PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu and GS4

Tilnam
02-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Is it possible to run GS on an ubuntu box? With wine or any other tools?

Deathravin
02-05-2009, 06:43 PM
yes, with wine... Tillmen knows all about that.

Mathari
02-05-2009, 07:31 PM
This works for me: http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=33507

Edit: Not flawlessly, though; but reasonably good.

phantasm
02-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Linux is in real bad shape if you can't even play GS on it without help.

Mathari
02-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Linux is in real bad shape if you can't even play GS on it without help.
Well, yeah, obviously you can play GS with an internet connection and a web browser (or any telnet client). I assumed the OP meant "play GS using the Wizard (or maybe Stormfront?)."

phantasm
02-05-2009, 07:48 PM
I just find it funny.

Jaimaltz
02-05-2009, 08:04 PM
This works for me: http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=33507

Edit: Not flawlessly, though; but reasonably good.

Just as a word of warning, that topic gave me fits trying to get it to work. You'll run into lots of problems such as being unable to update psinet, random problems with the wizard front end due to the GUI tools that psinet has, and random psinet and front end crashes.

IMO you're better off going with the wizard using wine, and using lich, which works in linux by design. You can get most of the tools of psinet (The chat and spell tracking features for psinet are better), but almost everything else is up to par and it's a great scripting utility, even if you're not good at writing scripts (tons of useful scripts in the repository). This setup is stable and runs well.

Mathari
02-05-2009, 08:12 PM
IMO you're better off going with the wizard using wine, and using lich, which works in linux by design. You can get most of the tools of psinet (The chat and spell tracking features for psinet are better), but almost everything else is up to par and it's a great scripting utility, even if you're not good at writing scripts (tons of useful scripts in the repository). This setup is stable and runs well.
True, forgot about Lich since I don't really use it. And yeah, that thing I linked to is more concerned with Psinet than anything else.

Deathravin
02-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Wizard works fine in Wine, and SF works a bit slow but works nevertheless.