PDA

View Full Version : GemStone related computer graphics

Numbers
11-05-2004, 01:59 PM
Thought some of you might be interested in viewing these. They were all made between 94 and 98, so they're quite old, and around this time home computer graphics programs were relatively new.

Some of the graphics were actually intended for Simu's Herc & Xena game (I won an art contest they held for players to get staff artists,) and others were intended to be put into the Sorcerer guild in 97 and 98. Obviously, none of them made it into either games, mostly due to administration follies and the general poor communication that existed within Simu back then (and probably still today.)

Regardless,

http://tartell.tripod.com

And yes, I know the website sucks, but I mostly put it there for my own benefit and archival purposes.

[Edited on 11-5-2004 by 3704558]

Latrinsorm
11-05-2004, 03:18 PM
It's weird how I had such a different picture in my head for the GS ones.

edit: Are you still making stuff?

[Edited on 11-5-2004 by Latrinsorm]

Numbers
11-05-2004, 03:26 PM
Not still making stuff, no. I kind of got bored of making them. As the graphics programs got more and more complex, making graphics became more and more tedious and far less fun.

And yeah, a lot of what I made didn't even fit my vision. The TSC graphic or the Town Gates graphic, for example. But a lot of that had to do with my computer and simply being unable to cram anymore in there. Most of the graphics were made on a P2 600, if I recall, with 64 ram, on a Windows 95 machine, so I didn't exactly have much power to push.

In fact, there's one graphic in there, called "A Road," that completely fried my motherboard while it was trying to render. Singed transistors, melted plastic, smoke and everything. I was fortunate that it didn't fry anything else.

I think my favorites, however, are the Floating Eyeball, the Spider Temple, all the Summoning Chambers, Hades 2, Death, the Shrines, the Gravesite, Island Ruins, and a few others.

[Edited on 11-5-2004 by 3704558]

Drew
11-05-2004, 03:46 PM
The floating eyeball is pretty damn neat. You can tell this is somewhat older just by the amount of lens flare used. There was a time in computer graphics that nothing couldn't be fixed by more lens flare.

Cool stuff, thanks for the link.

Cayge
11-05-2004, 04:59 PM
I dug the TSC thing big time, pretty cool stuff on that site. Nice work, interesting.

Numbers
11-06-2004, 02:26 AM
Hey, I only used lens flares in, like, half of them. :P

Drew
11-06-2004, 02:40 AM
I just think of Christopher Walken as Bruce Dickenson going "I need more Lens Flare Babe!"

HarmNone
11-06-2004, 02:49 AM
That's some very nice work, hon! I love the spider temple one! Gods, how I hated that place! :lol:

Silent_Willy
11-08-2004, 08:06 AM
Good pics. Wish I didn't suck at art.

Shalla
11-08-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm
It's weird how I had such a different picture in my head for the GS ones.

I think that is what interests me with a text based game like gemstone. Even though we are given a description of the room, we still have our own way of imagining it.

[Edited on 11-8-2004 by Lady Shalla]