PDA

View Full Version : Who are depressed more? Girls or Boys?

Shalla
02-09-2004, 02:02 PM
Feb. 4, 2004 -- About one in 10 teen girls suffer a major depression each year, a Canadian study shows.

The study, led by University of Alberta researcher Nancy L. Galambos, PhD, analyzed four years of data from 1,322 boys and girls. At the start of the study, the teens ranged in age from 12 to 19 years old.

Not surprisingly, more than one in five girls admitted to having been depressed sometime in her life. Only one in 10 boys said they'd ever been depressed.

But more probing questions showed that during each year of the study, nearly one in 10 teen girls had a major depressive episode -- about twice the rate of boys.

"This is a substantial number of young Canadian women who should be identified as depressed and treated," Galambos says in a news release.

"Very substantial proportions of young people will experience a major depressive episode at some point as they move through adolescence," Galambos and colleagues write in the January issue of the International Journal of Behavioral Development. "About twice as many females as males will be so affected."

Galambos notes that depression puts teen girls at risk of anxiety, eating disorders, conduct problems, academic failure, and trouble with relationships.

Interestingly, smoking was also linked to depression. Girls who smoked were 40% more likely to report a major depression during the four-year study.

"It might be that some people are smoking to self-medicate because they already feel bad," Galambos says. "It's an interesting two-way relationship between smokers and depression that needs further investigation."

Article Link (http://content.health.msn.com/content/article/81/96998.htm)

[Edited on 2-9-2004 by Lady Shalla]

Czeska
02-09-2004, 02:03 PM
I saw a quote this morning that said something like

When women get depressed they eat and shop. When men get depressed they invade other countries.

Shalla
02-09-2004, 02:04 PM
From your personal experience, Did you think you are more depressed than your male peers? Or vice Versa?

Meos
02-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Women got it about 100 times worse then me. because normally I'm 100 times less sensitive. I blame evolution.

Shalla
02-09-2004, 02:10 PM
So if it's biological, do you think the government.. your state or country should provide free medical and psychological treatments for this? If not already so.

Toronto has medicare.. but psychological, and anti-depression pills aren't free.. and from what I've heard very costly.

HarmNone
02-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Some recent studies show that the conclusion that women are more often depressed than men is based on the false belief that all depressed people behave in the same way when, in fact, depression in men shows itself in vastly different ways than depression in women. Men also tend not to report depression as often as women.

It will be interesting to see the results of studies done with the resulting new parameters in place. :)

HarmNone

Edaarin
02-09-2004, 04:24 PM
To be honest with you, I place very little stock in studies like this, because they're so subjective. If we're going by the definition of major depression in the DSM-IV, I'd bet that a good number of those cases from girls would go down.

I've been really been 'depressed' once or twice before, but you have to look at the surrounding circumstances. If a loved one dies, you have to allow for a period of grieving, so it's not classified as depression. I was really down for about a month last year after my one of best friends committed suicide, but I wouldn't have called it depression. Watching my parents separate was extremely disconcerting, but again, not depression. Almost destroying my future over some stupid shit my senior year, that one might have been depression.

crazymage
02-09-2004, 04:25 PM
Well.. the stats are biased. If i was canadian i'd be depressed to.

Kia
02-09-2004, 04:25 PM
Probably guys, but girls know how to really freak out about it more.

KIA.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
02-09-2004, 04:31 PM
People need to stop depending on/praying for science to fix their problems and get on with life. I imagine folks during THE DEPRESSION were depressed also, but oddly enough, didn't have your slew of drugs to "survive it".

People need to face up to thier lives and stop trying to seek answers in drugs. (No, not saying drugs are all bad, in some cases, they can help. I think they are overprescribed, and over used)

I wonder if I'd have been "normal" had my parents put me on ADD drugs because growing up if I wasn't playing a sport or doing something physical, I was bouncing off the walls.

Theme of my post - Be responsible for your actions, and get over it.

peam
02-09-2004, 04:34 PM
I think most people who are 'depressed' should cowboy the fuck up.

Fallen
02-09-2004, 05:04 PM
When depressed up your amount of PT and dont talk to anyone else it is work related.

Every couple of months I dont talk to anyone for about two weeks. I havent off'd myself as of yet so I would say its working like a charm..

P.S.

Those pills are damn expensive. I checked into them.

Latrinsorm
02-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by HarmNone
Some recent studies show that the conclusion that women are more often depressed than men is based on the false belief that all depressed people behave in the same way when, in fact, depression in men shows itself in vastly different ways than depression in women. Men also tend not to report depression as often as women.Harmnone, as usual, is correct. I truly believe men are more often depressed than women, mainly because me and my crew always seem to be depressed, and only a few of the girls I know ever seem depressed (for long). Maybe they just get over it quicker.
Originally posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage
Be responsible for your actions, and get over it. This is an uninformed position, and quite close to a boorish one.

edit: fix some formatting so Bob doesn't get in my grill

[Edited on 2-10-2004 by Latrinsorm]

Nakiro
02-09-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by HarmNone
Some recent studies show that the conclusion that women are more often depressed than men is based on the false belief that all depressed people behave in the same way when, in fact, depression in men shows itself in vastly different ways than depression in women. Men also tend not to report depression as often as women.

It will be interesting to see the results of studies done with the resulting new parameters in place. :)

HarmNone

Very interesting. I never thought of it that way, but I'd have to agree.

02-10-2004, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Lady Shalla
So if it's biological, do you think the government.. your state or country should provide free medical and psychological treatments for this? If not already so.

Toronto has medicare.. but psychological, and anti-depression pills aren't free.. and from what I've heard very costly.

No, i don't think my taxes should be spent coddling insecure, prissy, high strung, overly emotional, chicken little bitches.

Shari
02-10-2004, 03:28 AM
I would just like to say that because us women get our monthly ISSUES. We are depressed more than men. Because having that um "issue" SUCKS and it makes me VERY depressed. You're bloated, in pain, and the only thing that will fix it is blessed Vicoden.

Ah such a great pill.

Back on topic...I couldn't really say scientifically who is more depressed. Harmnone makes a good point because its all circumstancial. I have no doubt in my mind women express it differently. Girls have to tell EVERYONE AND THEIR DAMNED DOG, and guys toss back a 12-pack and pass out. <shrugs>

SpunGirl
02-10-2004, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Jesae
I would just like to say that because us women get our monthly ISSUES. We are depressed more than men. Because having that um "issue" SUCKS and it makes me VERY depressed. You're bloated, in pain, and the only thing that will fix it is blessed Vicoden.

Ah such a great pill.

Ugh, Jesae. You're cool and all but I always hated stuff like this. I've had more than my share of "issues," considering I've had a totally wretched case of endometriosis since I was 15. I refuse, however, to use these issues as an excuse or allowance for any type of behavior - depressed, bitchy, or otherwise.

Just my point of view.

-K

[Edited on 2-10-2004 by SpunGirl]

Shari
02-12-2004, 03:24 AM
I know I'm a little slow on the response time here, but I wanted to clarify something.

That first part of my post wasn't serious. I mean yeah being in pain, self-consious breeds depression, but I don't think it's such a contributing factor to why studies say women are more depressed over men.

My second statement more clearly reflected how I thought about it. Its circumstantial. This is why I hate posting on the boards cause there's not real tone to tell when I'm joking or serious.

BUT...vicodin is still a great pill.

SpunGirl
02-12-2004, 05:34 AM
I'm totally there with you on the Vicodin. Also, Percoset. Ambien. Anyway...

-K

MaryJane
02-12-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by SpunGirl
I'm totally there with you on the Vicodin. Also, Percoset. Ambien. Anyway...

-K

mmmm.. xanax.