PDA

View Full Version : Dark Sun Character

aesir
02-26-2009, 10:12 PM
I used to play AD&D, DarkSun world. For those of you who don't know.

http://paizo.com/image/product/catalog/TSR/TSR2400_360.jpeg

Basically Dune like desert planet scourged by dark defilers who are essentially sorcerers... who become so powerful they turn into the only Dragons in the game and rule city states like kings.

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/ds/ds-drag.jpg

Anyhow, the world is incredibly resource depleted. Some fancy Bone armor is like normal wear. Wooden and stone weapons are the norm. And to wield an Iron weapon or wear iron armor you would need to be a aristocrat or even part of a royal family. A steel weapon would be considered legendary. The guy below is I think he's called Humanu and he ended up killing a dragon in single combat. He would be considered completely uber gear decked out.

http://membres.lycos.fr/skanlon/pictures/Gerard_BROM/BromRotFang.jpg

Anyhow, I want to create a savage primal character using nothing more or less stone/obsidian/rock weapons and bone armor. Almost caveman in appearence... but I also don't want to lose functionality. I also want to use mostly my hands to pummel people to death but again without losing functionality. Can you think of a way to kind of bypass current mechanics using certain gear? Are there full plate armors made completely out of bone in the game? Suggestions are welcomed. :thanx:

Warriorbird
02-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Ah, Darksun, where everybody is a fucking psionic.

The answer to your question is yes, easily. There are a bunch of bone/wood weapons that don't suck. There's bone (and driftwood) plate out there as well. Just do some searching of the playershops website and you'll find some of it.

There's also dyeable plate and 'bone white' dye.

droit
02-26-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm not sure if it comes in plate AsGs, but there's some nifty kiramon chitin armor out there too.

Asha
02-27-2009, 05:31 AM
Go nekkid. You'll love monks.
But yeah if you want to be hard as nails get some really good plate but a cape or cloak that covers it from player view and alter everything you own into bone / teeth / horns etc.
Use a claidh or a battle axe and be conan :D

Widgets
02-27-2009, 05:42 AM
There was a Dark Sun PC game by the way. Kicked ass!

joehollywood
02-27-2009, 08:50 AM
that kiramon chitin armor inspects as steel, and they won't change that in the inspect no matter how much you whine...unless you whine better than me, which is doubtful

aesir
02-27-2009, 09:08 AM
There is armor though thats constructed out of bone right? If so what type of bone? The only organic armor I can think of is that Dragonscale armor.

Warriorbird
02-27-2009, 11:35 AM
I had some white bone plate for a while as well as a breastplate made out of scrimshaw. I'm sure there's more.

Tolwynn
02-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Just be aware if you get anything that has actually been converted into 'bone' for the material, it'll be a complete bitch to enchant.

Ask someone who hunted on the Sugar Strand off the Wavedancer for a bit if you're looking for readymade stuff, all sorts of non-metallic gear dropped from the critters there.

Warriorbird
02-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Yeah. The scrimshaw stuff still was 'vultite' which helped.

Proxy
02-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Ah, Darksun, where everybody is a fucking psionic.

Could be worse, try Forgotten Realms Arcane Ages campaign setting, EVERYONE and their pet dog casts spells ranging from cantrips to 13th level god slayers. Still Darksun was fun, especially some of the Sigil/Planescape tie ins. But my D&D heart will forever belong to Ravenloft and those happy go lucky Gypsies, The Vistani & SPELLJAMMER!!!!!!!! YAY for the Rock of Bral and the Astromundi Cluster!!! :> hm, thinking about it the only D&D settings I hated were Maztica, Kara-tur, and Dragonrealms?(Raislens stomping ground) /end geekout. I feel old now... :(

aesir
02-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Actually I believe one of the sorcerer kings of Dark Sun ended up in Ravenloft. So did Lord Soth (of Krynn and Dragonlance world make). But Lord Soth escape due to his importance as a cosmic balancing act on Krynn.

Also, Vecna managed to get trapped in the mists as well. But being Vecna, I think when he did get "trapped" he kinda laughed it off and nearly destroyed the demiplane of shadows in order to escape... afterwards he ascended to godhood.

ZeP
02-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Just be aware if you get anything that has actually been converted into 'bone' for the material, it'll be a complete bitch to enchant.

Yeah, I have a few skull-shaped bone shields that won't even temper. Never bugged it or anything, though.