PDA

View Full Version : Ultramarathons

Skirmisher
08-01-2003, 12:52 AM
These things are marathons for people who think the NYC marathon is for wusses.

Letterman had on the winner of the 2003 and 2003 Baddwater Ultramarathon tonight. This event is 135 miles long. Yes that is not a typo. 135 Miles. All this in 120+ degrees heat. She finished with a time of 28:56:52. I love the one quote about why they do not have aid stations setup along the route.

Badwater officials refuse to allow aid stations in the race because as race director Chris Kostman told the San Diego Union-Tribune: "All the people in the aid stations would die."

Heh heh

First reaction is that these people are simply insane. But the neat thing is that the overall winner and three of the top five finishers were women. Go team estrogen.

i remember halloween
08-01-2003, 12:48 PM
thats a whole 4.5 mph. thats just above a brisk walk. yea its for almost an entire day, but still thats not that impressive

Skirmisher
08-01-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by i remember halloween
thats a whole 4.5 mph. thats just above a brisk walk. yea its for almost an entire day, but still thats not that impressive

Perhaps I did not stress the heat was well above 120 degrees for most of it and it started about 280 feet below sea level going to the top of Mt. Whitney at about 8300 feet. Feel free to try it next year if that still seems so "not that impressive" to you. I'll pass thanks.:smilegrin:

i remember halloween
08-02-2003, 12:32 PM
its impressive, but its nothing compared to running a 2:20 26 mile marathon. if you didn't realize this, its only hot during the day, not at night.

Bestatte
08-02-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by i remember halloween

Um...
28:56:52 is not "almost an entire day." That is 28 hours, 56 minutes, and 52 seconds. That is more than a day and night.

I am assuming these marathoners ran for awhile, then rested for awhile, then ran some more, then rested some more. Even without aid stations, there is no way anyone can run that long without stopping. I mean - unless they're peeing and shitting in their pants, which would result in some serious nasty sores on their thighs within an hour.

That would put the actual movement time at significantly higher than 4.5 mph.

I find that impressive as hell, even in cooler weather. In 120 degree weather, it's awesome - and totally nuts.

i remember halloween
08-02-2003, 06:55 PM
actually it is almost an entire day. and no, it's really not that impressive. i bet one of those guys that runs the regular marathon in 2:20 could easily do this one in 16 hours.