PDA

View Full Version : Wired bitch-slaps HJ

Deathravin
12-29-2008, 05:15 PM
http://www.wired.com/culture/culturereviews/news/2008/12/YE8_vaporware?currentPage=1

Duke Nukem had better watch his back. This graphical MMOG — made by Simutronics, the people behind cult fave MUDs like Gemstone IV and DragonRealms -- has been in the works for almost a decade. Hero's Journey's promise of an open game world that responds to player decisions earned raves at the gaming trade show E3. That is, it earned raves at E3 2005. The official FAQ claims that the game is "actively in production and does not have a set release date."

The hold-up seems to be that development focus has shifted from the game itself to its engine, HeroEngine, which Simutronics has licensed out. Bioware is using it to power its upcoming Star Wars: The Old Republic.

As reader Kuro suggests, "If Old Republic gets released before Hero's Journey, that will probably be the final nail in the game's vaporware coffin."

#8 on the 2008 vaporware list of DOOM...

OOOh, ouch Simu, that's gotta hurt!

Back
12-29-2008, 05:21 PM
From a marketing perspective I think its smart for Simu to sell a gaming engine instead of trying to compete with other MMORPGs or trying to bolster subscriptions to their ancient MUDs.

Deathravin
12-29-2008, 05:27 PM
yes, but put a large portion of the revenue for the license into hiring (not just free workers but hiring) people for HJ as well (might as well hire for the Muds while you're at it to keep your base happy).

Instead of pulling every available resource from the game onto the engine, use the money from the engine sales to hire more for the engine and the game. That way they'd have something to show their potential licensees other than a 1/10th finished game.

Bottom line is they don't even know if the engine will stand up to 200, 2000, 20000, 200000 people across the world playing on it simultaniously. What would Bioware do if there isn't cost-effective server and network technology available? Sue Simu, then Simu dies.

Danical
12-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Licensing it to Bioware was a hell of a lot better decision than starting HJ.

Sean of the Thread
12-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Truth

Warriorbird
12-29-2008, 06:33 PM
I just pity the people who are still steadfastly convinced that this game is actually going to come out.

Methais
12-29-2008, 06:33 PM
From a marketing perspective I think its smart for Simu to sell a gaming engine instead of trying to compete with other MMORPGs or trying to bolster subscriptions to their ancient MUDs.

That's fine, but they need to stop acting like HJ is still coming out.

Makkah
12-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Yea, voting on this actually started early last month. I voted for HJ, and I know a lot of people through fan-sites that did the same. I'm honestly surprised it only got 8th.

Sean of the Thread
12-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Shit it's almost sad that I'm hoping KOTOR online will be a block buster knowing simu has something to do with it. They sure have a way of fucking shit up.

Senglent
12-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Another Sad fact brought to you by Simu :(

Least they are making money of off Hero Engine if not Hero's journey

thefarmer
12-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Yea, voting on this actually started early last month. I voted for HJ, and I know a lot of people through fan-sites that did the same. I'm honestly surprised it only got 8th.

The fact it even showed up in a reader based poll surprises me. I guess Simu still has a (bad) presence in the active gaming community.

Makkah
12-29-2008, 06:55 PM
Well the original poll was open-ended. You had to email them with what game, why, comments, etc. So write-in.

Back
12-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Another Sad fact brought to you by Simu :(

Least they are making money of off Hero Engine if not Hero's journey

Exactly the point.

It is a business like any other. Where do the profits come from?

A cult base, as Wired put it, or in the future of gaming?

Apathy
12-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Exactly the point.

It is a business like any other. Where do the profits come from?

A cult base, as Wired put it, or in the future of gaming?

The future of gaming?

http://content8.flixster.com/question/43/25/72/4325722_std.jpg

Numbers
12-29-2008, 07:46 PM
And what happens when the engine becomes obsolete in two years?

Makkah
12-29-2008, 08:35 PM
And what happens when the engine becomes obsolete in two years?

Whatley's still a rich fucker?

From what I hear, the engine is good enough that little things can be replaced/updated but it won't truly be obsolete for a while. Also... if Old Republic is a smashing success, Simu can just dickride that for as long as it is successful.

Warriorbird
12-29-2008, 08:39 PM
Whatley will just convince a new bunch of suckers to write an engine for him for nearly free. Like it or not... he has a knack for that kind of thing.

Sean of the Thread
12-29-2008, 08:53 PM
The future of gaming?

Grandma's Boy. You win /thread

I wish I still had it on the tivo but they swapped boxes.

Rathgar
12-30-2008, 11:30 AM
Game won't come out, not in the mass market WoW style anyway.

What they'll do is get enough volunteers to work on the game and if eventually these freebie workers manage to hash out a reasonable game world they may release it to Simu junkies read as: people who play GS/DR. The game might get a small cult following. But it'll become a niche game w/ people paying 30 bucks or so, did I mention they will be doing tiered pricing?

But who cares? No expenses + Small revenue relative to industry == Still BIG profit.

CrystalTears
12-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Simu just can't compete in the graphical MMOG market. It would mean matching the pricing to what is the norm, and I just don't see them going for that. Nor do I see them being generous to their loyal player base and offer reasonable bundled packages for playing more than one game.

Deathravin
12-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Well I think it will eventually be completed. I think when it finally is ready, Simu will advertise their little butts off and there will be a decent following.

If they make the game properly that is.

I really think that this new vaporware listing is going to light the executives up and make them realize they can't keep ignoring this game.

Numbers
12-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Speaking of graphical Simu games... does Cyberstrike still exist? Do people even still play that?

I remember when Cyberstrike 2 came out, and there was a huge outroar about it requiring a 3D accelerator.

Deathravin
12-30-2008, 01:41 PM
As of this post.

There are 306 potential critter snacks in GemStone 4 (and 15 more in Platinum)
There are also 415 in DR (plus 10 in Plat and 42 in The Fallen ), 8 in MO , 3 in HX , and 2 in CS2.

So 2 whole people playing CS2 right now.

www.tsoran.com has had the player count for years. I know a bunch of other sites have it too, but not all have all the games.

Parkbandit
12-30-2008, 01:44 PM
The 15 players in Platinum is just as funny imo.

Methais
12-30-2008, 03:22 PM
The future of gaming?

http://bp3.blogger.com/_CFTAPmd9GRA/Ry_JoM7ukFI/AAAAAAAAADU/pEuoPbdx3Fc/s400/power_glove.jpg

I really think that this new vaporware listing is going to light the executives up and make them realize they can't keep ignoring this game.

Lol @ anything in the world making Simu executives wake up and realize anything. Stop being delusional.

Tea & Strumpets
12-30-2008, 05:06 PM
http://bp3.blogger.com/_CFTAPmd9GRA/Ry_JoM7ukFI/AAAAAAAAADU/pEuoPbdx3Fc/s400/power_glove.jpg

Lol @ anything in the world making Simu executives wake up and realize anything. Stop being delusional.

The CEO of Simutronics receives nearly four times the salary of the GM's (obviously all salaries are paid in alteration points).

LadyLaphrael
12-30-2008, 10:17 PM
I have nothing to add except that I love Lucas Barton and his Power Glove.

They're so bad.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
12-31-2008, 01:19 AM

The truly sad part of that, unless something has changed since I was GMing, is that equal staff hours are spent there for planned events. What a fucking tremendous waste of resource.

Parkbandit
12-31-2008, 09:13 AM
The truly sad part of that, unless something has changed since I was GMing, is that equal staff hours are spent there for planned events. What a fucking tremendous waste of resource.

Well they pay more, they deserve more.

You selfish bastard.

Fallen
12-31-2008, 09:37 AM
I believe the number of active people in plat spikes to reasonable levels during events. Don't quote me on that, though. Any plat characters care to comment on the state of things there? Looking back, did Khaladon leaving have much of a lasting effect on the plat player base?

The Ponzzz
12-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Bah, mother fuckers. Plat has anywhere between 30-40 people active at most times (not in the morning or late evening). During pay events, we hit about 80-110.

Daniel
12-31-2008, 01:04 PM
Well I think it will eventually be completed. I think when it finally is ready, Simu will advertise their little butts off and there will be a decent following.

If they make the game properly that is.

Lol.

Deathravin
01-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Lol.

Okay. Well, I'll change it to "I hope" from "I think" Because honestly I think this game is boned, but I have hope I'll be able to play it in my lifetime.

Mathari
01-05-2009, 08:08 PM
For what it's worth, I submitted an idea to feedback recently and the response I got was that the idea is already being worked on "as part of an expansion to the system for dealing with Hero's Journey" and so is a "not yet, but is coming" situation. That either means that Hero's Journey really is still coming out, or, on the other hand, that my idea will never be implemented. :)

Makkah
01-05-2009, 08:16 PM
What was your idea?

Mathari
01-05-2009, 08:40 PM
What was your idea?
Something pretty minor and not related to in-game issues at all, so it's not very exciting. Basically, I suggested that they allow for reactivation of characters on an account via the website, just as they allow for character deactivation. As it is right now, you can deactivate via the website, but you have to call or write to reactivate. It's both annoying and a waste of resources.

Anyway, the response I got indicates that they're working on character/account management for HJ.

That Jay
01-12-2009, 04:17 PM

I'm just happy that we had 50% more players than DR Platinum. 15>10! Yay us!

I just wish they'd take back Vyrshkhana.

Deathravin
01-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Something pretty minor and not related to in-game issues at all, so it's not very exciting. Basically, I suggested that they allow for reactivation of characters on an account via the website, just as they allow for character deactivation. As it is right now, you can deactivate via the website, but you have to call or write to reactivate. It's both annoying and a waste of resources.

Anyway, the response I got indicates that they're working on character/account management for HJ.

I'm sure Duke Nukem is being worked on too. But that doesn't mean we'll ever play it in our lifetime.

Back
01-12-2009, 07:30 PM

This is a really good idea on both sides. I bet Simu could charge a small fee for either service via their site and the players would not mind paying, as an example $1, for the convenience.

Methais
01-12-2009, 07:44 PM
This is a really good idea on both sides. I bet Simu could charge a small fee for either service via their site and the players would not mind paying, as an example $1, for the convenience.

Except Simu would never charge $1 when they'd rather charge $20.

Back
01-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Except Simu would never charge $1 when they'd rather charge $20.

True. Their extravagant monthly fees are why I don’t play anymore. I’d like to reactivate but I can’t justify the cost.

Methais
01-12-2009, 07:59 PM
I wonder if the people at Simu ever just sit there and are like, "Howcome hardly anyone plays Gemstone anymore? I just don't get it!"

Back
01-12-2009, 08:05 PM
I wonder if the people at Simu ever just sit there and are like, "Howcome hardly anyone plays Gemstone anymore? I just don't get it!"

It’s pretty clear they don’t have a good marketing department.

CrystalTears
01-12-2009, 08:08 PM
I think it's more like "cool, less people to bitch about shit we won't do for them, and definitely less people to babysit in the game".

Paradii
01-12-2009, 09:18 PM
I think it's more like "cool, less people to bitch about shit we won't do for them, and definitely less people to babysit in the game".

Then create the fallen with no babysitting, no promises of new skills, tricks, ect, and a cheap ass cost.

Rathgar
01-13-2009, 09:40 AM
Why Simu Takes So Long Getting Stuff Out: They use a all volunteer workforce, whenever they get it out, they get it out.

I for one will not be playing this game if their GM staff including coders and what not consists of volunteers. And BTW, they will be doing tier'd pricing in HJ as was said in the officials.

Blizzard, Funcom, SOE will all be scratching their heads as to why or how Simu is getting people to fork over 80 bucks a month for a subpar graphical game. (because by the time this comes out I'm almost certain Starwars MMO will come out and probably more).