PDA

View Full Version : How difficult are the toughest glyph traps?

graysun
02-17-2009, 06:32 PM
I recently started blowing up my boxes with Call Lightning, but cannot do it with mithril, enruned, or glyphed boxes.

So far, I have been able to see all the glyph traps I have found (thru 78th-level Dhu Golerases) at 75th-80th, with 1x perception, 15 ranks of arcane symbols, and whatever bonus is provided by the ranger spell (613) Self Control.

I am wondering whether I will continue to be able to see glyph traps as I hunt in tougher areas, like the bowels, rift, OTF, and Nelemar - or what kind of training I will need to continue to see them, if it is even possible.

Anyone know offhand how difficult the toughest glyph traps are to detect?

Lucos
02-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Pretty sure the difficulty goes down depending on Arcane Symbol training. Lucos is sitting at about 20 ranks of AS, 202 ranks of Perception and 250 ranks of Disarm. I very rarely see a glyph over -300 or so, but I could be wrong. I don't pay much attention to any trap unless it hits the mid -400 range, and I have never seen a glyph get that high.

BigWorm
02-17-2009, 11:04 PM
My experiences basically echo Lucos, although I think the push down from AS may cap out as I didn't notice much difference between 20 AS ranks and the 50 I have now.

droit
02-17-2009, 11:20 PM
I asked about this a while ago (http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=38973) though I didn't think to ask specifically about glyph traps (since those are the only ones that really matter for 125). Do people think a capped ranger with only 1x perception would be able to see all glyph traps with enough AS?

BigWorm
02-18-2009, 11:54 AM
I asked about this a while ago (http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=38973) though I didn't think to ask specifically about glyph traps (since those are the only ones that really matter for 125). Do people think a capped ranger with only 1x perception would be able to see all glyph traps with enough AS?

I would say that's cutting it close, but it would probably be enough. It should be close enough that I would go 1x and not bump it up until I missed one.

LadyLaphrael
02-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Last 200 glyph traps I've seen, I've had one top out around -397 (on one detect attempt, could be a lot lower) and maybe about 5-10 others that have passed the -300 range. All of the 300-400 ranged ones were from Nelemar. This is with 25 ranks in AS, 255 ranks in Disarm.

Tea & Strumpets
02-18-2009, 12:16 PM

Yes. Unless DISARM has a fumble roll on spotting the trap (as opposed to the second time you type DISARM and you actually attempt to disarm it), you'll see every singly glyph trap.

Lucos
02-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Yes. Unless DISARM has a fumble roll on spotting the trap (as opposed to the second time you type DISARM and you actually attempt to disarm it), you'll see every singly glyph trap.

If all you are doing is checking the box for traps, with no intention of manually disarming the trap, you should always use DETECT. It uses the same mechanics as DISARM, but never attempts to manually disarm the trap.

BigWorm
02-18-2009, 06:21 PM
If all you are doing is checking the box for traps, with no intention of manually disarming the trap, you should always use DETECT. It uses the same mechanics as DISARM, but never attempts to manually disarm the trap.

Yeah, that. This saves you from accidently trying to disarm a trap that is out of your range, especially one you would need lore to get.

diethx
02-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Wow, I didn't even know about the detect verb. Tell me it's new?

AestheticDeath
02-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Not new.

droit
02-18-2009, 06:36 PM
Hm. I have 30 AS ranks now, but maybe I'll bump those up to 50...

...in 1.2 million exp, when I'm done with ambush.

LeDru
02-18-2009, 08:48 PM
I've had glyph traps go over -400 from liches in OTF. I think around -430 is the highest i've seen (and i did get sucked into it)