PDA

View Full Version : Stupidity

StrayRogue
02-09-2004, 04:44 PM
So there is a portal now from the Landing to EN. Very IC GMs. I don't understand why you buckle under pressure from a bunch of pussies whining how they want to hunt easy shit in the EN AND still get merchant benefits from the Landing, YET screw over a huge proportion of people in the skinning changes?

Why didn't you just make the EN right next to the Landing, like mule, if you wanted people to get there so fucking easily? Why?

Suppa Hobbit Mage
02-09-2004, 04:46 PM
This means I can transfer millions of coins from the nations without a huge hit on the exchange?

StrayRogue
02-09-2004, 04:47 PM
I don't see whats stopping you. I know of one character whose gone through and come back already.

Kitsun
02-09-2004, 04:55 PM
There is? Where?! Darnit I just made the damn trip an hour ago.

Jonty
02-09-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
So there is a portal now from the Landing to EN.

WTF?!?!?!?!?! I just took 6 characters form landing to EN!!!! :flamed:

Jonty
02-09-2004, 05:21 PM
Yeah, where is the portal?

SpunGirl
02-09-2004, 05:23 PM
There has to be some reason.

-K

Jonty
02-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by SpunGirl
There has to be some reason.

-K

I don't understand why you buckle under pressure from a bunch of pussies whining how they want to hunt easy shit in the EN AND still get merchant benefits from the Landing,

[Edited on 2-9-2004 by Jonty]

Jonty
02-09-2004, 05:29 PM
Ok, I see a a swirling portal outside the dais.... But I can't go in it.

MaryJane
02-09-2004, 05:32 PM
Does it cost money?

Siefer
02-09-2004, 05:35 PM
I seriously doubt that it will stay open very long. It's probably just because of the spitfire. Who gives a shit

Latrinsorm
02-09-2004, 06:56 PM
It's the fucking Premium transport system Khaladon cooked up, I'd bet my last 100k on. I base this on mostly conjecture, but GODDAMN I HATE PREMIE BULLSHIT! This really goes well over the line.

Snapp
02-09-2004, 07:04 PM
It's ridiculous the stupid little perks premies get. I'm with ya Latrin. Only premies can daydream? Give me a fucking break.

Bobmuhthol
02-09-2004, 07:11 PM
Latrinsorm is dumb. Ahem:

Local empaths, concerned with the increased volume of scraped knees and cut forearms resulting from attempting the climbs from Ta'Illistim to Wehnimer's Landing, have petitioned a local mage of great power to construct a temporary magical portal between the town and the Landing. One empath, who prefers to remain anonymous, stated, "This is a good thing, poor tykes dragging themselves back into town with scrapes and bruises, all from trying to get to that pirate ship! This will ease our workload greatly." The portal has been erected in the town center, and will allow people with ten or less visits to the trainer to travel by magic. The local mage, who also wished to remain incognito, stated, "The portal will allow two way travel, but the person must have entered from Ta'Illistim. Poor little tykes."

Read the news more often.

Sean
02-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm
It's the fucking Premium transport system Khaladon cooked up, I'd bet my last 100k on. I base this on mostly conjecture, but GODDAMN I HATE PREMIE BULLSHIT! This really goes well over the line.

i'm assuming you meant plat not premie but uh yea .. what bob said. new 2 43

Latrinsorm
02-09-2004, 08:24 PM
I hadn't been in game, hence:
I base this on mostly conjecture, which I thought was a cute word for "making up stuff". Khaladon IS making some kind of transportation system for premium, however, and I expect it will be much more versatile (and probably have better messaging) than the current, unrelated BS.

edit: but hey, Bob spelled my handle right (for the first time evar)

[Edited on 2-10-2004 by Latrinsorm]

Weedmage Princess
02-10-2004, 10:06 AM
I hate Illistim anyway..heh.

Miss X
02-10-2004, 10:14 AM
You hate it??? Its the best town ever!

Kia
02-10-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Snapp
It's ridiculous the stupid little perks premies get. I'm with ya Latrin. Only premies can daydream? Give me a fucking break.

This statement is full of stupidity. The premium benefits are not ridiculous. They pay an extra $20 a for additional perks in game. So what?

The people who whine about premium like its some kind of unfair, unbalanced gaming cult annoy me.

Quit your whining. If you want additional game perks, fork over the extra $20. If you don't, then don't. But shut up either way.

KIA.

CrystalTears
02-10-2004, 11:03 AM
Isn't the whole point of paying more money a month is to get perks? :?:

Shalla
02-10-2004, 11:05 AM
What CT said.. it's all about the ka-ching-ching!

Iriscience
02-10-2004, 11:07 AM
Latrin is right. Premie stuff is bullshit. The point is the whole idea of premium users is fucked up. What a person has outside of the game should not determine what they have in the game.

What it comes down to is Simu is trying to make money and their means of doing this is by providing a game that can generate the most cash possible. Not a game that makes the most sense and perfectly fair.

crazymage
02-10-2004, 11:07 AM
Careful Kia's hormones are running amuck!

Wezas
02-10-2004, 11:09 AM
I hate to say it, but on topic, Bob has the answer.

This is not a premie perk. This is a 10 or under perk.

As for the premie, they pay almost 3x a month what those people with 1 prime character pay. I'd expect to get more then just a bigger locker and a few quests/merchants.

Kia
02-10-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by crazymage
Careful Kia's hormones are running amuck!

So!

At least I can let them vent here as opposed to other message boards/forums...

KIA.

Wezas
02-10-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Iriscience
Latrin is right. Premie stuff is bullshit. The point is the whole idea of premium users is fucked up. What a person has outside of the game should not determine what they have in the game.

If you buy fillet mignon and I buy a hamburger, should I get all pissy mine doesn't taste as good as yours?

Sure, simu's trying to make some money. In this instance, if it were a portal for premies (which it isn't), how is that giving premium people that much of an advantage? Is it giving them more exp? More trainings?

That is one of simu's main concern, and it should be yours. If people advance in this game further because they're premium, then that is a concern. The fact that they have a few more altered items and a bigger locker does not hinder your chance at being better/higher level then them.

And don't give me the 1.5x vs. 2x modifier crap, that was temporary and likely won't happen again.

I am prime, always been prime, never had a problem with people paying more for me for more frilly perks.

Galleazzo
02-10-2004, 12:33 PM

What it comes down to is Simu is trying to make money and their means of doing this is by providing a game that can generate the most cash possible. Not a game that makes the most sense and perfectly fair.
You have got to be kidding me.

Do you walk into a McDonalds and scream because THAT GUY got a super-sized meal and you can only afford a hamburger and small fries, just because the other guy had more money than you?

Do you go to a football game and scream because SOME PEOPLE have better seats than you do, only because the greedy owners have this special premium class of customers called "season ticket holders?"

Wake up. Communism is dead. They lost. This is a capitalist country, and Simu is a for-profit corporation. Their job is making cash, not to make sure that no one in the game has anything that the game's poorest players can't afford.

Fuck that, that's like whining that there are players higher level than I am, just because I got a family to feed and I'm not some lazy unemployed ass who can hunt sixty hours a week.

CrystalTears
02-10-2004, 12:38 PM
A company trying to make money. Who'd a thunk. :smug:

Overlord
02-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Meh Got a premie and a prime account, just like the few perks i suppose, having up to 10 characters ain't bad, quests bank books locker manifests and larger more advanced locker system works for me. Didn't really go Premie till bout 3 years ago, out of the total 8 years playing.

Latrinsorm
02-10-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Wezas
Sure, simu's trying to make some money. In this instance, if it were a portal for premies (which it isn't), how is that giving premium people that much of an advantage? Is it giving them more exp? More trainings?
There will be a crossrealms transportation portal system for premies. When that goes into effect, they will be able to hunt just about any creature in the game with ease. I'm sure you can see where this is going.

Simu is a business. Selective pricing is naughty, ask any economist. What they are doing is selective pricing. That's my beef.

CrystalTears
02-10-2004, 01:47 PM
So the difference will be that premium characters will be able to hunt let's say on Teras and rest in Solhaven and the prime characters must hunt and rest in the same place? Again, that's just a perk, that's not really an advantage over other characters.

It's not as though the portals take the characters to a hunting spot where only premium people can go that have better treasure and experience. People are just getting there faster.

No one seems to care about it, but I stay in Voln simply for being able to go into the tapestry and go to places at the blink of an eye. You don't know how much I hate trying to get to Darkstone and the misty cavern by foot.

If you like the perks, find a way to pay for them.

[Edited on 2/10/2004 by CrystalTears]

Latrinsorm
02-10-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
Again, that's just a perk, that's not really an advantage over other characters. It's not as though the portals take the characters to a hunting spot where only premium people can go that have better treasure and experience. In fact, such a system allows them to maximize benefits from the skinning and treasure systems, by allowing them to travel to less hunted areas (in the Nations for instance) while being able to sell their items in a town that supports their racial benefits. Making twice as much money as a standard per same hunt sounds like an advantage.

CrystalTears
02-10-2004, 01:55 PM
I'm sure it will come at a price. Not even the platinum portals are free.

Wezas
02-10-2004, 01:57 PM

There will be a crossrealms transportation portal system for premies. When that goes into effect, they will be able to hunt just about any creature in the game with ease. I'm sure you can see where this is going.

How will a portal that can take them to different areas help them hunt more effectively? The fact that prime people may need to run through somewhere to get to where they're going? Use a script, it's plenty fast.

Simu is a business. Selective pricing is naughty, ask any economist. What they are doing is selective pricing. That's my beef.

Selective pricing is what this country is all about. People pay more for better service. A different analogy:

I have two mustangs. One is a regular mustang, nice fast car. The other is the same car, but with tinted windows, a nice stereo, sunroof, cool headlights, etc.

The second one has some frills, but if you take them to the track, they're going to be doing the same speed.

Latrinsorm
02-10-2004, 02:03 PM
Use a script, it's plenty fast.If you have a script that can get you from Teras to Ta'Illistim as fast as a crossrealms portal, please show it to me, although it would make me feel like a novice.

Selective pricing is what this country is all about. People pay more for better service. A different analogy:

CAR STUFFI apologize for my lack of car knowledge. But the "everyone is doing it" argument doesn't change my opinion. Simu is not doing the right thing. Unless one is a Klaivean, everyone else doing the same not-right thing doesn't make one right.
Originally posted by Everyone Else
pay more, n00bI fully realize I could simply pay more and get these perks, but benefitting from a system that I don't feel is right is not something I will willingly do.

CrystalTears
02-10-2004, 02:16 PM
Simu is a business, and it's never been a secret nor surprise that they are in it for the money as well as the enjoyment of the game.

I'm not sure what you mean by "everyone is doing it". Do you mean make money? Ya right. Give regular service to some and better service to those who pay more. It's the American way! Pay more to get more.

I really don't know why nor understand people who feel that Simu should just give everything away and make it really cheap or free, and those are the same people who complain that there isn't good enough service with the game. You get what you pay for.

Mint
02-10-2004, 02:19 PM
Does anyone else have a premium account because they JUST CAN'T STOP BUYING STUPID FLUFF??

Kia
02-10-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by CrystalTearsI really don't know why nor understand people who feel that Simu should just give everything away and make it really cheap or free, and those are the same people who complain that there isn't good enough service with the game. You get what you pay for.

The people who think that everything should be the same for all and Simu should make it cheap or free are the ones who don't pay their own rent.

KIA.

[Edited on 2-10-2004 by Kia]

Scott
02-10-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Kia

Originally posted by CrystalTearsI really don't know why nor understand people who feel that Simu should just give everything away and make it really cheap or free, and those are the same people who complain that there isn't good enough service with the game. You get what you pay for.

The people who think they everything should be the same for all and Simu should make it cheap or free are the ones who don't pay their own rent.

KIA.

Or maybe they are people who actually have a life outside Gemstone and don't feel like spending $20 extra a month.....

CrystalTears
02-10-2004, 02:25 PM
That's their choice if they don't want to. They shouldn't complain about not getting something they didn't pay for.

Premium members != no life, thankyouverymuch.

Kia
02-10-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Gemstone101
Or maybe they are people who actually have a life outside Gemstone and don't feel like spending $20 extra a month.....

That would make sense if there was any correlation at all between paying the extra $20 a month and the amount of time you are in game. But... there's not.

KIA.

Czeska
02-10-2004, 02:26 PM

Well, yes, that's exactly what they're doing. They're a corporation. They are here to make money. The reason to keep the players happy is to make MORE money. Period. So what?
Welcome to the United Capitalists of America <shrug>. You have more, you get more.

And yes I am premium. This is my primary social activity, since I'm home virtually every evening for my daughter, and to me it's worth a dollar or so a day.

Scott
02-10-2004, 02:36 PM
That's their choice if they don't want to. They shouldn't complain about not getting something they didn't pay for.

Sometimes it's not about what you do and don't want. For a college student, money is something that isn't all over the place. They have other things to spend their money on, tuition, books, alcohol, etc.

Premium was suppose to be for quirks, not something that would increase aspects of the game that these portals will. More alters, shops, alters every year or those scripted items, the stupid little daydream verb etc. Those are the things that premium gives and should give.

However the portal system gives an advantage to hunting, also increases MAing, etc. That's where the problem lies and I can see why people are upset. I personally could give a shit, but I do see where other people are coming from.

Scott
02-10-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Kia

That would make sense if there was any correlation at all between paying the extra $20 a month and the amount of time you are in game. But... there's not.

KIA.

Not really. $20 a month = beer or gas in your car to get you to the ocean (at least where I live.) Not everyone has a whole lot of extra spending cash.

Your statement that people who don't have premium and complain about it probably don't pay their own rent is almost as retarded as the name Celeri......

Xcalibur
02-10-2004, 02:53 PM
hehehe, I adore celeri, the vegetable, at least.

I think everyone should be able to get houses, that would be better for the economy (since it cost a LOT), and so on. Premium membership should be for OOC privileges, NOT IC.

Jonty
02-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Heh, I had a premium account for a couple of months a long time ago; it wasn't worth it.

Kia
02-10-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Gemstone101 Your statement that people who don't have premium and complain about it probably don't pay their own rent is almost as retarded as the name Celeri......

I stand by my statement. Oh, and my retarded name choices :)

KIA.

Xcalibur
02-10-2004, 02:59 PM
I think it's stupid to have, let's say, 3 main characters ON THE SAME ACCOUNT.

For exenple:

A level 60 bard
A level 40 empath
A level 23 rogue.

IT TAKES SO MUCH TO LEVEL NOW! So, in short, premium is for free alterations (take that 20 bucks and buy 1,5m per month, you'll get more alterations), houses and some events.. boooh.

Everyone should boycot premium, that way everyone would get it and they'll be forced to improve their way to get more money.

Scott
02-10-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Kia

Originally posted by Gemstone101 Your statement that people who don't have premium and complain about it probably don't pay their own rent is almost as retarded as the name Celeri......

I stand by my statement. Oh, and my retarded name choices :)

KIA.

That doesn't suprise me.

Wezas
02-10-2004, 03:42 PM
Simu is smart. They offer more frills for an extra $20 a month. They offer a more exclusive (less crowded) land for an extra $30 a month. And best of all, they kept people by making sure that people on Premium don't have an unfair advantage of leveling then Prime people do.

As for portals, can anyone confirm that they'd be for Premium? Forgive me again for saying this, but Bob brought the news to our attention that Prime young chars have the same portal privledges as Premium young chars. Do I have a script that will get you there as quickly as a portal? Of course not. Would a portal help someone absorb faster or gain levels faster? No.

As for selling gems in a town that will give you more money for them, money has always been for sale, check E-bay. Nothing Simu can do about that.

Galleazzo
02-10-2004, 03:44 PM
[quote] Sometimes it's not about what you do and don't want. For a college student, money is something that isn't all over the place. They have other things to spend their money on, tuition, books, alcohol, etc.

With all due respect, boo-friggin-hoo. Yeah, I was poor when I was in college too, although I wouldn't have had the balls to say that the movie theater had to drop its prices for me cause I had to buy lots of booze each week.

News flash: just because you're a student doesn't mean you can drive a Jag, just because you're poor and want fancy wheels. You don't get to have a condo for a dorm room just because you want better digs than you can afford. You don't get to eat at Anthony's Pier 4 and tell the waiter to waive the wine bill cause gee, you really deserve it even though you don't got the jack for it.

So maybe a college student can't afford Premium cause he's poor. Darn. Same as that housewife with four children maybe can't afford it either cause SHE's counting pennies.

You pay for your entertainment in America. If you can't afford to go to the movies, you watch TV. If you can't afford steak dinners at fancy restaurants, you go to McDs. If you can't afford a Jaguar, you drive a used Hyundai. And if you can't afford Premium, you play Basic.

You don't tell people they're not allowed to own Jags, you don't tell people they're not allowed to eat at good restaurants or see first run movies, and you don't tell people that it's unfair to play Premium.

Parkbandit
02-10-2004, 03:51 PM
Sorry Sintik.. but your position on this is the same as you complaining because you can't afford a Lexus and are forced to drive around in a 10 year old Ford pickup truck.

Your financial situation was not taken into account when Simutronics decided to offer the premium subscription.

Simutronics is a business.. first and foremost. Businesses need to drive revenue. While I am not a premium subscriber.. I completely understand why Simutronics would start such a thing. Let's say there are 300 Premium subscribers... that's an ADDITIONAL $70,000 a year with almost no additional expense. Sounds pretty smart to me.

Latrinsorm
02-10-2004, 05:36 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "everyone is doing it". It was directed towards Wezas' comments, but you more or less got it.
I really don't know why nor understand people who feel that Simu should just give everything away and make it really cheap or free, and those are the same people who complain that there isn't good enough service with the game. You get what you pay for. Neither do I, but I've never met a person like that.

The crux of the argument is this:
Posted in this case by Parkbandit
Simutronics is a business.. first and foremost. I would suggest they reconsider their priorities. Class struggle is not a good thing. Willingly aggravating such a struggle is not a good thing to do.

CrystalTears
02-10-2004, 06:01 PM
The only struggle is the understanding of people who want more yet don't want to give anything for it.

Latrinsorm
02-10-2004, 06:19 PM
The only struggle is the understanding of people who want more yet don't want to give anything for it. The problem is mixing IG with OOG. My char would gladly pay 100k to skip the mine carts if you somehow convinced him to go to EN. I the player think that things of any import IG should be done in an IG manner. Thus, your statement is slightly flawed.

02-10-2004, 06:20 PM
If you have a problem with selling gems for a money I suggest taking up a little used skill called TRADING

Latrinsorm
02-10-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by The Edine
If you have a problem with selling gems for a money I suggest taking up a little used skill called TRADING People training in Trading don't bother me, it's an IG means to an IG end. This bastardization of IG ends based off of OOG dollars bothers me. I'm not talking about frilly altery housey crap (no offense to the more masculine premies), I'm talking about seriously skewing the IG playing field.

Of course, as Wezas said, this already occurs through things like Ebay, but those are not sanctioned by Simutronics (officially).

CrystalTears
02-10-2004, 06:34 PM
Gemstone is a game that you pay to play in. Your characters are not sentient beings that do things on their own. They are two dimensional characters that you the player control in the game. To say that what happens out of the game has nothing to do within the game when it comes to accessing the game in and of itself does not make sense. If you stop paying Simu, guess what, your character is not going to up and walk around Elanthia on their own. They still need you to pay.

That's like saying that my DAOC character should be able to access Trials of Atlantis areas even though I haven't purchased the expansion pack, because it wouldn't be logical for my character to not have access to someplace that others go to. I haven't purchased it, therefore my character can't go. To me, it's the same principle. You want more for entertainment, you pay more.

[Edited on 2/10/2004 by CrystalTears]

Alarke
02-10-2004, 06:37 PM
Simu is a business, you're their customer...they care about money...not a big surprise they make premie...easy way to make extra cash. They dont view this as a game, this IS their lives

Shalla
02-10-2004, 06:49 PM
Well, I don't know about lives.. but to some as a source of income.

GS.. as a customer.. is OUR lives. :(

Hulkein
02-10-2004, 08:45 PM
1- That transport is fucking Hulkein. If you live in Illistem, then fucking journey to Wehnimers, that's the disadvantage of living in an elven nation.

2- The premium and platinum stuff IS CORRUPT AND IT IS ALL BULLSHIT. Want an example? Izbin never got warned simply because he was a Platinum member. Simu is a fucking joke when it comes to money, they alienate their player base to milk extra money from a few then decide to find ways to alienate the ever-dwindling player base some more to make up for the subscription losses.

[Your negative descriptor of homosexuality was removed and replaced with your own log on name. Refrain from using it and feel free to re-edit without the term ~Tsa`ah]

[Edited on 2-11-2004 by Tsa`ah]

Latrinsorm
02-10-2004, 10:57 PM
Gemstone is a game that you pay to play in. Your characters are not sentient beings that do things on their own. They are two dimensional characters that you the player control in the game. To say that what happens out of the game has nothing to do within the game when it comes to accessing the game in and of itself does not make sense. If you stop paying Simu, guess what, your character is not going to up and walk around Elanthia on their own. They still need you to pay.We're not communicating. I don't know why. But it makes no sense to continue. :saint:

The Cat In The Hat
02-10-2004, 11:20 PM
Actually I believe the transportation system Khaladon's working on is for Frostacres because Frostacres is being grounded and still needs to be accessable by all towns.

Frostacres is planned to have its own neighborhoods and its own hunting areas and be a fully functioning town, only accessable to preemies.

Cat

02-10-2004, 11:28 PM
Far be it for a corporation to try and make money.

Scott
02-10-2004, 11:56 PM
I'm not complaining. I don't care either way, premium or no premium, it means nothing to me. I CHOOSE not to pay for premium because I don't play much (unless gambling is around). I can afford it without any trouble now.

My point is that I can understand why people are saying it's a little unfair. Premium was designed to give people quirks, but not give them an advantage to the game. The portals are one step closer to doing that. It does give an advantage, I just hope some day they don't decide to toss a 1.5x exp mod in frostacres.

This is a ploy to get more people to join premium, I know that. This is just like the EXP mod that just conveniently gave you time to join premium so you could get that mod come GS4. Smart, probably.... but none the less one step closer to pushing you to join premium to gain an edge in accomplishing your goals.

I hope that they don't put a 1.5x exp mod in frostacres some day, because I do believe (I think Melissa) that said the Premium will NEVER give an edge to advance in the game quicker then someone who is prime......

<<<Galleazzo Repsonse>>>>

I'm not poor. I own my own house and my own my car and I live a very comfortable life. So this whole "you are just upset because you can't afford it" isn't really worth it. I know money gets you places, I know that the more money you have, the better things get. It doesn't mean I can't sympathize with the guy that doesn't have anything.

Nakiro
02-11-2004, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by The Cat In The Hat
Frostacres is planned to have its own neighborhoods and its own hunting areas and be a fully functioning town, only accessable to preemies.

Cat

If this is "the new town" that was advertised for GS4 I will be very, very pissed.

Warriorbird
02-11-2004, 08:03 AM
I have a premium account because I just can't stop buying fluff.

Parkbandit
02-11-2004, 08:16 AM
Are we not debating this for no reason anyway? The portals are for anyone 10 levels and younger to move from Ta'Illistim to the Landing because many can't make the journey due to game mechanics. At least that was my understanding from Bob's NEWS post. I haven't been in game to read it myself... but it has nothing to do with premium or anything.

Parkbandit
02-11-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Hulkein
1- That transport is fucking Hulkein. If you live in Illistem, then fucking journey to Wehnimers, that's the disadvantage of living in an elven nation.

2- The premium and platinum stuff IS CORRUPT AND IT IS ALL BULLSHIT. Want an example? Izbin never got warned simply because he was a Platinum member. Simu is a fucking joke when it comes to money, they alienate their player base to milk extra money from a few then decide to find ways to alienate the ever-dwindling player base some more to make up for the subscription losses.

Actually... your misinformed. Izban wasn't playing Platinum.. he was in the regular game.

Platinum is a seperate game that everyone pays alot to play.

And as far as your idea that Izbin wasn't banned because he was premium... I would say wrong again. I know people who were banned from the game and they payed for a premium subscription.

Until one of the benefits of a Premium subscription reads "And we can't ban you because you pay us an extra $20 a month!", I'll chalk it up to a simple conspiracy theory.

[Edited on 2-11-2004 by Parkbandit]

[Edited to reflect the quoted post. ~Tsa`ah]

Iriscience
02-11-2004, 10:10 AM
I wasn't trying to say Simu is wrong for doing what they do. What I meant is in an RP sense, when some peoples CHARACTERS are affected because their players are able to pay more in real life, that's fucked up.

You can't RP a being a Premium Member. It's completely out of character.

Galleazzo
02-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Then quit.

I'm not poor. I own my own house and my own my car and I live a very comfortable life. So this whole "you are just upset because you can't afford it" isn't really worth it. I know money gets you places, I know that the more money you have, the better things get. It doesn't mean I can't sympathize with the guy that doesn't have anything.

You're not sympathizing, you're bitching, and what you're bitching about is that the people who pay more get more.

Me, I'm Premium. Tried Plat, thought it was a waste of money, stopped. Now if they have a Super-Premium with 1.5x EXP? I wouldn't pay for that.

But what the fuck? So that means some people will get XP faster than me. So fucking what? DOes that take away my levels? Does that mean I don't get to hunt any more? Where does that HURT me?

You guys have this notion that anything someone gets in GS has to be taken from someone else, and I can't figure out how that is.

[Edited on 2-11-2004 by Galleazzo]

Nieninque
02-11-2004, 12:14 PM

You can't RP a being a Premium Member. It's completely out of character.

They say they pay more taxes...;)

CrystalTears
02-11-2004, 12:24 PM
It's not hurting anyone. It's jealousy plain and simple and people can disagree with me on that. Wanting something you can't afford to have is just life, not unfair. If you want it, there's ways to get it. Can't ever get it, then accept what you have and move on. But complaining because those who can afford it, get it, and they shouldn't because you can't? That makes no sense no matter how you twist it around and rationalize it.

People want Simu to charge $10 a month for all the characters you want, all the premium perks, all the customer support and all the attention from GMs. Sorry but that's asking too much of any company with a game of this size.

Iriscience
02-11-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit

Actually... your misinformed. Izban wasn't playing Platinum.. he was in the regular game.

Platinum is a seperate game that everyone pays alot to play.

And as far as your idea that Izbin wasn't banned because he was premium... I would say wrong again. I know people who were banned from the game and they payed for a premium subscription.

Until one of the benefits of a Premium subscription reads "And we can't ban you because you pay us an extra $20 a month!", I'll chalk it up to a simple conspiracy theory.

[Edited on 2-11-2004 by Parkbandit]

The account the the Izbin you're all familiar with was a platinum account. He had a level 5 character on there. Once the account was sold however the platinum character was locked out because that's their policy with platinum characters when the account changes hands.

They say they pay more taxes...

True, but they pay it with out of character money. I'm poor in real life and rich in gemstone, but I can't pay the "high taxes".

[Edited to reflect the quoted post ~Tsa`ah]

Latrinsorm
02-11-2004, 01:48 PM
It's not hurting anyone. It hurts RP.

Iriscience
02-11-2004, 01:55 PM
It's not hurting anyone

Names like Squeakybunny and Bigswordman dont hurt anyone either.

Kia
02-11-2004, 02:06 PM
Names like Squeakybunny and Bigswordman dont hurt anyone either.

That's debatable :)

KIA.

CrystalTears
02-11-2004, 02:14 PM
It only hurts you if you let it.

Names don't bother me, even Legalots or any name I see in any movie or so forth. It's useless to get upset about something someone else wants to do with their game. Names mean nothing. People in real life have stupid names, and it would be really retarded of me to mock them for it.

I'd love to know how how much you pay for a game affects RP. You're letting it. If your premium friend wants to go somewhere where your prime character can't go, whisper why. Why there needs to be a need to roleplay EVERYTHING is what I'll never get. When people were told they can reallocate or whatever, people went apeshit about wanting to have an RP reason for it. Dude, invent something or don't mention it at all. Most people won't even notice that once you could read a scroll and now you can't. Tell them you got a lobotomy. :rolleyes:

Galleazzo
02-11-2004, 02:36 PM
It's not hurting anyone. It's jealousy plain and simple and people can disagree with me on that. Wanting something you can't afford to have is just life, not unfair. If you want it, there's ways to get it. Can't ever get it, then accept what you have and move on. But complaining because those who can afford it, get it, and they shouldn't because you can't? That makes no sense no matter how you twist it around and rationalize it.

Some people may disagree with you but not me. Premium perks "hurt RP?" How, other than "I'm a whiny doofus who gets my panties in a twist any time anyone has anything I don't have myself?" Cry me a river.

Iriscience
02-11-2004, 03:35 PM
Premium membership is bad for RP because it results in things happening in the game that are only explainable by going out of character.

CrystalTears
02-11-2004, 03:38 PM
Because life happens. If I have to go to the bathroom, or drag my cat off my desk, I'm not roleplaying it. Sorry.

Overlord
02-11-2004, 03:39 PM

Well i hardly think working and going to school consists of a life... so i suppose you are correct....For the moment

Latrinsorm
02-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Galleazzo
Some people may disagree with you but not me. Premium perks "hurt RP?" How, other than "I'm a whiny doofus who gets my panties in a twist any time anyone has anything I don't have myself?" Cry me a river. For a guy who writes a lot, you sure don't know how to read very well. Maybe you should try it again.

Overlord
02-11-2004, 03:42 PM
Premium membership is bad for RP because it results in things happening in the game that are only explainable by going out of character.

Care to toss me an example?

CrystalTears
02-11-2004, 03:54 PM
So let me ask this. Is the "bad RP" happening when people pay for pay-to-play merchants?

Iriscience
02-11-2004, 04:00 PM
Two people are standing in front of Frostacres. One is a premium and one isnt. The only way explain the non-premium member why he can't get in is to tell him he has to pay more DOLLARS.

Iriscience
02-11-2004, 04:01 PM
So let me ask this. Is the "bad RP" happening when people pay for pay-to-play merchants?

Yes, thats the defintion of it. One reason why I've never attended one.

CrystalTears
02-11-2004, 04:06 PM
So you're denying yourself going to a paid event because you can't roleplay your reason for going? Isn't that taking roleplaying just a bit too extreme?

Iriscience
02-11-2004, 04:11 PM
Well the main reason I havent gone to a pay event is because I'd rather spend the cash on something that isn't imaginary, like booze or reefer. My main point is when OOC character things like how much money you're willing spend, affects IG game things, It's bad for the RP environment.

[Edited on 11-2-2004 by Iriscience]

HarmNone
02-11-2004, 04:12 PM
Try thinking of it a little differently. In real-world society, there are events to which some people are not invited because they are not members of a certain group. Lobbyists may be invited to attend some big event in the Bahamas with costs picked up by a given political party (Don't we all love those?). Actors may be invited to attend a gala for those connected with their industry. None of us, rich or poor, would be invited to these events.

I think of Premium events as those to which only a certain group of people are invited. It is not unreal to assume that this would happen. :)

HarmNone

Galleazzo
02-11-2004, 04:17 PM
Two people are standing in front of Frostacres. One is a premium and one isnt. The only way explain the non-premium member why he can't get in is to tell him he has to pay more DOLLARS.

If you're gonna be absurd, do you take it all the way?

Let's say you don't have a job, so you can hunt 40 hours a week. I GOT a job, so I can hunt maybe 10. You're going to have more levels than I do, a lot more. How you explain THAT IC?

You and me've warriors of 20th level with the same stats. I have a dialup connection, you have a highspeed T3 connection. You're faster and more reactive than me. How do you explain THAT IC?

Some players are in Japan, some in England. Some've early morning jobs, some work nights. How's about their characters, profession = "adventurer," not able to be on at the same times?

No good explanation, IC, for your character not to be able to go into Frostacres? (The "high taxpayer" dodge is one, but whatever.) Then what's the good explanation of your character being faster than me? What's the good explanation of us both starting with the same race and profession on the same day, and hunting half of our time, and you got 3x my level? What's the good explanation for you making that House meeting on a weeknight and I can't?

Sorry. This got nothing to do with IC/OOC. It has to do with envy and jealousy.

[Edited on 2-11-2004 by Galleazzo]

Galleazzo
02-11-2004, 04:21 PM
My main point is when OOC character things like how much money you're willing spend, affects IG game things, It's bad for the RP environment.

Actually, whatever. This don't make any sense and the people saying it've no evidence of it, but they sound damn determined to cling to the class struggle, and no one's convincing anyone of anything.

:rolleyes:

Caramia
02-22-2004, 03:49 AM

More creative people will find other explanations. Like being a member of a society or club or guild. It's the same concept. You pay dues or a fee to be a member. It doesn't have to be OOC, unless you want to limit your imagination.

TheEschaton
02-22-2004, 10:44 AM
Sometimes it's not about what you do and don't want. For a college student, money is something that isn't all over the place. They have other things to spend their money on, tuition, books, alcohol, etc.

Come off it. In college, I paid for my premium prescription. How? By not going out one night a month when I would normally go out. Hell, one night a month, I could save enough for two premium accts. You just make your choices in life.

Should I scream and throw a fit because you had a good ole drunk time on Friday, and are full of "man, you shoulda been there!" stories, and I didn't, when I chose not to get drunk?

Of course, I also worked during college. Imagine that. I had a steady flow of income.

-TheE-

Edaarin
02-22-2004, 11:03 AM
I haven't paid a cent for Gemstone in about 2 years.

LilHellcat
02-22-2004, 12:40 PM
Well the main reason I havent gone to a pay event is because I'd rather spend the cash on something that isn't imaginary, like booze or reefer. My main point is when OOC character things like how much money you're willing spend, affects IG game things, It's bad for the RP environment.

[Edited on 11-2-2004 by Iriscience]

How is it bad for the rp environment? Its not that hard to come up with something in game to justify it. Alot of events like theatres and faires costed money back then. High Taxpayers is one of the most common names, so is an estate holder that fits perfectly if you ask me.

Why bitch about it if you don't do it? I really don't see the problem. I figure I can do with my money what I wish. Until you start paying my bills stop bitching. Sorry to be harsh but thats why I see it. If I enjoy it I'm going to spend my money on it. You don't and thats your choice.
;)