PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Servant

Taernath
07-15-2003, 06:18 PM
Just a short log of it in action. Basically all they do is LK you if you die, then go to find help, or carry small items for you. They have a lot of different descriptions... one of the ones I summoned was 'a goofy astral spirit'.

-------------------------
>prep 218
You trace a sign while petitioning the spirits to bestow their aid with the Spirit Servant spell...
Your spell is ready.
>cast
You gesture.
A bright pulse of soft energy moves away from your hands and beckons a spirit to your aid...

A mischievous wood spirit begins to take corporeal form before your eyes.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
(Forcing stance down to guarded)

>l spirit
The wood spirit resembles nothing more exotic than a walking tree at first glance, with long bark-clad limbs and a head of leafy "hair." Yet, its form has a lingering ethereal quality to it, and when it floats, the leaves about its head and body shiver delicately in the air. A fine verdigris moss clings to the spirit, speckling its trunk and shrouding its cooly glowing eyes.

A zombie's eyes flash bright red!
A zombie tries to bite you!
AS: +195 vs DS: +60 with AvD: +24 + d100 roll: +31 = +190
... and hits for 51 points of damage!
Attack punctures the eye and connects with something really vital!
Your sense of faith and conviction wanes.
The buzz of thoughts in your mind subsides.
The dim aura fades from around you.
The powerful look leaves you.
A white glow rushes away from you.
The deep blue glow leaves you.
You suddenly feel less protected.
You feel less confident.
The brilliant aura fades away from you.
The light blue glow leaves you.

It seems you have died, my friend. Although you cannot do anything, you are keenly aware of what is going on around you...

You mentally give a sigh of relief as you remember that the Goddess Lorminstra owes you a favor.

...departing in 13 mins...

The zombie moans a wail of victory!

Your wood spirit hovers over towards you and lands by your feet. It carefully rips four leaves off its own foilage and places them on the four corners of your body. The leaves begin to glow in succession until they're all giving off a bright green light. Slowly, the light begins to seep into your body and fills your being with a sense of transquility. The glow fades and the spirit takes flight once again.

A mischievous wood spirit flits out of the room quickly.

(after a healme)

A mischievous wood spirit floats in, following you.

You sense that your wood spirit will not be able to hold corporeal form much longer.
-----------------------

They don't last too long.

[Edited on 7/15/03 by Taernath]

Bobmuhthol
07-15-2003, 06:20 PM
Now that is nice.

Taernath
07-15-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
Now that is nice.

It's not that great. You can't interact with it at all (it's "moving about too quickly" or something), and if you're in Voln you can already preserve/need.

I hope they add some RP features and actions to it.

[Edited on 7/15/03 by Taernath]

Zanagodly
07-15-2003, 09:59 PM
Actually its very nice, a COL cleric is now capable of lk'ing themselves. That is a huge bonus. How long does the servant last, and how long does its lk last?

Betheny
07-16-2003, 01:16 AM
Word on the grapevine says that the LK duration is based on your ranks in spiritual lore > summoning.

My cleric is 52 trains, and had, I think, 26 ranks in summoning, and her life keep lasted 10 minutes or so.

Taernath
07-16-2003, 12:30 PM
I *think* it lasts indefinitely until you die, then after it LK's you and you're raised, it starts fading when roughly 5 minutes have passed.

Zanagodly
07-16-2003, 04:03 PM
so in other words, it can continue to lk you if your keep runs out and you are still dead?

Betheny
07-18-2003, 04:07 AM
A friend of mine sign of hopelessnessed, and his spirit servant LK'd him before he could decay.

Bug, or feature?

Pray for feature. Mmm. No more spirit deaths!

Red Devil
07-19-2003, 03:51 AM
Are you serious? that ruins the whole risk vs reward, get real!

Betheny
07-19-2003, 04:23 AM
The bug is real, my sarcasm on praying for it to be a feature was also real.

Riicko
07-22-2003, 02:15 AM
Playing as a Cleric, I wanted to see if I could...
A) Get arrested
B) See how much of a fine I could get before being arrested
C) See if I could add "Jail break" to the list of crimes.

This is what happened in the cell.

>sign hopelessnessThe power from your sign dissipates into the air.
You feel drained!
>sign hopelessnessThe power from your sign dissipates into the air.

The last of your life force is drained from you and you die!

It seems you have died, my friend. Although you cannot do anything, you are keenly aware of what is going on around you...

You mentally give a sigh of relief as you remember that the Goddess Lorminstra owes you a favor.

Your dune spirit dematerializes into a fiercly hot tempest of wind and sand that whirls over towards your body. The spirit lifts your corpse into its vortex where your body hovers for several seconds. A hot wind caresses your face before the spirit sets you back down, leaving a sense of lingering warmth.

Note, I did not go instantly to the Temple. Why? Because my spirit was quick enough to LK me as I died. I could not decay. Though, after my fourth attempt I did decay. I think my servant had almost run his time limit.

Betheny
07-22-2003, 02:21 AM
Did you ever figure out how to make runes and all of that? I haven't finished reallocating to go in and try.

So lazy.

Riicko
07-22-2003, 02:25 AM
I do not know how to make runes. I just know that you can pick your servant based off of which rune you hold.

Steps:
A) Choose the rune you like.
B) Hold it in your right hand.
C) Prep 218
D) Cast

And the spirit type of the rune will appear. The descriptive word (grumpy, angry, anxious) will still be random, but the type (solar, lava, dune, etc.) will be the rune type. Nice thing to know for those who do not like the idea of having "a moody luck spirit" or something to the effect of that.

Adhara
07-31-2003, 12:14 AM
Here are the adjectives and types of spirits I have noted so far:

agitated
artful
belligerent
bereaved
capricious
cheery
coy
deceptive
despondent
distressed
elated
exultant
fickle
fluctuant
happy
insouciant
irritable
jumpy
lighthearted
lively
lonely
marsh spirit
persnickety
quirky
rambunctious
restive
roguish
skittish
sullen
tearful
touchy
unstable
variable
volatile
wayward

astral
badland
bog
cavern
celestial
crevasse
desert
dune
island
lake
lavaflow
luck
solar
spring
sun
sunburst
swamp
taiga
tidal
tropical
volcano
will-o-wisp
wood
river

I am currently testing the new 208. I have pretty good data on the spell difficulty and a tentative formula that calculates it. I now work on determining what influences the "rune strength" (your stealing power). I can tell you that there is no random roll in the stealing, it's basically:

Rune Strength - Spell difficulty = X

If X is positive you succeed in stealing; if X is negative you suffer a pretty bad stun and nerve damage.

Rune strength doesn't vary depending on the number of casts you steal, it also appears to remain the same no matter what circle you steal from (that remains to be validated). I can also say that Arcane Symbols (scroll) training has NO influence on the rune strength. Of course this could be a bug...

More to come. My findings on 208 are being delayed by the faire but when I have sufficient data I will post my results under a new thread.

Artha
07-31-2003, 04:00 PM
There's more stuff to come for them.