PDA

View Full Version : Body parts in alters

The Cat In The Hat
02-07-2004, 07:17 PM
I thought we werent allowed to make alters with body parts in the long description?

Verda made this today

an opaque deep burgundy half-veil tied back with veniom thread to cover the nose and mouth

Am I wrong in thinking that? Opinions?

Cat

Bobmuhthol
02-07-2004, 07:22 PM
I think that's acceptable, really, because of the 'to cover' word use instead of ' thread which covers the nose and mouth'. What they really look for is if it makes sense in a container, on the ground, or in someone's hand. It's fairly easy to recognize a veil with someone that will cover said areas, and with this particular alter it's not being suggested that it's currently happening.

Kitsun
02-07-2004, 07:36 PM
Don't veils typically cover the nose and mouth anyway?

Bobmuhthol
02-07-2004, 07:43 PM
Veils do, I'm assuming a half-veil covers much less, and apparently it does not typically cover that area.

Bobmuhthol
02-07-2004, 07:45 PM
Half-veils don't exist, so we can't put a definition on one anyway. That's Simu turf.

Artha
02-07-2004, 08:30 PM
This is what I got on a GIS for half-veil.

http://www.florencebird.com/images/mask_goldbeadedveil.jpg

The Cat In The Hat
02-08-2004, 02:34 AM
When I think of veil I think of a veil that covers the whole head and face, I would see a half-veil as covering the nose and mouth.

But Ive never seen body parts like that used in a long description, it just struck me as something that should have been put into a show so I thought I would see if I was just being daffy.

Well... daffier than usual.

Cat

PS! Yay! Im noble!

[Edited on 2-8-2004 by The Cat In The Hat]

Nakiro
02-08-2004, 03:36 AM
Its awkard to say the least. The preposition to preceeded by thread does not make sense, "thread to cover the nose and the mouth" . If you were going to describe this function of the veil, it should've been done, at the least, after the word half-veil, or really in a show.

The Cat In The Hat
02-08-2004, 10:08 PM
I thought that as well but I was already picking on the body parts I figured I would let the grammar go.

Cat

Galleazzo
02-09-2004, 10:37 AM
Me, I can't figure what the fuss is about. Too many anal altering rules as it is.

StrayRogue
02-09-2004, 10:55 AM
Its acceptable unless it uses "she/he", though most merchants won't do it simply because when you pull it out of your backpack it won't be covering any body part, even though the description says it is.

Miss X
02-09-2004, 10:58 AM
I have some armor thats kinda weird. They are petite blood red veniom edged leathers clinging to curvaceous lines. They look really stupid when not being worn and the merchant that did them designed them herself because she didnt like any of my ideas!

[Edited on 9-2-04 by Miss X]

Galleazzo
02-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Y'know, I've heard of that happening a lot more these days: merchants not liking what you do and writing it themselves. Look, if I get an alter, I want it to read the way *I* designed it. If the merchants want to design their own alterations they can stand in lines with their own PCs. Unless something's against the guidelines outright, what I want to see is the item coming back the way I dictated it.

Czeska
02-10-2004, 01:48 PM
When I got my pan flute altered, I told her the concept of what I was looking for, even whispered a link to a picture for her, and then I wrote the description and she wrote the show from the pic.

And it's wonderful.

Caramia
02-11-2004, 05:41 PM
Merchants aren't required to use bad grammar, improper punctuation and syntax, obscure or fictional words, just to give you the description you want. If it doesn't make sense to them, it won't make sense to anyone else.

I've had my designs changed, but it's always worked out to be for the better.

If your idea needs that much rewriting that it doesn't match what you had in mind, my guess would be that your idea doesn't meet up to their standards and guidelines.

Soulpieced
02-11-2004, 05:57 PM
I think the main problem is who's to say a giantman has the same distance between his or her nose than a gnome or halfling. I don't agree with it either.

Soulpieced :argue: Simu

Galleazzo
02-12-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Caramia
Merchants aren't required to use bad grammar, improper punctuation and syntax, obscure or fictional words, just to give you the description you want. If it doesn't make sense to them, it won't make sense to anyone else.

That's beside the point .. quite aside from the merchants with little command of grammar, punctuation or spelling themselves. I don't want their stylistic views imposed over mine.

Caramia
02-12-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Galleazzo
That's beside the point .. quite aside from the merchants with little command of grammar, punctuation or spelling themselves. I don't want their stylistic views imposed over mine.

Heh, but it is the point. They have guidelines and standards to follow, and if your "stylistic views" don't mesh with that you're SOL! Good luck!