PDA

View Full Version : Build from conversion

Ridic
01-08-2009, 09:45 PM
I am currently a level 35 Human warrior and I am seriously debating converting to a paladin and I have a few questions, primarily is it worth it?

Secondly, what would be a good build and what is the ideal weapon styles for Paladins? I am leaning toards lances but being a human I am unsure if i could wield it in a short RT.

Thanks
Ridic

TheLastShamurai
01-08-2009, 10:00 PM
I am currently a level 35 Human warrior and I am seriously debating converting to a paladin and I have a few questions, primarily is it worth it?

Secondly, what would be a good build and what is the ideal weapon styles for Paladins? I am leaning toards lances but being a human I am unsure if i could wield it in a short RT.

Thanks
Ridic

if you're premium (and don't have to pay for character slots) i would just start a paladin from scratch. level 35 isn't hard to reach anymore with XXX and the Bounty Guild, so why risk the regrets?

its worth is dependent upon who you ask, their experience with it, etc. but the general consensus is usually that it is worth it. but like i said, i would just start from scratch.

and just about all weapon styles are doable except ranged and thrown.

Moist Happenings
01-08-2009, 11:43 PM
To preface this, I didn't convert from a warrior, and haven't played one in the last few years. I created my Paladin from scratch. However, I can say that I enjoy being a Paladin more than I ever did a warrior, partially for the RP aspect, but also mechanically. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things I wish I could do as well as a warrior, but I think the benefits of Paladin outweigh those.

Right now I'm level 31. As far as what you'll have to give up in the conversion, kiss metal breastplate or higher goodbye for right now unless you're willing to really overtrain. I'm overtrained right now at 31, and can still only wear hauberk with it fully trained off. At 2x training, Metal breastplate comes at level 44 for me. That's 90 ranks, in case you were wondering, for I think 10% hindrance on your spells. (Hauberk has 9%).

Ambush is a luxury that you more than likely won't be able to afford until near cap unless again, you give up some really good stuff. However, if trained properly your CS will be higher than or equal to that of a like leveled sorcerer right now (You'll fall behind a bit later. Post 50 or so sorcerer training can get real heavy on the extra sorcerer ranks. You won't have that luxury to do with paladin ranks). With a high CS, your 1615 and 1630 will almost always hit like leveled creatures, and with the proper amount of lore training (25 ranks - Religion), you'll be able to make things kneel 75 or 85% of the time, respectively to 15, and 30. It does often take a few hits to kill things, but when they're kneeling on the ground, it doesn't take many. The drawback to this at this point is at level 35 you'll more than likely not have more than 115 mana or so, depending on your stats. That's not a lot of casts of either. However, fighting like leveled creatures I usually don't need to use them, and uphunting significantly it takes a lot fewer kills to fry. By 50 or so I'll have a significant enough mana pool to sustain fairly normal use though, I estimate.

Initially I was blunt and board. I found it took five or six hits to kill things too often, so I switched to two handed at 29. If something survives two hits against me it's very lucky.

Moving on, your mstrike training is probably going to take a hit for now if you've already gotten it to 30 ranks. Realistically, most high level Paladins I've seen haven't really gotten a chance to fully 2x in CM or get 30 ranks of mstrike until later if they plan to use spells at all, and really, that's what a Paladin has over a warrior. If you're not gonna use the spells, why convert? The reason for this is not only so you can attain your level of spells, but so the important ones can hit. I mentioned before that your CS won't be a problem if you single in Paladin spells. You don't have to do that forever, but you can if you like. Some choose to go all the way 1xing it, but I've seen people have success staying at 40 ranks in Paladin spells, then maybe getting some spirit (You won't be able to cast these with your armor on, so don't plan on running around webbing things). You get a spell (1612) that'll give you +25 CS and is pretty easy to upkeep once you've got a decent mana pool, so keep that in mind.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that you probably won't be able to train 2x CM, Ambush, or mstrike a whole lot until you've finished armor training (150 ranks if you plan on plate, spells (Of the two near capped Paladin training plans I've seen, both were fairly close to 40 ranks of Paladin circle, and 20-25 ranks of Spirit.). Personally I'm going for 40 ranks of Paladin, 20 ranks of spirit, and then I'll judge at that point if I need the extra CS to decide whether to go on with Paladin circle. What that means is that you have a pretty decent TP sink going on between 2x armor and 1x spells until level 60 or 65, at which point you can choose to free up a lot of points for extra combat maneuvers, ambush, mstrike, et cetera if you want to. I don't know how viable that'd be before that. Can't speak from experience.

Anyway, I do enjoy being a Paladin, but it's not without sacrifices from warrior-like stuff. Below are my training and stats (placed for training points and growth together. If I ever make cap I'll place for growth alone, but to do that pre-cap means by level 100 I'd have given up 5 full levels worth of TPs).

Level 0 Stats for Jespin, Half-Elf Paladin

Strength (STR): 80
Constitution (CON): 31
Dexterity (DEX): 70
Agility (AGI): 70
Discipline (DIS): 23
Aura (AUR): 88
Logic (LOG): 93
Intuition (INT): 89
Wisdom (WIS): 91
Influence (INF): 25

Name: Jespin De'Maris Race: Half-Elf Profession: Paladin (shown as: Master Blacksmith)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 95 (22) ... 105 (27)
Constitution (CON): 56 (3) ... 56 (3)
Dexterity (DEX): 80 (20) ... 80 (20)
Agility (AGI): 80 (25) ... 80 (25)
Discipline (DIS): 50 (-5) ... 50 (-5)
Aura (AUR): 94 (22) ... 94 (22)
Logic (LOG): 96 (23) ... 96 (23)
Intuition (INT): 95 (22) ... 95 (22)
Wisdom (WIS): 100 (25) ... 110 (30)
Influence (INF): 50 (5) ... 50 (5)

Jespin (at level 31), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 170 70
Combat Maneuvers...................| 126 33
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 166 66
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 25 5
Physical Fitness...................| 126 33
Dodging............................| 126 33
Harness Power......................| 122 31
Spiritual Lore - Blessings.........| 58 12
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 86 19
Perception.........................| 54 11
Climbing...........................| 74 16
Swimming...........................| 74 16

Your spell lists:
Paladin Base......30

With a bit of care I can hunt the glacier or storm giants (Level 39) without issue, and have been able to since level 29. Spells aren't a must, but obviously the help a lot, and if you don't have blues, pass over the arctic titans unless you have mana to incapacitate them right away. Weaponfire sucks.

Anyway, hope this helps in making your decision easier. Oh, and one more thing. I assume you can trip with a lance, so going polearm is probably a good idea. Knockdown without mana is impossible for me right now, and it gets pretty annoying. You should be able to get to the lance minimum RT pretty easily if your agility and dexterity bonuses are high enough, also. Check out Krakiipedia on AGIDEX to make sure.