles. You contradict yourself with every post. I really dont care what you think of me or my characters. Get over it ;)

DeV
02-17-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Ambrosia
10 year olds are impossible in GS and if you took it to a GM, they would say the same thing, there is a reason the age limit is set to 30, people should stick by the limit and leave it at that.
Anything is possible in GS.

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 04:27 PM
Yes I contradict myself, as I'm trying to get into your position and the other one and so on.

If I was doing a Bobmuhthol of myself, I would since long ago posted one line post with arguments 10 times badder.

Point is, I was speaking of teenage age as an HUMAN.

A wood elf can live up to what? 1000 years? If you do a simple rule of 3, it won't work at all.

We were speaking of that.

Your character is a bug, it doesn't work.

Mechanically as you said, you are not a teen, you're like 7 years old. That, my friend, is ridiculous if your stat are set as an adult and your skills are too.

There, something from rolemaster.

Rolemaster = former gemstone and gemstone 4 is still HEAVILY influenced by role master.

Level 0 = pre-teen to teenage years. Those years are your base and set your future "life" as an adventurer (profession and skills)

level1= first step into adulthood.

Elves are "immortal" but that...

Darkelf yeah, all is possible. But an assassin can be locked out if he is too good as an assassin. Policies makes gemstone a less possible game than possible.

Nieninque
02-17-2004, 04:31 PM
If I was doing a Bobmuhthol of myself, I would since long ago posted one line post with arguments 10 times badder.

What more is there to say?

Galleazzo
02-17-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
I'm curious as to what the reason is to have the character 10 years old. And I don't mean a history to support it. I mean, what is the fascination to roleplay a child in a clearly adult-dominated game? The mechanics aren't even built around a child. Why force that particular roleplay?

C'mon, CT, this is just numb. What's the fascination to playing an elf? A wizard? A lhealer? The mechanics don't prevent playing a child any more than they prevent playing a homosexual or a tree-hugger.

And excuse me, but how many times have they changed the ages already? 2-3 times last year?

Gawd sakes. Reading all these posts, I bet you're all just up for realism all the time, right?

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 04:33 PM
Your skills/stats?

Also, what's the age range of human and wood elves?

the mechanics put you a minimum

If the minimum of human are set at 18 years old, it means something.

Hanksbane
02-17-2004, 04:35 PM
[quote]Anything is possible in GS.

Yes it is. I agree. Like carrying 100 lbs boxes in a cloak. Once again in GS, mechanics dont necessarily equal believability. Yet we all do it.

And about stat. Stats don't prove anything. I bet most of the GS population do not RP their stats 100%. How many have a very low influence? Do you RP that? Warriors (for the most part) have low mental stats. Do all of the RP that?

As for her being the worst roleplayer? Why because she Rps being something that you THINK can not work? This comin from a script hunter. Lots of weight there.

CrystalTears
02-17-2004, 04:36 PM
The ages have NEVER allowed for you to play a child.

On a personal note, I don't WANT to play a roleplaying game that involved roleplaying a child or others who do so. And if Simu allows for people to roleplay children, I won't play anymore. It's bad enough it's a "family game", I don't need to roleplay to the child aspect as well.

[Edited on 2/17/2004 by CrystalTears]

Nieninque
Your skills/stats?

Also, what's the age range of human and wood elves?

the mechanics put you a minimum

If the minimum of human are set at 18 years old, it means something.

It does, but you have already said that it is ok to play a 15 year old, so dont go back and hang on the mechanics arguments again...you are really showing yourself up now.

And I wont post my stats and skills.

Not because of your puerile arguments, but because thats stuff I keep to myself.

Now run along and play :lol:

DeV
X.. how is her roleplaying interfering with yours?

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 04:38 PM
15 years old is not 7 years old.

You're hard to understand simple stuff like that?

Your age is like a 7 years old boy. At that age, you're not able to lift a sword and kill an ogre, for exemple.

And bows in the 15th century weren't the one we have now.

snowdrop, you are the worse roleplayer from ANY GAMES EVER MADE!

(that is said with my tongue on my cheek, since Warclaidhm and some people like him do play)

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 04:39 PM

I don't even play anymore. I'm just pushing her. Hell, if I was to return, I would probably try to befriend her.

She doesn't sound upset, she sounds intelligent and she sounds "mature"

She rocks, but her character blows...

CrystalTears
02-17-2004, 04:40 PM
Xcalibur, is your complaint that she plays a child, or that she roleplays badly? Playing a child is not in and of itself reason to be a bad roleplayer. Unless you give reasons why you feel that she isn't a good roleplayer, this back and forth bickering is pointless.

Bobmuhthol
02-17-2004, 04:42 PM
This thread is fucking dumb.

CrystalTears
02-17-2004, 04:43 PM

There are still limitations. This isn't a free-form game.

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
This thread is fucking dumb.

Since you just posted, I agree

Crystaltears

Child. Her roleplaying is influenced by that, it sux because of that, even if she surely is mostly IG.

As the exemple of someone said about a "real" child, a child should be played as a child.

Bobmuhthol
02-17-2004, 04:45 PM
I'm not the one that deeded Rsen.

I change my previous statement to: Xcalibur is fucking dumb.

Nieninque
02-17-2004, 04:47 PM

I don't even play anymore. I'm just pushing her. Hell, if I was to return, I would probably try to befriend her.

Im not upset, I think it's funny.

Just out of curiosity, when did you last play?

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 04:48 PM
Eh, ok. And I refuse your thought on me.

How about staying on topic, for once?

:whistle:

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 04:49 PM

Im not upset, I think it's funny.

Just out of curiosity, when did you last play?

I hope so, If you're upset and all, I would really think you are not worthy of my time.

Hmm, last time I logged in with one of my character(s) was in november, if my memory serves me correct.

Show us your strength, your discipline and your weight.

DeV
02-17-2004, 04:50 PM

There are still limitations. This isn't a free-form game. There are limitations, but unless you get inside someone's head and direct them from atop their shoulder how are you going to go about setting those limitations based on how you feel they should be. I'd say, take it up with a GM if theres an issue with her roleplaying a child.

Hulkein
02-17-2004, 04:50 PM
I can see how the roleplaying would interfere.. Most people of this time (or even present time) wouldn't listen to a kid talk about anything, let alone ever go hunting with them or voice their opinions about matters in game. Now this isn't a problem if this person roleplaying the kid realizes it and continues with the roleplaying.. it just gets complicated.

Ambrosia
02-17-2004, 04:51 PM

No, it's not. As a Sylvan, the lowest you can set your age at is 30. So therefore in GS, the lowest age you can be is 30. See? Works out great.

Nieninque
02-17-2004, 04:53 PM

Hmm, last time I logged in with one of my character(s) was in november, if my memory serves me correct.

So when did you see me RPing Snowdrop to judge the quality of the RP?

Bobmuhthol
02-17-2004, 04:53 PM
Solution: Said character can say, "I'm really 30 years old but I'm a moron so I say I'm 10, here's a piece of paper, please check the Yes or No box for whether or not you want to talk to me."

Hulkein
02-17-2004, 04:55 PM
:thumbsup:

Xcalibur

So when did you see me RPing Snowdrop to judge the quality of the RP?

Many many times

I had many character logged at once.

Bobmuhthol: heheheheh, I agree with you, for once.

Ambrosia
The ages have NEVER allowed for you to play a child.

On a personal note, I don't WANT to play a roleplaying game that involved roleplaying a child or others who do so. And if Simu allows for people to roleplay children, I won't play anymore. It's bad enough it's a "family game", I don't need to roleplay to the child aspect as well.

She may roleplay a child, I've never seen it, but what I have seen is when she gets into an argument she becomes a hot-tempered bitch with a quick trigger finger... and that isn't your average 10 year old.

Bobmuhthol
02-17-2004, 04:58 PM
If I was ten, and GemStone were real, you can bet your ass I'd be shooting everyone in sight.

That still doesn't excuse the sorry excuse for roleplay that is Snowdrop. Even a ten-year-old wouldn't have that name. If they did, I'd deed them. Good thing you aren't ten, Snowdrop! :thumbsup:

Hulkein
02-17-2004, 04:59 PM
She also uses a longbow, no 10 year old sylvankind elf would be able to use one.

Xcalibur
Age Range Description

20 to 25 1. appears to be extremely young
2. appears to be very young
3. appears to be immature
4. appears to be young and untried
5. appears to be of a tender age
6. appears to be youthful

80-??? 1. appears to be extremely old
2. appears to be decrepit with age
3. appears to be as old as the hills
4. appears to be wizened with age
5. appears to have one foot in the grave

So it's safe to say that the minimum acceptable age for a human is 20. AND AT 20 YOU LOOKS VERY YOUNG.

So, 20 = 20
10 = 6.666 at an human age. Ridiculous.

AMBROSIA SAIDS THIS:

She may roleplay a child, I've never seen it, but what I have seen is when she gets into an argument she becomes a hot-tempered bitch with a quick trigger finger... and that isn't your average 10 year old.

YOU JUST CONFIRMED WHAT I THOUGHT

She is an opportunist player, she is a 6 years old girl WHEN SHE WANTS IT TO BE.

THANKS!

CrystalTears
And you know what? That's another reason I don't think there should be children characters in the game. There are enough immature characters, we don't need to give them an outlet to say "I'm supposed to be an obnoxious brat, I'm 9 years old!" No thanks.

DeV

No, it's not. As a Sylvan, the lowest you can set your age at is 30. So therefore in GS, the lowest age you can be is 30. See? Works out great. See, thats you being all technical and un-fun. Don't set limitations to your imagination and maybe you too could roleplay a child :lol: just kidding but seriously, anything is possible with GS as far as your imagination is concerned. Thats where Im coming from. Nothing makes sense in GS, so why should we worry on the technalities of an age. Its just like not being born but magically appearing in a back alley or any number of things that happen that arent technically possible..

AnticorRifling
02-17-2004, 05:01 PM
Just spank her, ground her and send her to her damn room. If she gives you lip remind her she is a CHILD and then spank her again. If she can't handle taking punishment from an adult she needs to give up on RP'ing a child.

End of story, move along.

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 05:01 PM
Remember when you were 6 years and 2/3.

Try to see you with gear of around 150 pounds, a sword, a bow, and A BAD ASS ATTITUDE.

No thanks, sorry.

No one of that age could withstand the whole stress of anything she does in gs.

Fantaisies going too far:baa:

DeV
02-17-2004, 05:02 PM
nods head in agreement.. with Anticore. A good ole spanking never hurt anyone.

[Edited on 2-17-2004 by DarkelfVold]

Tsa`ah
Originally posted by LordAdredrinAs for being too young? I know a 10 year old that lives in this town that can draw a short bow, and hit targets dead on at over 75 feet away. Its all about what the kids are into. *shrug*

Ah, the comparison comes back.

Was this a compound or recurve bow? Was the draw less than say ... 50-75 lbs?

How armored and fierce was that stationary foam target?

My 7-year-old girl can make 7 out of 10 free throws from the regulated free throw line. Does this mean she is NBA material? Clearly she has a higher percentage than 40 percent of the league.

Were we to take that 10 year old fledgling marksman, drop him on an open field with 70 lbs of leather armor, with that very same bow and tell him to drop a 250 lb man charging at him with an axe ... While wearing chain armor from head to toe... That 10-year-old boy would piss his pants and drop to a fetal position begging for his mother to come rescue him.

Or... he could fire and be accurate. Yet the arrow doesn't have enough force behind it to breach the armor of the charging combatant.

In the same breath; one can't justify the mechanics of a character simply because the mechanics of equipment.

My little girls have to ability to start my cars and turn on the computers. They can sit in either seat as easily as I. Therefore they should be accepted as legal drivers and software engineers, correct?

The mechanics of equipment exist for simplicity. Imagine the uproar of having to wait several days for your armor because it had to be tailored to fit you. Imagine the larger uproar from merchants because halfling sized armor isn't marketable to giantmen.

I'm sorry, but that is a halfling long sword sir. It's the same price as a dagger, because it is a dagger. Would you like to see our normal sized long swords? They cost ten times what I charge halflings.

It boils down to accepted limitations and boundaries.

A person can roll up a character and proceed to claim that character is actually a fetus able to survive outside of the mother's womb. This fetus has the power to destroy you with but a thought.

Everyone else sees Dincknob the gnomish sorcerer who appears very young and small for a gnome.

Judging from Dinknob's CS, we can assert that he is around 75 trainings.

Reality has not place in a RPG. A sense of reality must exist within it however.

[Edited on 2-17-2004 by Tsa`ah]

Bobmuhthol
DarkElfVold, if you want to play a game where imagination is key, go play D&D. This is GemStone. There are specifically set rules. One of them is age: You can't be ten.

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 05:05 PM
DarkElfVold, if you want to play a game where imagination is key, go play D&D. This is GemStone. There are specifically set rules. One of them is age: You can't be ten.

By the way, not 10.

That makes it 33% worse.

Ambrosia
02-17-2004, 05:05 PM
so why should we worry on the technalities of an age.

Because it's put there for a reason.

[Edited on 2-17-2004 by Ambrosia]

DeV
02-17-2004, 05:06 PM
Bob. how the fuck do you play then, cause using my imagination on most of the idiots that roleplay is the only thing I can do at most to overlook the constant ignorance that plagues my screen some times.

Yes, we all know that technically you cant be a child but she is so get over it.

Bobmuhthol
02-17-2004, 05:07 PM
Xcalibur, she's not trying to be 6.666666666 years old. She's trying to be ten. I'm not comparing her character to a human, I'm saying as a Sylph, you can not be ten.

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 05:08 PM
SHE IS NOT, she claims to be.

BUT SHE IS NOT.

The age range set a minimum and the minimum is that: 20 for a human and 30 for a wood elf.

That's the minimum.

You cannot go bellow. NO.

I know Bob, I'm not saying this for that, it's mainly for understanding. She is as mature, developped, in game, as a 6 2/3 years old human girl.

Don't know for you, but i prefer comparaison to what I know.

Bobmuhthol
02-17-2004, 05:09 PM
You can't say what your character is, Vold. I can say I'm AN UBER GM AND I WILL FUCKING SLIT YOUR THROAT FOR LOOKING AT ME, but I'm not, so it doesn't matter what I say.

She says she's ten. She isn't. She's dumb. I win.

And I play by sitting around, hunting, and interacting with people and not interacting with idiots.

Bobmuhthol
The age range for a Sylvankind used to be 100-3000, btw, so that's even worse.

DeV

so why should we worry on the technalities of an age.

Because it's put there for a reason.

[Edited on 2-17-2004 by Ambrosia]
Why worry about it though?

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 05:10 PM
Hahaha, imagine... she'd be like 5 years old...

Age are set for, I think, protecting people to being "abusers" or "abused"

You don't want to see that in a family games, when you send your children to play as it's supposly "safe".

Ambrosia
02-17-2004, 05:12 PM
I'm not worried, however I may try that spanking thing if she ever crosses my path again. That is kind of funny. :whistle:

Bobmuhthol
02-17-2004, 05:12 PM
<<Hahaha, imagine... she'd be like 5 years old...>>

She'd be a two-year-old human.

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 05:14 PM
<<Hahaha, imagine... she'd be like 5 years old...>>

She'd be a two-year-old human.

My bad, you're right.

Snowdrop, you have an opportunity to admit you were wrong about it and changing it to an "acceptable" way.

Take it, don't warclaidhming yourself

CrystalTears
02-17-2004, 05:15 PM
Xcalibur! OMG with the f'ing pictures! Gah!

DeV
02-17-2004, 05:16 PM
You can't say what your character is, Vold. I can say I'm AN UBER GM AND I WILL FUCKING SLIT YOUR THROAT FOR LOOKING AT ME, but I'm not, so it doesn't matter what I say.

She says she's ten. She isn't. She's dumb. I win.

And I play by sitting around, hunting, and interacting with people and not interacting with idiots.

You can say what your character is or how you want your character to be perceived.. does it make it so, not always. Does it make what you say correct, not always, but you can say anything. Technically we cross the line when we create our own little reality that everyone else might not agree with. Thats the dilema and I see where your coming from but I dont see it as being a big deal at all.

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Xcalibur! OMG with the f'ing pictures! Gah!

Is that good? hehe..

Edited: pushing my luck :cool:

CrystalTears
02-17-2004, 05:20 PM
Turning a blind eye to bad character/roleplaying decisions does not help make it go away. In fact it infects and grows into a bigger problem that will then be too late to control. Nip it in the bud now while it's not a problem before it develops into one.

CrystalTears
02-17-2004, 05:21 PM
No it's not! It's driving me nuts! Not as an admin but as a fargin' poster who has to see a fargin' attachment in all your posts! <runs away screaming like a child>

DeV
02-17-2004, 05:22 PM
Turning a blind eye to bad character/roleplaying decisions does not help make it go away. In fact it infects and grows into a bigger problem that will then be too late to control. Nip it in the bud now while it's not a problem before it develops into one. I turn a blind eye to bad roleplaying on a daily basis. Next...

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 05:23 PM
No it's not! It's driving me nuts! Not as an admin but as a fargin' poster who has to see a fargin' attachment in all your posts! <runs away screaming like a child>

An image is worth 1000 words, french expression and very true.

Often it got a link to the idea I said.

Often...

hehe

People, we prooved WITHOUT ANY DOUBTS that she was GUILTY. Go report her now. Her profil is your proof.

CrystalTears
02-17-2004, 05:24 PM
Heh, you and many of the GMs, which is why the roleplaying aspect in the game is in the crapper. I like to think I can salvage some of that somehow. ;)

Bobmuhthol
02-17-2004, 05:24 PM
Okay, from now on, Bobmuhthol is now V'Tull's son. He is a Lesser Spirit in human form, and if you don't agree with me you're wrong because it's what my character is because I said so and I RP him that way!!!

Bobmuhthol
02-17-2004, 05:26 PM
[Script]>profile bob
Name: Lord Bobmuhthol Garredy (LOOKING FOR GROUP)
Profession: Mercenary Level: 24
Race: Giant Gender: Male
Date of Birth: 7/3/5002
Clan: T'Kirem Clan
He appears to have one foot in the grave and very tall.
He has heavy-lidded milky white eyes and pale skin.
He has short, straight steel grey hair with a white streak running through it.
He has a wrinkled face, a pointed nose and deep laugh lines.
He currently has full citizenship in Wehnimer's Landing.
Member of SilverGate Inn
Member of the Warrior Guild
Follower of V'tull
Strongest foe vanquished: a massive abominable snowmonster

Quote: "I am Bobmuhthol, Lesser Spirit, son of V'Tull. I am IMMORTAL."

[Script]>

Ambrosia
Look, if the people who run Gemstone (GM's and such) wanted 10 year olds around, they'd make a fucking playground. Everything is set the way it is for a reason, 10 year olds could not go into combat and if they did, they would die almost EVERY time. Now, how many times has this "ten year old" gone into combat and came back alive...?

A combating 10 year old is not a viable RP because it cant/wont happen, this isn't Dragonball Z, her name isn't Trunks... 10 year olds are not a role play option in GS for a reason.

DeV
Okay, from now on, Bobmuhthol is now V'Tull's son. He is a Lesser Spirit in human form, and if you don't agree with me you're wrong because it's what my character is because I said so and I RP him that way!!! be what ya want.. i could truly give a fuck as long as you have fun doing it and dont get in my way.

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Look, if the people who run Gemstone (GM's and such) wanted 10 year olds around, they'd make a fucking playground. Everything is set the way it is for a reason, 10 year olds could not go into combat and if they did, they would die almost EVERY time. Now, how many times has this "ten year old" gone into combat and came back alive...?

A combating 10 year old is not a viable RP because it cant/wont happen, this isn't Dragonball Z, her name isn't Trunks... 10 year olds are not a role play option in GS for a reason.

Ahhh, if most female players in gemstone were as logical as you, that game would rocks a bit more, my dear food of the gods.

DeV
02-17-2004, 05:32 PM

A combating 10 year old is not a viable RP because it cant/wont happen, this isn't Dragonball Z, her name isn't Trunks... 10 year olds are not a role play option in GS for a reason. Gemstone is like a fucking playground. We got 13 year old's palying the game.. we expect them to behave as mature adults. Look at Bob's character profile.. one foot in the grave and he still hunts right? How? Having one foot in the grave as opposed to roleplaying a child who might have the same strength of that character who has one foot in the grave.

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 05:33 PM
My grand-father is 75, which is very old. He could kick my ass VERY EASILY.

Sean Connery is 74, and I know that around 80% of women would sleep with him.

Try again.

Bobmuhthol
02-17-2004, 05:34 PM
How do I still hunt? Probably because I'm a warrior. Being old doesn't mean I'm not strong and able to hunt.

btw Bob is also not agile, doesn't stance dance or anything, he gets hit more than he hits the creatures and that's because I'm not trying to be quick enough to not get hurt.

Artha
02-17-2004, 05:34 PM

He could beat you at Jeopardy too.

"I'll take The penis mightier than the sword for 500"

Bobmuhthol
02-17-2004, 05:35 PM
Also, you have a shitty name, you shouldn't be complaining about how my character is roleplayed.

Nieninque
02-17-2004, 05:35 PM
Ahhh, if most female players in gemstone were as logical as you, that game would rocks a bit more, my dear food of the gods.

Sexist as well as stupid...classy!

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 05:36 PM

Sexist as well as stupid...classy!

50% of women in game are men.

Sexist? fact

Stupid? I refuse to acknowledge that.

Your character is not 10 years old.

DeV
02-17-2004, 05:36 PM

Try again. Are you proud that your grandfather can kick your ass... thats embarassing. Try again.

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 05:38 PM

Try again. Are you proud that your grandfather can kick your ass... thats embarassing. Try again.

He could kick your ass, Bob's ass, Latrinstorm's ass and most guys from here's asses.

Vets are killers.

Point is, at 70+, you still kick ass if you're in shape and that's true, Alexandre plays his character slowly, not because he "sux" at typing.

Bobmuhthol
02-17-2004, 05:40 PM
wtf is Alexandre?

CrystalTears
02-17-2004, 05:40 PM
50% of women in game are men.

Sexist? fact

Forgive my bluntness...

Where the hell do you come up with this shit?!

Trinitis
02-17-2004, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by LordAdredrinAs for being too young? I know a 10 year old that lives in this town that can draw a short bow, and hit targets dead on at over 75 feet away. Its all about what the kids are into. *shrug*

Ah, the comparison comes back.

Was this a compound or recurve bow? Was the draw less than say ... 50-75 lbs?

How armored and fierce was that stationary foam target?

My 7-year-old girl can make 7 out of 10 free throws from the regulated free throw line. Does this mean she is NBA material? Clearly she has a higher percentage than 40 percent of the league.

Were we to take that 10 year old fledgling marksman, drop him on an open field with 70 lbs of leather armor, with that very same bow and tell him to drop a 250 lb man charging at him with an axe ... While wearing chain armor from head to toe... That 10-year-old boy would piss his pants and drop to a fetal position begging for his mother to come rescue him.

Or... he could fire and be accurate. Yet the arrow doesn't have enough force behind it to breach the armor of the charging combatant.

In the same breath; one can't justify the mechanics of a character simply because the mechanics of equipment.

My little girls have to ability to start my cars and turn on the computers. They can sit in either seat as easily as I. Therefore they should be accepted as legal drivers and software engineers, correct?

The mechanics of equipment exist for simplicity. Imagine the uproar of having to wait several days for your armor because it had to be tailored to fit you. Imagine the larger uproar from merchants because halfling sized armor isn't marketable to giantmen.

I'm sorry, but that is a halfling long sword sir. It's the same price as a dagger, because it is a dagger. Would you like to see our normal sized long swords? They cost ten times what I charge halflings.

It boils down to accepted limitations and boundaries.

A person can roll up a character and proceed to claim that character is actually a fetus able to survive outside of the mother's womb. This fetus has the power to destroy you with but a thought.

Everyone else sees Dincknob the gnomish sorcerer who appears very young and small for a gnome.

Judging from Dinknob's CS, we can assert that he is around 75 trainings.

Reality has not place in a RPG. A sense of reality must exist within it however.

[Edited on 2-17-2004 by Tsa`ah]

And at the same time, speaking from our Real histroy, the Monguls taught their young boys to fire bows at about age 5. And said boys where hunting for their family food at age 7 or 8. Training and teaching with a bow can build strength quickly. And who says she is wearing 70lbs of leather armor? Last I checked, doubles only weigh 12lbs or so..and once worn (IRL anyway..) the weight would be distributed over the body, thus being hardly noticeable.

*shrug* Its all in the eye of the beholder.

-Adredrin

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 05:42 PM
wtf is Alexandre?

Your name

As Tayre saids "alex" as your name, and it's surely a contraction of Alexander. In french, it would be Alexandre.

Crystaltears: from a friend that is the king of pretending to be a female, and since most female lesbian in game are men...

You get the picture.

I forgive your bluntness, by the way.

Artha
02-17-2004, 05:44 PM
And at the same time, speaking from our Real histroy, the Monguls taught their young boys to fire bows at about age 5. And said boys where hunting for their family food at age 7 or 8. Training and teaching with a bow can build strength quickly. And who says she is wearing 70lbs of leather armor? Last I checked, doubles only weigh 12lbs or so..and once worn (IRL anyway..) the weight would be distributed over the body, thus being hardly noticeable.

Firing at rabbits and such is different from firing at trolls, ogres, elementals, and people in armor. She also doesn't use the short composite bow monguls used, she uses a recurved long bow.

DeV
02-17-2004, 05:45 PM

He could kick your ass, Bob's ass, Latrinstorm's ass and most guys from here's asses.

Vets are killers.

Point is, at 70+, you still kick ass if you're in shape and that's true, Alexandre plays his character slowly, not because he "sux" at typing.

at 70+ the only ass you can still kick is other old ass

CrystalTears
Crystaltears: from a friend that is the king of pretending to be a female, and since most female lesbian in game are men...

You're stating assumptions based on what ONE of your friends do? Are you thick or something? Most female lesbians in game are men? Again... where the hell do you come up with this shit? I hate hate hate this fabricated "fact" crap. Cut it out already.

Yeah I'm having a bitchy day and it's going to show in my postings. Consider me just the really opinionated wench today.

Xcalibur
And fire it strong enough that it can pierce an armor of plate/maille and still kill the opponent.

She is wrong, completely.

Bobmuhthol
02-17-2004, 05:48 PM
<<As Tayre saids "alex" as your name, and it's surely a contraction of Alexander. In french, it would be Alexandre. >>

Wrong. Call me Alexander again, I'll stab you.

Snowdrop is still dumb.

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 05:48 PM

You're stating assumptions based on what ONE of your friends do? Are you thick or something? Most female lesbians in game are men? Again... where the hell do you come up with this shit? I hate hate hate this fabricated "fact" crap. Cut it out already.

Yeah I'm having a bitchy day and it's going to show in my postings. Consider me just the really opinionated wench today.

Give me, or him, even, 2-3 months. He would gladly do it (prove it).

I'm secure with my 50% of women in game being man in reality, though.

Darkelf: Nah, sorry. 70 != fat or too skinny in some cases.

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 05:49 PM
<<As Tayre saids "alex" as your name, and it's surely a contraction of Alexander. In french, it would be Alexandre. >>

Wrong. Call me Alexander again, I'll stab you.

Snowdrop is still dumb.

How will you do that?

Snowdrop's player sounds ok, but the character is badly done.

Change that, please.

CrystalTears
02-17-2004, 05:51 PM
You can't prove anything because there is no way that you and your friend are going to be able to confront every single female character in the game and "prove" that half of them are male players. Even if a third of them are male players, probably half of those will lie and say they're female. So shaddap.

So ANYWAY... since I derailed that slightly to the point of nausea... I won't go out of my way in the game to say anything to a character if they're going against the grain with roleplaying decisions. However I'm allowed to complain about them here. And yeah, it WILL hurt me if it continues because it will ruin my fun if people follow the trend and I have to walk into TSC and see fifteen 10-year-olds whining and flailing like idiots.

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 05:53 PM
He can try to prove it, and since I offered it to try to prove you, you must give me the benefice of the doubt. When I'll come and say that 50% was too big and that X% are, I agree, I'll be worth of a "shaddap" :)

I'll ask strayrogue, he seems good on that, too :lol: AND CHADJ, OH MY, THE DREAM TEAM!

That's the point of the thread. If we prove (and we did) that snowdrop is

1) dumb to do it

2) wrong to do it

3) cannot do it

then most people won't do it, and will have ammonitions if it happens.

Hulkein
02-17-2004, 05:56 PM
I'd say around 10-20% women in game at any given time are men. I wouldn't go as far to say 50% though.

DeV
02-17-2004, 05:57 PM
Ill agree with X but I wont say as high as 50%. I think your just pulling that figure out your ass. Its alot less than that.

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 05:58 PM
Ill agree with X but I wont say as high as 50%. I think your just pulling that figure out your ass. Its alot less than that.

Of course it's a number like that, as good statistician that I am. If i was thinking a bit about it...

I'd say around 27% (and a lot more as "locker characters and "zombies"). But that is with some thinking.

HarmNone
02-17-2004, 06:12 PM
There have always been those who would play GemStone as though it was free-form. Like CT, those characters do interfere with my enjoyment of the game. As they became more difficult to avoid, and as OOC behavior increased exponentially, the game lost its magic for me. :(

HarmNone

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 06:14 PM
Knowing your limits is an everyday good deed you can do to yourself.

There's moral in everything i say... ahh being that philosophe:)

Trinitis
02-17-2004, 06:25 PM
X, your posting style is getting more and more annoying man. Not trying to start an argument, I'm just asking that you try a "little" harder when making them. You always say you can do posts in english well when you try..so please?

Thanks

-Adredrin

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 06:27 PM
How about sending me that in u2u?

And I never said that.

No

Hanksbane
02-17-2004, 06:28 PM

How many average Elanthian 10 year olds do you know?

As for RL kids? I know a few 10 year olds with very hot tempers.

Trinitis
02-17-2004, 06:29 PM
How about sending me that in u2u?

And I never said that.

No

Yes, you have said that. I don't really feel like digging through the old posts to find it though. But fine, I'll just avoid any conversations involving you for now on..since you can't form complete statements and thoughts that are able to be followed clearly in the english language.

Hanksbane
She is an opportunist player, she is a 6 years old girl WHEN SHE WANTS IT TO BE.

THANKS!

Shes 10. Stop lowering her age.

THANKS!

Artha
X, you could download an english version of MS Word and type your posts there first. It's an easy, cheap spell/grammar checker.

Ambrosia
02-17-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Hanksbane

Yes but do they walk around firing bows at eachother?

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Artha
X, you could download an english version of MS Word and type your posts there first. It's an easy, cheap spell/grammar checker.

I had a stuff like that, and it completely sucked. It was giving me hard time (changing my words and such). But I'll try your advise.

Hanks: she's 6.6666 in human age. 10 years old as a wood elf can be confusing.

Adredrin: I read again what you said that I said before, I agree, I said that. My knowledge of other languages goes with my mood, too.

Ok, ciao.

Hanksbane
02-17-2004, 06:35 PM

BUT SHE IS NOT.

The age range set a minimum and the minimum is that: 20 for a human and 30 for a wood elf.

That's the minimum.

I know Bob, I'm not saying this for that, it's mainly for understanding. She is as mature, developped, in game, as a 6 2/3 years old human girl.

I play a 20 year old Half Elf. Even if 30 is the lowest I can go. Does that make me the worst roleplayer ever?

And once again, how do you know a 10 year old wood elf is comparible to a 6.66666666666666666666666666666666

year old human? See one? Met one? Study them? Shes 10. Stick with it.

[Edited on 2-17-2004 by Hanksbane because that endless 6.666 thing was annoying]

[Edited on 2-17-2004 by Hanksbane]

Artha
02-17-2004, 06:37 PM
Atleast what you're doing is doable and not stupid.

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 06:37 PM
You're 30 years old, that's all.

You pretend to be 20, but you're 30 if it's the lowest you can go.

You cannot go against the mechanic. You cannot be weighting 500 pounds if it says you're 300 pounds.

Yes, you are if you want, by the way, to be (worst roleplayer ever)

I'm just doing logical math, even if it surely doesn't "works"

If the lowest a human can go is 20 and the lowest a wood elf can go is 30, then she's 2/3 of the age she'd be in human age.

That's about it.

Nieninque
02-17-2004, 06:38 PM

BUT SHE IS NOT.

That's the minimum.

I play a 20 year old Half Elf. Even if 30 is the lowest I can go. Does that make me the worst roleplayer ever?

Xcalibur is the worst debater ever.

He argued so many POV he doesnt know whether he is coming or going...bless!

Nieninque
02-17-2004, 06:39 PM

You cannot go against the mechanic. You cannot be weighting 500 pounds if it says you're 300 pounds.

And yet you said that if I played Snowdrop as 15, that would be acceptable. You talk out the back of your head.

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 06:39 PM
Fact: you are not a 10 years old wood elf, simutronics say you are not.

There's no debate.

Bobmuhthol
02-17-2004, 06:40 PM
Actually it does because it makes you equivalent to a 13-year-old human and not a 20-year-old human.

ie. Your character is as effective in battle as I am in real life.

P.S. That means your character sucks.

Trinitis
02-17-2004, 06:40 PM
It don't help that he can't even aruge his POV in our laguage well.

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 06:41 PM

And yet you said that if I played Snowdrop as 15, that would be acceptable. You talk out the back of your head.

I said it BEFORE having the minimum age for ages.

And whatever I say she can do or not doesn't change the fact she is WRONG in the first place.

Nieninque
02-17-2004, 06:41 PM

There's no debate.

Correct. I am not a 10 year old wood elf. I am a 17y/o human. Wood elfs are mythical creatures sometimes found in fiction or in games.

For someone who hasnt played the game since November, you sure spend a lot of time BSing about it.

Trinitis
02-17-2004, 06:42 PM
Thats because he still plays. He is just too damn "proud" to admit it.

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 06:43 PM
I don't know you, when I say "you", I speak of your character if I'm not including a "'s player"

You are wrong still. Bsing or not, you are wrong.

Nieninque
02-17-2004, 06:46 PM

I said it BEFORE having the minimum age for ages.

How confused you get...Soulpieced, whose post you took as gospel regarding comparitive ages, posted the minimum ages in the 7th or 8th post in this thread. I think it was round about page 6 where you gave me permission :S to play a 15 year old.

Therefore, once more, you are talking rubbish. Carry on....

Hanksbane
02-17-2004, 06:48 PM

Yes but do they walk around firing bows at eachother?

No, but if you put a crossbow in their hands and had them grow up in a world with magic and fierce creatures I bet they would.

Artha
02-17-2004, 06:49 PM
She doesn't use a crossbow, that would be less stupid. Could any of them even begin to pull back a recurved longbow?

Bobmuhthol
02-17-2004, 06:49 PM
<<I think it was round about page 6 where you gave me permission>>

This is page two.

<<Therefore, once more, you are talking rubbish.>>

And you're retarded, so it's a balance.

Artha
02-17-2004, 06:50 PM
This is page two.

This is page 8, bob.

Bobmuhthol
02-17-2004, 06:53 PM
You wish.

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 06:58 PM
I thought the minimum age for a human adventurer was 15 years old.

It's 20, it's even less acceptable to be a teen, then, as you proved with your number + teen sufixe.

Bob and I are on the same side on this, mostly, you cannot even compete, sorry.

I will ask all of my buddies on my aim list to report you based on your profil.

Add Latrinsorm to the winning team and we're invincible!

[Edited on 18-2-04 by Xcalibur]

Bobmuhthol
02-17-2004, 06:59 PM
Screen name plz, X.

Nieninque
02-17-2004, 07:00 PM
I thought the minimum age for a human adventurer was 15 years old.

It's 20, it's even less acceptable to be a teen, then, as you proved with your number + teen sufixe.

Bob and I are on the same side on this, mostly, you cannot even compete, sorry.

I will ask all of my buddies on my aim list to report you based on your profil.

:lol: You are too funny.

Get a life you sad bastard.

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 07:01 PM
I was born with my 2 parents being married. Thanks for caring about my past, by the way.

I'm not sad, rarely in fact.

Bob: what do you mean? Mine's or their's?

Latrinsorm
02-17-2004, 07:02 PM
Add Latrinsorm to the winning team and we're invincible!Remind me to someday read this thread and figure out if I'm still right.

Artha
02-17-2004, 07:03 PM
You wish.

http://free.inkfrog.com/pix/BabyFlesh/Iamrightbobiswrong.JPG

Nieninque
02-17-2004, 07:05 PM
I was born with my 2 parents being married. Thanks for caring about my past, by the way.

I'm not sad, rarely in fact.

Bob: what do you mean? Mine's or their's?

Youre beyond sad. Youre pitiful.

You cant understand a simple question.
You cant constuct a consistent and logical argument.
You are full of shit.
You spend hours posting to a message board about a game you profess to not even play and then you spend the time telling your "friends" to report someone in game who is clearly smarter than you and your cronies and who has shown you up on these boards to be a blithering idiot.
You are pathetic.
Sad was an understatement.
You need to get out more.
Run along...:lol:

Hanksbane
02-17-2004, 07:05 PM
Actually it does because it makes you equivalent to a 13-year-old human and not a 20-year-old human.

ie. Your character is as effective in battle as I am in real life.

P.S. That means your character sucks.

Where do you find the growth comparison between the races? Where is the documentaion? Are all Half-elves completely half and half? Mine isn't.

So lets take the focus off being 10 or 6.66 or 3. I have a 20 year old half elf. Mechanics-wise he is 30, but thats because I can't choose anything lower. I, however, RP him as a 20 year old. Am I wrong? Do I have to RP him as being older than his half-brother who is a human but was born a little before him because of mechanics?

Is that situation more palatable? There will be those of you that agree and those that disagree. Am I to change that just to appease the mechanics of the game? Well, Im not. Thats the way I envisioned him, thats the way hes staying.

Despite what X thinks. There is no right or wrong here. We havent proven that Snowdrop is wrong. There are opinions stating that she is, and there are those that say she isn't. And as far as I know, Snowdrop has indeed talked to the GM's about her RPing a child and they haven't made her change her RP.

Artha
02-17-2004, 07:09 PM
Are all Half-elves completely half and half? Mine isn't.

Yes. Generally, when it gets less than half, they are considered either elven or human. That was posted by Melissa a while ago.

Bobmuhthol
02-17-2004, 07:10 PM
Hanksbane, your argument is far from being the fair one you're implying it to be. You say nobody proved Snowdrop is wrong. Okay, that's true. You know what else? Nobody proved Snowdrop is right, so there goes any usefulness of that statement.

That being said, Snowdrop is indeed wrong.

Edited because I'm dumb.

[Edited on 2-18-2004 by Bobmuhthol]

Bobmuhthol
02-17-2004, 07:11 PM
<<Where do you find the growth comparison between the races? Where is the documentaion? Are all Half-elves completely half and half? Mine isn't.>>

There is no growth comparison. Xcalibur and I happen to know basic math.

See Artha's post on half-elves.

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 07:12 PM
Youre beyond sad. Youre pitiful.

Ok.

You cant understand a simple question.

Depending in what language, in 3 I'm thinking about, yes I can.

You cant constuct a consistent and logical argument.

One? Yes I can, in 3 languages.

You are full of shit.

Only in my "intestines". Mostly in my lower part of it, near the "colon"

You spend hours posting to a message board about a game you profess to not even play and then you spend the time telling your "friends" to report someone in game who is clearly smarter than you and your cronies and who has shown you up on these boards to be a blithering idiot.

I'm doing what my english teacher advise us to do: participe in english discussion, text, words, conversations, whatever BUT PRACTICE!

You are pathetic.

No

Ok

Where?

Run along...

To where?

Hanksbane, the problem is that she EXAGERATES too much. Teen, ok, child? No fucking way.

CrystalTears
02-17-2004, 07:12 PM
GMs won't ever really tell you to change your RP because there really is no way to do that save of deleting or banning your character. They can't make you do or follow anything except to not be OOC. Rather sad I think.

I'm allowed to vent my disapproval of people playing children or animals or whatever. I have that right as much as the people have the right to play it. It's my opinion, and you're right, we haven't proven that it's wrong, simply because a GM won't say "you can't do that". Although they did say they won't do alterations to confirm that ideal.

I will say to Xcalibur though, that telling people to take this matter into the game by reporting her for what has been spoken here, bad roleplaying decision or not, is not anyone call's to make in the game, and thoroughly wrong. Make all your claims and opinions here. Leave them out of the game. Let people enjoy the game for God's sake. Taking it into the game is even more of a problem than anything she could be doing.

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 07:20 PM
That is the funniest thread ever, at least for me. Hehehe..

Crystaltears, if any of my buddies do report her, I think i'll question his intelligence :lol:

Snowdrop's player, stop getting personal just because you're wrong.

I was wrong too, a lot.

You grow that way.

Hanksbane
02-17-2004, 07:21 PM

Hanksbane, the problem is that she EXAGERATES too much. Teen, ok, child? No fucking way.

Okay. So if she were a teen it would be ok? So that in and of itself derails any mechanic argument you had. Hmm, I'll put it in simpler terms.

Because you say its alright to play a teen that means you are willing to forget the mechanics issue of not being able to choose an age between 13-19.

So with that said. Mechanics does not have anything to do with your arguement. Yes?

What we have left, are opinions. Opinions on a fictional race and opinions on how this fictional race can or can not hunt at any given age in a fictional world full of fictional characters and fictional creatures.

Im not gonna say you are right or wrong Xcalibur. You have your opinion. I have mine and Snowdrop has hers. Can we agree on that?

Xcalibur
02-17-2004, 07:24 PM
We have our opinions, I agree.

But her's (hers) are WRONG.

It's not something you can do SINCE MECHANICS ARE set in a way to PREVENT that!

I don't know for teens, since i just saw that elves are older in rolemaster, therefore they would be teen at like 30-40.

Simu is confusing me with their so many changes.

But she is still wrong as there's basic math as bob saids.

Latrinsorm
02-17-2004, 07:25 PM
You are pathetic.
Run along...:lol: Clearly, you haven't seen X's photos in the Pic Post thread. I encourage, no I dare you to compare and see who is "pathetic" or "sad".

Bobmuhthol
02-17-2004, 07:25 PM
<<Im not gonna say you are right or wrong Xcalibur. You have your opinion. I have mine and Snowdrop has hers. Can we agree on that?>>

So first Xcalibur "wasn't right" and now he has an opinion? And you're bitching about him not having a consistent argument?

You just have to win, don't you? Well you lost a long time ago.

Trinitis
02-17-2004, 07:26 PM

I don't know for teens, since i just saw that elves are older in rolemaster, therefore they would be teen at like 30-40.

There is no such thing as a wrong opinion...thats why they are called opinions.

CrystalTears
02-17-2004, 07:29 PM
Opinions are like assholes... everybody's got one.

And some of them stink. :D

Hanksbane
02-17-2004, 07:35 PM

Good grief.

But you just said you wouldnt mind if she played a teen.

join the club

She isnt wrong and niether are you.

And basic math? What? Basic math does not apply to the development of different species. Life is a little more complex than that. Unless you show me an actual study on real elves. But they are fictional so you can't. Point is you don't know how elves, gnomes and the rest, develop over time.

Bobmuhthol
02-17-2004, 07:38 PM
You want the study? Age descriptions. At 30 years old, a Sylvan has the age description of a 20-year-old Human. They age at much different rates, but a 30-year-old and 20-year-old are basically the same in terms of maturity. Then compared a 10-year-old Sylph to a Human. 6 2/3 years old is the maturity equivalent.

Hanksbane
02-17-2004, 07:41 PM
<<Im not gonna say you are right or wrong Xcalibur. You have your opinion. I have mine and Snowdrop has hers. Can we agree on that?>>

So first Xcalibur "wasn't right" and now he has an opinion? And you're bitching about him not having a consistent argument?

You just have to win, don't you? Well you lost a long time ago.

First off. If I implied he was wrong it wasnt intentional. I was trying to defend Snowdrops view as well as mine.

And yes he does have a non-consistant POV.

Do I have to win? I didnt know I was trying to win anything. Everything isnt a game with a winning side and losing side. This is a discussion.

I lost? Does this have to do with your basic math theory?

Latrinsorm
02-17-2004, 07:41 PM
If I had a giant PWNED .bmp, I'd use it here.

edit: damn my slow post velocity, this should go after Bob's post.

[Edited on 2-18-2004 by Latrinsorm]

Artha
02-17-2004, 07:46 PM
If I had a giant PWNED .bmp, I'd use it here.

edit: damn my slow post velocity, this should go after Bob's post.

I will oblige.

http://www.ljuhome.com/images/own3d/owned-beer-cat.JPG

Nieninque
02-17-2004, 07:50 PM
That is the funniest thread ever, at least for me. Hehehe..

Crystaltears, if any of my buddies do report her, I think i'll question his intelligence :lol:

Well you should be questioning yours, because you have obviously asked them.

Snowdrop's player, stop getting personal just because you're wrong.

Im not wrong about anything I have posted in this thread. I have a different point of view to some of the people that have posted here (CrystalTears, Harmnone and a couple of others). I respect their views, though I dont agree with them. Their arguments were sound and well constructed.

I take great pleasure in the fact that my views differ from yours...particularly since you decided to stick your head as far up Bob's backside as you possibly can. Youre a good match.

As for getting personal, this thread was taken from another thread and was completely personal throughout (on your part). You were not challenging a point of view, you were attacking me. Thats fine, I can take it. But dont expect me to sit back and suck it up. I wont.

"you are the worse roleplayer I ever saw"
"Fact is, she is the worse roleplayer ever"
"snowdrop, you are the worse roleplayer from ANY GAMES EVER MADE! "
"She is wrong, completely"
"You are wrong still. Bsing or not, you are wrong"
"I will ask all of my buddies on my aim list to report you based on your profil"
"But her's (hers) are WRONG"

And that has pretty much been the basis of your argument.

I was wrong too, a lot.

You grow that way.

Well thats a start.
Now to start agreeing that others can hold an opinion and you are on the road to being bearable.

Now, I'm tired, your boring and this is pointless. Good night :bye:

Hanksbane
02-17-2004, 08:07 PM
You want the study? Age descriptions. At 30 years old, a Sylvan has the age description of a 20-year-old Human. They age at much different rates, but a 30-year-old and 20-year-old are basically the same in terms of maturity. Then compared a 10-year-old Sylph to a Human. 6 2/3 years old is the maturity equivalent.

So a general guide of age descriptors is your study? I don't buy it. Still doesnt show you what the early development of the different species are. Your argument would work if every species developed in a linear pattern. Growth rates aren't the same for all species, and aren't necessarily linear. Whos to say that a 15 year old human and a 15 year old elf are all that different? Maybe at 30 the elf aging process slows down. When humans hit puberty, the body undergoes a lot of changes. For example, some people grow a lot taller during this time, some don't. Whos to say when this occurs in elves, gnomes, halflings and what not?

You're probably hitting puberty now Bob, come back in a few years and show me that linear aging.

Nakiro
02-17-2004, 08:10 PM
She's 10?

Ha.

She shouldn't be able to wear much more than a backpack and a cloak. Armor is out of the question as no one would even make armor fitting for a 10 year old.

Drawing a longbow would be near impossible too. Nevermind being able to accurately point it at something.

Nakiro
02-17-2004, 08:17 PM
One of the many reasons for an unaccpetance of half elves in either culture has generally been they rate of maturity. They grow too fast for elves and too slowly for humans.

A ten year old sylvan would be like a preschooler.

I'd school that sylvan ';o)

Bobmuhthol
02-17-2004, 08:18 PM
<<You're probably hitting puberty now Bob, come back in a few years and show me that linear aging.>>

I was hitting puberty when I started playing GS.

You're late.

Caramia
02-17-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Maimara
Vonka.

I do n't know if she RP's a 'child' per se, but she RP's a character that's very child-like. And does it VERY well.

Vonka might be young, but she's not played as a child, just as an innocent, and yes perhaps with childlike behavior.

Titania had someone, who was a skilled RPer, hang around her playing a child, which was stupid considering the lowest age at that time was within the 20s. I would just roll my eyes everytime she acted like a baby.

I tried once to pretend I was the child of two good friends, but when some bitch whispered in my ear that it was ridiculous to play a 5-year-old, it ruined any fun we were having.

Xcalibur
02-18-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm

You are pathetic.
Run along...:lol: Clearly, you haven't seen X's photos in the Pic Post thread. I encourage, no I dare you to compare and see who is "pathetic" or "sad".

I KNOW I'M UGLY YOU SAID IT WITH THAT JACK BLACK COMPARAISON!!! boooh

With that being said, Snowdrop's player, we apologize you and offer you our sympathy.

You can change now or remain in the darkness for ALL ETERNITY

Nieninque
02-18-2004, 10:27 AM

With that being said, Snowdrop's player, we apologize you and offer you our sympathy.

Apology accepted, though I dont need sympathy. :)

You can change now or remain in the darkness for ALL ETERNITY

I'll have the darkness please ;)

Xcalibur
02-18-2004, 10:31 AM
Guess you don't say it like that in english

We pardon you

We accept your apology

That kind

Is snowdrop still pretending to be a 10 years old wood elf?

CrystalTears
02-18-2004, 10:34 AM
What's this "we" stuff? You're the one who was giving her the hardest time. Say "I" forgive you and leave the "we" out of it. :P

Nieninque
02-18-2004, 10:38 AM
We accept your apology

I'm confused...did I apologise for something?
:?:

Xcalibur
02-18-2004, 10:41 AM
Heheheheh, nah, I was not giving her an hard time at all... No way, I'm too pacifist!

We.. we... "we" could be all the boys, or us of the winning team against her (bob, latrin and I), or all the people from north america, or..

I should define my we, though, you're right.

Next time!

Tsa`ah
02-18-2004, 10:43 AM

We accept your apology

X speaks monkey french.

He doesn't understand half of what he says and nothing of what he posts.

You didn't miss anything, X did.

Hanksbane
02-18-2004, 10:51 AM
Winning team? :shrug:

Xcalibur
02-18-2004, 11:10 AM

We accept your apology

X speaks monkey french.

He doesn't understand half of what he says and nothing of what he posts.

You didn't miss anything, X did.

Sorry, I don't understand you :lol:

Hanksbane: yes, never heard of winning teams? They rocks.

Hanksbane
02-18-2004, 11:27 AM
Yes I have heard of winning teams, and yes they do rock. However, there are no winning teams in this thread.

Galleazzo
02-18-2004, 11:33 AM
There are still limitations. This isn't a free-form game.

Man, that's one of the "last refuges of the unclear" tag lines. Yeah, it isn't free-form; Klingons and Godzillas don't exist in Gemstone. But children do. We see items based around them and NPC kids all the time. Break the law and it's a small child who screams or a mother who yanks one away.

Just because you don't want someone to play something doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

Try to see you with gear of around 150 pounds, a sword, a bow, and A BAD ASS ATTITUDE.

I'd like to see YOU tote 150 lbs of gear and do much of anything at all, let alone fight, guy. I'll give you a hint. Take the nearest backpack and stuff it with books. Put on a chainmail hauberk and a coif. Wear army boots. Grab a broadsword and the biggest shield you can. Dangle a gallon jug of water off your belt. See if you can run around the block. (See if you can WALK around the block without blowing hard.) Congratulations: you're humping about 90 lbs.

Look, if the people who run Gemstone (GM's and such) wanted 10 year olds around, they'd make a fucking playground.

They did. It's called the Solhaven petting zoo. Next?

Galleazzo
02-18-2004, 11:39 AM

There's no debate.

Then why the fuck are you still talking? You made what, about seven hundred posts saying "Mechanics say no! Mechanics say no! Mechanics say no! Mechanics say no! Mechanics say no! Mechanics say no!"

Give it a fucking rest unless you got something new to say.

And never mind that. I expect each and every one of you to back realism up in every way in Gemstone, since you're fired up about realism realism realism here.

(Which ain't realistic. There was a 13 year old girl archer on her OLYMPIC archery team Olympiad before last, and I'm pissed that I didn't remember it before now.)

Hanksbane
02-18-2004, 11:39 AM
You forgot to mention all the toys sold. :up:

Galleazzo
02-18-2004, 11:50 AM
You forgot to mention all the toys sold. :up:
Damn, you're right, my bad. Or the baby blankets. Or the baby rattles. Or the lollipops.

Hanksbane
02-18-2004, 11:52 AM
Now now, lollipops arent just for kids.

:glances over at Kasia:

:twitch:

crazymage
02-18-2004, 11:58 AM
Is snowdrop single? bobs looking for a wife.

X just likes seeing himself post.

Nieninque
02-18-2004, 12:03 PM
She's fed up...not hard up

:lol:

Bobmuhthol
02-18-2004, 12:10 PM
:help::help::help:

Sergey's penis is missing, btw.

crazymage
02-18-2004, 12:34 PM
Dont you have school bob

Bobmuhthol
02-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Not until Monday.

Xcalibur
02-18-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by crazymage

Do you know me?

MECHANICS ARE NEVER WRONG!

Hanksbane
02-18-2004, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by crazymage

Do you know me?

MECHANICS ARE NEVER WRONG!

This is using my halfling character.

You put a longsword in your wrist sheath.

Thats some big arse wrist sheath I've got Fits a longsword in it Especially with a halfling wearing it.

So in this case....

MECHANICS FOR THAT ARE WRONG!

Bobmuhthol
02-18-2004, 03:20 PM
<<So in this case....

MECHANICS FOR THAT ARE WRONG!>>

Then you admit to abusing mechanics.

Way to cheat.

Hanksbane
02-18-2004, 03:23 PM
<<So in this case....

MECHANICS FOR THAT ARE WRONG!>>

Then you admit to abusing mechanics.

Way to cheat.

No you halfwit, I did that to prove that Mechanics are wrong at times. Get a clue.

Bobmuhthol
02-18-2004, 03:25 PM
Yes, and you're going along with wrong mechanics, THEREFORE ABUSING THEM OMG.