PDA

View Full Version : Why I Like Valentine's Day

Bobmuhthol
02-07-2004, 02:52 PM
A hard-hitting advertising campaign to warn young people about the dangers of unsafe sex has been unveiled by the Government.

The campaign, launched in the run-up to Valentine's Day, features cartoon images of realistic looking Valentine's cards, with powerful messages about the risks of sexually transmitted infections (STIs).

One features a sunset scene of a couple on the beach with the poem: "Oh Valentine, since you came to me you're always in my thoughts. I'll never forget the night we met and you gave me genital warts."

Another shows a pink teddy bear in obvious pain, with the message: "I love you so much it hurts... when I pee."

The ads will appear in newspapers and on radio, as well as actual spoof Valentine's cards and on beer mats in pubs and student union bars.

The campaign comes as concerns increase over the rising number of STIs among young people.

Between 1996 and 2002 there was a 139pc increase in cases of chlamydia, which can cause infertility.

Cases of syphilis increased 67pc between 2001 and 2002, while gonorrhoea rose by 9pc over the same period.

Health Minister Melanie Johnson said it was "vital" to tackle this boom in sexually transmitted diseases and improve sexual health.

"This campaign is aimed at targeting those most at risk by using thought-provoking imagery and direct language.

"The Sex Lottery campaign is targeted specifically at sexually active 18 to 30-year-olds, and has already achieved significant behaviour change.'

"These new Valentine's adverts will help get some important messages across about the importance of safer sex in a fun and accessible way.

"We'd like people to remember their Valentine's night for all the right reasons."

A website had been launched to support the campaign.

Latrinsorm
02-07-2004, 03:04 PM
"Between 1996 and 2002 there was a 139pc increase in cases of chlamydia, which can cause infertility. "
If you're going to sleep around and not use protection, you deserve to be infertile. Stupid government.

Kia
02-07-2004, 04:15 PM
When I first read the title of this thread I was going to come post that I like Valentine's Day because of the candy...

being as though its about STD cards, I don't really have anything to add. :)

KIA.