PDA

View Full Version : game_messages*.txt

pmauddib
03-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Do they have to keep an archive of every single action ever done by your characters? Can I delete them, or over write them occasionally with zero length files? right now I have almost 2 gigs of these message files, and I think that's rather nuts. especially when I sync the data to my laptop to play out of the house and not screw up my psinet data.

Morrff
03-02-2009, 04:35 PM
You can delete them. I have and it just makes a new file with new data when you login

waywardgs
03-02-2009, 05:11 PM
You have 2 GIGS of n, s, e, w, attack? Wow.

pmauddib
03-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Most of the shit is redundant XML with the status of the character, over and over and over, and any upload download of settings due to running scripts and changing highlights in stormfront. Its like a log of all communications of any type between psinet and simu...... seems like something you would see in a beta test or a trouble log, not day to day operations.

Morrff
03-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Most of the shit is redundant XML with the status of the character, over and over and over, and any upload download of settings due to running scripts and changing highlights in stormfront. Its like a log of all communications of any type between psinet and simu...... seems like something you would see in a beta test or a trouble log, not day to day operations.

I think that's probably why Brian did it that way, so in case of errors. He made sure everyone had the stream backed up. Making his job of fixing the situation a lot easier, especially when dealing with people who don't know what's what. That's my guess.

Celephais
03-02-2009, 06:24 PM
It would be trivial for him to make it a tailing log, of some reasonable size so he'd always have troubleshooting info, but wouldn't flood a typical users hard drive.

Either way in the hands of users his application shouldn't do that (at least not without consent).

pmauddib
03-02-2009, 06:31 PM
wish I had a way of turning it off, I share a psinet install across 3 computer via a server. so that we can play from where ever and not worry about keys and such. I will just set up a script to delete the files every weekend or something. I wonder what happens to people who have older computers, how slow does it make them go, the files must be insanely fragmented, and never cleaned. God forbid someone run on an older fat32 formatted drive and hit the 2gig file limit. It would be pretty hard to find out that it was becuase of a file limit issue, specially for a less technically adept user.

DaCapn
03-02-2009, 09:50 PM
FAT32 has a max file size of 4GB. Arguably, such a person is asking for it anyway. That being said, there's no need for an endless log of the stream.

LeDru
03-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Where is this is stored on my computer? In the psinet folder? I'd like to clean mine up too.

JamusPsi
05-12-2009, 11:22 AM
I SWEAR this is going away soon. It IS insane, and inexcusable.

Allereli
05-12-2009, 11:41 AM
On the other hand, it saved Belnia's ass during the skank fiasco

BigWorm
05-12-2009, 06:24 PM
I SWEAR this is going away soon. It IS insane, and inexcusable.

lrn2ringbuffer, bro

JamusPsi
05-12-2009, 09:12 PM
lrn2ringbuffer, bro

I KNOW. I keep putting it on my list and then getting distracted with other stuff. It'll be fixed next version.