PDA

View Full Version : A day in the life of a PRO Leader

Izalude
02-04-2004, 01:29 PM
I know how many of you feel about PRO's as a whole. I know that the general consensus is that they're not worth the time and effort. But, have you ever been the leader of a PRO or have you experienced what it's like first hand? I've been debating posting this ever since Atheana made her hate thread about me... but someone today renewed my desire to post this.

Today, I get an IM from someone who I haven't spoken with in 6 months or so, who was actually kicked out of the group as I remember, asking me to come hunt down Grabbs and kill him because 7 blue crystals and 5 white crystals were stolen from him. Some Members in a group seem to think that being part of that group gives them the right to pick a fight with anybody, thinking the whole group will come and back them up.

Here are some IM's I received over the past few months:
"so ya givin xxxxx wine and not me? ya know, I thougt we were cool, but noooooo, you go behind me givin wine to other people, what am I gong to do with you?"

I gave a friend of mine in the group a glass of dark red Ardenai wine, and this guy got all upset the next day.

"Did I do enough to earn a citation pin???"

I have citation pins that get handed out when someone distinguishes themselves in the organization. These are NOT handed out lightly... I have one for dedication, team spirit, distinction in combat, and high distinction in combat. In total, I've handed out 3 for dedication, 7 for team spirit, 5 for distinction in combat, and 2 for high distinction in combat. This person would harass me every other day during the Jant war begging me for one. Needless to say he never earned it.

It wasn't until a certain person's explosion on the boards back in July that I decided to save all the childish IM's I receive, just to give some of you an idea on what PRO leaders go through. I don't envy Elrodin or Jolena, who have taken over ATK in my stead.

Bobmuhthol
02-04-2004, 01:32 PM
As a PRO leader, I can honestly say, hahahaha.

There are ~18 members of House Benevolence. I don't speak to any of them regularly, nor have any actually contributed to it.

Latrinsorm
02-04-2004, 01:33 PM
Leadership isn't easy.

<--- Shocked.

Wezas
02-04-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Izalude
asking me to come hunt down Grabbs and kill him because 7 blue crystals and 5 white crystals were stolen from him.

Good to know Grabbs is still stealing.

StrayRogue
02-04-2004, 01:37 PM
Kev, from my experiences with you, you are most definately not only an inspiring member of the GS community, but a great leader and person. However, one of the negative sides of being a leader is having to put up with weak little people who can't get their own head out of their arses. Its a shame that you've had to give over your RPO to people (one of whom I don't have much confidence in), and and I'm even more displeased that people still IM you being whiny bitches, but dude, dont let it put you off; you add a great element to Elanthia (even if you're not in it much these days too ;) )

Anebriated
02-04-2004, 01:39 PM
For as many times as something like that happens, there are 3 events that make you proud to be the leader. I speant alot of time as second in command, and now the leader of the group, but i dont regret any of it. These people will always be around, whether it be a friend or a member of the PRO. Its hard work, you have to deal with alot of criticism and make choices that will benefit some and hurt others, but overall its definately worth it. We are just waiting for you to return.

LilHellcat
02-04-2004, 02:34 PM
I never realized how hard it was until I married a Pro leader in game *coughs coughs* I admire you for your work and all the time you put into it. You contribute so much to Gemstone in general and to those who know you.

Being beside someone and seeing how it is first hand I know its hard and I could never and fully admit handle the responsibility to do something such as that. It just makes me respect people like that even more.

Don't let a few assholes get in the way of you doing what your doing and being good at it. You are wonderful at it and you know I know this firsthand.

As Elrodin posted, yes some bad things have happened but I've seen so many more things that have come along and made up tenfold for those bad things. Its not an easy job and anyone who says differently obviously has no clue and has never done it themselves.

We are waiting for your return and though I haven't been around as much as I should (I know I'm fired ) . We do miss your presence and you just generally being around alot.

<3
~Amber

Galleazzo
02-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Being a leader is tough. You have to deal with a lot of pricks if you don't want to get tough with people. Me, I'd have a PRO that I could kick anyone out of for being a goober. Otherwise why bother.

Parkbandit
02-04-2004, 03:29 PM
So... how does he know Grabbs did it? ::whistle::

Grabbs gets all the fun.. :(

Soulpieced
02-04-2004, 03:44 PM
I can't stand Grabbs. Anyway, Nymka is the best thief ever :D

Galleazzo
02-04-2004, 04:27 PM
Grabbs is a whiny little mama's boy. If he'd nut up and stay in one town to take the heat that'd be one thing but he keeps moving around. Candor's got twice the sack he does, and man, that's a nasty thing to have to say.

Anebriated
02-04-2004, 04:52 PM
He knew because grabbs stole them all and then proceeded to tell him that he did. He asked if he had any and then said of course you dont, i just stole them all. or something to that effect. I got the same IM that Izalude got.

Edaarin
02-04-2004, 05:19 PM
Grabbs gets the job done. Pisses people off, gets a little richer. I don't always agree with the way he antagonizes people, but you can't blame him for ever logging or doing stupid OOC shit.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
02-04-2004, 06:49 PM
Sagan was the best thief I can recall, pre-changes when you could shotgun some for like 10k in 10 seconds.

and he backed it up when called on it.

Course, he was a high level and could, so I guess its all perspective.

Galleazzo
02-05-2004, 09:37 AM
Yeah, Jesh was the same. I never had a beef with him, but man was he a SOB to folks he didn't like. Thieves had more stones back then.

Latrinsorm
02-05-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Galleazzo
Thieves had more stones back then. And apples tasted better, and women were prettier.

pennywise
02-05-2004, 11:26 AM
Grabbs' problem is that he has no style, no flair, and no sense of what it is to be a thief.

Parkbandit
02-05-2004, 11:33 AM
I've only interacted with Grabbs the one time... in which I caught him stealing from Falgrin.. so Falgrin dragged him outside and proceeded to delimb him.

I saw no indication at that time that he couldn't roleplay. Style and Flair are not a necessary component of roleplaying in my book.

The problem with some people is that they denote ability to roleplay as someone who is nice to everyone and never does anything bad. I've been told on many occasions that Falgrin is an asshole and that I can't roleplay him for anything... typically from folks I completely clean out.

Parkbandit
02-05-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Soulpieced
I can't stand Grabbs. Anyway, Nymka is the best thief ever :D

Absolutely one of my favorite as well. I had a blast playing with him and his other character.

Galleazzo
02-05-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by ParkbanditI saw no indication at that time that he couldn't roleplay. Style and Flair are not a necessary component of roleplaying in my book.
So what is? If you don't got style or flair, all you're doing is using GS for a chatroom, really.

Latrinsorm
02-05-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Galleazzo
So what is? If you don't got style or flair, all you're doing is using GS for a chatroom, really. So you don't consider someone playing a thug or a cretin (on purpose) roleplaying? Everyone has to be pretty and polished?

Warriorbird
02-05-2004, 02:48 PM
:shrugs: I have no problem with Grabbs... other than him logging to get out of conflict. He's fun to interact with, and RPs. He seems honestly pretty young, but isn't a moron to Warclaidhm's level.

Galleazzo
02-05-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by LatrinsormSo you don't consider someone playing a thug or a cretin (on purpose) roleplaying? Everyone has to be pretty and polished?
I'm saying it takes no skill. "Yeah, wanna take it outside the gates?" Boy, thet there is snappy repartee.

Playing a cretin, mebbe. It does take work to play slowminded.

Betheny
02-05-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
As a PRO leader, I can honestly say, hahahaha.

There are ~18 members of House Benevolence. I don't speak to any of them regularly, nor have any actually contributed to it.

Hey, I kicked Calean out. That's a contribution if I do say so myself.

Betheny
02-05-2004, 05:32 PM
I'll also have you know that one of the most annoying, childish, stupid, hateful characters I've ever known is played by a very intelligent person near my own age. Never, ever thought I'd say that about Allanor.

Amaron
02-05-2004, 06:34 PM
Being a PRO leader can be hard... I know as well...

I love my PRO.

They are hard workers. And we have a good relationship...

But I do not know it all.... and I hate when there is a disagreement I have to settle...

doesn't happen often...thank goodness

My main is just a lil gal who likes to help folks and have fun....

Galleazzo
02-06-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Maimara
I'll also have you know that one of the most annoying, childish, stupid, hateful characters I've ever known is played by a very intelligent person near my own age. Never, ever thought I'd say that about Allanor.
Hey, you can be smart, a swell fellow, president of the parish board, make a mint on the stock market and have pearly white teeth, and still suck rocks as a roleplayer. It don't necessarily follow.