PDA

View Full Version : * Heros Journey just bit the dust!

Deathravin
03-01-2009, 04:16 PM
oh well.

Alfster
03-01-2009, 04:20 PM
The game died years ago.

RichardCranium
03-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Welcome to five years ago.

Deathravin
03-01-2009, 05:08 PM
You're not dead til you're dead...

it was limping along with a 10 point head bleeder and 5 points of health for a long time. Thank god HJ had staunching. But mana finally ran out and it is dead. Along with my hopes of playing it :(

aesir
03-01-2009, 05:25 PM
It's not that big a loss imho. It would've been one of those grind MMOs, where it takes a better part of a decade to make it to cap. Personally, I prefer not to play something like that.

Asha
03-01-2009, 06:29 PM
It's not that big a loss imho. It would've been one of those grind MMOs, where it takes a better part of a decade to make it to cap. Personally, I prefer not to play something like that.

rofl.

Warriorbird
03-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Sadly it didn't 'live' to beat Duke Nukem Forever and Darkfall.

RichardCranium
03-01-2009, 06:57 PM
Sadly it didn't 'live' to beat Duke Nukem Forever and Darkfall.

I've got balls of steel.

Warriorbird
03-01-2009, 06:59 PM
...and wares of vapor!

Kuyuk
03-01-2009, 10:51 PM
it's been confirmed that it's no longer in production?

Deathravin
03-01-2009, 11:06 PM
They laid off the whole on-site staff for HJ.

Ignot
03-01-2009, 11:43 PM
It's dead?? But it was going to have REAL clouds remember?? REAL CLOUDS!

Methais
03-01-2009, 11:49 PM
But it was going to have REAL clouds remember?? REAL CLOUDS!

http://www.bugsville.org/bugsmedia/_MISC/holy_shit.jpg

Warriorbird
03-02-2009, 12:28 AM
http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p397/jgza7/RealClouds.jpg

Not that hard to get clouds.

Nieninque
03-02-2009, 03:08 AM
Video Copilot
Awesomeness

ViridianAsp
03-02-2009, 04:11 AM
oh well.

Welcome to four years ago, buddy.

Solkern
03-03-2009, 02:37 AM
Has anyone actually played it?

Stry
03-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Next up...

*Simutronics just bit the dust.

Stry
03-03-2009, 09:09 PM
or better yet...

*The deathcry of Simutronics echoes in your mind.

You suddenly feel the lifeforce ripped from your body as the pointless hours of typing away away at your sticky keyboard, running scripts and color-coding words flash before your mind. Your 267 deeds are torn from your non-existant body and your masterfully critpadded 7x full plate shatters into the cyberdust from whence it came.

There is a silent and chilling calm followed by the sense that a proverbial chain has been removed from your wrists. You suddenly realize that you are free from your $40 a month chain and that your life can now go on. (probably to be sold again to Blizzard ) lol

;)

I love Gemstone, but the reality is that Simutronics upper management is letting it die. Probably intentionally. This is likely so they can focus on developing gaming engines and interfaces to sell off to other companies rather than focus on their own customer satisfaction and customer service.

They can make more money going that direction. At this rate another 10 years and the only place we will see Simutronic's name is.....wait, we won't.

Warriorbird
03-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Simutronics will remain as long as Whatley can draw renewal income out and fool people into writing things he can sell for cheap.

Celephais
03-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Simu did away with going Demonic... clearly foresight of this.

We'll just have to deal with a little deaths sting.

nub
03-03-2009, 09:17 PM
who is whatley, how do people know about him

Warriorbird
03-03-2009, 09:18 PM
He's the owner of Simu. We know about him because we're the PC. We know everything (including the wrong stuff.)

nub
03-03-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm scared

Tea & Strumpets
03-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Welcome to four years ago, buddy.

Rephrased for video clip.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/104213

ZeP
03-04-2009, 12:14 AM
When they ran that last GM auction for Ebon's they sold out and people were bitching that they started selling the tickets early. It was like 100 tickets at $100 each. They could easily do that more often to generate revenue, they could sell items for cash (either obviously as policy or quietly posing as players), and then there are the subscriptions. And supposedly DR has a higher population although I don't know if they run pay events. I can't imagine the games cost much to upkeep.

I just find it hard to believe anything that can easily make money will fold. They could announce some ticketed event right now and make thousands.

* I'm not suggesting they make RL cash equal even more benefits but the point is they can easily do it.

aesir
03-04-2009, 03:39 PM
DR is their main cash cow. I think they actually have on-site staff dedicated to DR. DR sales are actually more profitable then GS sales. When I first started selling silvers/gear for GS I found the market a bit lackluster relative to the teeming DR market.

DR requires a great deal of time sync (far more then GS ... if thats even possible) to get really awesome. Further, their items are based upon player skill. Meaning the best weapon currently in the game which is a Kertig Greatsword which is well balanced, is very strong at 50/50, does bone crushing crush/slice and heavy puncture, and weighs a smidgen over 20 stones was forged by a player... who I believe is Grims or some other very old barbarian thats been playing the game forever.

Likewise, the best armor in the game a set of Kertig Chain shirt + greaves + gauntlets + leggings and coif which all weighs in at an astonishing 30 stones and protects like plate armor was also created by a player.

So, anyhow, selling is hot in the market because good items are hard to come by. Plus, theres a greater variation in the types of things you can sell in DR. For instance, in DR you can create ships that are player run and player owned and which are THE most expensive items in the game (and also really freakin cool... seeing how you can travel to anywhere in the game on them).

Ben 2.0
03-09-2009, 07:35 PM
DR is their main cash cow. I think they actually have on-site staff dedicated to DR. DR sales are actually more profitable then GS sales. When I first started selling silvers/gear for GS I found the market a bit lackluster relative to the teeming DR market.

DR requires a great deal of time sync (far more then GS ... if thats even possible) to get really awesome. Further, their items are based upon player skill. Meaning the best weapon currently in the game which is a Kertig Greatsword which is well balanced, is very strong at 50/50, does bone crushing crush/slice and heavy puncture, and weighs a smidgen over 20 stones was forged by a player... who I believe is Grims or some other very old barbarian thats been playing the game forever.

Likewise, the best armor in the game a set of Kertig Chain shirt + greaves + gauntlets + leggings and coif which all weighs in at an astonishing 30 stones and protects like plate armor was also created by a player.

So, anyhow, selling is hot in the market because good items are hard to come by. Plus, theres a greater variation in the types of things you can sell in DR. For instance, in DR you can create ships that are player run and player owned and which are THE most expensive items in the game (and also really freakin cool... seeing how you can travel to anywhere in the game on them).

how do i give this guy negative reputation

Methais
03-09-2009, 07:51 PM
how do i give this guy negative reputation

Burn down his house irl.

Deathravin
03-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Wow, a friend who was a GM for HJ confirmed this. He received an email from the company informing them about the layoffs. Said the game was not cancelled, but that it would be a while until they could get funding. Apparently they've had some pretty major financial issues, and haven't been selling as many licenses of the HeroEngine as they would have liked.

Pretty much what I had assumed.

Drunken Durfin
03-10-2009, 07:01 PM
It can be argued that in order to die, it must have, at some point, lived.

Guarrin
03-10-2009, 07:18 PM
When they ran that last GM auction for Ebon's they sold out and people were bitching that they started selling the tickets early. It was like 100 tickets at $100 each. They could easily do that more often to generate revenue, they could sell items for cash (either obviously as policy or quietly posing as players), and then there are the subscriptions. And supposedly DR has a higher population although I don't know if they run pay events. I can't imagine the games cost much to upkeep.

I just find it hard to believe anything that can easily make money will fold. They could announce some ticketed event right now and make thousands.

* I'm not suggesting they make RL cash equal even more benefits but the point is they can easily do it.

Part of the problem is that those EG ticket sales (100 @ $100) doesn't cover even one in house engineer. Their text based business , as far as I know, will simply not cover engine and game development. I am completely estimating based on engineers/design and median salary vs what I expect GS pulls in.

Game dev is expensive, and MMO development is probably the most expensive genre to try to break into with a new IP. It was a good decision to go the engine development route, as that is a proven way to make a ton of cash, while funding your game.

However, I'm not aware of many engines specifically marketed for MMO's. Given the cost to develop an mmo, there are significantly less companies even in the market to purchase the HJ license. Not to mention that they all have to compete with the existing franchises, including wow. Unless you're going the route of maple story, or work for a top 3 developer you really don't belong in the mmo business.

So you have a (comparably) small customer base, a very competitive genre, new game developers (to my knowledge), and throw in the economic issues and you have a recipe for disaster. Which is unfortunate because the engine itself, and in particular the concept of simultaneous development, is great.

It sucks, best of luck to all those involved.

ZeP
03-11-2009, 12:09 AM
Oh Guarrin, sorry that I didn't quote who I was responding to. It was an off-topic to the * Simutronics just bit the dust posts, nothing about HJ itself. Anyone who knows Simu's track record could never expect that game to come out. They might not implement upper bodies for 5 years and you just have legs walking around.

Methais
03-11-2009, 02:00 AM
Upper bodies would only be available to premium subscribers, and if you wanted a head you'd have to join Hero's Journey: Platinum for only an extra $50 a month.

Ben 2.0
03-11-2009, 03:42 AM
Upper bodies would only be available to premium subscribers, and if you wanted a head you'd have to join Hero's Journey: Platinum for only an extra $50 a month.

wouldnt be the only time i've paid 50 bucks for head.

Methais
03-11-2009, 04:12 AM
Yeah but was it from yourself?

phantasm
03-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Ok, I just called Simutronics because one of my debit cards got canceled due to possible theft. No one answered and I got a recording saying that the office hours are 1-4pm Eastern. This is very unusual for them, in the past someone always answered the phone.

Some Rogue
03-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Ok, I just called Simutronics because one of my debit cards got canceled due to possible theft. No one answered and I got a recording saying that the office hours are 1-4pm Eastern. This is very unusual for them, in the past someone always answered the phone.

I had the same thing happen. I had two accounts on one card, when I got my new card, I tried to put the second account on and it wouldn't let me without calling billing...wtf. I guess they don't want the money very badly if they can't figure out how to let more than one account be billed to one card.

I was going to close my accounts anyway after I consolidated some stuff. Guess I just don't worry about it now.

diethx
03-12-2009, 04:00 PM
One to FOUR? Seriously? It used to be one to NINE.

Some Rogue
03-12-2009, 04:33 PM
They should probably update their website...oh wait, they never do that.

1-636-925-3172
1pm to 9pm Eastern
Monday through Friday

http://www.play.net/gs4/account/phonehelp.asp

Tolwynn
03-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Their phone message is saying 1 to 9 now.

diethx
03-12-2009, 04:38 PM
I just called and they're open (Mike answered). You must've misheard the message.

aesir
03-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Hrm, so is it 1-4 or 1-9?

They should make it 5-9 because thats when people get off work. Dear lord... Im seriously genuinely concerned about the welfare of the company. They should really really really make a public announcement saying everything is OK.

diethx
03-13-2009, 12:15 AM
Shut up.

Cephalopod
03-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Fuck, I just accidentally gave aesir pos rep instead of neg rep. HOW CAN I UNDO THIS TRAVESTY?

SoupyPoopy
03-17-2009, 01:06 AM
http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/stories/2008/02/18/daily3.html?ana=from_r

:wtf:

I am well aware this article is just over a year old, but what kind of company does a move like this then shuts down. Would be nice to get some kind of official response. And if you go to their website they are still hiring 4 people from graphics to c++ all onsite jobs.

Tisket
03-17-2009, 01:30 AM
They should make it 5-9 because thats when people get off work. Dear lord... Im seriously genuinely concerned about the welfare of the company. They should really really really make a public announcement saying everything is OK.

Why should they make an official announcement about fucking GOSSIP? They are making adjustments by reducing costs certainly but since when did that become the death knell of a company? Your theories are ludicrous and Simutronics doesn't need to justify lowering overhead to anyone. Grow the fuck up you embarrassing waste of space. Stop wasting everyone's time and get back to obsessing about monks....

Tisket
03-17-2009, 01:35 AM
I am well aware this article is just over a year old, but what kind of company does a move like this then shuts down. Would be nice to get some kind of official response. And if you go to their website they are still hiring 4 people from graphics to c++ all onsite jobs.

Just stop with the Machiavellian conspiracy theories. Jesus Christ on crutches. Do you really believe they are pretending to hire to throw everyone off the scent of an imminent collapse? Get real.

Warriorbird
03-17-2009, 01:38 AM
I... rather doubt they're shutting down. In a recession companies make cuts and choose not to forward potentially dangerous projects.

Tisket
03-17-2009, 01:40 AM
I... rather doubt they're shutting down. In a recession companies make cuts and choose not to forward potentially dangerous projects.

Exactly. Fucking whorish ways of mine prevent me from pos repping you yet.