PDA

View Full Version : Return of an Elven MHO?

Nilandia
01-02-2009, 02:38 AM
After a series of discussions with Zuie, it's been suggested on numerous occasions to bring back the Vaalin Consortium as an organization to celebrate all aspects of Elven culture. I'm curious if there is any interest in bringing it back in whatever form. The charter will most likely be rewritten, so almost everything is up for debate, including membership and leadership structure.

In essence, is there still interest in a group to explore Elven culture?

Gretchen

Methais
01-02-2009, 02:53 AM
http://www.anaitgames.com/wp-content/darth_vader_nooo1.jpg

iJin
01-02-2009, 03:02 AM
Personally, I think this is a wonderful idea. After have searching far and wide for a place for Elven RP, the Vaalin Consortium will have to be it. After talking with a couple of people about the group reformation, it seems there is a definite liking into seeing VC being built up again.

Nonetheless, we are hoping for the best.

thefarmer
01-02-2009, 04:02 AM
is it really that hard for elves to find rp?

Elvenlady
01-02-2009, 07:37 AM
Dependent upon its purpose and raison d'etre, I'd be interested. I've yet to find a house or organisation that suits my main.

Fallen
01-02-2009, 07:38 AM
Speaking from experience, unless one or both of you wants to live and breath promotion of the group, I wouldn't bother. Everyone else's passing interesting wont be enough to keep the group in any way prominent.

Drew
01-02-2009, 08:25 AM
Yeah you really need 1 or more people who are all out committed to making the group a success.

GSKynthelig
01-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Dependent upon its purpose and raison d'etre, I'd be interested. I've yet to find a house or organisation that suits my main.

This would pretty much be my feelings on it. However, I do need to state that being new to all things here that I am not sure what I would have to offer.

Nilandia
01-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Speaking from experience, unless one or both of you wants to live and breath promotion of the group, I wouldn't bother. Everyone else's passing interesting wont be enough to keep the group in any way prominent.
I can speak to that as well. But with Zuie bringing it up on several occasions as well as mentioning other people that would also be interested, I was curious if there is enough interest to bring it back.

Rohese and Kynthelig, the charter will probably be rewritten and if so, it will be a collaboration of all interested people. I'd be glad to get as many people's opinions as possible.

Gretchen

iJin
01-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Yeah you really need 1 or more people who are all out committed to making the group a success.

We are aware of that, really. Of course, I'll be helping out as much as I can, and Gretchen will be as well. Last night was a night full of pondering and planning, and everything thus far is coming out well.

Hopefully Gretchen will release more information soon.

Beguiler
01-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Our of curiosity, will this group be limited as to certain Elven Houses? Or would it include Dark Elves (generic, Faendryl, Dhe'nar). I'm assuming Half-elves would be ignored, as usual?

Baelog
01-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Wait wait wait, you mean the whole of GemStone isn't one big game that explores and celebrates the whole of Elven culture?

You sure?

Really?
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/South_Park/Images/kyle_broflovski_southpark.jpg

Really really?
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/5/59/200px-Kyle.svg.png

I could have sworn that 75% of GemStone was dedicated to Elves...

It's not?

You sure?

Positive?

I mean, can't you just hang around in Illistim or Vaalor to celebrate Elven culture and whatnot?

Do you actually have to form a MHO about something that is being celebrated in the entirety of GemStone?

iJin
01-02-2009, 01:45 PM
A purpose for a MHO is to bring a group of people together for similar interests and to embrace something as a group.

And as far as I know, Elven culture hasn't been embraced in its entirety the way VC wants to, so no.

Nilandia
01-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Of course you don't need an MHO to be able to explore Elven culture in the game. However, having an MHO provides very welcome structural support in the form of news items, criers and the like that would (hopefully) increase attendance, interest and membership. Through that, one might hope we would have a better exchange of ideas and stronger group, rather than simply individuals scattered around the game.

Gretchen

iJin
01-02-2009, 01:48 PM
:yeahthat:

CrystalTears
01-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Yeah that's kind of how I view it too, Baelog. Trying to have an MHO to just do what the elven nations does on a regular basis seems a bit like overkill.

Stunseed
01-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Yeah that's kind of how I view it too, Baelog. Trying to have an MHO to just do what the elven nations does on a regular basis seems a bit like overkill.

That's what I was going to say, just to be careful of your events that are scheduled.

Nilandia
01-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Yeah that's kind of how I view it too, Trying to hav an MHO to just do what the elven nations does on a regular basis seems a bit like overkill.
Actually, I'd disagree with that assessment. There are two cities that ostensibly are dedicated to the elves may seem like support, but my experience in both left me with the impression that most people had no clue of where they were, instead treating it like the Landing with a few restrictions they didn't have elsewhere. It's rather common for people to complain that elves are speaking their native language in their native land, for example, saying that Common was the language of the land. For the most part, you'd get a comment about 'stuck-up elves' and people would get right back to what they were doing.

Elves playing to their culture is actually quite rare.

Gretchen

CrystalTears
01-02-2009, 01:58 PM
It happens ALL the time in Vaalor. :shrug:

Nilandia
01-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Then perhaps we're seeing different things. I've been in Ta'Vaalor lately, and I haven't really seen it.

Gretchen

CrystalTears
01-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Granted I haven't been there in two months and can't imagine it changing that much, but it was nothing but elves, speaking in elven, talking down to anyone not elven, discussing elven anything, and so forth. Sure non-elves were all "omg stuck up elves" but really, it's an elven land and they shouldn't expect a big welcome sign.

An MHO like that will most likely turn into an Elven Fan Club than a haven for elven roleplay and information.

Actually I'd more inclined to support one of the other races for its own MHO. Elves aren't the end-all, be-all of Elanthia and celebrating the most common race of it is le boring.

Baelog
01-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Granted I haven't been there in two months and can't imagine it changing that much, but it was nothing but elves, speaking in elven, talking down to anyone not elven, discussing elven anything, and so forth. Sure non-elves were all "omg stuck up elves" but really, it's an elven land and they shouldn't expect a big welcome sign.

An MHO like that will most likely turn into an Elven Fan Club than a haven for elven roleplay and information.

Actually I'd more inclined to support one of the other races for its own MHO. Elves aren't the end-all, be-all of Elanthia and celebrating the most common race of it is le boring.

:yeahthat: X 200

petroglyph
01-02-2009, 02:39 PM
I'd be more interested in the return of House Chesylcha, but alas, if Lylia and Silvean couldn't get it off the ground, I doubt anyone else can.

iJin
01-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Actually, if you didn't notice. Ta'Vaalor has been ridden with alot of races but Elven. I see about five or four whenever I visit, the rest are Sylvans, Winged-People, Dwarfs, Half-Elfs, and Giantmen. Pretty much every other race, but Elven.

And even the people who are Elven, they don't really grasp the whole "Vaalorian" or "Ardenai" ..etc..culture for which they picked their characters to belong to. I know one thing that Gretchen will wish to accomplish with the VC, and that is to educate those who do have a culture, and who wish to embrace it, therefore in my opinion, making Elven roleplaying the way it really should be.

It's like when someone picks any deity to follow from the convert list, and yet when your character strikes up a conversation about said deity, they have no idea who they are or what the represent nor their history. It's just really blant and boring, to say the least. It gets very tiring.

CrystalTears
01-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Sounds more like wanting to teach people how to roleplay.

I would rather it be a generic culture awareness for any race if they wish to understand them better, and not limit it to just elves.

And honestly Zuie, I've never seen you be discriminate. If anything you're laughing, giggling, bouncing off anyone.

Nilandia
01-02-2009, 02:55 PM

Then it has changed that much in two months, unless you didn't frequent Victory Court. I haven't seen very much elven RP beyond merely speaking in Elven, which a lot of people can do. Actual elves (not dark elves, sylvans or half-elves) aren't that common, and most of the elves I've met don't RP their culture at all. In fact, I've done counts of races every so often, and elves consistently fall as the least numerous of the Elven races.

Gretchen

The Ponzzz
01-02-2009, 02:56 PM
I see the VC more as a high classed aristocrat society doing what scholarly elves would do.

It's kind of like how and why I joined GemStone to begin with. I was playing the open form RPGs in the chatroom on prodigy and AOL (Red Dragon Inn - //roll-dice2-sides20) and hated the no structure bit of it all. GemStone filled that openness with parameters.

CrystalTears
01-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Our of curiosity, will this group be limited as to certain Elven Houses? Or would it include Dark Elves (generic, Faendryl, Dhe'nar). I'm assuming Half-elves would be ignored, as usual?
By the sound of it, it would only be for "pure" elves. Don't need the rest of those dirty, half and mud bloods in there. :D

Nilandia
01-02-2009, 03:07 PM
By the sound of it, it would only be for "pure" elves. Don't need the rest of those dirty, half and mud bloods in there. :D
The focus would be on elven culture, as in, those of the five Houses. Whether membership would be extended to those of the other Elven races is up to the people who are interested in getting it started up again.

Gretchen

Baelog
01-02-2009, 03:08 PM
In fact, I've done counts of races every so often, and elves consistently fall as the least numerous of the Elven races.

Gretchen

Oh no, an Elf race is falling off in population, someone call Whatley!

Who race Elf - Total: 48
Who race Half-Elf - Total: 60
Who race Sylvan - Total: 33
Who race Dark Elf - Total: 78
Total Elf Race Count - 219

Hmm, that was done about 10 seconds ago...seems that Sylvans are the lest amount, not "Pure" Elves

Now lets see...

Who race Giantman - Total: 50
Who race Human - Total: 46
Who race Dwarf - Total: 19
Who race Halfling - Total: 24
Who race Forest Gnome - Total: 2
Who race Burghal Gnome - Total: 3
Who race Half-Krolvin - Total: 3
Who race Aelotoi - Total: 11
Who race Erithian - Total: 7
Total Non-Elf Race Count - 165

Elven Races make up 4 races of Elanthia, and there are still more of them than the other 9 races combined

Methais
01-02-2009, 03:22 PM
It's rather common for people to complain that elves are speaking their native language in their native land, for example, saying that Common was the language of the land.

Howcome newly rolled elves, at least the one that start in Ta'Vaalor, don't have their default language set to elven then instead of common?

[Elven Meeting Room]
You see a bunch of elven stuff all over the place.
Also here: Elf1, Elf2, Elf3, El4f, Elf5, Elf6, Elf7, Elf8, and Elf9.
Obvious exits: out

Elf1 says in Elven, "Hi everyone, thanks for coming! And now onto tonight's agenda..."

(Elf1 roleplays all over the place.)

(Elf2 follows suit and roleplays all over the place.)

(Elf3 follows suit and roleplays all over the place.)

(Elf4 follows suit and roleplays all over the place.)

(Elf5 follows suit and roleplays all over the place.)

Elf6 says in Elven, "I gotta go guys, I'm belled. Be back in a minute."

(Elf7 follows suit and roleplays all over the place.)

Elf6 just went out.

(Elf8 follows suit and roleplays all over the place.)

(Elf9 follows suit and roleplays all over the place.)

Elf6 just arrived.

(Elf6 roleplays all over the place.)

Elf1 says in Elven, "That does it for this week's meeting. Thanks for coming everybody!"

Elf1 just left.

Elf2 just left.

Elf3 just left.

Elf4 just left.

Elf5 just left.

Elf6 says in Elven, "I'm still fried."

Elf6 kneels down and begins to meditate.

Elf7 just left.

Elf8 just left.

Elf9 just left.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a162/DoyleHargraves/wowchatcomics4rpserversea1.jpg

iJin
01-02-2009, 03:27 PM

I would rather it be a generic culture awareness for any race if they wish to understand them better, and not limit it to just elves.

And honestly Zuie, I've never seen you be discriminate. If anything you're laughing, giggling, bouncing off anyone.

Frankly, if the group were to allow Dark Elves and Sylvans it'd be more interesting and yes, allow more people to be involved. But, Nilandia and I have spoken and there are a good amount of truth in race documents on play.net that will testify to Dark Elves not wanting a part of things such as this. But as Nilandia said, we'll be listening to what the members will want and go from there. If they want Dark Elves, then go ahead, Halfings? Well crap, alright. But will they honestly be that open? It's mind boggling.

And honestly Crystal Tears, you don't know my character well at all, so such assumptions aren't needed, so don't even try to insult.

CrystalTears
01-02-2009, 03:30 PM
I have eyes, Zuie. And you don't know my characters at all, plus you don't know who I've seen you interact as either. I'm just saying you're not so diehard to lead a group like this.

Baelog
01-02-2009, 03:32 PM
I want Dark Elves, because I think Faendryl R TEH HAWTSEX.

Fixed

Drew
01-02-2009, 03:45 PM
For how to play an elf see Menos.

Winter's Kiss
01-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Sure.. if you like the zealotness. But honestly, I don't see any actual Faendryl or Dhe'nar RPer going through with something like this just to get together with "Pure" elves and "hang out and RP" at all. My main barely spends time with anyone of the pure elven houses because of how many of them treat her culture.

And yeah, I'm with CT and Baelog on this. Sadly I see it turning out to be a Elven Fan Club more than a group of RPers. *shrugs*

kallindra
01-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Well... after reading all this, and really having no opinion on the character/people gathered... all I can say...

As a Sylvan, I have no interest in Elven culture... much rather explore my own than the elven houses... let alone deal with it...

DCSL
01-02-2009, 05:09 PM
For how to play an elf see Menos.

Repeated for emphasis. Classy and classic.

Seriously though, are you guys running so short of drama that you want to open up this bag of pointy-eared worms again? =\ Is there really that little to do in GS anymore?

thefarmer
01-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Is there really that little to do in GS anymore?

Yes

DCSL
01-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Yes

Ouch.

MotleyCrew
01-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Not to be discouraging, but if the VC couldn't pull it off, what makes you think you can?

Fallen
01-02-2009, 05:31 PM
There are other groups dedicated to the promotion of non-elven races. One of them is/was run by Nilandia for the Erithi. Another was for the Half-krolvin.

I can't honestly comment on the state of pure elven roleplaying in Ta'Vaalor, but I will say for a fact that there is little to none to be had in Ta'Illistim. What I will say about elven roleplay in general is while VAALORIAN elves are widely roleplayed by talented players I can't think of any other group that was as widely represented, aside from the Nalfein. If the VC were to return I would hope that they stayed clear of the racist aspect of the culture and instead explore other facets of the race as a whole.

Kitsun
01-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Like huge lesbian elven orgies?

Elvenlady
01-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Yes

:yeahthat:

Fallen
01-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Like huge lesbian elven orgies?

I said groups OTHER than the Nalfein, damn you.

DCSL
01-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Hey, there's a reason everyone wanted the Nalfein girls to come to their parties. They get drunk the easiest and get naked the fastest!

thefarmer
01-02-2009, 06:27 PM
And even the people who are Elven, they don't really grasp the whole "Vaalorian" or "Ardenai" ..etc..culture for which they picked their characters to belong to. I know one thing that Gretchen will wish to accomplish with the VC, and that is to educate those who do have a culture, and who wish to embrace it, therefore in my opinion, making Elven roleplaying the way it really should be.

It's like when someone picks any deity to follow from the convert list, and yet when your character strikes up a conversation about said deity, they have no idea who they are or what the represent nor their history. It's just really blant and boring, to say the least. It gets very tiring.

I haven't seen very much elven RP beyond merely speaking in Elven, which a lot of people can do. Actual elves (not dark elves, sylvans or half-elves) aren't that common, and most of the elves I've met don't RP their culture at all. In fact, I've done counts of races every so often, and elves consistently fall as the least numerous of the Elven races

I think just setting up a (continuous/monthly) Q&A session on how to RP your type of elf would be better, less hassle, and accomplish what I think it is you want to accomplish, which from what it looks like is to educate people on how to properly/decently rp a particular elf.

Then, maybe if there's enough interest you could consider taking on the hassle of a fullblown MHO.

Edit: Actually, Q&A classes on RP in general is something a good many people need. Excluding the people that don't care, I'm sure there are some that try, but haven't a clue or think their RP is teh uber but really blows (Rocksand, etc).

Baelog
01-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Hey, there's a reason everyone wanted the Nalfein girls to come to their parties. They get drunk the easiest and get naked the fastest!

So, the Nalfein are like all those college girls on Girls Gone Wild?

Damn, no wonder the Grishknel Wolf Clan started trading information with them...

Amaron
01-02-2009, 06:39 PM
I personally do not get what the issue is.

If a group of elves want to get a MHO going, have fun.

If you do not want to be involved, don't.

They were just asking to see who was interested.

Have fun with your MHO. If it gets off the ground and people have fun rping then great, it serves its purpose.

J

DCSL
01-02-2009, 08:10 PM
So, the Nalfein are like all those college girls on Girls Gone Wild?

Damn, no wonder the Grishknel Wolf Clan started trading information with them...

The Nalfein are the party House. Like SUNY-Albany or CU-Boulder or UT-Austin. The Illistim are like Brigham Young. Although I bet the Ardenai have the equivalent of cornfield raves.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
01-02-2009, 11:15 PM
I say if you're gonna do it, just do it.

Obviously some people are gonna hate the idea, some will love it. If it's meant to be, it'll be. If not.. oh well.

ViridianAsp
01-03-2009, 12:43 PM
I say if you're gonna do it, just do it.

Obviously some people are gonna hate the idea, some will love it. If it's meant to be, it'll be. If not.. oh well.

Have to agree with this, people will either love it or hate it. Being I have elves, I don't think a group promoting the pure elf ideal should include the dark elf cultures or Sylvankind.

Other than that, I think you guys should start it up again. It would be nice to have people really roleplay. I see next to none in Vaalor.

Methais
01-03-2009, 11:44 PM
I think Dark Elves should form a supremist group called the Dark Panthers.

Euler
01-03-2009, 11:54 PM
I think Dark Elves should form a supremist group called the Dark Panthers.

http://unfit2print.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/samuel_l_jackson_1.jpg

by any means necessary

Ausek
01-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Honestly, as a Sylvan player, I have to agree that Sylvans shouldn't be included in the VC. I'd love to have an active place to play Sylvan heritage, but...that isn't the place.

Hips
01-04-2009, 01:16 AM
I'd love to have an active place to play Sylvan heritage

You should look into House Sylvanfair.

Amaron
01-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Michi! You are alive.

hugs

CrystalTears
01-04-2009, 11:22 AM
You should look into House Sylvanfair.
The house isn't sylvan nor does it put any specific emphasis on sylvans.

There ARE active sylvans members, but I just wanted to make sure that people know that it's not specifically a sylvan house.

Methais
01-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Why'd they call it Sylvanfair then?

Gnomad
01-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Have to agree with this, people will either love it or hate it. Being I have elves, I don't think a group promoting the pure elf ideal should include the dark elf cultures or Sylvankind.

Other than that, I think you guys should start it up again. It would be nice to have people really roleplay. I see next to none in Vaalor.Agreed with all of this. My Vaalor elf wouldn't want to be part of a group promoting "elven society" that allows dark elves. That's some namby-pamby liberal BS that he is not down with.

Kitsun
01-04-2009, 12:12 PM

Sylvan lesbian orgies...

Martaigne
01-04-2009, 12:21 PM

syl⋅van
   /ˈsɪlvən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [sil-vuhn]
–adjective
1. of, pertaining to, or inhabiting the woods.
2. consisting of or abounding in woods or trees; wooded; woody: a shady, sylvan glade.
3. made of trees, branches, boughs, etc.

Methais
01-04-2009, 12:25 PM
syl⋅van
   /ˈsɪlvən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [sil-vuhn]
–adjective
1. of, pertaining to, or inhabiting the woods.
2. consisting of or abounding in woods or trees; wooded; woody: a shady, sylvan glade.
3. made of trees, branches, boughs, etc.

Makes sense, since Sylvans are wood-elves. Which means they just walk around with boners all day. Even the females.

Stretch
01-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Who race Forest Gnome - Total: 2
Who race Burghal Gnome - Total: 3

lulz, what kind of dipshit would roll a burghal gnome

LadyLaphrael
01-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Which means they just walk around with boners all day. Even the females.

In a vice, or under a pointed heel. That's how I like to run things.

Elvenlady
01-04-2009, 01:46 PM

Now you've sparked my interest ...

CrystalTears
01-04-2009, 02:01 PM
:heart:

GSKynthelig
01-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Now you've sparked my interest ...

Mine too...or at least I think that is interest...

corimul
01-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Live will detect them if they are turned on. Most chips have a mechanism to detect when going online and automatically turn itself off. But there isn't any way to play backup copies online. Live will detect the chip if its on. When the Xbox 360 goes online it becomes easy for MS to detect if its using a mod chip and ban you.

iJin
01-04-2009, 10:10 PM
O rly?

LadyLaphrael
01-04-2009, 11:25 PM
O rly?

Clearly the bot picked up its reference of being "turned on" from all this Sylvanboner discussion. The lack of playing with "backup copies" refers to the fact that once boner-viced, it's very difficult to regain that feeling of masculinity.

XBox 360? Well, the less I say about how that reference comes up from "hot Sylvan women," the better. But, I can reference you to the "Spinners" thread as necessary.

iJin
01-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Hahahahahahahahahhahahhaa!!!!

Oh my god, I just spilled my fucking drink