PDA

View Full Version : PC Hacked?

phantasm
01-31-2009, 02:16 AM
FYI. Here is a copy of the email response I received.

http://i41.tinypic.com/k2dcol.jpg

Morrff
01-31-2009, 09:08 AM
Wow, those damn 1337

Celephais
01-31-2009, 10:03 AM
Who hacks the PC and then just takes down the site... if I was going to hack the PC I would use my newfound power to read everyone's private messages... wait no, scratch that, too many cocks.

Stanley Burrell
01-31-2009, 11:58 AM
FYI. Here is a copy of the email response I received.

http://i41.tinypic.com/k2dcol.jpg

At least someone from the ISP knows vBulletin. Did they say what kind of hack was used?

Stanley Burrell
01-31-2009, 12:19 PM
Who hacks the PC and then just takes down the site...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBVmfIUR1DA !?!

Timjirdos
02-02-2009, 05:55 AM
I'm suprised they gave you any info at all. Seeing that you don't own the boards. That's kind of a no-no....

CrystalTears
02-02-2009, 08:17 AM
I'm suprised they gave you any info at all. Seeing that you don't own the boards. That's kind of a no-no....
Yeah that kinda surprised me too. One thing is fixing the hacking situation, but another is telling just a user of the board the entire situation.

Clove
02-02-2009, 08:26 AM
Yeah that kinda surprised me too. One thing is fixing the hacking situation, but another is telling just a user of the board the entire situation.Maybe the hacker answered...

:thinking:

GSKynthelig
02-02-2009, 08:27 AM
I don't think they totally read his email and thought of him as the owner or maybe someone that helps run the site since he inquired about it.

I mainly say that because the email responds to "your website" and gives directions he should be following to help prevent things from happening again.

phantasm
02-02-2009, 10:46 AM
This is probably a canned response. I'm glad they got the site back up and running though.

CrystalTears
02-02-2009, 10:48 AM
This is probably a canned response. I'm glad they got the site back up and running though.
Probably so, but they could have made the effort to not go into any of that and just say that they've taken care of it and would alert the owner of the problem.

Clove
02-02-2009, 11:42 AM
It was the hackers....

Timjirdos
02-02-2009, 01:19 PM

I've had similar things happen to boards and BBS's i've run. and i've had to give them my password. my secret code and my billing address, and the sons of bitches still wouldn't believe it was me.

So i still don't understand how you even got that, canned response or not. If i was Kranar, they'd have some explaining to do. Don't get me wrong, i'm glad things got fixed, too. But I've fired people for giving out information like that over the phone and emails at my old job. This would be a mild matter of concern to me if i were a sysop/moderator here.

phantasm
02-02-2009, 02:23 PM
When will Kranar be back?

Sean
02-02-2009, 02:29 PM
I miss Imposter Kranar he/she was funny.

Timjirdos
02-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Should be back on the 9th.

DaCapn
02-02-2009, 10:11 PM
The host of the forum also runs the DNS server.

I think it was mostly DNS-related. The domain temporarily forwarded to another domain that was a BS ad site (maybe other malicious content).

If anyone happens to have the IP of the machine that forum.gsplayers.com was pointed to before and during the little issue, please post it. If it changed then I'm guessing that content was not deleted at all. Probably just a change in the DNS records to redirect to the ad site. The 404 error was indicative of deletion but there are other possibilities.

People redirecting domains for their own benefit is not a new or unusual thing and most of the time, it's the fault of an employee that has control over the DNS records (getting tricked into changing it). Also a weak password, security question, etc. Also their DNS server could have had a bogus entry injected.

If people were actually posting during the problem, then you can be assured that files were not actually deleted and that they the successful posters were just operating off of the old (correct) DNS record for forum.gsplayers.com and had no idea that there was a problem.

The fact that nothing seems to be lost at all makes the "everything got deleted" comment a little implausible. It still isn't certain (if they are lying about it) what the reason is. Sometimes it's just easier to tell people "shit got deleted by a hacker" than really explaining anything.

Morrff
02-04-2009, 04:37 PM
No clue if anyone else has had this problem today or not, but 4 out of 5 attempts to load/login to this site were failed attempts leading to a Database error.

Anyone else had these issues today?

All other sites have loaded properly for me.

Celephais
02-04-2009, 04:40 PM
I got some database errors earlier today... seems to be okay now though.