PDA

View Full Version : Official: Mestys on Spikethorn Factors

Fallen
03-04-2009, 09:13 AM
>Would a GM please tell us if ranger spell ranks play a role in determining the outcome of spike thorn? If so, what effect do they have and is the effect linear or are there diminishing returns? -Droit

I already mentioned it to Droit in reply to his email, but I thought it would be helpful to share with the rest of the class.

Ranger spell ranks do indeed factor into Spike Thorn's resolution. The bonus from spell ranks does not have diminishing returns, and there is no cap. I've updated the spell documentation to mention the factor.

-M.

Fallen
03-04-2009, 09:16 AM
He posted this after Emeradan came in and shit on people trying to request that M personally answer the question. I know he is trying to be less of a raging douche but he is somewhat failing.

----
>>Would a GM please tell us if ranger spell ranks play a role in determining the outcome of spike thorn?

Description on the website doesn't mention spell ranks, and I don't have any other information to suggest that they do play a role in the spell. - Emeradan

----
>>Regardless, would you mind forwarding this to the ranger guru? -- Droit

I'm sure he'll read it when he finds the time to visit the Forums. I try to limit myself to forwarding bug-related items to other staff members, and cannot forward every single posted question to every staff member. Sorry. - Emeradan

Fallen
03-04-2009, 09:19 AM
I'm sure he'll read it when he finds the time to visit the Forums. I try to limit myself to forwarding bug-related items to other staff members, and cannot forward every single posted question to every staff member. Sorry. - Emeradan

For those people who don't understand why posters get upset with Emeradan, read this response carefully. The underlying antagonism in this post, along with his dismissal of Droit's request as being beneath him in terms of effort is just piss poor phrasing. I don't think he is stupid enough to not know how he is coming off as, I think he does it intentionally and I don't know why.

NocturnalRob
03-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Well, to be fair, it's EXCEEDINGLY difficult to forward a request...

He's a self-aggrandizing bag o' douche.

Kitsun
03-04-2009, 10:03 AM
To be fair, there's some fucking stupid people asking really retarded questions all the time. It would really help alleviate the issue if somewhere had/kept updated mechanical info and GM posts. Just as an example, every month or so someone pops up claiming encumberance, certain rooms or distance affects Familiar Gate when Naos or someone has posted all of the relevant factors several times. There's a subset of the playerbase that wants GM confirmation on completely assinine questions.

Tolwynn
03-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Just imagine if the official forums were searchable or the information on the website was correct and up to date. They could probably eliminate a lot of those questions with either, if they could be troubled to do so.

Asha
03-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Why so secret about everything. Why ignore the people asking you something on the forum or mask it with vague responses.
If it's a secret say so. If you dont know, say fucking so.

im sick of posting anything to any staff on the forums

Suppa Hobbit Mage
03-04-2009, 10:15 AM
I don't get why anything is a secret (regards mechanics), myself.

Fallen
03-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Most GMs who look to respond likely don't have the answer to the question, nor the permission or skill to poke around in the spell to gain an answer.

fallenSaint
03-04-2009, 11:07 AM
I don't get why anything is a secret (regards mechanics), myself.

Aww but you know it feels so good to know a secret that no one gets to know about.

droit
03-04-2009, 12:52 PM
I don't really have much to add that hasn't been said, except that I must have caught Mestys at just the right time. He responded to my email within the hour with a short, clear and helpful response to a direct question. I'd say the manner of his response (if not the timing) is characteristic; it makes me miss the time when he was an active ranger guru.

Stay tuned for his response to similar questions regarding spell ranks and 610 and 615. This time, I resorted straight to email.

Fallen
03-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Mestys is awesome for explaining mechanics when the mood strikes him. He has given us a lot of information in the past.

Danical
03-04-2009, 01:48 PM
If M had more hours in a day I'm sure he'd oblige but as it is, he's probably waist deep in shit and simply can't be bothered with looking deep within the fucking mire that is the GSL code for some spells.

Also, Emeradan and I have a mutual dislike for each other; I fear it will bar me from becoming a GM.

With that said, I officially announce my candidacy for GM in late Q3.

droit
03-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Huzzah!

NocturnalRob
03-04-2009, 01:51 PM
L337 weapons for all!!!

waywardgs
03-04-2009, 02:04 PM
If M had more hours in a day I'm sure he'd oblige but as it is, he's probably waist deep in shit and simply can't be bothered with looking deep within the fucking mire that is the GSL code for some spells.

Also, Emeradan and I have a mutual dislike for each other; I fear it will bar me from becoming a GM.

Gnimble for President!

Rimalon
03-04-2009, 02:31 PM

Can we have a contest to determine your GM name?

I wish GM Twazzer would fly, but probably not.

Soulpieced
03-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Seriously, people can come here to the PC and probably find an answer to anything on mechanics. I know I've posted all the messaging for anchoring 1020, and there's plenty of other profession/class/mechanics/etc. stuff here on PC. That's why I made the switch.

Players' Corner FTMFW.

Tea & Strumpets
03-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Mestys is awesome for explaining mechanics when the mood strikes him. He has given us a lot of information in the past.

Yeah, I don't think anyone has any complaints about Mestys.

thefarmer
03-04-2009, 04:55 PM
You missed my posted comment (that Emeradan ignored) about the website being wrong a lot.

Fallen
03-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I don't think anyone has any complaints about Mestys.

I sure do. He is completely absent from the boards more often than not.

droit
03-04-2009, 05:20 PM
That's my complaint too. He's the guru for several professions and also a lead dev coder. He's spread way too thin to be a useful guru.

Danical
03-04-2009, 05:26 PM
A useful forum responding guru. He's a fantastic coder, however.

Tea & Strumpets
03-04-2009, 05:27 PM
I sure do. He is completely absent from the boards more often than not.

How many other GM's answer a mechanics question and immediately add it to the website description as well (so it's available even to the nerds that don't read the message boards)?

Fallen
03-04-2009, 05:36 PM
How many other GM's answer a mechanics question and immediately add it to the website description as well (so it's available even to the nerds that don't read the message boards)?

Considering about 50 questions went unanswered before this point, I would say he ranks up there at about average looking at the past 6 months to a year. As Droit said, he happened to catch him at just the right time it appears.

droit
03-05-2009, 07:56 PM
And Mestys has once again followed through with some good info regarding other ranger spells. From our email exchange:

Since I had such great success with my 616 question, I might as well ask about the others. Do ranger spell ranks also factor into 610 and 615? Again, the website does not list spell ranks in the spell descriptions.

Droit/Max
----------
Ranger spell ranks do not factor into Tangleweed, but they do affect the initial success of Call Swarm. I've updated the spell description for the latter to mention success factors.

-M.

Not only that, he updated the play.net website to include all the success factors for 615:

Success of the spell is based on the ranger's relative level, Discipline and Influence stat bonuses, and dedication to the Ranger spell circle.

Fallen
03-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Nice work, Droit.