PDA

View Full Version : GSIV stat placement

longshot
07-16-2003, 07:42 AM
I'm bad at this, so if I say something stupid, please make fun of me as motivation to think before I write. Thank you.

For the purpose of training points, I'm sure everyone currently puts high stats in for discipline and aura. Since these are no longer prime stats... and if I'm correct, only our starting mana is determined by wisdom? All the rest we get from training in harness?

I'm in voln, so I don't use spirit points...
Can I get away with putting something low in Aura, discipline, or wisdom?

On the official site, the character attributes are (of course) vague.

It says this about aura

A measure of a character's innate connection to the spiritual, mental, and elemental magic that is woven throughout the world of Elanthia. Elemental magic is strongly tied to Aura, and a character's spirit points (SP) are determined based on this stat.

If you're in voln, do you think it would be safe to put this low?

Parkbandit
07-16-2003, 09:01 AM
Aura and Discipline are the 2 stats I would never put too low. They account in the formula for both mental and physical training points.

You make them low, you will have fewer training points to use... it's not worth it.

Taernath
07-16-2003, 12:34 PM
AUR and DIS are no longer as important as they once were. Here's the TP formulas, remember that your prime stats (for rangers they're INTuition and DEXterity) count double.

Physical TP
(25 + (((Aura + Discipline)/2 + Strength + Constitution + Dexterity + Agility)/20))

Mental TP
(25 + (((Aura + Discipline)/2 + Logic + Intuition + Influence + Wisdom)/20))

longshot
07-16-2003, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the reply Taernath.

The new prime stats I understand.
In GSIII, aura and discipline were the sacred cows of stat placement... this is no longer the case as I understand it.

so, if you are a volner, it's now safe to skimp on Aura.

And maybe wisdom as well? Wisdom only determines the starting mana?

I know discipline goes into a lot of stuff... not exactly sure what, but I think I'll keep that fairly high.

How are you placing your stats?

Parkbandit
07-17-2003, 09:44 AM
Damn! I need to catch up on GS4 I see.

Nice to see that Aura and Discipline are not all important anymore... will go a long way into making my rogue more managable.

Taernath
07-17-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by longshot
so, if you are a volner, it's now safe to skimp on Aura.

And maybe wisdom as well? Wisdom only determines the starting mana?

I know discipline goes into a lot of stuff... not exactly sure what, but I think I'll keep that fairly high.

How are you placing your stats?

AUR and WIS can be placed fairly low if you're not too worried about spirit drain and don't use warding spells all that much (which as a ranger is probable). I put mine on the test server around 70 and 60 respectively.

The stats I would place fairly high (70+) would STR, DEX (for new ambushing system) and DIS (because it affects many things). Everything else can range from 50-65.

imported_Kranar
07-17-2003, 02:42 PM
The only important stats are the stats with low GIs.

You place low GIs high, and high GIs low. With the new level 100 cap, I'd say it's far more important now than ever to optimize them that way.

Reason is simply that in the long run, having a +5 or +10 bonus for 10-20 levels means nothing when you can have hundreds (litterally 100s) of extra training points.

[Edited on 7-17-2003 by Kranar]

Taernath
07-17-2003, 04:54 PM
That's counterbalanced by the fact that certain stats (namely INFluence) are less than useful when compared to others. DEX and AGL affect ambushing and maneuver attack defense, STR affects carry weight and attack strength, WIS is tied to spiritual warding/casting strength, etc. whereas from a ranger's perspective, INF only gets you a few more silvers per trade. Couple that with profession prime statistics counting -double- in the TP formula, you'll want to place them high even if they do grow at a decent rate.

imported_Kranar
07-17-2003, 09:05 PM
<< That's counterbalanced by the fact that certain stats (namely INFluence) are less than useful when compared to others. >>

It really isn't though, because you're not going to need those stats hunting rats, or hunting anything below level 30-40. Hunting anything below level 30-40 can be done by an empath with the most horrible stats imaginable. If you can double in edged weapons, then you can get to level 30 with a -10 bonus in strength and not notice much of a difference, or a -10 bonus in another stat.

Stat placement should be placed for when stats do matter, and when they matter you should have EVERY stat really high. Because then not only will you be glad that your character has good stats across the board... but he'll also have more training points to put to use, so he get more skills.

I guess it just depends on what your focus is. If you're testing a profession out, then of course you'll prefer puting high stats when young. But if you plan on keeping your character for the long run, it's beneficial to get the training points and have good stats across the board, instead of good stats when young, and poor stats when old.

Remember, the trick to optimization is to have every stat max out at an equal level. That way you don't waste any potential growth, and it also looks impressive to enter the character mangler when training, and see that every time you level, your stats are increasing. I remember with my first rogue it was depressing because I placed all my good stats really high, and I never noticed them increase, it was like I was putting them to waste.

[Edited on 7-18-2003 by Kranar]

Back
08-11-2003, 12:40 PM
I'm not sure I buy into the ROI thing. I tried a Stat plan recommended at The Lost Ranger's Utilities, and at first level the character was so bland... near usless. Low AS and DS. Had a hard time against a kobold!

Its a matter of end goal. People who play casually, like myself, don't ever expect to hit the cap. I'd rather get my main three stats maxed as early as possible, and enjoy the benefits now than one to three years from now.

By the way, I've reallocated my two weapon ranger in GSIV, and I'm really happy with the results. Still getting only one spell every other level, but able to add so many other important things.

2X -
Two weapon combat
One handed edged

1X-
Armor use
Combat Manuvers
Ambush
Physical Training
Dodge
Survival
Perception

.5X-
Spells
Magic Item Use
Harness
Spirit Lore
Climb Swim

I know the TPs are all wonky right now, but I'm pretty sure this plan will work, and if I am off, it would only get modified slightly.

Came out with a higher AS and DS than I had in GSIII, and was able to hunt higher critters which I understand have not been tweaked yet.

Anyone else see an improvement in their chars in GSIV?