PDA

View Full Version : Alteration formula

Incurable
03-17-2009, 09:26 AM
O.K. I apologize for being a Noob on the subject of alterations. The only reason I'm posting about it now is that someone mentioned to me in passing that alters have a formula that Merchants adhered to. I did some searching of the forums and didn't come up with any satisfactorily informative posts on alteration formulas. Also, having looked through the "for sale" section I have seen a ton of alters that don't, to me at least, appear to be formulated in length or type.

So my questions follow:

1.) Is there an SHOW alteration formula, guideline, or template that most people follow when creating their ideas?

2.) What are some specific things to stay away from in alters?
(I have heard not to put, emotions, YOU, or non GS things in it)

3.) Someone mentioned item description alters followed something like,
(__________/___________/__________), might someone please clarify?

4.) Is there anything that you can think of, pertaining to alters/ing, that might be educational, or at least informative, for a noob such as myself?

Thank you very much for your willingness to share your accumulated knowledge with me.

thefarmer
03-17-2009, 09:34 AM
>alter
Alterations - General
1) Where to Start
2) Base Descriptions (the 15/15/15 rule)
3) Long Descriptions (seen all the time and when TAPPED)
4) Show (seen when you SHOW it or LOOK at it)
5) Additional Tips

Alterations - Guidelines
6) Scripted Items
7) Risque Clothing
8) Out of Genre
9) Adornments
10) Names and Lettering
11) Images
12) Magical Properties
13) Metals and Materials
14) Essence
15) Subjective Adjectives
16) Armor
17) Weapons
18) Books
19) Instruments
20) Pockets and Containers
21) Professions and Races
22) Official Titles

Feature Alterations - Guidelines
23) Hair Style
24) Hair Texture
25) Hair Color
26) Hair Quirks
27) Eye Characteristics
28) Eye Color
29) Complexion
30) Height
31) Body
32) Face
33) Nose
34) Distinguishing Marks
35) Other Unique Features

Wing Alterations -- Guidelines
36) Wing Color
37) Wing Size
38) Wing Shape
39) Texture and Compositions
40) Decoration and Adornment
41) Wing Mutilation
>

The Ponzzz
03-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Nilandia also has a random alter generator (http://www.nilandia.com/generator/generator.htm) on her site. While you might not find what you're looking for, it does help bring ideas to mind.

Rolton-Sammich
03-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Nilandia also has a random alter generator (http://www.nilandia.com/generator/generator.htm) on her site. While you might not find what you're looking for, it does help bring ideas to mind.

Yah, the generator is fun, though the edged weapons could use some work...

a tempered vaalorn claidhmore with a complex weave of autumnal hued silk bound around the hilt
a glistening bronze backsword with a complex weave of chestnut hued silk bound around the hilt
a left-handed rolaren bastard sword with a complex weave of emerald hued silk bound around the hilt
a heavy ora flail with a complex weave of emerald hued silk bound around the hilt
a polished ora katana with a complex weave of silver spidersilk bound around the hilt
a gilded golvern katana with a complex weave of silver spidersilk bound around the hilt
a glimmering glaes backsword with a complex weave of chestnut hued silk bound around the hilt
a heavy iron war mattock with a complex weave of ruby hued silk bound around the hilt
a tempered iron maul with a complex weave of emerald hued silk bound around the hilt

(I'm sensing a pattern here)

iJin
03-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Stay away from deathly runs that pulsate a deep mournbloom-hued essence that seems to take away your life at the very thought of it.

And anything with bunnies.

ViridianAsp
03-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Stay away from deathly runs that pulsate a deep mournbloom-hued essence that seems to take away your life at the very thought of it.

Psh, save for those empath eating bunnies.. Which, I have seen in game. My rogue pretty much is scared of bunnies.

ElvenFury
03-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Oh, please. Jin used to run her empath around looking like a butcher. She had the bloody apron, meat clever, and all that crap.

...Then she grew into a snob. :-P

DCSL
03-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Mmm, theme outfits.

iJin
03-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Oh, please. Jin used to run her empath around looking like a butcher. She had the bloody apron, meat clever, and all that crap.

...Then she grew into a snob. :-P

LOL.

Oh my god. That was like, when she was train 7. Or something close to that. Hahahaahahh. Most hilarious times ever. Oh how I miss those early levels and my old buddies. :(

Izzy
03-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Stay away from deathly runs...
I thought this would be pretty obvious.

ViridianAsp
03-17-2009, 01:23 PM
I thought this would be pretty obvious.

Not when people still use them....

Also...No gem-dusted or encrusted...things, it just looks tacky. How do I know? I used to have tons of ruby-dusted shit in my early days of GS...

THAT'S RIGHT, I'm as guilty as anyone else.

Kitsun
03-17-2009, 01:23 PM

Pfft! Do what makes you happy!

No one else has to stare at your crap whenever you're logged in but you.

Kitsun
03-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Not when people still use them....

Also...No gem-dusted or encrusted...things, it just looks tacky. How do I know? I used to have tons of ruby-dusted shit in my early days of GS...

THAT'S RIGHT, I'm as guilty as anyone else.

Note that she said deathly RUNS... like crapping yourself to death.

ViridianAsp
03-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Note that she said deathly RUNS... like crapping yourself to death.

LOL, I thought it was runes..MY BAD. Actually...that just makes my previous post that more hilarious...when I think about it.

iJin
03-17-2009, 01:27 PM
LOL.

fuck, a typo. Hahahha. Kitsun shut up. <3 haha