PDA

View Full Version : dumb question

Septik
01-15-2009, 02:21 PM
I know this is a dumb question but I'm still learning new stuff since my recent return.

When it comes to shields, what does unconverted/converted mean?

NocturnalRob
01-15-2009, 02:22 PM
you can convert some medium shields to large/small

Kitsun
01-15-2009, 02:24 PM
New shields released come in specific sizes: small, medium, large, whatever. Before GSIV (I think), shields were just generic shields with different nouns/descriptions. Old shields were not forced to convert to a specific size due to nouns but were made "medium" with the option to convert it to the associated noun size at a portal inside most armory shops.

BriarFox
01-15-2009, 02:25 PM
It's not a dumb question. Before three or four years ago, shields didn't have individual sizes. Certain types, like wall shields, sometimes had extra defensive bonuses to give the impression of greater defense (this is why there are so many 5x vultite tower shields around). But then the PTB decided to make things a little more interesting, and now shields come in three sizes, small, medium, and large, and those sizes play into your DS based on your dodging, shield training, and so on. All old shields were set at "medium" size, and there's a misty chamber in all the arms shops where you can convert those old shields to their appropriate new size if you want to. In some cases, you'll end up with a higher DS if you convert the shield, but it depends on your build. So, in general, an unconverted shield is worth more on the market because it appeals to a greater number of buyers.

Septik
01-15-2009, 02:33 PM
ahh very good to know. Many thanks for the info guys!

graysun
01-15-2009, 02:44 PM
In general, if your dodge ranks are greater than or equal to your shield use ranks, smaller shields will provide more DS. If your shield use ranks are greater than dodge ranks, larger shields will provide more DS. But there are also movement penalties (or some such thing) involved.

NocturnalRob
01-15-2009, 02:46 PM
if your dodging is equal to your shield, use medium. if dodging < shield, use large. if dodging > shield, use large.

Allereli
01-15-2009, 04:54 PM
if your dodging is equal to your shield, use medium. if dodging < shield, use large. if dodging > shield, use large.

if dodging > shield use small?

Durgrimst
01-15-2009, 04:55 PM
if dodging > shield use small?

Yes