PDA

View Full Version : Attuning to a forging-hammer - Question

mrjrd222
02-26-2009, 04:37 AM
I've recently run into some doubts about what I've heard about this...

If I manage to make a perfect forging-hammer with one character, is that hammer always attuned to that character? I've heard that it can be used by someone else, and if it's used long enough, it becomes attuned to them instead, and they gain all the associated benefits.

Is this true? Or am I wasting time forging with someone other than the hammer's original crafter???

Mtenda
02-26-2009, 08:53 AM
It's true. I can't tell you how long it will take though. I always assumed that you would be attuned by mastery of a weapon type if you purchased a hammer from someone and started using it when you began.

HSB
02-26-2009, 10:28 AM
This is the first I've heard about attuning to forging-hammers... is there a link that you could share, please? Or maybe just a quick explanation? What sort of benefits are derived from being attuned / using a perfect forging-hammer?

Stanley Burrell
02-26-2009, 10:33 AM
What sort of benefits are derived from being attuned / using a perfect forging-hammer?

Full bonus for making the pointy end of the stick. Be cool if a GM would disclose what factor(s) play into fully attuning, as well as the awesomeness of having the ASSESS verb or something like that tell you if you're fully bonded to a particular forging-hammer.

Mtenda
02-26-2009, 10:36 AM
This is the first I've heard about attuning to forging-hammers... is there a link that you could share, please? Or maybe just a quick explanation? What sort of benefits are derived from being attuned / using a perfect forging-hammer?

I thought there used to be something on Krakiipedia but I can't find it now. Using an attuned perfect hammer gives you something like a 10% chance(with other mods thrown in) to get a best attempt. Whereas a lesser hammer that is attuned gives something like a 5% chance? Not sure how it works for unattuned hammers.

HSB
02-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Hrm... looks like it's back to the forge to try for a perfect forging-hammer. I been using my elegant one as I try to master Edged Forging.

Mtenda
02-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Hrm... looks like it's back to the forge to try for a perfect forging-hammer. I been using my elegant one as I try to master Edged Forging.

If you are just trying to master you don't need a perfect hammer. In fact you may be better off with a lesser one so that you can get more attempts out of your purchased materials? I didn't use a perfect hammer until I actually started making weapons.

Stanley Burrell
02-26-2009, 10:50 AM
:yeahthat:

Ahas are status points.

Edited to add: My sincere apologies, race + profession = perfect piece forging/crafting (stats add up in there as well.)

mrjrd222
02-26-2009, 01:35 PM
I thought there used to be something on Krakiipedia but I can't find it now. Using an attuned perfect hammer gives you something like a 10% chance(with other mods thrown in) to get a best attempt. Whereas a lesser hammer that is attuned gives something like a 5% chance? Not sure how it works for unattuned hammers.

I've heard that "best" pieces are impossible without an attuned hammer, so you know it's attuned when you start getting those "best" pieces.

I've worked with a perfect hammer on my paladin for 370 or so ranks and had zero best pieces, I'll keep working on it and see when I finally get one?

Mtenda
02-26-2009, 01:38 PM
I've heard that "best" pieces are impossible without an attuned hammer, so you know it's attuned when you start getting those "best" pieces.

I've worked with a perfect hammer on my paladin for 370 or so ranks and had zero best pieces, I'll keep working on it and see when I finally get one?

Well halfway is 483 ranks right? So you got plenty of time to attune I think.

mrjrd222
02-26-2009, 01:48 PM
Well halfway is 483 ranks right? So you got plenty of time to attune I think.

Right, and I just started a counter for it.

1. Found "You finish your work and straighten up" 4 times.
2. Found "You pause and lift the still glowing" 0 times.

mrjrd222
02-26-2009, 09:53 PM
1. Found "You finish your work and straighten up" 50 times.
2. Found "You pause and lift the still glowing" 0 times.
3. Found "Things seem to be going OK" 11 times.
4. Found "The steady ring of hammer" 1 times.

In order, Regular Success, Major Success, Failure, Major Failure.

So after about 40 skillups (399 ranks now) I've had zero major successes with a hammer made by someone else. I'm obviously not attuned to it so at least that part of what I was originally told is correct. I just hope when I attune I get the full benefit.

mrjrd222
02-28-2009, 06:10 PM
You pause and lift the still glowing bronze dagger-blade from the anvil. A moment of close inspection is all you need to tell that you have done your best work this time. You smile as you plunge the hot dagger-blade into the tempering trough.

1. Found "You finish your work and straighten up" 192 times.
2. Found "You pause and lift the still glowing" 1 times.
3. Found "Things seem to be going OK" 25 times.
4. Found "The steady ring of hammer" 2 times.

In the skill of forging - one handed edged, you are a highly skilled laborer with 454 ranks.

It seems it took me 454 ranks to attune to the forging-hammer. Maybe a few less.

mrjrd222
02-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Just checked my logs, here's the messaging for attunement!

You feel as if you've become accustomed to the balance and heft of this forging-hammer.