PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Guide to the Rift?

HSB
02-14-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm considering my next hunting ground (About to turn 70 as a halfling wizard), and pretty much I have Maaghara (where I die pretty consistently to shrickens) and Plane One.

I've been to Plane One a couple of times, and enjoyed it, but had a couple of questions...

1. What are the stones that you need to leave alone?

2. Can you familiar gate to Pinefar from the resting area?

3. How do others handle the treasure / encumbrance issue? I have a lockpicker who could make it to the resting area (I think... he's 60 with a ton of climbing... is there a level requirement), and I'm thinking of using him as a mule. Get encumbered, head out, hand him the junk, go back in, when the mule is overloaded, then familiar gate to Pinefar, unload, then head back for more. Would this work? Is it a good idea? How do others go about it? One of the main reasons I'm contemplating this is for the treasure, so I don't want to leave any lying about.

Thanks in advance. :)

droit
02-14-2009, 04:18 PM
1. Doomstones and urglaes fangs are cursed, oblivion quartzes will make you mad for a while.

2. Yes.

3. If you're just starting in the rift, don't worry about the encumbrance. On planes 1 through 3, there are easy exits to the sands, no climbing involved.

NocturnalRob
06-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Took the mirror back from Plane 1. Got all my mana back, lost 15k or so, and got this message:

You feel the presence of the Great Drake folding you into himself. Pleased that you have brought a tithe, the Great Drake restores your power unto you.
Does this always happen?

Devessi
06-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Does this always happen?

If you have 10k or more coins when you go back to the Sands, that happens.

NocturnalRob
06-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Hey you. I'm gonna have some more essences of fire for you come this weekend.

Lumi
06-02-2009, 05:25 PM
You can occasionally get "rifted" onto another plane, usually one above your current plane, I think? In any case, if you end up on 4 or 5, you need to climb the thread to get out.

Climbing from 4 will take you to 5, climbing from 5 will take you back to 1. There is no door and no mirror on 4 and 5, so that's the only way out...

...UNLESS you have an Eye-of-Koar emerald. If you have 10k or more in coins (pretty sure on that part) and you RAISE an EOK emerald, Koar will come warp you out (and take your money and I think restore your mana, too).

I assume you know about how you randomly gain and lose mana while on the planes.

Oh, as an upshot for 4 and 5, there are no swirling black voids there. It's just you and the enemies.

Edit: Just saw that this thread was totally necro'ed from 4 months ago, so you probably know all this by now >.>

Devessi
06-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Hey you. I'm gonna have some more essences of fire for you come this weekend.

Oh, thanks! I'll actually be on Teras this weekend to pick them up myself without bothering a third party, I should be there sometime tomorrow.

Originate
06-05-2009, 09:56 AM
do oblivion quartzs afftect you if you drag them?

Asha
06-05-2009, 11:14 AM
<sigh>
No one even said go maw.
Kiss Sphere.
or Go void.

I lose heart.

NocturnalRob
06-05-2009, 11:22 AM
<sigh>
No one even said go maw.
Kiss Sphere.
or Go void.

I lose heart.
if it makes you feel better, i've done two of those. one of them i did twice because i'm a forgetful retard. that's the worst kind of retard.

Asha
06-05-2009, 11:24 AM
hahahah beautiful. Cheers.

Nuc
06-09-2009, 08:32 AM
I haven't kissed the sphere yet, I will have to try that.

AnticorRifling
06-09-2009, 11:31 AM
I will tell you going afk in the rift is a bad idea. Can creatures from other planes rift down to 1? I zoned into the rift, then I had to alt tab because of wife aggro. Came back and I was at 39 HP, on the ground, bleeding, with a Vrael Warlock snacking on my ass. I was able to stand, staunch, and move one room over and boom there was a mirror.

Mikalmas
06-09-2009, 11:36 AM
I will tell you going afk in the rift is a bad idea. Can creatures from other planes rift down to 1? I zoned into the rift, then I had to alt tab because of wife aggro. Came back and I was at 39 HP, on the ground, bleeding, with a Vrael Warlock snacking on my ass. I was able to stand, staunch, and move one room over and boom there was a mirror.

Creatures are known to rift just like PCs are, yes. Though its odd a warlock made it to one. You're more likely to see a witch get to One (from two) than a Warlock (from 3).

Xiandrena
06-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Unless said warlock got rifted to two and then down to one. (which can and does happen)

Mikalmas
06-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Unless said warlock got rifted to two and then down to one. (which can and does happen)

Yes, which is why I said "odd" and not "impossible" :)

NocturnalRob
06-09-2009, 01:41 PM
wife aggro
probably just wanted some more imaginary rob cock

NocturnalRob
06-16-2009, 10:03 AM
what the fuck is this, and how can I avoid this in the future so i don't get shat on anymore?

>incant 1030
You change your tune slightly, adding the element for Song of Sonic Disruption to your song...
Your spellsong is ready.
You weave another verse into your harmony, directing the sound of your voice at a n'ecare.
Overcome by the waves of evil emanating from the n'ecare, your arms fall slack at your side and you find yourself unable to move.

Mikalmas
06-16-2009, 10:07 AM
what the fuck is this, and how can I avoid this in the future so i don't get shat on anymore?

That is sheer fear, and you can avoid it by being less than 10 levels under the undead you're hunting. If you don't get that FS and numbers message then its only minor fear and should wear off pretty quickly.

211, 215, symbol of courage, and a couple of other spells will also mitigate the fear (3 phantom "levels" per spell/symbol added to your base for fear calculations), so as a cleric/empath, I can mitigate 9 fear levels with my 3 spells.

NocturnalRob
06-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Arasleaf is 80. N'ecares are...87? Wtf?

Bhuryn
06-16-2009, 10:25 AM
Minor is 5 levels. Dauntless also effects it.

NocturnalRob
06-16-2009, 10:36 AM
my balls. suck on them.

incant 1030
You change your tune slightly, adding the element for Song of Sonic Disruption to your song...
Your spellsong is ready.
You weave another verse into your harmony, directing the sound of your voice at a n'ecare.
CS: +398 - TD: +302 + CvA: +13 + d100: +71 == +180
Warding failed!
A n'ecare reels under the force of the sonic vibrations!
Sound waves disrupt for 81 damage!
... 80 points of damage!
Heart explodes rupturing the n'ecare's chest.
The n'ecare wails in terrifying pain one last time and lies still.

NocturnalRob
06-16-2009, 11:16 AM
wtf? is this from purifying aster opals? i keep getting weird effects when i do that.

The resistance to your movements seems to fade, and you find a quickening in your actions.
>
search wall
The lack of light requires you to use your sense of touch to search the rock wall. Running your fingers over its rough and uneven surface, you manage to find a small crevice just barely big enough for you to enter.
>swim cre

You swim through a small crevice.

[Water Tunnel]

Obvious exits: northeast, southeast, southwest, northwest

Roundtime: 5 sec.
Roundtime changed to 3 seconds.

Mikalmas
06-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Arasleaf is 80. N'ecares are...87? Wtf?

87 + or - 5, that one probably genned at 92. That'd be 2 levels above the 10 level threshhold.

Mikalmas
06-16-2009, 11:26 AM
wtf? is this from purifying aster opals? i keep getting weird effects when i do that.

Yup, Aster Opals have weird effects if you look at them. I'd say the same must apply if you're purifying them.

NocturnalRob
06-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Yup, Aster Opals have weird effects if you look at them. I'd say the same must apply if you're purifying them.
eh, it's worth it.

>app my op
You peer intently at the aster opal as you turn it in your fingers, meticulously inspecting for flaws. You estimate that the aster opal is of superb quality and worth approximately 12300 silvers!
Roundtime: 3 sec.

zhelas
06-16-2009, 01:07 PM
You can occasionally get "rifted" onto another plane, usually one above your current plane, I think? In any case, if you end up on 4 or 5, you need to climb the thread to get out.

Climbing from 4 will take you to 5, climbing from 5 will take you back to 1. There is no door and no mirror on 4 and 5, so that's the only way out...

When getting rifted, from plane 1 you will end up on 2 and from plane 3 you will end up on 2 as well. Not sure where you end up from plane 2. I avoided hunting there. You can't get rifted to planes 4 and 5.

Oh another tip for hunting the rift. Get deeds. Until you get the hang of the rift, expect to get killed either by the wandering void, the rifted witch or warlock or if you want a fun trip take a trip through the Mawl :)

As a sorcerer I loved plane 1 it was a blast. Skipped plane 2 because it is just a pain in the arse. Plane 3 Limb disrupt the N'ecare and they can't tackle you. After a while spelling up after the swim was a pain and I moved to the Bowels of all places. However when I was tired of cheap deaths I skipped plane 4 and went to 5. Good times. Peer into the room before entering. Nothing like walking into a room of Vesps who want to implode your arse.

Animate Dead: For those few who like to animate creatures don't bother animating the creatures in the rift. They can't follow you back to the Sands area. 730 IS however a great spell to perform rescues from planes 4 and 5.

Oh Plane 5 Doomstones are great to keep in open pockets:) Nice little itchy curse will spread through the pickpocket's body:)

Most folks don't collect the silvers and will leave them on the ground in the planes. I think the heavier you are the more damage you will take from a wandering void. When Zhelas hunted there he just collected gems. After a while the small community up there might bring the silvers back to the sands area and leave a growing pile of silver on the floor. It was a community chest fund for buying the healing herbs and teas.

When leaving the sands area. You can ring back to Pinfar, use your familiar, voln fog, sign of Darkness, 130, 740 and probably use the sigil skill of escaping. When in doubt go through the mawl and get imploded on plane 5 so you end up in the lap of an empath in Mule:)

Peace

Zhelas

Anebriated
09-09-2009, 11:46 AM
anyone from PC up hunting the rift these days?

B4Hand
09-09-2009, 12:57 PM
I am trying to hunt the Rift with Merji, however she really stinks in there! That and I only know how to get to plane 1 and plane 5! She has a tasking that should take her to plane 4 but again I have no idea how to get there. I'm going to keep at it though, as Merji really likes being in Icemule.

ps. one time someone I was in the rift with..died, and the group put him in a box...I jumped in the box...yeah..woot..fun.

BriarFox
09-09-2009, 01:15 PM
I usually hunt the Rift. Nuadjha. Also known as "the bowed crown shell" you're walking by.

Drew
09-09-2009, 02:41 PM

Yeah what plane are you on?

Anebriated
09-09-2009, 03:11 PM

edit: and the chute is not as fun as it sounds...

Lumi
09-09-2009, 03:14 PM

I JUST left the Rift to hunt the stronghold bowels, but I may be coming back up semi-regularly if House Phoenix starts doing Rift hunts (average level of active players in the House seems to be 65-85 right now).

I am trying to hunt the Rift with Merji, however she really stinks in there! That and I only know how to get to plane 1 and plane 5! She has a tasking that should take her to plane 4 but again I have no idea how to get there. I'm going to keep at it though, as Merji really likes being in Icemule.

ps. one time someone I was in the rift with..died, and the group put him in a box...I jumped in the box...yeah..woot..fun.

Heh. You jumped in the box :D

To get to plane 3, walk EAST instead of north when you enter the sphere.

To move up a plane, find the slender silvery thread and climb it (the same way you get from plane 5 to plane 1, it'll also get you from 1->2, 2->3, etc.).

To move down a plane, climb the rickety wooden staircase.

I don't think there's any task you MUST go to plane 4 for. Plane 4 has lost souls (also on five) and n'ecares (also on 3). There's no herb I know of that only grows on plane 4.

Edit: In fact, I've found every herb I've ever been sent to the Rift for on Plane 1.

Anebriated
09-09-2009, 04:03 PM
nm

DoctorUnne
09-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Stupid question. Is plane 2 a higher plane than plane 1 or lower? I always visualized it as lower but then you say move up the thread to get from 2 to 3...

whiteflash
09-10-2009, 11:14 PM
You climb up threads to go up a plane, so I think plane two is above plane one. However, it's been before GSIV since I hunted there.

Lumi
09-12-2009, 01:31 AM
Stupid question. Is plane 2 a higher plane than plane 1 or lower? I always visualized it as lower but then you say move up the thread to get from 2 to 3...

Physics is kinda FUBAR'ed in the Rift. When you climb the thread (successfully), gravity suddenly reverses and you "fall up", landing on the "higher" plane.

I just think of them as being "shifted" from each other, and I use the term "higher" to refer to "harder" planes, and vice versa.

We might end up revising our perception of the layout of the Rift once the Scatter is released.

Originate
09-28-2009, 01:13 PM
the additional spirit drain that was rolled in recently is really disapointing. 650/assume owl no longer helps negate the negative affects..

droit
09-28-2009, 01:22 PM
I have a feeling the extra spirit drain is just an element of the release event for the scatter. Afterwards, things will either return to normal or will change to a new system. Be prepared for a ton of QQing in the meantime, though.

Asha
09-28-2009, 01:52 PM
What's the scatter?

Nilandia
09-28-2009, 01:54 PM
The new post-capped area for the Rift. There have been details posted from SimuCon, but I can't remember where. Belnia probably has them.

Gretchen

Loyrl
09-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Hurray for not having sucky spirit regen. -5 spirit almost every time for me for going through the sphere.