PDA

View Full Version : awesome cover letter

Keller
03-11-2009, 11:16 AM
UNEMPLOYED J.D. CANDIDATE -- COVER LETTER

Normally, in my cover letters, I list my various qualifications with the hope that my record will impress the reader. However, in such a competitive market, my top 15% rank, managing editor position on my journal, and participation in moot court are not as likely to stand out. Even my experience teaching in [Redacted] for two years is incapable of impressing current hiring committees. Moreover, my immodest self-proclamations regarding my superior abilities are unlikely to convince you of anything more than the extent of my vanity. Thus, instead of providing you with a generic cover letter that will be filed away with hundreds of its kind, I have chosen to provide you with an outside perspective of my abilities.

Your colleagues from other competitive firms have had a great deal to say about me; therefore, I would like to share with you some of their opinions. Alston & Bird writes, "your qualifications are impressive." Remarkably, Blank Rome makes an identical assertion. McKee Nelson also express this view but do not limit its opinion to my qualifications. Rather, it considers my "credentials and qualifications" to be "impressive." Chadbourne & Parke takes a different focus, indicating that my "background is impressive."

Other firms convey similar opinions with a different focal point. Epstein, Becker & Green is "impressed" with "my credentials." According to King & Spalding, my "resume is impressive." Furthermore, Debevoise & Plimpton feels slightly more strongly, stating that they were "most impressed" with my resume. Uniquely commenting on both my background and credentials, Dow Lohnes indicates that they "were quite impressed." Cleverly using a more concise adjective-noun wording, Holland & Knight writes that I have an "impressive background."

Clearly, there is a consensus among many firms that I am "impressive." Although there is some disagreement about whether my background, credentials, qualifications, resume, or a combination of these is impressive, it is obvious that I am impressive on some level. Furthermore, while these accolades were all included in rejection letters, the opinions still hold true and are strong measures of my value as a candidate in your colleagues' and competitors' eyes. Thus, I am undoubtedly qualified for a position in your litigation department.

Finally, if I do not receive an offer for employment, many firms will be quite disappointed. Dozens of firms have indicated a desire for my "success" in the "future" with a "challenging" or "rewarding" position "somewhere else," and I do not intend to upset these firms by failing. Therefore, I am very motivated to find a position and to impress my employer with my dedication and superior performance.

I have attached my impressive resume and transcript for your review, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,
Unemployed J.D. Candidate

http://abovethelaw.com/2009/03/now_this_is_a_cover_letter.php#more

Clove
03-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Priceless.

diethx
03-11-2009, 08:32 PM
That's very cool, hehe.

BriarFox
03-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Love the letter; just want to know if he got the job.

Allereli
03-11-2009, 08:45 PM
He(?) applied to at least two firms in my building

Hulkein
03-11-2009, 08:49 PM
That is awesome.

Hulkein
03-11-2009, 09:01 PM
By the way, that letter hits home for me. My options are dwindling. I'm hoping to get hired by the small firm I'm a clerk at now, if not then I'll try to crawl back to the DA's office where I interned, but most of all I want to join the FBI but they are unpredictable on if they will take you with a JD right out of school or if they want you to work for a year or two.

I seriously could end up being a State Trooper for a couple of years before joining the FBI if those three don't work out.

Keller
03-11-2009, 10:02 PM
By the way, that letter hits home for me. My options are dwindling. I'm hoping to get hired by the small firm I'm a clerk at now, if not then I'll try to crawl back to the DA's office where I interned, but most of all I want to join the FBI but they are unpredictable on if they will take you with a JD right out of school or if they want you to work for a year or two.

I seriously could end up being a State Trooper for a couple of years before joining the FBI if those three don't work out.

Ya. It's not a great time to be graduating from anything.

I'm considering applying for the NYU Tax LLM program as a one year insurance program in case I get fired. There is no chance a first year attorney w/o bankruptcy experience gets a job in this economy. A buddy of mine from USC was an editor on the law review, order of the coif, and still unemployed after Thelen imploded and he lost his job.

Scary times.

Stretch
03-11-2009, 10:21 PM
No kidding...

I decided to put off applying for grad school purely because at this point I don't know if it's a guarantee that getting an MBA (even at a top tier institution) will necessarily pay off anymore.

Then again, it is far from impossible that my company folds along with several other large banks in the not-too-distant future, at which point I will be a year removed from going to school again AND unemployed.

EDIT: On topic, that letter reeks of awesomeness.

Skeeter
03-11-2009, 11:33 PM
I liked the letter but I would never hire that person for a series position.

Likely I would just pass the letter around to all my friends while moving his resume to the "no" pile.

DeV
03-11-2009, 11:51 PM
I liked the letter but I would never hire that person for a series position.Same. This is either a joke or desperation at its best and worst.

Avaya
03-11-2009, 11:51 PM
If nothing else that letter is going to make that person stand out from the rest. I've been thinking of changing my cover letter frankly. I don't think I'll go quite that bold, but something a little more creative would be a good idea I think.

Allereli
03-11-2009, 11:57 PM
I don't think I'll go quite that bold, but something a little more creative would be a good idea I think.

it's not

EasternBrand
03-12-2009, 12:06 AM

I'm considering applying for the NYU Tax LLM program as a one year insurance program in case I get fired.

You've got to imagine every laid-off transactional lawyer in New York has had the same thought. It's going to be a lot tougher this time around. Same reason that clerkships are going to be way harder to come by this year for rising 3Ls; they'll have to compete with the unemployed litigators.

For these reasons, if my current plan doesn't work out, I intent to herald the return of vaudeville and tour the country with my comedy-musical stylings.

Of course, since I have neither area covered personally, I will need people versed in both comedy and music...

Daniel
03-12-2009, 09:05 AM
My Department is hiring.

http://careers.state.gov/ap-jobs/index.html

Hulkein
03-12-2009, 10:59 AM

I'm considering applying for the NYU Tax LLM program as a one year insurance program in case I get fired. There is no chance a first year attorney w/o bankruptcy experience gets a job in this economy. A buddy of mine from USC was an editor on the law review, order of the coif, and still unemployed after Thelen imploded and he lost his job.

Scary times.

I was wondering about your situation. Glad you are still employed.

Keller
03-12-2009, 11:42 AM
I was wondering about your situation. Glad you are still employed.

Right now we're swamped with work.

But 50% of the work is structuring debt workouts/modifications.

The one big project I am working on outside of the debt workout world is a real estate venture between the government and a private party. The government is footing the bill.

I'm worried what it will look like this summer once we've sweated through the debt workouts. That's what I'm afraid of.

Warriorbird
03-12-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm glad that a lot of my legal focus is towards personal entrepreneurialism and Eastern Europe.