PDA

View Full Version : Pure Paladin

Sile
01-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Was wondering if anyone here has pulled one off. I''m mid 50's now, but just been brainstorming alternate builds.

Only problem I forsee is mana, can 2x harness power and have a pretty decent build, just not sure if its viable.

Also have anyone ever tried a rune staff type build for paladin.

Jaimaltz
01-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Was wondering if anyone here has pulled one off. I''m mid 50's now, but just been brainstorming alternate builds.

Only problem I forsee is mana, can 2x harness power and have a pretty decent build, just not sure if its viable.

Also have anyone ever tried a rune staff type build for paladin.

Biggest problem is spells to kill things with. 1615 is more of a setup spell, and doesn't crit nearly often enough to rely on it. I could see going heavy magic and finishing things off with a weapon, but pure would be difficult to pull off. That's a lot of mana per kill, and paladins don't have any mana stealing spells like leech or 1013. Maybe a dwarf in the council with a lot of spirit recovery enhancives could pull it off, but I see little point when a pure anything else (aside from warriors and rogues) would work a lot better.

Izzy
01-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Biggest problem is spells to kill things with. 1615 is more of a setup spell, and doesn't crit nearly often enough to rely on it. I could see going heavy magic and finishing things off with a weapon, but pure would be difficult to pull off. That's a lot of mana per kill, and paladins don't have any mana stealing spells like leech or 1013. Maybe a dwarf in the council with a lot of spirit recovery enhancives could pull it off, but I see little point when a pure anything else (aside from warriors and rogues) would work a lot better.

Another problem I see is lack of variety for attack spells. You have 2, plain and simple, both of which are mana-intensive. With lightning crits, my paladin does ok on crit-kills with his 1615..but that limits hunting grounds to some degree, and you have to be converted to a specific deity. Not to mention that even with a high-crit damage type (lightning), it's nowhere near the crit rate you need as a pure.

All in all, why would you do it? If you want to be a pure, roll a pure class, mang. Or at least one of the magical semis. If you want to wtfpwn with high-ass AS and plate armor, play your pally.

TheLastShamurai
01-03-2009, 09:35 PM
it isn't even viable in my opinion (especially pre-cap). the 1600's just aren't meant to do that. and even if we could 2x in spell aiming and use the fuck out of fire spirit, the points that would be required (at current cost) to 2x in spell aiming wouldn't leave enough points left over to get the 8x magic per level to get the bonus from runestalves.

jinsem said something about having a pure paladin. i haven't seen the build, but im pretty sure it: 1) sucks compared to its peers and 2) was made for shits and giggles or for the challenge of it.

Izzy
01-03-2009, 10:37 PM
it isn't even viable in my opinion (especially pre-cap). the 1600's just aren't meant to do that. and even if we could 2x in spell aiming and use the fuck out of fire spirit, the points that would be required (at current cost) to 2x in spell aiming wouldn't leave enough points left over to get the 8x magic per level to get the bonus from runestalves.

jinsem said something about having a pure paladin. i haven't seen the build, but im pretty sure it: 1) sucks compared to its peers and 2) was made for shits and giggles or for the challenge of it.

Pure doesn't mean using a runestaff. It just means using spells as a primary attack method. The only spells a "pure" paladin would be using are 1615 and 1630.

TheLastShamurai
01-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Pure doesn't mean using a runestaff. It just means using spells as a primary attack method. The only spells a "pure" paladin would be using are 1615 and 1630.

that wasn't what i was trying to imply. so allow me to clarify...

i don't think our spells were even remotely meant for it.

but neither could we use fire spirit because we cannot 2x in spell aiming. i could be wrong about this, MOC might help make us some of the difference, but im not familiar with the AS mechanics behind the spell. either way you would be draining points and getting nothing good out of it.

if you were to use runestalves (assuming we have the points to 8x in magic) you would have to fixskills to it later on after you got to judgement. kind of like how pure bards convert over, except a pure paladin would suck.

in any case, its a silly concept for us.