PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on armor

Rocktar
02-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Ok, got this nice armor, got enough points to pad or flare it. Since it is going to a warrior, I am looking for opinions of what is better to do, Critical Padding, Damage Padding or Flares? Anyways, anyone want to chime in on which you think is better? I know the market is loaded with padded armor but that will thin out as most of the large PP pools are used. Anyways, opinions?

m444w
02-08-2009, 11:51 PM
I prefer flares on higher AsGs, crit padding on lower. Damage padding is stupid unless you have some ungodly amount of it.

BriarFox
02-09-2009, 12:11 AM
I prefer flares on higher AsGs, crit padding on lower. Damage padding is stupid unless you have some ungodly amount of it.

:yeahthat: I draw the line for padding/flares at brig/chain.

kookiegod
02-09-2009, 03:04 AM
Have to agree on damage padding. Its far better now that it was with Warden's 'recent' fix for the lower end, but the high end stuff that exists, exists, outside of an auction. He definitely did awesome there.

As far as flares vs. crit padding, I'd say it depends on your goals.

Trying to get as little as damage as possible aka tanking, then crit padding.

Don't worry about being hit and just want to hit them back when they hit you (plus possible CMAN use), then use flares.

I'm not telling you anything you didn't already know...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfnOU1gkeZY

<check out the video series, awesome promos>

~Paul

DaCapn
02-09-2009, 03:08 AM
From an investment perspective, everyone will benefit from crit padded armor. I'm not sure if flares trigger reactively off of maneuvers. If they don't, pures have basically zero benefit. Even if they do trigger, consider how many maneuvers don't require contact. So basically the only one with use for flaring armor is squares since they typically get hit more and will use maneuvers more.

If it's full coverage the other notion is that you can always accessorize with some flaring items if you really want them. I think that reduces the padding in that area, though. Something like flaring MBP might be appealing to rogues for that reason but at that point they might opt for HCP hauberk and flaring greaves.

As mentioned before, what type of armor is it and do you want value for one specific character, for resale, or both?

kookiegod
02-09-2009, 03:09 AM
Oh, and yah, I'd say the large point pools are getting tapped slowly, but surely.

Few people selling out, thats about it recently. The people who are playing and have the big pools are waiting on something that totally interests them or something, dunno what. Always gonna have people come back and have em, or whatever, but its rare now.

Expected that to happen when some other guy wrote the Premium system, and most were drained early on, and even a few years later, its 2400 or 3600, but not the retroactive huge burst (minus previous expenditures).

~Paul

Rocktar
02-09-2009, 03:47 AM
Well, is 7x metal breastplate so it would be warrior or rogue use only. So, I think I will go with the crit padding as my rogue already has some spiked and flaring greaves. Later on, my rogue might switch off his padded brig to go with the breastplate. I have a suit of fullplate that is going to be enchanted and by the time I have it done enchanting and my warrior can wear it, I should be able to afford padding.

Anyways, thanks for the opinions.

DaCapn
02-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Just remember that if you wear leg greaves with MBP you need to be trained for half plate armor (or aug plate with arm greaves only).

I'd agree that padding is probably the better solution no matter what the case. I used to think I wanted my heavy armor flared if I ever got there but I'd definitely go for crit padding if I had the money for it.

BriarFox
02-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Like Paul said, it does depend on your style. Personally, I rarely get hit very hard (and if I'm getting hammered, I'm probably going to die anyway), but I often get scratched for a few damage. I like having flares react off those hits and stun things. Also, I use sweep a lot, and flares are good for that. I actually use spiked and acid-flared armor to maximize my cman damage and stuns.