PDA

View Full Version : Making My PC Bluetooth Enabled

Methais
01-18-2009, 12:06 AM
USB Bluetooth Adapter

Unless you own a relatively expensive notebook PC, odds are that your computer doesn't natively support the Bluetooth protocol. If this is the case, you'll need an 'Adapter' or 'Dongle' in order to make your computer 'Bluetooth enabled'. Bluetooth adapters are generally very small (a few inches long) and insert into a vacant USB port on your computer. When purchasing an adapter it's critical that you buy one that supports the 'headset protocol'. The headset protocol is merely a set of rules which enables your Bluetooth adapter to communicate with and make use of Bluetooth headsets in its vicinity. If your adapter does not support the headset protocol, no amount of 'tweaking' will get your headset working with your PC. Adapters generally run between $20 - $80 USD and can be purchased at most PC retailers.

Seems simple enough, but all the adapters I looked up didn't mention anything about headset protocol.

So does anyone know of any adapters offhand that have this? I don't wanna piss money away on one and have it end up not having that.

I'm using the official PS3 headset and Windows XP Pro if it matters.

Numbers
01-18-2009, 12:12 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156069

Methais
01-18-2009, 12:23 AM
Thanks. Newegg is the bestest.

Tea & Strumpets
01-18-2009, 12:28 AM
Seems simple enough, but all the adapters I looked up didn't mention anything about headset protocol.

So does anyone know of any adapters offhand that have this? I don't wanna piss money away on one and have it end up not having that.

You have to say "Over." after every verbal command.

Back
01-18-2009, 12:29 AM

Bluetooth is mainly for wireless coms between your comp and your peripherals. Keyboards, mouse or Wacom tablets.

Back
01-18-2009, 12:30 AM

I am not ashamed to say I love your responses.

Methais
01-18-2009, 12:32 AM
Bluetooth is mainly for wireless coms between your comp and your peripherals. Keyboards, mouse or Wacom tablets.

Yes I know what bluetooth is for. The thing I quoted just said that the bluetooth PC adapter had to support "headset protocol" or it wouldn't work.

Roger Roger. What's our vector Victor?

Back
01-18-2009, 12:38 AM
Yes I know what bluetooth is for. The thing I quoted just said that the bluetooth PC adapter had to support "headset protocol" or it wouldn't work.

Roger Roger. What's our vector Victor?

Fuck if I know.

Methais
01-18-2009, 12:39 AM
Fuck if I know.

fallenSaint
01-18-2009, 12:40 AM
From personal experience I prefer Bluetooth adapters that use a legit Widcomm stack and not some cheap custom hack drivers, makes connecting to non conventional devices easier aka headsets and cell phones etc. Belkin is a good name hard to go wrong with their adapters.

Back
01-18-2009, 12:43 AM

The black box of death? Did you really do that?

AiIIIIEEEEEE!!!!!

Methais
01-18-2009, 12:44 AM
I ordered that newegg one Numbers linked already. Was only $13 so if it sucks I'll just send it back and check out Belkin stuff.

fallenSaint
01-18-2009, 01:06 AM
yar at 13$ can't really hurt to check it out

Back
01-18-2009, 01:11 AM
I ordered that newegg one Numbers linked already. Was only $13 so if it sucks I'll just send it back and check out Belkin stuff.

You still owe me a neg rep.

Ausek
01-18-2009, 01:18 AM
I used to have a usb bluetooth adaptor that worked wonders for adding bluetooth headset capability to my PC. A couple of years ago it was $30 from Office Depot, and had a 30 foot range. Now I see them for $10-20. The playstation bluetooth headset is not a good set to use for products other than the PS, due to how it's setup. Also, Belkin is the only brand I use for car audio/phone accessories...

Methais
01-18-2009, 01:55 AM
I used to have a usb bluetooth adaptor that worked wonders for adding bluetooth headset capability to my PC. A couple of years ago it was $30 from Office Depot, and had a 30 foot range. Now I see them for $10-20. The playstation bluetooth headset is not a good set to use for products other than the PS, due to how it's setup. Also, Belkin is the only brand I use for car audio/phone accessories...

I'm just gonna be using it for PS3 and PC. I coudn't give a rat's ass about for a phone or whatever else.

Bluetooth headsets are nice for phones though, because when you see someone talking on one that you don't realize is using one, they look like some retard talking to themselves about random shit.

Allereli
01-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Bluetooth headsets are nice for phones though, because when you see someone talking on one that you don't realize is using one, they look like some retard talking to themselves about random shit.

There's just something so obnoxious about people who never take off their bluetooth headsets. You know, those people who will wear them to a meeting, out with their friends or even an interview

Daniel
01-18-2009, 10:03 AM
There's just something so obnoxious about people who never take off their bluetooth headsets. You know, those people who will wear them to a meeting, out with their friends or even an interview

You not going to the concert?

Allereli
01-18-2009, 10:09 AM
You not going to the concert?

I'm just about to put on my layers. Chances are we won't get in, but at least we weren't standing out there at 8 am in the freezing weather. We'll watch it on HBO if we get locked out

Daniel
01-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Yea. I know a bunch of people going. There is no way in hell