PDA

View Full Version : Names! I am so atrocious at doing this...

Chaotic Tempo
02-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Anyone feel that they are good at making character names?

I'm working on developing a particular character. A shamanistic "paladin", polearm user and very tuned to nature. He associates himself with wolves, say they are his spiritual "guides" or whatever. At some point I am going to try to get a wolf mask on him and keep it there nearly always.. so, with that sort of a visual I came up with this name:

"Yoshai"

And the first thing someone says is, "Like, Yoshi?"

-stab- I didn't even realize the association.

;( HALP!

Wesley
02-21-2009, 06:17 PM
Perrin Aybara

Chaotic Tempo
02-21-2009, 06:35 PM
I was thinking like.. tribal-ish names.. but then I realized I didn't have any.

Jace Solo
02-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Race? I take it giant man since we're going with tribes? Wizards and clerics fit better in there...you could do a pretty good cleric build with a pole and can even be called "shaman" as one of their title.

I would think Giant, Half Krol, or Forest Gnome from what you're saying...although the gnome would suck with the pole.

Vesi
02-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Perrin Aybara

Yeah! That's never been used! Though you do think wolves when you see that name.

I have lots of names, but somehow I like naming my own character. If you want help here is a good site:

http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/

I was going to make suggestions, but again, I think you should pick your character's name. I've become very attached to a few names I've picked. (maybe I'm weird)

ViridianAsp
02-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Race? I take it giant man since we're going with tribes? Wizards and clerics fit better in there...you could do a pretty good cleric build with a pole and can even be called "shaman" as one of their titles

Or is it a Tehir?

Wesley
02-21-2009, 06:49 PM
.....tribalsaurus.

Chaotic Tempo
02-21-2009, 06:54 PM
-sigh- Yea. Maybe a war mage would work as well. I can see that, but somehow I feel that he's more spiritual than elemental. He can't control the elements just beseeches them sort of thing!

And I thought about doing a cleric, but I wasn't as interested in that. Wanted to go for the paladin more physical heavy sort of route.

I'll come up with some names and post them, maybe people can tell me what they THINK about them.

:)

mgoddess
02-21-2009, 06:56 PM
I think you should pick your character's name. I've become very attached to a few names I've picked. (maybe I'm weird)
I'm like this too... I'm attached to all the names I've given to my characters, which is why I just can't see myself selling any of them. (It'd be totally weird to see someone else playing a character with one of the names I've come up with.)

Vesi
02-21-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm like this too... I'm attached to all the names I've given to my characters, which is why I just can't see myself selling any of them. (It'd be totally weird to see someone else playing a character with one of the names I've come up with.)

I feel the same. Of course, I'll never sell either way, but would hate knowing someone was using a name I made up.

Ignot
02-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Shrutebuck

Mathari
02-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Apollo Creed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ_hf9FzhO8).

Deathravin
02-21-2009, 07:30 PM
penne ala arrabiata

Vesi
02-21-2009, 07:35 PM
penne ala arrabiata

Tasty!

MotleyCrew
02-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Just off the top of my head...

Saunder

Dionis

Atwood

Chaotic Tempo
02-21-2009, 08:48 PM
I like those. I mean.. I guess I'm decent at coming up with them. They just feel trite after I'm done. I see other peoples names and I swoon and then want to rename my character because I always feel like it isn't enough! Iiiii'll figure something out... just guess I hafta think about it.

Just off the top of my head...

Saunder

Dionis

Atwood

TheLastShamurai
02-21-2009, 11:05 PM
I see other peoples names and I swoon

Like what?

Chaotic Tempo
02-21-2009, 11:50 PM
Like what?

Meh.. maybe I'm just being a big bitch.

Stunseed
02-22-2009, 12:16 AM
< I'm working on developing a particular character. A shamanistic "paladin", polearm user and very tuned to nature. He associates himself with wolves, say they are his spiritual "guides" or whatever. At some point I am going to try to get a wolf mask on him and keep it there nearly always.. so, with that sort of a visual I came up with this name: >

Are you looking for a more real name, or an attribute name?

Jaysehn is a real name, you could hear it and think normally of it.
Dove Falconhand is more of a fictional name, yet it offers a descriptive means of what that person does.

Do you have a race and/or regional tint picked out?

Armand is a fine real name for a character.
Howlingmoon would be a more fictional name that would give your character depth.
Edit : Howlingmoon fits more of your "shaman"-style of name as well.

Etc, so on and so forth.

diethx
02-22-2009, 12:30 AM
Howlingmoon

:shit:

Hehehe. I do like Armand, though.

Stunseed
02-22-2009, 12:37 AM
Yeah well, I could have offered my own name.

Because it wins awards.

Winter's Kiss
02-22-2009, 12:50 AM
I always liked looking up alternative spellings and pronunciations of old lore names. Like the King of Werewolves from medieval France is one of my character's last names, Gev'audan. Just an idea..

:shrugs:

TheLastShamurai
02-22-2009, 01:28 AM
Meh.. maybe I'm just being a big bitch.

No, I meant like what names do you see that you like?

Durgrimst
02-22-2009, 06:08 AM
I always liked looking up alternative spellings and pronunciations of old lore names. Like the King of Werewolves from medieval France is one of my character's last names, Gev'audan. Just an idea..

:shrugs:

I got Durgrimst straight from the Eragon books, but I love the name and he is fun to play even if he is not my main anymore.

Chaotic Tempo
02-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Def. a real name fan. Armand is a great name, though I think it is taken. I wish there was an easier way to see what names are available without going through the character gen or retiring a character and renaming.

Winter's Kiss: I like that suggestion.

Miko: Probably every person with a character in this thread I envy in terms of naming.. haha. I just always seem to pick names that are mutant real names that sound clunky or things that don't roll off the tongue at all.

Last four characters:
Malificet (witch from sleeping beauty minus the -n "Malificent")
Nomeadru (Ur-Daemon backwards)
Olanixya (mash up of Onyx and Olivia)
Steinzul (mad biologist doctor, went for a germanish sounding name, it was whack)

I think shamanistic is throwing people off. He really wouldn't be that much of a shaman, more of a spiritualist who identifies with nature, specifically wolf packs and wolves.

I'll think up a few and post what I'm thinking. Maybe people can just tell me their favorites of the ones I come up with! XB I'mah dork.

< I'm working on developing a particular character. A shamanistic "paladin", polearm user and very tuned to nature. He associates himself with wolves, say they are his spiritual "guides" or whatever. At some point I am going to try to get a wolf mask on him and keep it there nearly always.. so, with that sort of a visual I came up with this name: >

Are you looking for a more real name, or an attribute name?

Jaysehn is a real name, you could hear it and think normally of it.
Dove Falconhand is more of a fictional name, yet it offers a descriptive means of what that person does.

Do you have a race and/or regional tint picked out?

Armand is a fine real name for a character.
Howlingmoon would be a more fictional name that would give your character depth.
Edit : Howlingmoon fits more of your "shaman"-style of name as well.

Etc, so on and so forth.