PDA

View Full Version : Returning Wizard, looking for advice

BuleGila
02-28-2009, 07:36 AM
So I reactivated my account, and I'm looking to change my dark elf wizard up so I can actually hunt with him. Any help with how I should train him? I read about war mages and using haste to swing better (( 1 second rt? Holy crap! )) but I'm not so sure this would be viable later on, would it? As a wizard, I won't get full plate, dodging, redux, cmans, or any of those other nice abilities that make being a warrior so effective. A bolt caster just seems more suited for hunting.

Which brings me to lores....training in lores only adds a minimal increase in damage to the respective spells? It seems that training in a lore is more beneficial for extra stuff, like earth for stone skin, air for disk or hand of tonis, ect...and not so much the damage from bolt spell attacks.

Anyways, I'm confused as to which lore to pursue. As of right now, this is what my wizard looks like:

Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 57 (3) ... 57 (3)
Constitution (CON): 52 (-4) ... 52 (-4)
Dexterity (DEX): 100 (35) ... 100 (35)
Agility (AGI): 66 (13) ... 66 (13)
Discipline (DIS): 80 (5) ... 80 (5)
Aura (AUR): 100 (35) ... 100 (35)
Logic (LOG): 100 (25) ... 100 (25)
Intuition (INT): 68 (14) ... 68 (14)
Wisdom (WIS): 89 (24) ... 89 (24)
Influence (INF): 66 (3) ... 66 (3)
Mana: 140 Silver: 0

Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 58 12
Physical Fitness...................| 96 22
Arcane Symbols.....................| 176 76
Magic Item Use.....................| 176 76
Spell Aiming.......................| 176 76
Harness Power......................| 153 53
Elemental Mana Control.............| 140 40
Elemental Lore - Earth.............| 90 20
Elemental Lore - Fire..............| 74 16
Climbing...........................| 66 14
Swimming...........................| 58 12

Spell Lists
Major Elemental....................| 21

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 38

Spell Lists
Wizard.............................| 32

...about the armor, I'm trying to reach 15 ranks to only have 4% spell hindrance for my doubles that I'm currently wearing

Tolwynn
02-28-2009, 07:45 AM
I read about war mages and using haste to swing better (( 1 second rt? Holy crap! )) but I'm not so sure this would be viable later on, would it? As a wizard, I won't get full plate, dodging, redux, cmans, or any of those other nice abilities that make being a warrior so effective.

It's still working at 85th level for me, your mileage may vary. As far as full plate, redux, etc, the only thing you truly have to worry about at upper levels, regardless of what iteration of wizard you play, is creature maneuvers or maneuver-like spells. It's pretty much the only thing left that can and will kill you.

BuleGila
02-28-2009, 08:00 AM
It's still working at 85th level for me, your mileage may vary. As far as full plate, redux, etc, the only thing you truly have to worry about at upper levels, regardless of what iteration of wizard you play, is creature maneuvers or maneuver-like spells. It's pretty much the only thing left that can and will kill you.

Level 85 huh? I'm impressed, I *really* didn't think it would work at those levels. I'm only level 36, and I was afraid it wouldn't even be viable at my level. The only other problem I'd have with it is finding a suitable weapon. I only have 4x longswords at this point, so I'd be hacking away all day! And one other thing, at 1 second rt, are you basically staying in offensive stance? When would you ever get a chance to "stance dance" if you only have 1 second rt?

Tolwynn
02-28-2009, 08:12 AM
A lot of warmages will tell you you're doing it wrong to begin with by going OHE. If you go pole or 2HW, you have a lot more damage per swing, though you don't have that 1 sec rt anymore. If you do go sword and board (like I did), you do eventually want better than a 4x weapon. Ideally, you pick up something weighted, or failing that, something that flares an element that what you're hunting is weak to. With any luck, you might be able to eblade a weapon with that sort of flare yourself.

You usually don't stance dance during a combat, but between them. Stick in defensive until the critters swing and leave themselves hung out to dry in offensive themselves. Optionally use a spell to bind, stun, lock them in rt and/or knock them over, and then hack away at them.

BuleGila
02-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Nice. Well then, being a war mage will just have to wait for now until I come across a suitable weapon for it. In the mean time, I'll just stick to being a caster. I tried out spectral miners today with minor/major fire just check out the "splash" damage. Although the damage was a little low at first, it was nice seeing it hit again.

Ignot
02-28-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm not a big fan of lores, I would rather go for spell ranks but that's just me. I think most people will tell you to stick with one lore instead of splitting it up with the exception of air lore if you really want tonis to bolt.

Askip
02-28-2009, 09:52 AM
I waited until cap to get Lores because the TPs seem better spent on spell ranks, or 1x each FA & Survival ranks for skinning.

If you are sticking with full leathers you can drop Armor to 4 ranks, and for doubles you will need 15.

:D

BuleGila
02-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Hm, I hadn't thought of that. I thought it was just one of those things wizards should be atleast doing 1x per training in. I could skip over it....the benefits don't seem so great at my level, and that would free up points.....

Well, more to think about now. I picked earth lore for stone skin, it sounded like an important spell ((And one that wasn't around when I use to play)) and fire for the added splash damage ((though I'm not sure how much *added* it really does))

Jace Solo
02-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Uh, can still swing a 2hnder in 1 second. I'm 18 and should be at my 1rt with my two handers at Lord. I carry one that's constantly blessed for undead bounties and one that's +15, enhancive with mana regen and crit weighted.
I can't wait to shave that last second off

BuleGila
02-28-2009, 08:54 PM
*drool* I really like the idea of swinging with such a short rt, I hope it does work out when I 'm ready ((that is, when I find a suitable weapon)). I'm still not sure if I want to go 2h though, you don't die often doing that?

trueblood808
03-01-2009, 02:45 AM
You can actually swing at 1 second at train 11, i got a halfling wizard at 53 trains that i will be converting him to a warmage when the next fixskills comes around. I'll post some stats and ect. of my friendss 21st trained warmage in a bit.

trueblood808
03-01-2009, 03:10 AM
You gesture.
You begin to notice the world slow down around you. Strange.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
(Forcing stance down to guarded)
>
>stance off
kill
You are now in an offensive stance.
>You swing a shiny black invar claidhmore at a mountain ogre!
By amazing chance, the mountain ogre evades the attack!
Roundtime: 5 sec.
Roundtime changed to 1 second.
>
kill

You swing a shiny black invar claidhmore at a mountain ogre!
AS: +184 vs DS: +117 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +22 = +123
... and hit for 18 points of damage!
Strong slash to the mountain ogre's right hand cuts deep.
The mountain ogre is stunned!
>kill

AS: +184 vs DS: +97 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +42 = +163
... and hit for 55 points of damage!
Right arm ripped from socket at the elbow!
The mountain ogre's cudgel falls to the ground.
The mountain ogre is knocked to the ground!
>kill

...wait 1 seconds.
>kill

AS: +184 vs DS: +64 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +60 = +214
... and hit for 114 points of damage!
Body pulped to a gooey mass.
Watch where you step!
The mountain ogre screams one last time and dies.
>kill

...wait 1 seconds.
>kill

You swing a shiny black invar claidhmore at a cave troll!
AS: +184 vs DS: +105 with AvD: +32 + d100 roll: +59 = +170
... and hit for 73 points of damage!
Neck removed, head falls to the ground.
The cave troll falls to the ground and dies.
The deep blue glow leaves a cave troll.
>kill

>You currently have no valid target. You will need to specify one.
>stance def
You are now in a defensive stance.
>
A war troll pounds in!
>stance off
You are now in an offensive stance.
>kill
You swing a shiny black invar claidhmore at a war troll!
AS: +184 vs DS: +66 with AvD: +26 + d100 roll: +48 = +192
... and hit for 62 points of damage!
Spinal cord damaged by smash to the back.
>
kill

AS: +184 vs DS: +62 with AvD: +26 + d100 roll: +30 = +178
... and hit for 72 points of damage!
Awesome shot collapses a lung!
>kill

AS: +184 vs DS: +60 with AvD: +26 + d100 roll: +31 = +181
... and hit for 53 points of damage!
Weak diagonal slash catches the war troll's left knee!
It is dislocated.
The war troll is knocked to the ground!
>kill

AS: +184 vs DS: +4 with AvD: +26 + d100 roll: +97 = +303
... and hit for 141 points of damage!
Wicked slash slices open the war troll's chest!
Heart and lungs pureed!
Sickening!
The war troll screams one last time and dies.
The deep blue glow leaves a war troll.

Warmages rule!

trueblood808
03-01-2009, 03:18 AM
Heres his info.

Current society status:
You are a Master in the Council of Light.

You have learned and are able to use the following abilities:
Sign of Recognition
Signal
Sign of Warding
Sign of Striking
Sign of Clotting
Sign of Thought
Sign of Defending
Sign of Smiting
Sign of Staunching
Sign of Deflection
Sign of Hypnosis
Sign of Swords
Sign of Shields
Sign of Dissipation
Sign of Healing
Sign of Madness
Sign of Possession
Sign of Wracking
Sign of Darkness
Sign of Hopelessness

Past society affiliations (resigned or cast out):
You have no past society affiliations.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Race: Sylvankind Profession: Wizard (shown as: Wizard)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 100 (25) ... 100 (25)
Constitution (CON): 94 (22) ... 94 (22)
Dexterity (DEX): 80 (25) ... 80 (25)
Agility (AGI): 77 (18) ... 77 (18)
Discipline (DIS): 75 (7) ... 75 (7)
Aura (AUR): 100 (30) ... 100 (30)
Logic (LOG): 100 (25) ... 100 (25)
Intuition (INT): 41 (-4) ... 41 (-4)
Wisdom (WIS): 40 (-5) ... 40 (-5)
Influence (INF): 41 (-4) ... 41 (-4)
Mana: 78 Silver: 1179

----------------------------------------------------------------------

(at level 21), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 10 2
Combat Maneuvers...................| 74 16
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 99 23
Physical Fitness...................| 86 19
Harness Power......................| 93 21
Elemental Lore - Air...............| 102 24
Survival...........................| 35 7
Climbing...........................| 58 12
Swimming...........................| 50 10
First Aid..........................| 114 28

Spell Lists
Major Elemental....................| 27

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 21
Training Points: 83 Phy 0 Mnt (138 Phy converted to Mnt)
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)

BuleGila
03-01-2009, 04:27 AM
Yeah, that's my other issue. I foolishly left CoL years ago to Master Voln instead. I wanted Symbol of Return ((I don't think familiar gate had been implemented yet. If it was, I probably didn't know it)) and I wanted Symbol of Dreams, which I found out today is useless to me now, as they removed the accelerated experience gain. I wish I could go back to CoL....

trueblood808
03-01-2009, 04:41 AM
ohh, didn't notice your strength was so low... its even lower then my halflings! i been buying every strength/con enhansive thats been on the market. so by the time the fixskills comes around he'll have at least a +15 str bonus +10 con bonus.

BuleGila
03-02-2009, 12:30 AM
Yeah, back when I first started out, I never thought it was an important stat. Am I able to change that now? I see some other posts of people distributing points however they want now. Or is it an expensive potion I have to buy?

Kitsun
03-02-2009, 12:56 AM
Try typing in SOCIETY. It should tell you if you have a society reset available.

Kitsun
03-02-2009, 12:57 AM
>socie
>

Current society status:
You are not a member of any society at this time.

Past society affiliations (resigned or cast out):
You have no past society affiliations.

You may reset your society status one time. Enter SOCIETY RESET for details.

You may view your society task information via the SOCIETY TASK command.

BuleGila
03-02-2009, 07:20 AM
Oh hell yes, that's awesome. Before I reset, has anything changed with CoL in the past....uhm, 5 years? That sounds about right. I know it's no longer in the bath house....do they still have sign of darkness? Or the mana one, forget the name...where it replenishes your mana. Any of that stuff been neutered?

Septik
03-02-2009, 07:57 AM
before you join COL you might want to have a look at the new society. Guardians of Sunfist.

http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Society

BuleGila
03-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Hmm, very tempting. Temporary crit padding sigils? Sunfist sounds very nice, but I'm turned off by the fact that sigil of escape can only be used once every 24 hours. I guess it shouldn't be that big a deal, gold rings should still be cheap.

Septik
03-02-2009, 10:17 AM
that turned me off a bit too but still, it's a escape death free for a day. Don't forget, it adds heavy crit weighting to bolts too.

Celephais
03-02-2009, 10:23 AM
weighting is ONLY against hated enemies (although you'll mostly be fighting them so...)

The biggest issue I have with GoS is the sigil duration. With CoL you just fire off your signs before a hunt and forget about it.

BuleGila
03-03-2009, 04:31 AM
Yeah, that just makes the decesion more difficult, lol. Atleast the padding is universal, but the weighting only affecting hated enemies? I don't like being locked down to one hunting area, especially one that's cut off from non Sunfist members. The warcamps sound like a difficult hunting area too, and I'm the type who never finds a group. And the duration of the sigils sound like crap.

Only thing I didn't like about CoL was the fact that I play a Dark Elf. Spirit regen takes some time, and wracking isn't really an option in the middle of a hunt.

More stuff to think about!

thefarmer
03-03-2009, 04:35 AM
The biggest issue I have with GoS is the sigil duration. With CoL you just fire off your signs before a hunt and forget about it.

I would expect the durations to be shortened after the RSN society update

Widgets
03-03-2009, 05:20 AM
Yeah, that just makes the decesion more difficult, lol. Atleast the padding is universal, but the weighting only affecting hated enemies? I don't like being locked down to one hunting area, especially one that's cut off from non Sunfist members. The warcamps sound like a difficult hunting area too, and I'm the type who never finds a group. And the duration of the sigils sound like crap.

Only thing I didn't like about CoL was the fact that I play a Dark Elf. Spirit regen takes some time, and wracking isn't really an option in the middle of a hunt.

More stuff to think about!

At Cap, we only have literally two hunting areas. Three if you count GoS.

If you aren't capped, there's a nice long list of hated enemies, all the way up to Illoke in the Bowels you can hunt and gain full use of your sigils with.

It's just retarded that right now, no cap level creatures are hated, but hopefully it changes at some point.

BuleGila
03-03-2009, 08:49 AM
Well I'm no where near cap, but even hearing that is another turn-off. I like having a group fog ((voln))...but I think that's about the only symbol I enjoy. But I'm lazy, I use it a lot. Familiar gate isn't really fun because of the risk involved. I also use symbol of courage a lot, and symbol of mana now that deeds aren't so important anymore. But GoS just seems too cheap. REALLY short durations, and being locked into a hunting area where I can't really get rescued((they enter some warcamp, right?))....nah, I'm getting more turned off each time I read about it. I guess I'll stick with Voln.

And I was thinking more about war mages...I realize they can get a 1 RT, but unless they have a very good weapon, wouldn't a wizard still do more damage as a bolt caster? I mean there's only a 3 second rt for casting, and the damage can splash out. Plus there's spells like cone of lightning, call wind, or ewave for crowd control. Do war mages make use of any of that? Or not until later on? ((after level 50?))

Tolwynn
03-03-2009, 09:56 AM
You can do more damage as a bolt caster, but for me it's mostly a situational thing. I'll use one spell as a lead in for knockdown, and then use my sword when it's only one to three critters, or spells if there's more than that.

Jace Solo
03-03-2009, 09:59 AM
First, let's think about getting PSInet and making use of Alias...I don't ring anymore unless it saves me from climbing or ice patches.

At 18. I haste, wait for swing and go to work. The real fun starts when they swarm. Haste, Ewave, Cone of Lightning, hack hack hack. I always have mana to haste and ewave, the CoL is expensive but I'm sure around your level it's fine. I don't get swarmed much because of how quickly I can drop stuff so it's usually only if I walk into a room with mobs all over. I'm picking up Tremors at 19 and my RT will drop to 1s then. Almost makes me wanna stop sharing the time with my paladin but I just can't let a gift period go to waste.