PDA

View Full Version : Hauberk vs. Greaves and Chain Mail

graysun
01-31-2009, 06:33 PM
Am going to borrow a set of armor that I may be able to buy, and am wondering what kind of testing I can do to figure out how the two sets measure up against each other.

One set is 5x VHCP hauberk. The other is 7x HCP chain mail, with 620'ed greaves/helm to simulate hauberk and preserve the chain mail's padding on the arms/legs/head.

I know the two are very similar - the hauberk should have a better CvA by 3 points, and a better AvD vs. OHE/THW by about 12 - but the chain has 2 more enchants on it.

Is there any testing I can do to determine how the two will differ, or will crit randomization and the recent changes to padding mechanics make it difficult to discern any difference?

thefarmer
01-31-2009, 06:51 PM
One set is 5x VHCP hauberk. The other is 7x HCP chain mail, with 620'ed greaves/helm to simulate hauberk and preserve the chain mail's padding on the arms/legs/head.

620 won't work.

Also you don't need leg/arm greaves and a helm to save the padding. It'll be there already. What you're really saving is the crit divisor on those parts from being brig.

graysun
01-31-2009, 07:06 PM
620 won't work.

Also you don't need leg/arm greaves and a helm to save the padding. It'll be there already. What you're really saving is the crit divisor on those parts from being brig.
I understand that chain armor can't have resistance added, and am not really interested in the resistance aspect of 620.

Was under the impression that crit-padded torso armor with plain-jane greaves would halve the amount of padding on the greaved areas, and the December 2007 change to 620 allows for full padding on arms/legs/head with 620-imbued leather armor accessories.

BriarFox
01-31-2009, 07:09 PM
I understand that chain armor can't have resistance added, and am not really interested in the resistance aspect of 620.

Was under the impression that crit-padded torso armor with plain-jane greaves would halve the amount of padding on the greaved areas, and the December 2007 change to 620 allows for full padding on arms/legs/head with 620-imbued leather armor accessories.

Plain-jane greaves won't reduce the amount of padding - that only happens if they have another type of padding or resistance.

Also, with torso chain, you'll have the AvD and CvA of torso chain, and it *will not change* if you add greaves and whatnot. The only thing that *will* change is the crit divisor (chain instead of brig), like Vivaldi said.

Personally, I'd go with the 5x vhcp hauberk rather than the 7x torso chain.

thefarmer
01-31-2009, 07:15 PM
What the Fox said.

Also, if you add piece armor to torso chain and up.. it's considered metal by the armor system, despite what the inspect says.

graysun
01-31-2009, 07:21 PM
I agree, the hauberk will be better padded by 20-40%, have 3 better CvA, and 12 better Avd (against ohe and thw) - though the AvD part is mostly mitigated by the chain's higher ET.

If I can get the hauberk, will wear it as soon I can afford the 110 ranks of armor use, and will keep the other as a backup in case I decay while ghosted or the like.

Was just wondering, I guess, if there are any experiments I can conduct that will clearly highlight the differences between the two, or if they are similar enough that it would be difficult to tell a difference without running 3 million trials.

BriarFox
01-31-2009, 07:33 PM
I agree, the hauberk will be better padded by 20-40%, have 3 better CvA, and 12 better Avd (against ohe and thw) - though the AvD part is mostly mitigated by the chain's higher ET.

If I can get the hauberk, will wear it as soon I can afford the 110 ranks of armor use, and will keep the other as a backup in case I decay while ghosted or the like.

Was just wondering, I guess, if there are any experiments I can conduct that will clearly highlight the differences between the two, or if they are similar enough that it would be difficult to tell a difference without running 3 million trials.

Have someone cast a warding spell on you in each, and then have someone else hit you with a falchion or an axe or something in each. That'll more or less show you the difference. For the physical hits, do it 10-15 times and average them for a good idea of the difference (padding has a random factor to it above somewhat padded now).

Mtenda
01-31-2009, 08:18 PM
Keep in mind that if you wear the chain mail with accessories you are also taking the worst of it from an encumberance standpoint.

Jeake
02-02-2009, 07:41 AM
"and will keep the other as a backup in case I decay while ghosted or the like."

Graysun....btw...there is a setting that decreases your time to disconnect if you die. Because my connection in Iraq frequently goes out, I use it. Obvious downside for you is you will almost certainly lose whatever you are carrying (lost a bow to this). Upside is you won't decay. Other issue to be aware of is the time is pretty fast (less than 60 seconds) so if you die and are still active...you need to do something to keep from being disconnected.

v/r

Tom/Vro

thefarmer
02-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Or don't play Plat.