PDA

View Full Version : Working companion into macros

Carnivale
01-06-2009, 11:50 PM
On a lark, I threw 'Tell companion to attack' into all of my attack macros. I've found, however, that this is far less effective than I'd like it to be. Due to the newness of the spell, I can't figure out if it's just my companion's mediocre affinity, or if this is a genuinely bad idea because I'm simply irritating my companion with a steady stream of the same command.

Anyone incorporate their companion into macros with success?

thefarmer
01-06-2009, 11:52 PM
AC's work really slow so your 3-7 rt is faster than the animal can react to.

droit
01-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Companions are nearly useless in combat because of the extreme lag between command and action, and the poor logic of the command scripts. If you insist on keeping your companion with you, you're better off just having it follow you around on the off off off chance that it'll do something effective if you get stunned.

Sharnath
01-07-2009, 08:50 AM
I haven't called my companion in six months or so. While a decent RP tool, animal companions offer little else. My companion is at max affinity and still has enough lag to make him ineffective in any combat situation. On top of his uselessness he is also very belligerent. I was so excited to get my companion and get him to max affinity only to be very disappointed with the result. Maybe they will fix these one day to make them more than a novelty.

Sharnath
Weed Mage

Suppa Hobbit Mage
01-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Everyone else said it above, but I'm fully bonded and have never really effectively had my companion work in combat. Usually the mob is dead, or moved, or I'm dead before he does shit.

CrystalTears
01-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Companions work better when you stay in the same room and the mobs keep coming in. You don't have to keep asking him to attack, he just does, and the initial lag is no longer an issue.

I don't rely on my companion for attacks, but once in a while those hamstring stuns are cool.

B2
01-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Companions work better when you stay in the same room and the mobs keep coming in. You don't have to keep asking him to attack, he just does, and the initial lag is no longer an issue.

I don't rely on my companion for attacks, but once in a while those hamstring stuns are cool.

I do this, but I really wish that they would skip things once their dead.

It's usually...

Tell companion to attack

Hide, ambush leg.

Hide, ambush eye.

Crow pecks at the first thing.

Hide, ambush leg.

Hide, ambush eye.

Crow pecks at the second thing.

GOD DAMMIT CROW, I ALREADY GOT THAT ONE.

Tumbleweed and Call Swarm make better hunting companions.

droit
01-07-2009, 02:24 PM
:yeahthat: When I warcamp, I generally stay in the first room by the path and ambush things from hiding. Even then, with no movement whatsoever, the logic behind the companion attack scripts fails entirely.

Drew
01-07-2009, 03:40 PM
I like my companion but as people said, it's pretty useless.

I'm always up for trying interesting strategies though, when my char was like level 42 I would hunt seekers (lvl 52) using my companion. When I saw a seeker tell comp to attack, cast mass calm, wait about 20 seconds, comp stuns seeker, I can actually hit it.

Now I just keep my comp with me on the off chance it can help, but I enjoy the RP aspect of it.